Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones › Reviews › Rawdawg3234's Review

Great detail

A Review On: Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones

Rawdawg3234

Pros: Good soundstage and mids

Cons: Lack of bass and veil

This was my favorite headphone for some time. Mainly because its the first decent pair I owned.
However as I listened to other cans these became less and less important. Now all I see when I look at them is a plain headphone with dull sound.

A 3 in Audio Quality? Ouch.
@CashNotCredit i think he means his ear have a rating of 3/5 :))
i would agree with that 3/5 esp if he is comparing it to the likes of the hd800, lcd2 ect..
You don't actually need to compare these to more expensive headphones to give them 3/5 for audio quality or even lower. Just compare them to more natural/neutral sounding phones in their own class, like AKG or Beyerdynamic, and you will be amazed. After owning HD650 for 5 years I was still waiting for the string musicians in the symphony orchestra to take off the mutes of their instruments. Sorry, but this headphone is not adequate for all kinds of music. Classical and jazz lovers should definately look elsewhere.
Everyone has the sound that they are looking for in general and for specific genres. I would disagree that these are dull or not good all-rounders. Most people who think these are muted or veiled tend to like the phones with over emphasized treble as this give the impression of better detail. If you are looking for a warm, easy to listen to sound with good detail and treble, than these are fantastic. I listen to a lot of classical and jazz and I think these do a great job of giving natural weight to string instruments and a lushness to voices. Plus these scale wonderfully. I already enjoyed these with all genres with a Nuforce HDP, but once I heard them on a $3500 Ray Samuels Darkstar, I finally understood what these are really capable of. I felt like I was in the room with the jazz singer that was playing.
"Plain headphone with dull sound". That's just not a very fair review - it's at best an extreme simplification of what may or may not be a well-founded opinion.