Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser Momentum

Sennheiser Momentum

Pros: Well-balanced neutral sound that works well for many audio applications; excellent iDevice integration; superb remote control

Cons: Not a headphone for those who want to hear the smallest details in recordings; replacement remote control/mic slightly pricey

INTRO

I have been enjoyably appreciating the Sennheiser MOMENTUM since just before Christmas 2012 and continue to do so now as I type this.

The MOMENTUM is part of Sennheiser's Club Orpheus* flagship range of products - which also presently includes the HD 700, HD 800, RS 220, and IE 800 headphones as well as Sennheiser's newly released headphone amp the HDVD 800 / HDVD 600 - and is a beautifully-construced headphone with a high-quality sound that works well in a variety of listening settings.

DESIGN

Packaging

<br />

The MOMENTUM's packaging is similar to that of the Amperior (another recent and well-made addition to Sennheiser's product line) and by brief comparison is a definite improvement. Whilst the cardboard documentation holder that came with the Amperior has a tendency to fall out each time I open the box, the documentation holder of the MOMENTUM is securely epoxied in place and stays put when I open the box. It's a subtle improvement and one that shows me how Sennheiser are committed to improving their product line in every way, right down to the smallest detail.

After writing the previous paragraph I read the Amperior documentation where it reflected my statement and spoke of Sennheiser's dedication to "perfection down to the smallest detail." Need I say more.

The MOMENTUM's packaging has a blue band at the bottom that is similar to the packaging design of Blu Ray discs, which to me are often desired over DVDs. In that respect MOMENTUM is aptly packaged, as for me it is a more desirable headphone that many of the other similarly priced headphones currently available.

Carrying Case

AppleMark<br /> <br />

The carry case for the brown/metallic MOMENTUM is a brown colour and is sturdily-constructed. It's wonderful to have a solid-yet-stylish case to match the modern-retro design of the MOMENTUM which contributes to my reassurance of the headphone staying in fine condition and my vision of an enjoyable duration of my experience with it.

Remote Control

AppleMark<br /> <br />

The MOMENTUM's remote control cable is a thing of beauty. It is gorgeously-constructed and bends to terminate in either a straight or L-shaped jack plug. The buttons of the stylish and robust silver-coloured remote panel operate my iDevices with a satisfyingly subtle click.

I find that the spacing of the buttons allows for accurate functioning of the remote control. With other iDevice remotes I have found their buttons to be too closely spaced together and arranged in a way that sometimes my intention to adjust the volume would pause, fast-forward or rewind a track I'm listening to or even end a phone call, but every time I use the MOMENTUM's remote control, my intention for adjustment is met. The remote control is a joy to operate. It's a small detail and one that adds to the satisfaction of my listening experience.

Fit and Fashionable

AppleMark<br /> <br />

The MOMENTUM fits snugly over my ears and feels great to wear. However since receiving it and listening with it in bed, sometimes to meditation audio programs, I have fallen asleep with it on a few times and afterwards noticed that my ears and scalp had a slightly dull ache from the clamping pressure. People using the MOMENTUM for shorter periods of time will most probably be happy with it, as I am, and for those using the MOMENTUM for many hours at a time they will most probably notice a subtle outward stretch of the MOMENTUM's headband to sufficiently to reduce the clamping pressure to a lesser level.

The MOMENTUM is available in two colour-schemes, brown/metallic and black/red, the latter being a similar colour scheme to the immensely popular black/red coloured Beats headphones. I have the brown/metallic colour and love that it complements the colour of my red hair and the clothes that I wear, so much so that I've already (and gladly) worn the MOMENTUM as a fashion accessory/ear warmer when not listening to audio with it.

SOUND

AppleMark<br /> <br />

Enough foreplay. Let's talk about the MOMENTUM's sound. The MOMENTUM has the highest quality sound I have yet heard from a portable headphone and all things considered, I find it to be very enjoyable.

"This is awesome" were the first words that came to mind about the sound when I listened with the MOMENTUM to a track from Donald Fagen's album Sunken Condos. Everything sounded well balanced and quite neutral, though compared to my HD800 there was a noticeable lack in treble extension. The sound of the MOMENTUM is slightly on the warm side of neutral and due to its closed-back design provides a great deal of bass resonance, ideal for people using it when outdoors or in a noisy environment.

With the Jimi Hendrix/Band of Gypsys track "Power to Love", the MOMENTUM works a treat. Jimi's guitar sounds warm and refreshingly analog, Buddy Miles' drums sound dry and punchy, and Billy Cox's bass sounds full and slightly boomy as it vibrates in the MOMENTUM's earcups. At times, and being used to the HD 800, I wished the sound of the MOMENTUM was slightly less resonant, but when I started to listen to the details of the bass part on this recording, I could hear all the detail I wanted to hear, so thumbs up there. When the band kick in at around 0:19, the sound from the MOMENTUM rocks whilst retaining great attention to detail. Brilliant!

