Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone

Rated #2 in On-Ear

Sponsored

Get the latest news and updates at the Sennheiser sponsor page.

Pros: Indestructible, comfortable, well-isolating, great detail and clarity

Cons: Fairly analytical sound, treble can be aggressive and unnatural, small soundstage

The HD25-1 has been my favorite (trans)portable headphone for quite a few months. I spend a few nights a week away from my home rig and the HD25 works wonders with my iBasso D10 and netbook. Hi-fi on the go has never been so rugged and simple. Best of all is their sonic versatility – though my backup portables, the AKG K181Dj, excel with certain genres and recordings, the Sennheisers perform more than adequately with anything I can throw at them.

Build Quality: When it comes to build quality, Sennheiser’s flagship portables can do no wrong. The structure of the HD25 is painfully elementary. They are neither flat-folding nor collapsible, with very simple rotating joints and removable metal hardware. The rough black plastic is resistant to cracks and scratches. A thick and sturdy steel cable, terminated in a beefy L-plug, completes the picture. The headphones are also very light and not likely to get damaged from falls. Lastly, every single part of the headphones is user-replaceable. From the detachable cabling to the headband padding to the cups and joints, the HD25 can be disassembled completely in just a few minutes.

Comfort: The HD25 is surprisingly light compared to headphones such as the AKG K181 and M-Audio Q40. The adjustable dual headband exerts very little pressure – the majority of the force is applied by the supraaural coupling. Though clamping force is fairly strong in the HD25, the structure does a great job of distributing it over the entire surface of the pads. The cups have a good range of motion despite lacking any joints whatsoever and conform very well to the shape of one’s head. Vinyl pads come installed on stock HD25s but some versions include the optional velour pads as well. Even if that isn’t the case, at $7+shipping the velour pads are a worthy investment, providing a comfort improvement at the expense of a tiny bit of isolation. Overall comfort falls just behind the likes of the impossibly light Senn PX100s and the circumaural CAL!.

Isolation: Though in general portable headphones can never isolate as well as IEMs, the HD25 can compete with certain shallow-insertion in-ears. While the vinyl pads isolate just a bit more than the velour ones, the tradeoff is unlikely to be worth it for most users. Even with the velour pads the isolation crown of the HD25-1 can be usurped only the hard-clamping AKGs and only if you’re lucky enough to get the AKGs to seal properly.

Sound: Upon first hearing the HD25-1 I was absolutely convinced that I would be giving them a perfect score in sound quality. Having owned them for a while, however, I can’t help but notice that for $200 headphones they are just slightly lacking here and there. But the fact that I am still using them as my primary portables is certainly telling of the fact that they are a competitive product. They are well-balanced, have good clarity and detail, and are quite transparent when it comes to sources. The bass is tight and accurate. It’s hard-hitting in character and more punchy than powerful as opposed to something like the K181Dj or M-Audio Q40. It has impressive extension, though it won’t keep up with the M-Audios down to the lowest reaches. It is also well-textured and does not bleed into the midrange. For a portable headphone the quantity of bass is just right – a bit more than what one would expect from an analytical headphone but far from AKG K81/K181 quantity.

The mids are neutral, clear, and detailed. Articulation is very good and sounds are well-separated. However, the HD25 is lacking noticeably in both soundstage width and depth, at least when compared to most full-size headphones. Most of the other closed portables I own don’t exactly shine in soundstaging either but I can’t help but be disappointed that the smaller and cheaper PX200-II has a more spacious sound. Sheer size aside, soundstage positioning is fairly precise and instrumental separation is excellent on all but the densest tracks. Towards the upper midrange the HD25-1 struggles to stay smooth and as a result is very unforgiving of sibilant tracks. The high end is quite present and reasonably extended but comes off a bit edgy and clinical at times. The overall sound, though, is quite pleasant and works particularly well for genres not dependent on soundstage size for the full experience. All of my quibbles aside, the HD25 is as good for use on the go as any portable headphone I have heard.

