Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 202 Headphones

Sennheiser HD 202 Headphones

Rated #108 in Over-Ear

Sponsored

Get the latest news and updates at the Sennheiser sponsor page.

Pros: Excellent Sound quality, Decent Bass, lengthy cable

Cons: at maximum volumes, it does leak sound outside and screams a bit..

I have had this for a couple of weeks now. My first Senn Can. Spent a lot of time browsing forums and reviews before i got this one and all i can say is , it was worth the read.

As far as the cans, these are definately value for money considering the other  branded cans with an expensive tag. I got this in India for 2100 ruppes which is around 38$. I have read that these do come under 25$ but this is the best i could get in India. The sound quality-decent mids, bass and the whole experience is pleasant and punchy. At maximum volume, it does scream a bit(depends on the genre), but i can bet that one need not tune-up to max volumes all the time. I listen to all genre, i can say that it suits for all whether its Rock, grunge or hip-hop.

the sound does leak a bit, person next to you can easily hear it when the volume is more than 50% or so and on the other hand, there is definately a bit of noise cancellation, you do feel the lock of sound space when you wear them.

I strongly suggest this headphone for starters. With its price tag, in my opinion this is definately worth it.

Pros: Value, SQ for the $, relative comfort

Cons: Overlong cord, not good for long periods

The value on these is just incredible. I'll be the first to admit that my headphone knowledge is not the greatest, but it's 7 months in and I'm still surprised by these phones, which are still working perfectly. The design is simple and relatively comfortable, even for glasses wearers. (I currently wear pretty thick plastic frames too.) The isolation is not bad but outside sounds are still clearly noticeable. This is also a reason for these being not the best choice for activities because eventually the sweat and buildup will make you want to slip them off quickly.

Comfort is great for the first 20 minutes to an hour, but after that there is a buildup of overall tightness that eventually makes you want to revert back to speaker listening.

SQ is the biggest surprise because these $20-30 phones sound great across the board. In my eyes at the $20 I originally paid it's the best deal in everyday consumer cheap phones. We used them in my college radio station and I was floored at some of the sounds I was hearing out of these cheapo studio phones, even in comparison to the far more cumbersome hd280 pros!

But why in the heck is the darned cord so long??

All in all, you get what you pay for. These are a great cheap headphone choice for general listening for short periods.

Pros: Rhythm and pacing, overall musicality

Cons: Sennheiser "veiling" fairly prominent; cable broke at one year

Introduction

This is a review of the Sennheirser HD 202 headphone. At the time of the review, the cans were at eleven months of near-continuous use. Bear with me, as this is only my second review on Head-Fi. With that, let's proceed.

The HD 202 is a circumaural, closed design with pleather pads. The primary construction material is some sort of plastic. The cans are very lightweight, which makes them quite comfortable, as the pads are very soft. Clamp pressure is moderate, in my view as is depth. That said, they are not very large in absolute terms and my ears touch the pads at times, rather than being totally enclosed by them. In this sense, the headphones are, for me, almost on-the-ear at times. Adjusting the cans is simple with a plastic slide that moves easily. Overall, for this price point, design is about as good as can be imagined. Just a note, too, that my cable broke recently and had to be fixed.

As I've said, comfort is quite good with these cans due to the light weight and the soft ear pads. No complaints here after nearly a year of use.