I enjoy listening to ambient music and sometimes guided meditation CDs. For me the smoothness of the MOMENTUM's sound works very well for those purposes facilitating a subtly detailed sound that is pleasurable to listen with.

Comparison with other Sennheiser headphones

AppleMark<br /> <br />

I'm writing this part of this review following a festive holiday in Germany where I also had the Sennheiser HD 800 and was editing some video footage of one of my recent musical performances** that I filmed with my portable digital video camcorder, which was positioned close to the drum kit I used in the video. The sound recording was quite clear overall but the sound of the hi-hats and cymbals was quite hot and slightly distorted. As I edited the footage I switched between the Amperior, the HD 800, and the MOMENTUM, and for the vast majority of my editing time preferred using the MOMENTUM due to how it softened the treble frequencies in a way that I found non-fatiguing and more palatable and enjoyable than with the Amperior or HD 800. The MOMENTUM's lesser ability to reveal as much micro detail as the other headphones was always more than enough and enjoyable. If there's one common factor true about my experience with the MOMENTUM so far, it's that I always find it very enjoyable.

The MOMENTUM and the HD 600, HD 650, and HD 800

When listening to some Jimi Hendrix Experience recordings I was curious to hear how the MOMENTUM compared with the Sennheiser HD series headphones. First I switched to the HD 600 and the sound felt a bit cold and flat by comparison though more neutral and revealing of instrumental textures and overall sonic detail. The HD 800, a much more revealing headphone that the HD 600, sounded fuller than the MOMENTUM and provided a much crisper and detailed sound, baring every nuance on the recording, especially in combination with the Lavry DA10 DAC/Amp. Considering the price of the MOMENTUM I found it held up very well with the HD 800, and whilst there's obviously no comparison between the technical capabilities of the MOMENTUM and the HD 800, I find the MOMENTUM every bit as enjoyable as the HD 800. I can imagine that there are many who may prefer the sound of the MOMENTUM over the HD 800, since the HD 800's ultra-revealing sound may not be to everyone's liking.

AppleMark<br /> <br />

In terms of my listening preferences - and this may be because my default go-to headphone is the Sennheiser HD 800 - when I have used the MOMENTUM for practical and analytical close-listening purposes including when learning song arrangements and drum parts for a gig, I have found the sound of the MOMENTUM to be slightly lacking in treble emphasis in relation to what my ears would perceive as 'natural' e.g. if I am at a concert and listening to a musician play live. This can of course be corrected by applying EQ via an iDevice's treble boost setting or using a portable amp, but all things considered I would prefer it if the MOMENTUM's sound had slightly more treble emphasis than it does. However the MOMENTUM'S stock sound remains excellent and I've enjoyed it every time I've listened with it.

Having tried some of the finest flagship headphones currently on the planet and listened to them critically, I have enjoyed them and also discovered many faults and discrepencies in their sonic characteristics, usually to the point of hearing the headphones and not enjoying the music that much. Since receiving the MOMENTUM and mainly listening to audiobooks and a miscellaneous selection of music in many styles. I've mainly just been enjoying the listening experience with the MOMENTUM, happily able to hear all the details in the recording that I want to.

Overall, surprised at how well the MOMENTUM performed with the HD 800, I find that the MOMENTUM has a high performance/price ratio and fares as a high-quality headphone that, unlike the HD 800, excellently lends itself to portable use.

The MOMENTUM and the Amperior

AppleMark<br /> <br />

Compared to the Amperior, a similarly-priced headphone by Sennheiser also well-suited to portable use with iDevices, the MOMENTUM has less sub bass resonance and emphasis and less treble prominence. That reminds me of how the HD 650 compares to the HD 600 in those areas. The MOMENTUM is no slouch in the bass department though and can ably deliver a viscerally-impactful sound, which in combination with it's closed design are qualities I find work very well for a portable headphone. I find, though by a small margin, that the MOMENTUM isn't as effective in providing as much clarity as the Amperior in noisy environments. For example, when in Germany editing the video footage I previously spoke of, there was some Christmas music playing in the background. With the Amperior I heard all the details I needed to hear when editing over and above the music playing in the same room and without turning my headphones up to a painfully loud volume, but the bass wasn't as clear and impactful when I used the MOMENTUM, which is something that people who normally use their headphones in noisy environments may wish to consider if they are choosing between the Amperior and the MOMENTUM and looking for the option that provides the most sound isolation.

The sound of the MOMENTUM is less upfront and more laid back than the Amperior, which is very adept at revealing musical details as is the MOMENTUM, though the latter seems geared less towards analysis of mirco-detail and more towards enjoyably listening to music, and according to my ears, it very much succeeds in that. Another significant sound difference is that the MOMENTUM offers a more spacious and open window to peer into recordings than the Amperior which portrays recordings with a more compressed, upfront, and intense sound.

