Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones › Reviews › The Fed's Review

The Sennheiser HD 650 - Greatest Ever... Really?

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones

The Fed
Posted · Updated · 83873 Views · 10 Comments

Pros: Smooth Presentation, a linear, stout sound at louder volumes.

Cons: build quality is meh! Overall sound is too recessed and lacks weight

The praise that has been heaped upon the Sennheiser HD650 headphone is something that probably every headphone OEM envies. The HD-650 is nearly a decade old and yet is still viewed by many as a top tier dynamic, worthy flagship and is the benchmark that many measure price to performance ratio against.

I personally was cruising along quite happy with my set up… Running almost exclusively between Denon D5000’s and Ultrasone Pro900’s I felt I had the best of both worlds. Since I love the visceral impact of good bass in my music, these two pieces seemed to be perfectly tailored to my listening habits.

The Denon gave me a little more reasonable treble energy and a little less sibilance when I needed it for something more complex and diverse, while the Pro 900 gave me that sub woofer for your ear feel that just flat out slams your ear drums. With a decent DAC/ desktop amp set up I am usually able to apply a 6kHz to 8kHz cut the smoothly equalizes the sound to eliminate that “ESSS” sounding ear razor that the Pro900 is so infamous for.

However somewhere along the way the constant gushing over the Sennheiser HD650 got to me. Specifically Mike from Headfonia repeatedly claiming that it was the ultimate king of bass impact…. He never said king of bass quality, quantity…. He always spoke of the HD650 in terms of “Impact”.This should get just about any hard core and well funded bass head’s juices flowing and so I began looking at the viable options for acquiring this apparent low frequency giant. And so after parting ways with most of my portable equipment, I was flush enough with cash to purchase my own set of the venerable HD650.

I will start out by saying that because of all the talk of the ‘luscious mids’, smooth highs and world class low frequencies my expectations with this headphone were near off the chart…. I have since done the same thing with my first attempt at the  Audeze LCD2. The LCD2 albeit a very good headphone, was so overblown in my mind that by the time I actually listened to it, I was disappointed. That had far more to do with my overblown expectations than anything... because second time around... being aware of how much darker the LCD2 was than its Hifiman counterparts.... I have found a place for the LCD2 in my stable.

But by the time the Sennheiser headphone had finally arrived, it was competing with dare I say unrealistic and extreme expectations and was pretty much behind the 8 Ball from the start.

Build & Design

The Sennheiser HD650 is certainly a dated design. There are dozens of headphones on the market in the same price point that are better dressed. Most $500 headphones have premium materials such as aluminum, leather and wood worked into the build. The Sennheiser headphone is almost exclusively plastic. It is a shiny, cheap feeling plastic on virtually every exterior surface sans the grill, ear pads, retainer ring and bottom of the headband. Detail items like the "Left" and "Right" indicators are simply cast into the grey plastic.... this build quality seems unfit for a legacy flagship.... Obviously its been a long time since this headphone was brought to market and Sennheiser was working in the pre-Beats era back when they designed it, long before headphones were valued as a fashion accessory and long before OEM's thought they could make flagships with price tags north of $1000. Sennheiser's HD800 and HD700 show they clearly can design a top tier headphone both in sonic character and design quality, but the HD650 is still asking $500 USD and doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy out of the box once you've got it in your hands, at least it didn't for me.

The headphone is extremely light. Many in the community would give it points for this and they are certainly entitled to their opinion. However I personally see this as a demerit. Speaking strictly in terms of assessing an items value from a subjective aesthetic viewpoint, the Sennheiser headphone appears to be made of cheaper, less durable materials. I am not going to strain my neck if a headphone is north of 400 grams. The Hifiman HE400 weighs in at a hefty 440 grams and is perfectly comfortable to me, the Denon D5k weighs in around 360 and is probably the most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. If one is spending $75.00 on a beater set of portable cans, an expendable gamer headset or a cheapie like Superlux or Porta Pros (of which I am a fan)  then by all means they should be and can be as light as a feather without raising eyebrows. But at $500 out the door for a former flagship headphone that was intended for listening at home through a serious system... I don’t know.... I just expected something a little more substantial.