Value. (MSRP: $299.95; Street Price: $199) By far the most expensive headphone of the bunch, both in street price and MSRP, the HD25-1 is on another level in terms of balance and detail compared to all of the other featured portables. Compared, however, to full-size cans in the price range, as it sometimes is, the HD25 can come off as dull and rather compressed-sounding because of the narrow stage. The hard treble can also be a bit fatiguing for home use. But of course such comparisons are unfair precisely because I am not comfortable wearing my full-size cans outside while using the HD25 comes naturally. It is this versatility that makes the Sennheisers well-worth the $200 price tag and one of the easiest portable headphones to recommend.

Manufacturer Specs:
Frequency Response:16-22,000 Hz
Impedance:70 Ω
Sensitivity:120 dB SPL/1mW
Cord:5ft (1.5m), single-sided; Angled Plug
Space-Saving Mechanism:N/A

-----------------------------------------------

To see how the HD25s compare to the other portables in my collection please see here.

Pros: Light weight, portable

Cons: Hate plastic, uncomfortable, painful, not ergonomical , highs are too aggressive

Sennheiser HD25-II is one of hot model in on-ear headphone. I buy it because of high rating from different users.

However, i feel very disappointed when I use it.

First of all, the headband structure is too tight. It makes my head painful and can't wear for more than 5 minutes, 1 song?!

Bass, quite strong

Mids - not natural

Highs - clear, but the highs are too aggressive. It hurts my ear when listening for long time.

I can't use it for more than 5 mins because of the headband pinching force. No matter how the sound is, the headphone is useless for a user if they can't use it daily.

Sorry about that. Sennheiser.

Pros: accurate, very good imaging, portable, replaceable parts

Cons: comfort for others

The HD 25 series has been around for 15 years and this has been my 2nd purchase of the famed dual-band headphone.

233

Value: 10 years ago, if you are purchasing a $200 headphone it would've sounded absurd. Thanks to Beats by Dre, $200 headphones are now a steal. For $200, you get 2 pairs of ear pads (1) velour and (1) synthetic, also you get a nylon carrying bag, and of course the star of the show, the HD 25-1 II.

Audio Quality: HD25s are a favorite among DJs and broadcasters, although it is primarily designed for studio use, I rarely see this headphone used for mixing and remastering. The most common headphone, I see in studios are the ATH-M50 and SRH-840s.

Bass: It is there, present and just about right for a variety of tracks such as rock, hiphop, jazz, RnB, acoustic. But, if you are a basshead, this might not be for you. Bass is not deep as the ATH-M50s and the pacing is not as fast. This headphone will suffer from house music and dubstep.

Mids: Now this is HD25s cream, the mids are very revealing, it is an ENG headphone after all, it will be unforgiving on bad recorded tracks as you will hear all the pops on the vocals. This is great if you like absolute precision when mixing. And, those who love vocals will definitely enjoy this.

Highs: Average, rolled-off in some tunes, very common in studio headphones. Purposely done, not to fatigue your ears for long listening session.

Design and Comfort: HD25s are a ruggedly designed headphones, they are used almost everywhere by professionals. It is a favorite among DJs because of its isolation. This headphone can cancel out 20db of noise, better than those noise-cancelling headphones with batteries. Standing right into a noisy washing machine, I can't hear a thing with only 60% volume from an iPod, that's amazing. With isolation, you lose comfort. But in my case, I find this headphone very comfortable, the padding are well-balanced to distribute the clamping force of the band.

LL.jpg

If you have a small ear, then it be uncomfortable. For medium and large ears, they'll be comfy since they will sit just on the inner side of the ear. Build quality is very good, plastics are tough, but not as polished as say Audio-Technicas. The plastics on the HD-25s are unpolished and raw. But, since I own this for 10 years, they are very reliable.