OUTRO / SUMMARY

The MOMENTUM has proven a very neutral-sounding headphone which I have found enjoyable with all audio I have fed it. I have only had a desire not to use it for listening when wanting to compare it to another headphone or when watching movies or gaming, for which I prefer a brighter-sounding headphone that enhances the crisp visual detail on screen, but that's just my preference. The MOMENTUM can of course be enjoyably-used for all listening purposes, though some users such as audio professionals may want a more soncially-revealing headphone.

I think that for most music lovers who listen to music using an iDevice and/or a laptop or desktop computer and want a veratile headphone suitable for both purposes, purchasing the MOMENTUM - and a great value USB DAC/Amp such as the FiiO E17, which I also highly recommend - could very well be the best of both worlds.

The Sennheiser MOMENTUM is a fabulous choice for anyone wanting a stylish looking headphone that also sounds great overall. It works great with pretty much every audio I feed it, and with Sennheiser's readily available spare parts, could be a headphone than can be cherished for life. I highly recommend the Sennheiser MOMENTUM.

AppleMark<br /> <br />

*More info on Sennheiser's Club Orpheus range of products can be found here: http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/club_orpheus_club_orpheus_about

** Here is the video footage I edited with the MOMENTUM: Windsor with the Revelators - 2012 - part 1 - YouTube

P.S. here's my video review of the MOMENTUM

Pros: Gorgeous mids, great extended bass, no sibilance.

Cons: slighty lacking in treble "air", earcups won't comfortably fit larger ears, a little bit more definition in the bass would be nice.

Intro

The Sennheiser Momentums are my favorite pair of headphones that I own (including UE700's and the Senn HD650's).  I started a quest last year after buying a pair of (at that time) Monster Beats Solos.  Yeah, I bought into the hype.  I'm not gonna start a Beats-hating review here; suffice to say I wasn't satisfied, sold them, and looked elsewhere.  After weeks of reading reviews, going back and forth and hand-wringing over which pair to buy, I settled on the Ultrasone Pro-900's.  While I loved the 900's ultra-high resolution bass and extended treble, the mids weren't doing it for me; voices and guitars sounded too distant for my taste.  I listen primarily to rock (including prog, metal, etc.), and the Ultrasones held me at a distance.  I decided to go back to my original first choice: the Momentums.

Gear used

• Toshiba Satellite Laptop running Jriver Media Center
  • Grant Fidelity Tubedac-11 w/headphone out
  • Ipod classic (7th Gen)
  • Fiio Mont Blanc (E12)

Overall Impressions

I love the look of these headphones: they're elegant without being flashy and plastic-y  Love the leather earcups as they're really comfortable on my fairly average size ears.  The non-resonant metal injected ear cups are lightweight, but very sturdy-no unwanted vibrations will occur there.  The sliders stay in place and don't move unless I adjust them; they haven't loosened in the last year of heavy use.  I've travelled extensively with them, and pack them in a backpack for work nearly every day.  Very durable headphones (survived an attack by a five month old German Shepherd).

Treble

The treble response is almost perfect for me.  Absolutely no sibilance with a very nice tonality to cymbals as well as a decent representation of the room sound while recording or the reverb applied during mixing.  The last bit of "air" is missing from the Momentums, they're not going to emulate Beyer T1's or the Senn flagship 800's, but on their own merits sound great.  Slayer's "War Ensemble" sounded clear and powerful through the Momentums, but in the drum fills during the opening riff, the room sounds slightly smaller compared to the Ultrasone Pro 900's which have quite extended treble.  The Eagles "One of These Nights" sounded terrific and full, but again, the very top end of the spectrum seemed a bit muted, the reverb on Henley's lead vocal is slightly less prominent.  Mind you, these are minor gripes, and if a listener is not coming from a more treble accentuated pair of cans, they would probably be perfectly content. Overall, really great sounding, non-eardrum abusing treble.

Mids

Simply Gorgeous.  These are simply the best mids I've heard on a dynamic headset, open or closed, imo.  Tone is the operating word: gorgeous tone.  Now, the HD650's are known for their "liquid" midrange.  I often listen to them myself through a Bottlehead Crack Amplifier, and I ultimately prefer the rendering on the Momentums.  Compared to the mids on the 650's, which to me seem a little forward compared to both the bass and the treble, the Momentums seem to me a little better balanced.  The new driver that was developed for these cans just sound so clean and "grain-less".  On Simple Red's Greatest Hits, Sade Lover's Live, or No Doubt's Push and Shove, the vocals all sound incredibly real and immediate.  Mick's voice on "Holding Back the Years" is warm and full; Sade's vocals on "Cherish the Day" and "No Ordinary Love" are superb: Gwen's voice on "One More Summer", "Easy" and "Gravity" sounds like you've got a direct connection to the mic.  Just great stuff.  I think the transducer Sennheiser developed for the momentum is better at producing realistic midrange than even the vaunted HD-6xx series drivers.  Compared to the Momentums, the 650's seem to have a little bit of "glare" in comparison.  Not a huge difference, mind you, I just prefer the slightly more natural rendering on the little bros.