Sound Quality

These cans are, first of all, burned in for nearly a year of constant use. I listen to rock, country, jazz, bluegrass, and edm. In general, I would characterize the sound of these cans as very musical. Are they the final word in transparency and detail? No, definitely not. Still, they manage to communicate the emotion of music in a fairly profound way. A good example of this is Britney Spears' Everytime, in which the vocals are, indeed, haunting, delicate, and beautiful. The emotion in her voice is perfectly communicated. Still, there are issues. For one, the treble is markedly rolled off on many recordings. Often, this manifests as difficulty hearing ride and hi-hat cymbals, while still being able to hear the crashes. On The Eagles' Heartache Tonight, this is particularly evident. Ditto on Judas Priest's Electric Eye, in which the hi-hat is severely recessed. That said, on some recordings, in which the ride and hi-hat are cranked up, they can be heard just fine. Sugarland's From the Beginning is one of these. This recording was mastered with hot ride and hi-hat, and they are therefore easy to hear on the HD 202. On most recordings, however, I would say that the treble roll-off on the 202 means ride and hi-hat are going to be difficult to hear. I don't like this, personally, but keeping price in mind, I am willing to live with it. Bass, in the main, is quite solid on the 202, if not the last word in detail, harmonically. On LZ's Immigrant Song, the bass is solid and present as a foundation for the tune, but it lacks the richness that is present with my 681 Evo's. Vibe 2's, or Crossfade m100's. Still, this song shows the 202's remarkable knack for rhythm and pacing and just plain musicality. I find myself tapping my foot constantly when listening to these cans. Ozzy's Devil's Daughter is another example of this foot-tappingness. I guess what I am saying is that these headphones just seem to rock. They convey the emotion of music very, very well, especially for their ridiculous price. Do they deliver on the nth degree of detail and soundstaging? Of course not. The soundstage is quite small here. Still, I am tapping my foot. They don't sound like headphones, they sound like music being played. And that is quite an accomplishment. Lastly, there is very much present in these cans the Sennheiser veiling, in which it sounds a bit like there is a veil or scrim or something similar between me and the music. There is an absolute reduction in transparency. This is quite noticeable when switching to my Evo's or the v-moda's, where this veiling just isn't present. Still, for the money, it is hard to complain. They are very musical and enjoyable cans with limitations one would expect at their price. They are just plain fun to listen to.

Summing Up

Overall, these are very enjoyable cans on which to listen to music. Their rhythm and pacing are excellent, even while there is some veiling present. It doesn't seem to get in the way of enjoying music on these cans. They are a remarkable achievement at this price and I recommend them highly. You may find more detailed cans in this price range, but I doubt you will find more musical headphones. These cans have music all over them.

Pros: Generally good sound quality, decent build, fairly comfortable

Cons: Needs some oomph to start sounding good

Had a pair of HD202s for a week now.  I'm mostly a convert to the benefits of in-ear headphones, but wanted a pair of on-ears for general household use.  Pleasantly surprised by them; the tone is, when driven properly, musical and detailed, the soundstage is decent, and isolation isn't bad either.  The tone has an emphasis on bass, but not to the exclusion of the mids and treble.  Some people might find them too bass-heavy, but the balance suits me fine.  Has the classic Sennheiser 'warm' character, which is impressive for the price.  With a bit of adjustment, they are comfortable for me to wear for extended periods of time, they feel solid enough (if plastic), and generally feel more expensive than they are.  The long cable is great for indoor listening, but annoying when on the move, even with the handy cable spooler that Sennheiser supplies.  But that's fine, I've got in-ears for that.

One thing that really stood out for me as compared to my other headphones is that they make it very obvious which of my sources have decent headphone outputs and which don't - when used with devices with weak output electronics (or on good devices with the amplification circuit turned down low) the bass is really loose and flabby and generally the frequency response is all over the place.

With decent headphone amplification, the bass tightens up nicely, the frequency response smooths out, and they are a LOT more pleasant to listen to.  All my in-ears seem a lot more forgiving of weak amplification, despite similar 32 ohm impedances to the HD202s.  If you're using these with e.g. a computer without an external amplifier, make sure you turn the master volume up high (thus cranking the headphone amp circuit up) and then use per-application volume controls to adjust to taste.  You'll get MUCH better results that way - it's like night and day with the HD202s.  Obviously if you've got external amplification then that's not a worry.

Overall:  Ignoring price, a decent pair of on-ear headphones, good in pretty much all respects, though not outstanding.  Considering the purchase price, excellent.

