Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones

Rated #39 in Over-Ear

Sponsored

Get the latest news and updates at the Sennheiser sponsor page.

Pros: Very comfortable, Good sound quality

Cons: Weak bass, Headband cracks after about 2 months

First, I would like to say that the HD 595 are an excellent audiophile entry headphones, they are very very comfortable. I can wear them for about 8+ hours with no discomfort at all. Sometimes, I even forget that I am wearing them!

When I first put them on, they felt a little weird on my ears, the ear cups are very large but I soon got used to it. I did not say wow! or anything like that when I first heard them but after a while I start to hear all the little details that have been missing. I think that the HD 595 are very balanced and neutral headphones but they lack bass. I have auditioned (and owned) a lot of headphones and the HD 595 are one of the most darkest sounding headphones I have ever heard.

Summary: If you're are looking for an audiophile headphones that wont require an amp, and is a little tight on budget, you cant go wrong with the HD 595.

Pros: Detailed, comfortable (further review upon re-possession...)

Cons: Pitiful bass, leak massive sound & provides little isolation (I guess as any open-back headphones would) (further review upon re-possession...)

The Sennheiser HD 595's were on sale on Amazon recently for $150 and I was just furious when I heard them.  Expecting something godly for the price they're originally at, especially considering their size, I got not even a minimal kind of wow factor and rather, instantaneous notations of flaws.  I must say, in the end, I was satisfied IN GENERAL with the sound, but with no complaints maybe if they were priced at $100 AS THE ORIGINAL.  I STRONGLY prefer my $60 Brainwavz M2 IEM's (which I got for $35) in almost every regard, and that's just absurd no matter how objectively you could look at it...

Further review upon re-possession of headphones...

Pros: Flat frequency response, uncolored sound - nice and neutral!

Cons: Some people don't like neutral sounding cans

I have been using these everyday for about 2 weeks now and here are my initial thoughts:

1. The delivery of the musical soundstage isn't distracting in any way. Some people don't like this, as increased bass response or sharper highs are often valued - but I LOVE the flat, neutral sound of these cans. Music sounds as it should: detailed and harmonic. The cans don't get in the way and let the music shine through. Nice job Sennheiser.
  2. Some folks have commented on the bass response. Again, this comes down to personal preference. I don't particularly like increased bass response, but prefer a tighter sound in the bass. These cans deliver tight, controlled bass.
  3. I listen to all types of music: electronica is energetic and detailed, as are all of my jazz tracks. You can really make out the pluck of the bass and the grumble of the bari sax. I have REALLY enjoyed listening to Tchaikovsky as well, the soundstage is open and again - uncolored.
  4. Though I use a small amp at home, I've taken these out with my iPad and was pleasantly surprised. They are efficient enough to sound really great with portable devices.
  5. My only gripe about these cans is the amount of plastic used in construction. I realize that they are $300 retail, but I feel like Sennheiser could have made these a bit more beefy - more metal hinges, a metal headband, etc. The ear pads are very comfortable, and the cans are lightweight for all day use - I just find myself being extra careful.

Overall, I LOVE these cans. The neutral sound and wear comfort make them my favorite thus far. I see myself getting many years of happy listening out of them!

Cheers,
AO

Pros: very comfy, neutral sound, non-fatiguing

Cons: boring, somewhat dry, slightly bass shy

the hd595 were my first nice set of nice cans.

and, as a result they will always have a special place in my heart.

at $190 street price (as of this review), though, there are just so many other cans out there right now that will give you much more excitement for your dollar.

thing is, the hd595 borders on boring, in my opinion.

yes, they are fairly neutral, have a pretty respectable amount of detail retrieval, and are very comfortable to wear and listen to for hours.  sure, part of the whole "forget you are wearing them" thing is the comfort.  but another reason is the somewhat flat sound signature.

overall, i liked them fairly well.  but, quickly found that scaling up from the $190 hd595 to a $230 DT990 yielded a substantial improvement in sound quality.  i'm sorry to say that, in hindsight, this makes the 595 look a little overpriced.