Bass

Much has been made by the purists of the bass boost on these cans.  It's very light.  Imo, the bass is only there when it is called for in the mix; if a mix is bass-light, the Momentums will sound accordingly.  If the mix is bass-heavy, there will be a nice, visceral impact that's fairly linear from 20-100 Hz.  This is not one of those uncalled-for mid-bass bumps where the low freqs drop of precipitously after impact.  Oh, yeah, the bass doesn't bleed into the lower mids, either.  That is one of my pet peeves with lesser cans: the coloration of the entire spectrum to dark.  These are definitely warm cans, but not overly so.  Rather, they are sculpted by the Senn engineers to be both hi-fi and entertaining.  Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy Soundtrack is a terrific example of low bass impact, and the Momentums deliver nicely.  On "Derezzed", the impact is huge, and the sub bass resonates through your head.  These are not so-called "basshead" cans, but any time I lend these to a coworker that listens to hip-hop or electronica, they're always impressed by the overall balance ( and I never seem to hear they're lacking in bass).  If you'd like to check out a couple guitar-oriented tracks with tremendous low bass presence, check out Joe Satriani's "Tumble" single or the title track to "Is There Love in Space?"

Soundstage/Imaging

A few quick words on Soundstage Imaging of these cans: to me, the difference between open and closed cans is relatively minimal when is comes to soundstage.  To my ears, the Momentums don't sound terribly congested compared to the legendary 650's, rather the 650's feel more open because there is less air compression against the ear and side of the head due to the open design.  The Momentums have greater sub-bass response due to their closed design.  Both designs have rolled off upper treble response which for me makes more of a difference than the open/closed back issue.  I know that closed back designs generally can have higher measured distortion in the bass, but in my experience it's not audible.  These cans are seriously clean sounding.

Amping

These are easy to drive headphones with a nominal impedance of 32 ohms resistance.  That being said, they benefit from quality amplification.  Upon first listen they sound fine, but if even a modest amp like a Fiio E6 is added, there is a noticeable difference in quality and impact with the added headroom.  I'm currently running my Momentums off a ipod Classic 7th Gen with Fiio E12 amp hooked up to the ipod line out.  I have found instrument separation and bass impact to have benefitted greatly from the E12 compared to the standard ipod jack.

Final thoughts

The Sennheiser Momentum Over-ear Headphones are a superb piece of design and a great value for head-fi enthusiasts who want a quality product that will compare favorably with more expensive headphones and in some ways, surpass them.  I've been listening for a year now, and if anything were to happen to my Momentums, I wouldn't hesitate to go out and buy another pair.  My Momentums are comfort food for my ears.

Pros: Amazing package, truly world class, engineering and material are amazing, sound matches up to the build quality

Cons: Honestly, nothing.

Sennheiser is one of the old players when it comes to high-end headphones and their top tier products are rightly recognized as world class. Rightly so, the Sennheiser heritage produces quality, refined products that excite the listener.

I have been looking for a new set of cans for a while, and although I have been tempted by other brands I always come back to Sennheiser as I know the quality is there.

So, having done my research I finally homed in on the Momentums. Before I continue lets clear up a couple of points, firstly, these are are branded as circumaural, which means the cups don't touch your ears but, rather, entirely enclose them. This is not quite the case, unless you have small ears. These are more on-ear (supra-aural) rather than over-ear. Secondly, these have are ridiculously easy to drive, they come in at 18 ohms, which is similar to many earbud or IEM's so you will have no problems running these with your portable DAP without an amp.

Okay, firstly the packaging. One word, sumptuous, the box is very thick card and has a hinged lid, a red ribbon prevents it opening past 90 degrees. There is die-cut foam inside, cradling the headphone carry case. There is also a card envelope built in to the foam which contains product literature.

Once you get the cans out of the box the first ting that hits you is the carry case. This is semi-hard and custom made for the Momentums. I have read complaints regarding the case being too big but it is custom-made and I don't really see how it could be any smaller. Personally I have no issues with the size.

Inside the carry case, you of course find the cans, there is also a small recess with a velcro'ed lid that holds the cable attached to the phones, spare cable and a 6.5mm adaptor jack.

The cables included are both 3.5mm, one has a controller for making voice calls with a compatible iphone and the other is a bog standard cable. The iphone cable has an interesting jack that can be bent to 90 degrees or left straight (or any position in between). A nice feature.

The cables themselves are red and rubbery feeling, they complement the red stitching beautifully and microphonics are almost non-existent.

Okay, the cans themselves, these need to be seen and felt and smelt to be believed, very high end materials here, the headband is brushed steel with a satin finish, the leather pad is thin and has red stitching to contrast the leather. The cans are some kind of injection moulded plastic with glass in them and have a very tactile feel. The earpads are just lovely, fine black leather that cradles the ear without making it too hot. Basically, you won't be embarrassed walking around with these on, they look amazing.

what about the sound? Well this is where Sennheiser has scored a slam-dunk. The sound is stunning. I have given mine about 20 hours burn-in and have been really impressed with the quality of the sound.