Split band will secure the headphone better, although, I'm not a fan of it. I use them as a single band. Also, there are a lot of aftermarket parts for this headphone, no worrying in breaking them. Replaceable ear cups, headband, cables with different flavors, ear pads and more.

LL.jpg

Overall: The past 10 years, nothing has changed. But, this little headphone will continue to wow new enthusiasts and it will continue on production forever. If there is something to improve, it is to polish the plastic make it look more presentable and classy. Overall, it is still a highly recommended headphone, and it is my favorite DJ headphone for the clubs and commute.

Pros: Small, lightweigt, solid, interchangable parts, easy to fall in love with.

Cons: minor cons. as in easy to look past, due to all the pros.

Being a non-professional, but a general music lover, My review will probably be in layman's terms, but why not. It will give the perspective from someone that observe music in a different way than the purely analytic fashion.

Once, I had a great home stereo consisting of NAD CD-player, amplifier and B&W speakers with some fancy cabling. -So I am not completely rookie regarding what sounds good and not. Neither am I a person that thinks that resonating boomboxes (cars) driving by is coolz because of lotz of basz. I like to hear all kinds of music. Anything from Mozart'ish music to music 'designed for serious PA-systems'.

Being without my stereo for the longest time and getting tired of the 'noise' rendered by my speakers integrated in the laptop, I figured out it was beyond due time to get myself some headphones. Getting a proper soundsystem is out of the question due to limited space and girlfriend.

First problem was: What am I looking for. Go for a pair that is more fitting for the stuff you listen to the most. If You only listen to classical orchestras and alike, I guess You should stop reading. You need to look for stax-phones. Very Expensive. Only worth having if you are a feinschmecker.

My playlist when trying out music is stuff like Deep Purple, Child in Time, Roger Waters Amused to Death, preferably the whole album. Nina Simone, Feeling good, Peggy Lee, Fever, Jazz, Blues. That kind.

That'll tell me wether there is bass at all, if there is decent mid-range, and also if the treble is non-offensive.

By reading a lot of reviews, these phones came out pretty good. Although! -The impression I was given by other reviews were that they were a little expensive compared to the sound given. This was when my critically inclined mental alarmbells went off. Things like being warm, 'muffled', having a 'veil' between the music and ear, making the music feel distant. I then recalled the good old days, where I built my own speakers, -the horror of screwing up the expensive hobby project, just to later have that Aha!- feeling of having to actually 'run in' the speakers before they are able to show off what they are good for.

Eventually, I decided for  these ones. I know Sennheiser from before, and I have never had/heard about any real issues about them before, Not being tempted by any fancy modern bling with buttons, sliders and glossy paper/plastic, I found a dusty box pushed in the back of the shelf.

The reviews were per se correct. warm, muffled, not very precise music. -So I bought them.

Day one. One big ''Meh. I exchanged the fake skin pads with the velour ones. Much more comfy.

and playing music, wearing them for six hours, before my ears got physically tired. I have a small head by the way. If you have a full size head, perhaps consider something else. They are a little tight, but I am trying to expand the headband(s) a little by the use of something wider than my head. This is probably the only minor con i have with the HD 25-1 II.

Day two. Sleeping well, doing other stuff, going back to my headphones, turn on the music. Same repertoire as yesterday. - There is a difference already. there is actually a soundstage there now, albeit small. they veil is disappearing and it doesn't sound that warm and muffled anymore. It is not neutral sound, but on the other hand, if I were to listen to a lot of classical, I wouldn't buy 'rock-speakers' anyways. I read reviews about how the phones were lacking in the upper levels, that sounds like -'S', -'SH', -'CH' etc would be... ...not perfect. Well, day two improved from day one in this aspect too.

The bass wasn't 'fluffy' anymore, but still deep. actually plenty deep, imo. and the midrange had improved a lot. from having to 'look' for it, to get it all the way to your ear without having to notice it was missing. Six hours, before they get uncomfy. -and after six hours, anyone will get tired in their heads/ears.