Pros: Polite headphones

Cons: Lacking bass

Only 3 headphones in my collection are better thank HD595: AKG-Q701, HD600, HD650.

Compared to HD595 For sound AKG-Q701 is a superior buy for the price. It has good comfort and decent fit and finish.

All open Senn headphones have Superior comfort, fit and finish. Althought the HD595 is a step down in sound from the AKG-Q701 it has everything else beat.

But I would say if you have 200 bucks, get the AKG-Q701. For the price, I have to admit the AKG are a fantastic value. Spending anything more, get the HD600 series. The Q701 is $250 bucks for HD600 series sound.

Pros: Supreme comfort, supreme long-term listening, works with most music, easily amped by common sources

Cons: A little too "repressed" for rock n' roll, atrocious 1/4 to 1/8 adapter

I've owned these Senns for over 3 years, and don't plan on getting rid of them either, even having bought an audibly superior set of phones from a competitor. Hopefully that says a lot - these are too good to just abandon, but not quite good enough to have satisfied me til death do us part. I have discovered that they fare even better with a quality Amp/DAC solution, which was a nice surprise. With better equipment, they certainly hold their own against my HE-400s, and call the value of the extra-costs of buying the HE-400s into question. But, without question, their performance has some limits which coaxed me to finally  move on.

I find these phones to be extremely enjoyable for low-moderate volume listening and long wearing periods. They are very comfortable, light, and the 1-sided cord doesn't get in the way often.

The design is tasteful. The headband and velour pads are soft, supportive, and overall a sense of quality is conveyed. The cups adjust to your head 'automatically', though I have noticed that positioning has an effect on the overall sound - it is easy to fall in and out of the 'sweet spot'. Stock cord includes a 1/4 inch plug, which should have been a 1/8 since I've never in my life used them with something that had such a jack. The adapter sucks - put it on and you have a stiff 4 inch long plug hanging precariously off your laptop, phone, Mp3 player, or computer. I was too cheap to replace this, and luckily no accidents so far. I never cared for the color scheme, which is somewhat too drab for me. But these are light, comfortable, and have proved durable. Minimal signs of wear in the years I've had them, and absolutely no issues.

Sound quality is superb across a wide-range of music formats, with a very detailed sound, fairly textured bass, good vocals, and a slightly forward (but polite) treble response. I think the sound is best at low-mid levels, as they can seem a little too forward and "fall apart" a bit at high volumes. They otherwise have a nice punchy mid bass with most music, and a slightly aggressive presentation which is more spacious than most other phones I've tried. They are well balanced, and the sound is generally never fatiguing if volume levels are kept in check. They are excellent for very-long listening sessions. I can't recommend them for rock and metal, as they are a little too laid-back to make those their best formats. I can't recommend them for "bass heads", as these cans are geared more toward those who appreciate a balanced presentation.

These are an excellent choice for those who want to experience a high end sound at a reasonable price, and who want to avoid investing in expensive audio equipment to enjoy them. As a result of owning these, I would not hesitate to purchase other higher-end Sennheiser product. I would simply be cautious about choosing among them, as I like headphones that presents modern rock, pop, and metal in a more transparent and energized fashion, and Sennheiser seems to err on 'comfort' over exitement.

Pros: Comfortable and geat sound

Cons: lacking bass before burn in and stock cable

I have had these headphones for around 3 years now and love them. When I first got them I admit the bass was a bit weak as most people point out but with some burn in they really started to liven up. They are also very comfortable, I can wear them all day with no discomfort and sometimes forget I even have them on. My only issue with them was the stock cable. The stock cable is quite long, not overly flexible and is terminated in a 6.5mm jack. All of these things combined make for uncomfortable portable listening. I upgraded the stock cable with a custom cable made by Double Helix and haven't looked back.

Highly recommended at a reasonable price.