I use FLAC files on a rockboxed Sansa clip-zip and have been really, really happy with the sound.

If I could describe the sound in a short phrase it would be analytical but warm and forgiving. A bit contradictory I know but there you are.

BASS - this is not a basshead set of cans, but the bass is present, polite and thumping without overwhelming. I would not consider the bass to be watery or tame, it has impact but does not drown out the other frequencies.

MIDS - Oh baby, this is where the momentums excel, mids are just lovely, sparkly, and fast. Rock and vocals are handled with aplomb and given centre-stage. Very luscious and defined, everything from dance to classic to metal is handled with speed and confidence. Gorgeous

Highs - the highs are rendered very well too, there is no sibilance and no fatigue, very well mannered and rendered with precision but they do not pierce at all.

SOUNDSTAGE - being enclosed cans these offer an intimate soundstage which is not congested and allows you to locate instruments.

OVERALL - I have been walking around with a smile on my face listening to my music with the Momentums, they are really stunning and worth the asking price. I have been particularly impressed with how they render drums, you can really feel the impact of the sticks and they are lively, warm and full of detail. I noticed this when listening to Linkin Park and Grizzly Bear, they have life and impact way beyond what my previous set-up offered.

If you are serious about headphones and are willing to shell out big bucks on inferior brands like Bose, Beats etc then go ahead, be a marketing victim. But, if you actually want world class sound, high end build quality and a listening experience I guarantee will put a huge grin on your face take a long look at these.

The Momentums are one of the most 'sorted' set of cans Sennheiser has ever made, they are highly regarded on forums populated by fussy audiophiles and they are an absolute treat.

Recommended.

****** I have been using these a lot since getting them a week ago and they are still impressing me with every piece of music I put through them. I have found they excel at layered electronic music like Orbital, Lemonjelly, FSOL etc. They handle the sweeps and analogue sounds with accuracy and warmth, the new Orbital album, Wonky, has come alive with these cans, the first song has layers of soundbites of different voices and the Momentums pick out each voice clearly. A genuinely impressive and high end set of cans with a warmth and sound signature that is becoming more attractive the more I listen to them *********

Pros: balanced sound - fit majority of genre out there , detailed resolving of sounds frequencies

Cons: 1. small headphone size feels head cramping discomfort over long hours 2. average soundstage

A trendy and stylish offering by Sennheiser.   Choice of colours and design seems to be targeting at teenagers and younger adults with a taste of design simplicity.    Sound quality is typical sennheiser - well rounded bass with moderate impact, no boom boom rolls., clear mids only slight warm , clear treble - doesn't roll too much, no sibilance.

What i don't like as follows;

1. I extend it to largest possible size on the headstrap .. still feels crampy on my head after fitting it on

2. ear pads gets warm on ears after 30 mins

3. soundstage size medium , and imaging is only average - i feel like 20 percent larger than a good audiophile earphone.   this is probably a design limitation as in order to keep this earphone

small and compact, the drivers cannot be positioned further away from the ears to create larger soundstage

4. would be really good if it can be collapsed and folded.  It cannot be folded and who in the world will carry that large semi-hard case (thats comes with the headphone) on the go ? -

For the same price , i would have better get a audiophile earpbuds and least it's easy to use it on the move.   If you're looking to use this at work or at home, for this price i would have purchased a larger headphone with better soundstage and more fuller sound dynamic sound qualities.   Unfortunately sennheisser momentum sits in between portability and headphone audio qualities but does not fare well in either each area.,

Pros: Build quality, sound qualit, asthetics

Cons: Nothing worth noting

I have an Audio Technica and Sennheiser open over ear headphones and was looking for a closed portable, iPhone compatible one which is top notch in sound quality, not the kinds of VModa or Beats crap. I got the Beats as a gift. Brought the bets back and put some extra money to buy these. This was the best decision I made. The looks are great. Sound is top notch, Sennheiser quality. Build is particularly solid. Love each inch of it and the sound coming out of it. My ears are large and somewhat brush the leather a little bit for these over the ear cans. The gentle pressure and soft leather does not cause any discomfort of any sort. I broke them in with music and white noise over night and they sounded even great. Another masterpiece by Sennheiser. I would rate it at 4.9. The slight 0.1 point deducted for the aspect that they do not fold though the included case is pretty sturdy, just like the cans. These are 18ohm cans and built to be driven with portable players. Sound is very balanced. They do have bass but very balanced and controlled. Mids and highs sound nice and flat, not over exaggerated. The highs are a bit rolled off but I think that's more of the characteristic of the closed ear headphone. My open ear surely have a better sound stage but then they leak a lot of sound and are not good as a portable headset. Within portables, i cannot stand the sound of noise cancelling ones plus they make me dizzy. Wish these were just a tiny bit better and were fold able then they would have been completel price justified. Right now, though I LOVE them, I wish they were more of about $280. These are a keeper none the less.