The headbands are not noticeable... ...and the cable is not in the way, nor noticeable.

Day three. Hah. Even better. After a total of 18 hours, the phones are now ready to be listened to.

You could say the virginity of it is now gone, and it is ready for some proper exercise and training.

I am not going to blast the volume on max for any reason, just so its said, but now i don't mind my equally critical friends to listen to them.

Day four. time to write a review.

I can only assume the sound in them will get better and better as time goes by.

The only, and ONLY thing that would make these better, were if the sound picture was wider and deeper.

It isn't a must, but it would be nice. After listening to High-end systems with SNELL speakers, more expensive than my pants can carry the cash, an open environment, -or the lack of it iin this case -will be burnt into your mind, and one will never be completely satisfied, unless buying super expensive stax with equally expensive amplifier(s), used on an equally expensive high end stereo setup.

These are lightweight, durable, good bass, good mid-range, good treble, even for sibilant music (Beware of Justin Bieber... ...the phones can't take that. The speakers will crack and fall into a hot,deep pit where beelzebub and his minions are removing impurities from the liquids in their forges.)

Seriously, the higher areas of music are just fine in these phones. -already by day three/four.

Every part can be exchanged.

If only the Amperior was cheaper, I'd go for that one. It is better, but kinda expensive if one doesn't have the money for it, you know what i say.

All in all. You can't go wrong with these ones. -unless you have extrordinaire music taste, are analythical instead of enjoying the music, like a nice glass of brewerage. I don't taste and spit the red wine. I drink it, and enjoy it for what its worth..

Pros: no headphone hair, in-your-face sound

Cons: exposed wires, clamping force

Seriously, these things are built to last. When the apocalypse occurs in 2012, this Sennheiser would be left intact (maybe the wires would get destroyed). And for future generations of the human race (or whoever takes over the earth), they would be a relic of the old world.

I own two pairs, one for work and one for portable use, I treat the portable headphone with utmost care, like a baby, while the one for work gets tossed around and daily abuse, and yet both look the same. On a note of the clamping force, the frame needs to burn in, so that the force loosens and optimum comfort is achieved.

Sound. How does it sound? It's a bit colored, I think. Definitely not neutral, but I've gotten over the "neutral stage" where I cared about neutral headphones, I just want to enjoy my music with clarity. The bass mids and highs are fairly even in terms of balance, but not perfectly balanced. What's very noticeable is that it has punchy bass like a Grado, not deep rumbling bass. And absolutely no soundstage, which creates intimacy, or in my case, that in-your-face-sound that you get from Grado. I use these for speed metal, thrash metal, power metal, traditional metal, etc. Metal that's fast and guitar driven. They're like a closed back Grado, but not as bright.

I got it for free from work, as this is what they use for their stuff such as recording, calibration, etc. They previously used V6's, 440's and T50RP's, but they settled for the HD 25-1 II. There is a huge increase in price to the consumer, but I'd imagine when a company purchase these, the difference is not all that great. They are the basic edition, but I wish I owned a pair of the Adidas versions. :(

Pros: Portable, outstanding sound quality, user-replaceable parts, rugged construction, great isolation and comfort

Cons: Slightly sibilant, closed-in soundstage

I have previously owned a lot of headphones, but I felt the need of an all-in-one solution that I could use at home or on-the-go. So I scoured and found that the Sennheiser HD25-1 II is the perfect headphone for my needs. It is a small, supra-aural pair of headphones with superb sound quality in its price range and category.

Construction:

The HD25-1 is a very rugged set of cans. Although lightweight and looks flimsy, it actually holds well against constant abuse and wear. The split-headband design allows for both a secure and comfortable fit, perfect for lengthy listening sessions. The earcups themselves are made of hardened plastic, and do not easily scratch or dent when hit by an impact force. Lastly, the provided stock steel cable has great tensile strength to maximize longevity. All of these parts are easily replaceable, so the headphone can last for years and years of usage.