Pros: Amazingly Comfortable, Great Detail and Balance, Attractive Design, Minimal Distortion

Cons: None Yet

These were the first pair of over-ear Sennheiser headphones I purchased, and I had no idea how much detail I had previously been missing in the high and mid range. I also had no idea how comfortable a pair of headphones could actually be. I've owned them for over four years now and haven't experienced any quality issues. The headband and all aesthetic aspects of the headphone look as good as new, and the sound quality is as fantastic as ever. I found the bass of these headphones to be accurate and sufficient without sacrificing balance and detail. You probably shouldn't get these if you're looking for heavy bass or noise isolation but if you want great comfort, detail, and balance then these really are hard to beat at this price range.

Pros: Comfort

Cons: build quality, drivers, etc.

My trust in Sennheiser is gone

For more detailed review on the sound itself there is alot of other really good reviews..this review focus on value for money.

Short said... Don't buy

Been a fan of sennheiser for many years...my trust is now completely gone!!!
I own 4 pairs of sennheiser, HD650, 595 and two pairs of in-ear... always use my HD650 at home and the in-ears when im on the move.

A few years back i spend money on a pair of hd 595's to use on the move but never really used them because the in-ears is easier to carry with me.
I put my 595's in the 650 casing where they have been for two years since i dont use them. The 595's are as new... the cord has the same folds as when i brought them... even the new smell is still there.
The other day i decided to give them a try...and so i did.
I noticed a faulty resonance in the left driver so i opened them and found to my surprice that the driver was not in "shape" so i carefully corrected the driver. It turns out that it was not the cause of the problem... the driver was simply defect.

Since the 595's was as new i decided to search for a new driver for them... and hopefully free of charge from sennheiser since i never used the headphones (even the 24 months warrenty is over i would expect sennheiser to deliver free of charge as good costumer service since this clearly is defect caused before it was packed)
I searched the internet for a spare driver and found posts from people with same problem.
Also found out that my Sennheiser 595 headphone holds same driver as hd555!!! only difference is that sennheiser adds a piece of foam in 555 to block some of the frequency. So if you remove the piece of foam on the 555 you get a pair of 595.
On top of that i find the build quality og 555 to be better than 595. I allways had the belive that the money spend extra on 595 was put in the drivers... not true!!! Sennheiser cheats.

This link clearly shows the driver is the same:

Been told that the price for the 595 driver is higher even its the same driver as 555!? which means that sennheiser is selling the same driver at two different prices.

Have always recomended Sennheiser to my friends etc. but that is now in the past. MY TRUST IN SENNHEISER IS COMPLETELY GONE.

To correct...Sennheiser now sells the 555/595 driver at same price....57$ each!!!!! that's 114$ for a pair of  spare drivers (without shipping)!!!

My best set of cans to date : Summary of my opinion

Pros::

Top Notch sound

Superb soundstage

Can be driven by iPods Very comfortable

Cons::

A detachable cable like the HD485 would have made these my #1

Could have a more durable headband.

Sennheiser HD 595 Headphones

The HD 595 is the premier headphone in the new 500 Series. It boasts a new level of comfort and sound quality. Features include our E.A.R technology and a highly constant,compressed cellulose fleece to reduce total harmonic distortion. Velour earpads and high-quality leatherette headband both provide outstanding comfort.

BindingElectronics
BrandSennheiser
EAN4012418053437
FeatureLightweight aluminum voice coils for high efficiency and excellent dynamics
Height0.39 inches
FormatCD
Hardware PlatformPC
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Legal DisclaimerShipping is 3-5 days FedEx or UPS with tracking number. Brand New. Continental USA street address ONLY, we do not ship to P/O box, APO, AE, or international addresses
Operating SystemN/A
Warranty2 years warranty
Special FeaturesThe open, dynamic HD 595s open up a new dimension in headphone sound and comfort. Sennheiser?s most advanced driver technology is used here, combining exceptional clarity with outstanding musicality. The unique E.A.R. design channels music directly into the user?s ears, creating a new kind of listening experience. The HD 595s come with a clever headphone bracket that easily attaches to a table or shelf, making sure that the headphones are always at hand.
Product Type Subcategory2300799