Pros: Sound Quality, Design, Build, Detachable Cable

Cons: Inline controls and mic not working on my Android device

I've been listening to these headphones everyday for a full month, and I gotta say I loved every minute I've listened to them.

OK, so I might lack experience doing this review because these are my first true high quality headphones, and I have not listened to all the reference headphones out there, and lack all the lingo used in these forums, but I try to review them as a normal person who was looking for an audio quality leap.

I come from the Shure SE215 and the Sennheiser HD449, and although they are quite good for their own merits, the Momentums have been a massive increase in sound quality. I'm not gonna say the typical "you hear stuff on your music you probably never heard before", but the music indeed sounds fuller, more natural, more lively. Instrument separation is greater, and you feel more immerse in your listening sessions.

I bought these headphones out of curiosity, I was quite satisfied with my older headphones, but I always wondered how a 300€ headphones sounded, what true quality sound really meant. So I bought them as an impulse, but haven't regreted since. Even when they are much more expensive than I was willing to pay for.

So now I'm gonna justify the stars given in this review:

Value: 5 Stars

Although I stated before that these headphones come more expensive than I was ever was willing to pay for a piece of metal and plastic, I haven't regreted. I payed a little bit less than the retail price, at 240€ these babies have a high value.

Audio Quality: 5 Stars

These headphones sound fantastic. Period. Everything feels so accurate, so natural, so full, so vivid. From the first time I put them on, I felt something different about them, it's not something you fall in love gradually as you discover what these phones are capable of, no. You love these instantly. Alright, I sometimes feel like the mids are juuust a bit recessed, but just a bit, sometimes the voice get lost in between the instruments, but only on some recordings. It's not something to call a flaw, more like a taste in sound signature, but it doesn't bother me that much, if at all.

I listen mainly to Blink 182, Green Day, Good Charlotte, and some other punk rock bands. I listen   to some Beatles, some Bob Marley, some 80's synthpop, some Metallica, some other thrash bands, some Jpop. And I can't find any flaw worth mentioning out of the generes I listen to. Guitars feel alive, specially Green Day's reefs. Voices feel live too, some Adele, some Air Supply, some Pet Shop Boys and Tear for Fears  are really something in these headphones.

OK so my source might not be the greatest (Xperia S), but it sounds very transparent and balanced.. Plugging them into my PC provide a  wider soundstage, and somewhat accentuated bass response, but they sound a bit harsh and tiring, alonside with some hiss on the background. I'm definetively looking forward into plugging them on a higher quality source.

Design: 5 Stars

So classy, so different from your average urban headphones. Everything feels high quality, from the steel of the headband to the softness of the leather pads. It is a mix of retro look and modern finishing. Very cool looking headphones.

Detachable/replaceable cable is a great addition, specially to me, who have had his bunny chewing a couple of headphones cables before.

Inline controls nor mic don't work on my device, but I wasn't looking for a headset headphone, If it worked it would have been a plus, not working doesn't substract points.

Confort: 4.5 Stars

They are very confortable. The softness provided by the leather pads feels great, the cushions seat around my ears as they were meant to be, although bigger ears might find them a bit unconfortable, for me they are just right. Clamping force is spot on, it neither feels too strong or too light. You never get tired of having them on.

I've rated them 0.5 points away from 5 stars because when I'm not wearing them on the ears I really don't know what to do with them, they feel very unconfortable being worn as a necklace. Sometimes I just let the pads like on my forhead to move the head around freely, because as necklace they really hinder your head movements. Maybe a minor gripe, but I'm always on the go, so I need some time to let my ears rest from hearing music, It's not like they sound harsh or tiring, but hey, having some peace and quiet is nice after rocking out for an hour or two.

So in the end I rate them 5 stars overall, because these headphones are outstanding, 300+ dollars might not be your everyday purchase for the mere mortals who don't have 5000$ to spend on a cable or an amp. But they are totally worth it. Look it more as an investment. And if you have some cash and you rock the streets everyday like I do, they are really the headphones to look into. Both for sound quality and outstanding urban look.

I think that's about it, excuse my rather poor english and lack of especialized words, but I wanted to rate them as the ignorant of the HIFI world I am.

Pros: Warm, smooth and engaging high fidelity audio. Gorgeous design with quality materials. Very comfortable (for me). Very light.

Cons: Slightly excessive mid-bass and laid-back top-end may turn off purists. Soundstage isn't great. Remote volume up/down only usable on i-devices.

On sound alone, the Sennheiser Momentums are worth every penny. But aside from being wonderful sounding, the elegant design is beautiful and luxuriant with stainless steel band, real leather and quality plastic cups in a nice, dark bronze finish. The standard cable is also very high quality, with a substantial metal remote attached to it.

The case isn't as large and bulky as I expected from reviews, and it's sturdy enough to keep the headphones safe under most circumstances.