The other crux of this featherweight value is that in order to keep it properly seated on the listeners head, Sennheiser had to crank up the clamping force. Otherwise the light weight construction leaves it prone to moving too easily as its own has little resistive value on its own. The clamping force is something that many have commented through the years as a supposed 'death grip'... Once again just like the HE400 won't break my neck, the clamping force on the HD650 is not going to crush my skull. It is certainly wound a bit tighter than most, but the clamping force seems to have been measured perfectly to counteract the lightweight construction's tendency towards moving easily.... this is a nod to the design engineers.

Right off the bat my delusions of grandeur were dispelled. It is certainly nicer looking than its faux marble clad brother the 600 however as a supposed flagship headphone of such universal praise, I was underwhelmed by the look and build quality. Those who think this is immaterial are kidding themselves.... Aesthetics have value to the consuming public and audiophiles are not immune... The hif world is littered with glitzy machine tone arms, anodized aluminum faceplates with machine metal knobs, high gloss enamel finishes, wood side panels.. etc....etc...

The die-hard says that this is simply an indicator that they chose to pour all their cash into sound quality. OK maybe this is true.... lets see.

Hook It Up! And Wait.

I did not want to be hasty with a plug and play attitude as I had heard that the out of the box, plug and play sound of the HD650 was disappointing (I heard this about 10 hours after I purchased it sadly) but that a 100 hours of burn in would get you a somewhat matured sounding headphone, so onto the vintage Realistic 64B it went. This older vintage rig is hooked up in a file cabinet at work and so can burn in a headphone out of site and outta mind while I still enjoy music on my main headphone rig…. A Violectric V100 tethered to a Laptop running JRiver via my Rega DAC with a Wyred 4 Sound uLink handling conversion duties to SPDIF.

100 Hours - Impressions

After it had burned half the day on Thursday and all day Friday, Saturday and Sunday by the time I got in to work on Monday the 650 had clocked roughly 96 hours of burn in time. I plugged it into the Violectric V100 and listened to some newer redbook CD rips. Muse 2nd Law, Foo Fighters Wasting Light, and Gaslight Anthem The 59 Sound.

The HD650 is not a bass head can. That is my first impression. Where the hell is this supposed ultimate bass weight?

A couple of local Head-Fiers down here in the Southland told me the 650 was really amp picky and that I would do better with a tube amp like a Woo WA6 or Bottlehead Crack. However my headphone amp is a Violectric amp which is what Sennheiser uses in their “Hall of Fame” set up and is one of Sennheiser’s Senior Project Manager Axel Grell's favorite amps for his own listening. A couple others mentioned changing the cable to a Cardas one, and one guy said I might need a different DAC to get the most out of it.

So in order to get the Sennheiser HD650 to sound good what I needed to do was:

• Get a different amp
  • Get a different cable
  • Get a different DAC

Maybe I should get a different source, different interconnects, a new power conditioner and stop using CD's while I am at it eh? Mind you I do see where some could see this headphone as all they need and build out their entire system around it.... searching for another .5% of improvement with each piece of the puzzle... but I have already built my system(s) and am not really inclined to do a whole lot of kit rolling in order to optimize the synergy with this lone headphone when I have a half dozen others that sound fantastic through the rigs as is.

So my immediate disappointment with the bass could’ve derailed this whole review. I was expecting Pro900 bass or Denon D5k bass without the 7khz ear razors or recessed mids... What I got was an all too polite rendition of EVERYTHING.

The low frequencies are extended, there is textural information galore, you can really hear the stick or the tom on the drum skins, the full decay of bass strings, mid range is sweet and smooth, and there is plenty, and I mean plenty, of high frequency detail and sonic information. Anyone who says the HD650 does not have enough treble energy or detail is, to these ears, not hearing straight.

But that ultimate bass weight, that Mike implicates all the time, it is not here IMHO.