It may not be the best when it comes to isolation, but it does its job well in blocking out external noise like the bustling city, airplane engines, and so on. Although the clamp is fairly tight, it's not as bad as the one from the AKG K518 DJ. The pleather and velour pads also add to the HD25's comfortable fit.

As I write this review, I have already clocked in about 200 or so hours with this pair of cans. Overall impression, the HD25-1's sound quality is excellent for a closed headphone. Although there is some slight sibilance in the high treble frequencies and soundstage is a bit closed-in, it still sounds great straight out of a DAP or from a headphone amp.

It retains the classic Sennheiser laid-back house sound, but adds a generous bit of Grado's upfront, edgy kick to it. The result is a pleasing mix of smooth-yet-aggressive sound signature that's hard to come by in other headphones; it reproduces lush vocals, deep, controlled bass, and detailed highs for a can of this size and type. Suitable for almost all genres of music, the Sennheiser HD25-1 is a very flexible can that's sure to please a lot of people.

Conclusion:

Although a bit pricey at $199.99 in most stores available online, in my opinion the Sennheiser HD25-1 is a great buy in this price category. If you are looking for a portable headphone with sound quality rivaling full-sized cans, I strongly recommend getting the HD25-1's.

PS: I have included pictures of my HD25-1 II as seen in the product photos, to better judge its design and construction.

Pros: Good all-around headphones with a smooth midrange (minus classical), fun to listen to. Great in trance/dubstep genre.

Cons: Prominent midbass can get in the way

My impressions is that these don’t sound significantly different than the cheaper SP version in terms of sound signature. The biggest difference is detail, more extended highs and smoother mid. If you didn’t like the SP version’s general sound you probably won’t like this either.

Comfort:

I personally don't like on-ear headphones that much because of sweat and heat reasons and this is no exception. These will keep my ears reasonably warm on a rainy day. Takes a little fiddling around to get a good seal. My ear gets warm over half an hour. The clamping force is just right, not loose or vice grip.

Build:

Everyone says these are built like a tank and I agree. These headphones feel very solid and hard despite their plastic build. They will be able to withstand a good amount of abuse. I don’t suggest walking around with these in the rain though without an umbrella. Good headband construction. I like the two piece headband so it makes it easier for me to wear the headphone tilted back as the balance is better.

Isolation:

Not as good as my Westone IEMs but that is expected as these are on ears and not over the ears. If you’re a loud listener these are be ok on the bus or for walking around the city but for a really noisy subway train it might not be good enough as I found myself reaching for my IEMs.

High:

Sound somewhat rolled off. Cymbal hits decay fast. Snares sound a little thin and distant. As someone whose preferences are in a bright sound I would not say these headphones are bright as the HD558 sounds brighter to me and grados are far brighter than both. I would say in general these headphones don’t have any spike that would sound harsh; occasionally the upper range of female voices can sound a little scratchy and thin. I wouldn't listen to classical with these.

Mids are fairly forward even though it "sits behind" the bass often. Vocals sound quite close.  The mids sound smoother than the HD558 but in comparison it could sound more distant because of the bass presence. Male voices can sound nasally sometimes. I don’t hear any sibilance in voices. Midrange is pleasant to listen to most of the time, no harshness unless the recording was like that. HD25 does a lot good in this area with no glaring issues.

Bass:

The midbass hump is prominent on every song and makes sounds sound warm. This can be good or bad depending on your preference. To me, it seems like the bass is the loudest part of all the whole frequency response. The mid bass is the body of the sound for these headphones. I notice it’s a little boomy as well.  These are good headphones for DJs as songs from deadmau5 or music in dubstep and trance genre will shine as the pacing of bass beat is very suited for these headphones. These are the headphones that your pop loving friend might like as well. Music with rhythmic repeating bass beats goes well with the HD25. Bass reaches depths that surprised me for the size of this headphone.