They are very comfortable. The light weight and the materials inside the earcups ensure the fit is great, with minimal headband pressure and without heating up your ears. The cups are on the small side, so if you have large ears you can expect a tight fit. Isolation is very good, not class leading but good enough to shut out most unwanted noises.

Sound wise, Sennheiser really nailed this one. The Momentum is one of the best sounding portable headphones available at any price; they even are good enough to be compared to the better sounding sealed headphones out there meant for home use. I've been through most of the competition from Logitech, Ultrasone (specifically, the ED8), Sony, AKG, B&W, Focal etc and the only headphones I've heard that actually better the Momentum on audio quality alone are the recently released KEF M500s and B&W P7s.

The sound of the Momentum is a little on the mellow side, with a mid-bass presence definitely (but tastefully) north of neutral and a treble to the other way around. And it's actually a good tonal balance for a portable headphone; because when out and about a bass boost is preferred in most scenarios, and the laid-back treble makes the Momentum forgiving with poorer recordings. But the great thing is that the bass isn't TOO much and the treble isn't TOO laid-back. And the Momentum has very good clarity so while the tonality is definitely dark and mellow, details and upper harmonics don't get completely smeared as there is plenty of detail resolution available. Putting aside the ups and downs (literally) at the frequency extremes, the Momentum is a very transparent sounding headphone.

While always with a slightly thick texture, the bass of the Momentum is well defined and quite tight for a sealed headphone. Extension is very good and it doesn't feel very bloated or slow. And the treble is very good for a portable headphone, too. It has its issues, but for most people I think it will be appreciated, especially as it's so forgiving.

And the midrange is among the very best I've heard from portable headphones. Rich, natural, yummy and open sounding. While the headphone does lack some soundstage depth and therefore can sound a little congested overall, the midrange itself on the Momentum doesn't feel closed in at all. The midrange transits into the treble very well. I have issues with the slight thickness due to the bass and the lack of upper midrange air and presence due to the recessed treble.  But other than that, things sounds very nice and inviting.

With the Momentum, Sennheiser made the ideal on-the-go headphone. You get a transparent and natural sound that you can listen to for hours and that suits portable use, and you get this great sound in a portable, comfortable, practical and beautiful package.

Great job, Sennheiser!

Pros: All day comfy, good bass response, stylish, excellent case, replaceable cable

Cons: case bulky,

Very impressed with the Sennhesier Momentum's. Sound is fairly balanced with clear highs & lows. They're stylish without being 'in your face' like various brands such as Beats. The quality of the leather on the earcups is impressive and I'm finding that I can use them for a couple of hours at a time with no discomfort.

Using them straight into my iPhone 4S and 320kbps tracks from spotify is giving me excellent sound and I'm happy to use these without my Fiio E17 so that I can make / receive calls whilst out & about. Call quality is good and no one has commented on external sounds or sounding distant.

Sound isolation is surprisingly good and I'm happy to use these on my daily train journey into London and home. It also helps that the Momentum's are relatively lightweight compared to other headphones that I've used.

I love the case supplied, it's well thought out, lightweight and the biggest plus being that there is no faffing around having to remove the cable to put them away, a small compartment takes care of that. It is however slightly too bulky for my normal work bag - however I did buy that to tote around a MacBook Air + iPad, so it is smaller than most.

Overall they are stylish in an under stated way and sound is pretty impressive and I'm happy to use the Momentum's on a daily basis.

Bought in the UK for £250

Video review and pics below

Pros: They're comfortable. Sound quality isn't bad

Cons: They're ugly, they aren't exciting, they're poorly built, they're not worth the money

I got these headphones about a year ago. During this years I used these headphones on a constant basis. I had previously upgraded from the Sennheiser Amperior which hurt my ears (because the on ear design crushes the shape of my ears). Getting into the details

Build quality:

Where do I even start? The flimsy stainless steel headband. Some of the metal in the headband is cut out making it forked. Immediate when I first got it I was disappointed. It feels flimsy and it actually bends! I'm not kidding. I'm not talking about flexing. I think most headphone bands are flexible. I mean you can bend it into different positions. I shouldn't have to worry about bending my headphones. I have to mention this IN BOLD PRINT: The cables are crap. Both of the cables that came with the headphones broke within half a year apart of each other. There are two cables that come with the headphones. One with volume control and one without volume control. Both of the cables break near the plug that goes into your audio device. Cables that only last half a year are very bad. They don't work on android or old apple devices.

The look:

These headphones have leather on them. I didn't think about it when I first ordered them, because I was too enthralled with the good reviews to be thinking clearly. What the hell though, leather? Is this the stone age? Leather is very susceptible to wear. I had a leather jacket when I was younger and I couldn't wear it in the rain, I couldn't throw it in a wad, and it would tear and I had to get it fixed. It's not a practical material. The headband just curves around the head in kind of a unnatural looking way. It leaves a lot of space between the head and arches awkwardly. The earphone cups look average. You'd think I got these at a clearance sale at target for some headphones going for a faux designer look. I hate the way these things look. The Amperior (or the Aluminum as they call it now), kills this thing in terms of looks. I love the utilitarian look of the Amperior.