The low frequency, midrange and treble are all recessed quite a bit. They do not hit you in the side of the head with impact. They don't even touch you. If this is what people are speaking of when they say the 650 is veiled then yes, it is veiled, but not in the sense that a certain portion of the frequency range is somewhat blurry or hidden.... Its more about air pressure that makes a headphone felt as well as heard. Open architecture does limit this but I've heard better open backs at giving you punch.

I will hop on my soap box right here and say that one part of a headphone experience that is vital to me, is the overall weight of a headphones tone. I am not specifically talking about bass extension or articulation or even the bass frequencies in particular. What I am saying is that headphones with a tonal density to them…. A robust acoustic mass that move some air pressure to bring the music more to life…. That is critical for enjoying music in my book. Otherwise it sounds like music but doesn't feel like it.

It may not be critical for monitoring, mixing or mastering in a studio, or DJing or even for being an audiophile who wants to sample 24/192 and DSD audio tracks like they are a damn 10 year old Pinot Noir… but for the average Joe like myself who wants to simply strap on a set of headphones, cue up an album, hit play, sit back and enjoy some music…. The overall presentation doesn’t need to be “forward” but it needs to be felt as well as heard.

Oldies like Buddy Holly, Sam Cooke, and Bob Marley all have strong drums and bass rhythm that is presented most natural when the full weight of the instruments is presented... the kick drum and bass line at the opening of Dock of the Bay sets a strong foundation for Otis and the guitar to build off of. Alternative music like Smashing Pumpkins,  The Pixies, Jawbreaker, Dirtbombs, and Blur all have bass and drums that need punch. Punk rock and other guitar driven music like Social D, Operation Ivy, Van Halen, Bad Religion, The Ramones, Rancid, The Strokes, Vampire Weekend, Weezer, Gaslight Anthem.... they all have rhythm sections, and natural timbre that is presented best when it is presented with a fully developed low end.

Most people would rather listen to music through a great set of speakers because the music can be felt in your bones and people go to concerts because the live performance trumps every other experience. I saw Muse at Staples Center a month ago and the bass and drums absolutely rattled my bones, the light show was stunning and their stage set was unbelievable but the drums, synthesizer and dubstep wobbles that they used a lot in 2nd law, they literally vibrated you right down to your spine.... Just vibrating you right down to your soul. And that is why 50,000 pack stadiums every night to see performances. Because the music overwhelms your senses.

To me, listening at home through a set of headphones should be a tamed extension of that experience. Obviously headphones can't give you what a like concert can... nor can they give you what well crafted speakers can, and speakers can't give you want amps and guitars and miked up drums can.... but each should have a measure of the other. The HD650, although tonally sweet and smooth and carrying some weight in its tone is similar but a bit more recessed than the Audeze LCD2, it just holds you too far back from the music FOR MY TASTE. It left me wanting for something more!

The HD650 often gets the compliment that "I could fall asleep with these on" and that to me sums up the HD650 perfectly.... It's kinda boring.

The HE400/ HD650 issue.

I’ve have had a few people ask me which I prefer. The HE400 on the surface has a little more low end rumble but its acoustic chops max out well short of the Sennheiser’s limit. That additional 260 Ohms of professional tuned impedance allows the 650 to fill out much fuller, more powerfully and more linearly when the volume pot starts rolling clockwise. This is where the 650 can start gaining back some ground.

At lower listening levels the HE400 is a far better choice. It gives you a tad more flesh to sink your teeth into. A bit more punch in the low end and a livewire mid range that’s tipped up just enough to make rock music sound amazing. But as we travel up the volume ladder the Sennheiser becomes more stable and stout in its presentation, everything fills in evenly. The lows get stronger as the mids get sweeter and highs get more…. crisp. The HE400 although good to a point, begins to get crispy and its budget level planar membrane starts to show. I could live with either, but if I could only have one, it’d probably be the 650. However if I had less current available in my amp and was working with a more budget system... I would probably lean towards the HE400.... even though it tends to get a little fuzzy and distorted when it is under powered. It's basic presentation with a modest amp is a little more enjoyable.