Pros: Cheap good quality comfort and durable

Cons: cable too long and not be the hight end sonic headphones.

Hey, I have this pair of headphones since 2005 and the moment i write this comment, he has his 9th years old. It is still in very good condition despite the fact that i use it almost every morning on train or tube traffic to get to work. It has a very light weight so you wont be tired of wearing it, quality audio is very very good for his price, bass, mid, soundstage .... everything present, neutre and seem quite balanced. I wish it can drive a bit more bass and control better the mid, and it can be a wonderful semi-open headphones.

Omg, 9 years and there is still nothing goes wrong with it, It has been on my head in very bad condition, on vélo in the rain, snow, windy weather, or even in the hot of summer. I can tell you that i love this pair, still be very proud of him facing with people wearing Beats or others Sennheiser mates on transport public.

To me, 8.5 /10 for the HD202, sure that it can't be compared to my others headphones like Grado, Denon or hight end Sennheiser, but at that price, what do you want more ?

Photo taken with his brand new big brother Denon D2000 in 2009  :tongue_smile:

Pros: amazing SQ, great bass

Cons: uncomfortable after a few hours

This was my first pair of over ear headphones. They surprised me a lot because I paid the equivalent of about $30 and got a whole lot more for that in terms of sound.

I tried them out in the store, before purchasing, on my Samsung Galaxy S1 and eventually used them a lot on my work computer. Amazing sound quality! They have great bass, really punchy and deep, especially after about 20 hours of usage.

The only draw back is that they get a bit uncomfy after more than 2 hours of listening. I wear glasses and the cups press really hard on my ears. I have to take them off and have a break every now and then.

They also leak sound at high volumes, but it's not anything dramatic.

Overall, these are a great pair of cans. I keep them as a backup. I've upgraded in the meantime, but I still come back to them now and then and they're still great.

Pros: Great Sound, Comfortable, Affordable

Cons: Long Cord

I bought my Sennheiser 202's not even a week ago and already loving them! They have wonderful treble, mid, and bass and work with my music. The problem i have which seems to be recurring is the long cord which can be a hassle when im skateboarding. I was very shocked at how cheap they were too. Before i bought these my friend told me to get what he had which were skullcandy mesh's but i stumbled onto this website and did some research on the choices my local store had and i saw the reviews for these and thought id give it a shot.

I highly recommend these for anyone who want a good pair of headphones and are on a budget.

Im new here too so sorry if my review wasnt that great.

Pros: Detachable earpieces for storage and portability, good sound, equal bass and treble, not too expensive, long cord. Comfortable.

Cons: Long cord, not very portable in terms of going outside with it.

Alright, so I bought these because I needed to replace my broken Superlux HD699s since I accidentally dropped them because the wire snagged the chair. I did some research on these cans, and most of the reviews I have seen are positive and they were right.

Here's my review:

The sound itself is flat, the bass or the treble is balanced. The mid-range is also well balanced. When I first wore them, I listened to some songs, from drum n bass, rock, to dubstep. They sounded well, the treble is not as sharp as the one from the HD669s.

Comfort:
I find it comfortable, even if I wear glasses. I can wear these without feeling any pain outside my ears for long periods of time. The only thing is, when you wear them for long periods of time, your ears will sweat and I also find it hard to fit at times.

Portability:

These headphones' is too long to be portable, even with the accessory that shortens the wire. But in terms of carrying it around, it's not too bad, since you can remove the earpieces and them stow them away in a bag or a carrying case.

Design:

One of the main reasons why I bought them. The thing itself is sleek black, just sleek black...

Bottomline:
A good pair to start with if you want to DJ or just want a pair that reproduces the music well.