Soundstage:

Fair for a closed headphone, doesn't sound significantly wider or deeper than my Westone UM2. No artificial wideness or anything like that. I would not use these for gaming as pin pointing can be hard. I never get the feeling the sound is coming from outside my head but quite the opposite; the sound is coming from inside my head and stays there. A closed headphone like the ATH W1000 is much closer sounding to an open headphone than HD25 but that’s another discussion.

Detail:

Don't expect globs of micro detail but enough for enjoyment. You can hear nuisances but they are more blended in and again, the bass makes it harder to hear these small details. I wouldn't use these for mixing or for critical listening. Separation is reasonably acceptable but plucking of string instruments are not as distinct as grados for example.

These headphones are fun to listen to. If you are very critical of detail these are not for you. This is one of the closed back headphones everyone talks about so I figured I'd try it. These sound somewhat like Westone UM2 with a smoother midrange, more bass and midbass tossed in and less dry sounding. I will stick with my UM2 because I think the bass is a tad much for me but otherwise I can see why these are popular.

Pros: Clear and detailed pure sound, solid build quality, light weight, decent isolation, serve a great purpose as DJ headphones

Cons: Neutral sound is not for everyone, narrow sound stage, clamping force takes time to soften up.

I'll make this clear - the sound signature of these headphones will not blow you away. I was expecting a lot from these (after reading the many positive reviews) and when i first listened to them i felt a little underwhelmed.

We've all had that experience where we listen to a piece of music and think...meh it's ok - and then months later you're putting in your top 10 all time favourite list. Well i've had the same experience with these cans. I have grown to love them!

Design - They're lightweight, surprisingly portable and have a minimal look and feel. They can be used as DJ headphones due to their tilt cup design (the left headphone can be tilted away from the ear). They are also modular which means you can replace the parts if they ever go wrong.

Comfort - At first these things did hurt my head and gave me a bit of ear ache when listening for long periods. However after about a month of use, the comfort significantly increased. The clamping force became much less intense and i can now wear them for many hours.

Sound Quality - As i've already mentioned, the audio quality will not blow you away. These are a neutral set of cans with an emphasis on detail and clarity. The sound stage is lacking and some tracks can sound a little flat. At first i thought this was a bad thing, but soon i began to appreciate the purity in the sound that these headphones offer. Give them high quality audio and you will hear every bit of detail. What puts the icing on the cake though is the instrument separation - this is what these headphones do best and at very high volumes too (i sometimes DJ in a club where the booth is ridiculously loud and no matter what the volume is - i can always make out the low, mid and high without any bleeding of the sound).

Bass - A little more emphasis here, but they never overwhelming and sound punchy rather than warm

Mid - Clear and neutral in texture

High - Clear without sounding bright (not fatiguing on the ears)

These headphones are great for electronic music (house, techno, tech-house) and sound great with older flavours too (trance, progressive etc.)

Value - Not that cheap and even though they're modular in design, the parts are pretty expensive. However these things are build like a tank, so in my opinion they justify the price tag.

9/10 - i absolutely love these headphones and recommend them to anyone who is looking for a closed back design.

Pros: Detailed, portable, great isolation.

Cons: Not really confortable for long periods of time.

I have own the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II for more than 6 years now, and everything is still in perfect condition. I have always love the analytical sound this unit delivers... These have turn to be my personal favorite headphones for tracking live instruments and recording vocals, but I use them to listen to music when traveling, and they are my favorite portable headphones as well.

They are not really that confortable, I find them to be a little uneasy to wear for long periods of time, but they isolate really well and sound great with theire slightly v shaped sound signature. I will recomend this headphones for anyone looking to something portable and with great sound isolation.

Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone

Professional closed headphone with split headband

BindingElectronics
BrandSennheiser
EAN0615104135703
FeatureCapable of handling very high sound pressure levels.
Height9.9 inches
TitleSennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone
UPC615104135703
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Legal DisclaimerWarranty does not cover misuse of product.
Product Type Subcategory2300799