Johnny Come Lately – The X1 P

Phillips open back X1 is priced a hundred short of the 650. But there are obvious similarities. Open back design, midrange price point. But one would assume that its beautiful aluminum cups, velvet ear pads, and leather headband come at a sonic price.

The X1 is a gorgeous looking headphone. I dare say I prefer the look of it and feel of it over all my others. The only one that I’d chalk up as near even would be the Denon D5k. With wood, pleather, magnesium and aluminum, the Denon is another headphone that has a luxurious look and feel to it, but the X1 is simply gorgeous. People like to contrast it against the Sennheiser Momentum…. No, the Momentum doesn’t hold a candle.

The 650 is the technically superior headphone. For the same reasons the HE400 couldn’t hang, the X1 can’t either… It doesn’t have that same ultimate linearity that the Sennheiser has when current starts flowing from the amp. But the X1 has a more impactful and bass head friendly tone. It is rich and creamy and fun. Its bass slams harder, it's musical vibe is just funner. It can also get a little crispy and sibilant in the upper register when volumes start creeping up whereas the 650 stays tight and smooth.  The Sennheiser is still the “better” headphone. But for a music lover like me I am not sure how important that is. Lately the X1 has been getting a ton of head time and that speaks to its engaging tone. It gives me that 'felt as well as heard' sound that I crave.

VS. My Favorites

Against both of my closed back favorites, the Sennheiser once again has a very natural tone, very sweet mid range, and a nice open soundstage but the Denon D5k and JVC DX700 are simply more dynamic more emotionally engaging, and just plain more musical. The punch is there with both, but the JVC DX700 ups the ante by giving a sound stage worthy of an open back phone and providing not quite as linear but still fairly linear sound as things get louder and louder. I would choose the Denon and the JVC DX700 over the 650 every time. It simply doesn't give you as much of the song as they do. It is truncated in its presentation it sounds thin and lifeless compared to the two Japanese headphones. They are just too well rounded, dynamic and potent for the 650 (IMHO).

The D5k will get crispy and hot long before the HD650 does, but this only comes at volume levels well north of normal listening (even for young folk). Up until the point where the Denon gets speed wobbles it is, in my mind, a superior closed back design to the HD650's open back. At least from a music lover's perspective..... from a technical guy's perspective, yeah the 650 probably has it.... but I play music through my headphones, so the Denon would be the one I'd grab off a sinking boat.

One thing that is important to note is that headphones like the X1, D5K and Ultrasone Pro are not good on an integrated amp like my Sui 517.... the Sui has a very high output impedance... because of that the X1, D5k and Pro900 all have horrible damping factors and sound bloated and loose..... the Senn doesn't suffer the same fate and actually benefits from the added warmth injected by the high output impedance of the headphone jack on the 517.

The HE400 does not have the same problems as the others, both it and the LCD2 play beautifully with the Sui 517..... This is where the Sennheiser headphone belongs... connected to a large, powerful integrated amp with a tipped up output impedance that adds warmth and body to its otherwise thin tone.

WRAP IT UP!

In closing the Sennheiser is by most normal youthful standards a little light in the ass. Some would call that a veil or laid back but it’s not laid back to me… That denotes a mellow, relaxing sound.

The caveat to that would be in a full size stereo rig.... In those scenarios the 650 sounds a lot better than most modern 32 ohm headphones.... The only 2 in my collection that best it on the integrated amp scene are my planar headphones... both of which have flat phase response and so don't do the poorly damped thing.... But in a typical dedicated headphone setting.... to me, the 650 is a bit boring. You are held back just a bit too far from the song to truly enjoy it. I dare say that the hype may be a bit overblown….. at the very least it does not line up very well with my taste.