Pros: Very nice style, good bass,clear crisp sound, and low price

Cons: A little bit uncomfortable, hard to adjust, extremely long cord, and not very portable

I just recieved the Sennheiser hd 202 ii headphones at my door step. I have to say that after visiously ripping through the plastic packaging, these are pretty good headphones. They're definitely not the best, but tor only 20 bucks, they're decent. I'm no audiophile, but I think the bass is great. However, something I dislike about these is that they don't sound very good with soft music, forexample I listen to a lot of Taylor Swift, the audio didn't impress me. When I listened to a song with more bass, the audio was pretty good.

Comfort. They're not very comfortable in my opinion. I think it puts a little too much pressure on my head, but that's probably just because they're brand new. It does allow you to adjust the headphones, but it's such a hassle because you move the earcups themselves, not the headband.

Comparisons to other headphones. Right now the only other headphones that I have listened to and can remember are the Bose Oe2i, the Beats solo hd, and the Beats studio. Compared o the Bose, these hd 202 headphones suck. But hey, that's comparing a 20 dollar headphone to a 150 dollar one. Comparing these to th Solo HDs..... Haha everything is better than the Solos. Comparing these to the Studios, I'd say that they're about as good as the Studios. I haven't listened to the Studios very much, Ive only heard one song using them, so I may be wrong.

Build quality. These headphones feel pretty cheap, like every time I put them on Imscared they'll break cheap.

Overall, these headphones are fantastic for only 20 dollars, you can probably get better ones for just a couple dollars more. Do I suggest these? Well, if you are on a budget, sure. I would suggest these. But if you can spare another 20 or 30 dollars, keep searching. While these headphones are good, they're not the greatest.

Pros: Great Sound Staging, Amazing Detail!

Cons: Sometimes Uncomfortable

My third pair of over-ear or on-ear pair. The first two were Skullcandy and they sucked! These cans are well worth the small price and deliver your monies worth! Ive heard thing ive never heard on other headphones.

Sennheiser HD 202 Headphones

The Sennheiser HD202 closed, dynamic hi-fi stereo headphones feature good insulation against ambient noise and a deep bass response. This makes them the ideal companion for DJs - or anyone who likes to listen to modern, powerful music without disturbing others. The high-efficiency drivers deliver maximum performance. 1/8 inch connector with 1/4 inch adapter. Impedance: 32 ohms. Frequency range: 18Hz - 20kHz.Sennheiser At A GlanceFor 60 years, the name Sennheiser has been synonymous with top-quality products and tailor-made complete solutions for every aspect of the recording, transmission and reproduction of sound. In 1945, Dr. Fritz Sennheiser together with seven engineers and technicians set out on the venture to found a new company. The research and development specialists converted their university institute, which had been moved during the war to the small village of Wennebostel, into what became known as 'Labor W', and it was there that they began to build measuring instruments. Less than a year later, microphones were added to their product range, and soon the resourceful team became extremely successful in numerous fields of audio technology.Those were the humble beginnings of Sennheiser electronic, now a worldwide group of companies with more than 1,600 employees and one of the world's leading manufacturers of complete audio solutions. Still a family-owned company, Sennheiser has made a name for itself above all in the development and manufacture of high-quality microphones, wireless RF technology and headphones. Conference and information technology, infrared systems, products for the hearing impaired and aviation headsets round off the comprehensive product portfolio. The Sennheiser Group also includes the studio microphone specialist Georg Neumann GmbH, Berlin, K+H Vertriebs- und Entwicklungsgesellschaft (loudspeakers and studio monitors) and the Denmark-based joint venture Sennheiser Communications, which develops h

BindingElectronics
UPC615104051768
Batteries Included0
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Legal DisclaimerWarranty does not cover misuse of product.
LanguagesEnglish
Number Of Items1
Special Featuresnv: Transducer Principle^Dynamic, Closed-Aire | Frequency Response^18 18,000 Hz | Nominal Impedance^32 Ohms | Characteristic Spl^115 dB | Ear Coupling^Semi-circumaural, leatherette | Distortion^ 0.5 | Connector^3.5 mm mini-stereo with 14 adapter | Weight Wo Cable^Approx. 130 g
Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Sennheiser HD 202 Headphones