Comfort:

I gotta give it to Sennheiser, these things are comfy. Much more comfortable than the Amperior. I can wear them on my head for quite a while and I never get hurt. So stars to the Momentum, for not causing me pain...

The Sound:

So here's what everyone cares about. The sound. Well I'm not impressed. I tried a pair of Sennheiser Amperior headphones TWICE. The difference between the Amperior and the Momentum is the Amperior is fun, and the Momentum is dull. They're both detailed. The Momentum is laid back though. It has an edge over the Amperior in sound stage. It's not like the Sennheiser HD650 where I hear things coming out of the headphone and I have to take them off to see if the sound came from the headphones or inside the room. I listen to mostly extreme metal and hardcore punk type stuff, with the occasional indie rock, post rock, shoegaze, slowcore, folk, and whatever else thrown in for good measure. I'm kind of split between the sound of the Amperior and the Momentum though. Because while the Amperior was "fun", it wasn't actually that fun... it just had a brighter sound. The Momentums are not very bright, but they are a tad more spacious than the Amperior. I would choose the Momentums over the Amperior in terms of sound quality. Not sure if it gets much better in terms of portable. I'm just an average customer, not some tycoon who can test out all the brands. So I won't try to act like I have the last word on their sound over some of the experts in sound quality here at Head Fi.

In conclusion, I feel ripped off. I know everyone likes these headphones, but they just have way too many drawbacks. I wish I would have gotten the V-Modas back when I was deciding what portable headphones to get. The new V-Moda XS just came out and I might end up getting those. I'm not sure yet. Don't buy these if you don't want to feel ripped off.

Pros: Very warm mids, great overall construction, fantastic design, descent isolation

Cons: Lacks detail, almost no soundstage, earpads very small, expensive

I've owned the Sennheiser Momentum for about a year now. Though it is aesthetically pleasing, and very sturdy overall, I can honestly say that it isn't worth the $300.

I enjoyed the mids, which are very warm and smooth. However, treble sounds very veiled. I enjoy headphones that roll off a bit on the treble, but the Momentums just take it too far, yielding very muddy high frequencies. Bass is adequate, even without an amp, but again, the lack of detail hits the bass hard. I believe these headphones simply lack detail in all frequencies, and while the mids benefit from that by acquiring the warmness that acoustically pleasing, the other frequencies fall behind quite a bit.

The soundstage is almost nonexistent. I have owned cheaper closed headphones and IEMs that produce a much better soundstage. The isolation is fairly good though, so I can't complain too much.

The leather earpads are nice and soft, however, they don't do much to help comfort for those of us who have larger ears. The Momentums simply are too darn small to feel comfortable, and I had to constantly take them off and have a break because my ears were hurting quite a bit. If you wear glasses, it's a lot worse. They are very light, however, so if you have small ears, I'm sure these will work fine for you. The clamping pressure can begin to hurt your scalp after long periods, but this isn't too much of a problem (or, more accurately, it is simply a problem for so many headphones that it is easy to overlook).

Also, the leather does wear down quite quickly.

Though these headphones don't need an amp, I did have to turn the volume up to 90% on my iPhone to get to a descent volume. I didn't notice much of an improvement in sound quality when I did use an amp, however, they do become significantly louder. Sadly, due to the fact that they are a very slow, closed headphone, turning the volume up a little will result in a further loss in quality.

As far as the design, these headphones do look very nice. They are sturdy, and I never found myself worried about breaking them. That alone might be enough to make this headphone worthwhile to some. However, again, I simply don't think it's worth the $300 it costs.

Overall, it's just too expensive to recommend. Again, I own other headphones that are cheaper, sound better, and are much more comfortable than the Momentums.

Sennheiser Momentum

The MOMENTUM headphones makes the famous Sennheiser sound quality tangible. It is reflected in the material selection of these refined headphones – the use of supple, breathable leather for the headband and earcups, displays our commitment to style. Reflecting its technical excellence is the use of high-performance neodymium magnets for extraordinarily rich and detailed stereo sound. Also, the circumaural capsules ensures perfect listening enjoyment without ambient noise. For excellent connectivity, the headphones are fitted with a 3.5 mm stereo jack and with nominal impedance reduced for mobile players. An additional cable with an integrated smart remote and microphone is included for easy management of tracks and calls. Features: Closed design – Closed circumaural headphone design isolate against ambient noise Ease of use – Integrated smart remote with in-line microphone for ease of use Finely selected materials – Luxurious and tough breathable leather headband for optimum sweat and water resistance Premium comfort – Soft and supple finest leather earpads for excellent wearing comfort Maximum durability – Metal-constructed earcup slider for maximum durability and custom fit Convenience at its best – Hard carrying case for maximum portability 2 year warranty

Video interview with Axell Grell, senior acoustic engineer at Sennheiser talking about the new Momentum's.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser Momentum