Mind you I didn't write this review to deride anyone who loves the HD650.... and I'm sure those of you that are fans of it will continue to enjoy it. But I do think there are a lot of people running around this site looking for answers, not wanting to spend their hard earned cash poorly.... and most people use this site to inform their future purchases. Because of some of the descriptive words I have heard people use, I think someone could get the wrong idea about the sound of the 650... when people call it dark, warm and full bodied.... I don't know that these words do the phones tone justice. At least not without building your entire system around the HD650. Contrasted against the greater landscape it is a bit light and lacking in body. Someone needs to say that.

So I hope I do not get flamed but I think that someone out there deserves to get a little objectivity on this headphone rather than just more gushing about "greatest ever". No I am not a Beyer or AKG fan boy going subterfuge.. I am just an average consumer with average taste and listening habits trying to give others like me some reasonable perspective.

I suppose if you dedicate all your resources to just this one headphone, you can make it sound spectacular.... But to the average head-fier who has the same low riding, subwoofin tendencies that I do. Who listens to Muse, Foo, the Black Keys, Gaslight Anthem, The Strokes.... modern music.... this may not be such a strong fit.

Just saying.

Great review Ted, nice to see some critic notes to so (over)praised headphones.
But I think your review is not complete until you list headphones that are up to your liking, compared to HD650, so a fellow reader may get a better context for your review.
Fair point. I'll revise to give context.
Seems like mismatch between music genre preference and headphone than anything else
I do think that the build quality could be better but come on, do you really prefer lead on your head than feather when you listen to music on home? really?
what we need is to change some cables, foam, tubes, and reassemble the dac amp combo...and the hd650 will truly shine...like the one in my room...sonic gold. lol
I failed the first time i had the 650 n sold it.. this is my 2nd attempt.
Bravo Ted! I have had my HD 650 for about three years now hooked up to a Little Dot Mk IV tube amp and pretty much agree with you. It wasn't until I got a Beyer T1 that I noticed the difference.
@ Woid...I assume you also noticed the price difference?

I've heard the T1s and wouldn't trade my 650s for them unless it was to sell the T1s, re-buy the 650s and also get some 600s for when I wanted things a bit brighter... just my ears' preference. To be fair, I should also say I use them balanced.
UGH, More "newbies" trying to review great Audio products.........

When you can FALL ASLEEP with your Headphones on, - that means they are some GOOOOOOOOOD HEADPHONES !!!!!!

I thought that would be very clear with HD650, best Naturally sounding headphones EVER MADE SO FAR, and they have Enough of High Quality, non-fatiguing bass too !

newbies...
Come on dude! Don't be an ass.
I have no problem with 650 apologists arguing their point... but don't belittle and act dismissive like other points of view are just dumb kids who don't know any better. !

Newbie... I'm friggin 40 years old and have been listening to music with headphones since I was a kid..... And beyond headphones I've been playing and listening to music seriously since forever.... calling someone  a newbie like they don't know what music "should" sound like is the tired old saw of elite audiophiles.

Sorry but to me... for $500 bucks... the Senn is a dated design with sub par dynamics....and the veil gets in the way of me enjoying my music.... And that is my point of view, with my music tastes...

I've made it pretty clear that I'm not from the stuffy Stereophile set that is playing Dianne Krall, Norah Jones, Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" and Chesky records all the time because they sound better with my equipment... I listen to my music and the equipment needs to work with my library.... not visa versa.

So I wrote the review to inform other peoples purchases... I'm sure there are plenty out there who would be disappointed if they bought the 650.... and don't have the means or desire to build an entire system around a single set of headphones. So the review is for them....

If you disagree... no worries... they are just headphones after all!
But don't be a dick about it!
I don't know anyone in the know who's paid $500 for their 650s...Massdrop just had them for $349 which is closer to what most end up paying. I've heard some of the best cans around (including the ones you prefer) and have to say I just plain disagree with your assessment of the HD650s.

I agree with "laon" who commented that your preferred genres of music might not give the best impression of the 650s.

Balanced with a good cable these cans are addictive. Great recordings sound superb and poor ones become far more listenable. There are of course better cans but they cost a lot more than even the full $500.