Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Sennheiser CX300-B Earbuds (Black) › Sennheiser CX300-B Earbuds (Black) Reviews

Sennheiser CX300-B Earbuds (Black) Reviews

Positive Reviews

aragond

Shocked

Pros: Comfortable, decent sound, actually fit in my malshapen ears, pretty good drowning-out-of-world, longevity, cheap

Cons: Uh... I...

I'm genuinely shocked that folks are unimpressed with these buds. They've served me very well for a looooong time. Yes, they handle bass veery well, but I never found that was at the expense of treble, not at the start (are now, since 4 years of earwax... yeh, you knowaddamean). Could be better isolating? Sure, but I regularly hear nothing of the outside world when I have them plugged, unless someone's near me. I like being isolated, buuuut, I guess I like being able to hear when the truck is about to collect me or whatever. What impressed me most about these, srsly, is the comfort. I have a laaarge collection of earphones that I've ditched because they lack a satisfying suction-cup...
damagedhearing

great upgrade to phone or mp3 player's buds

Pros: emphasized lower end for the gym/comfy

Cons: uneven cord length from split

Well worthwhile upgrade and not too expensive. Emphasized lower end. My only complaint after using these for the gym for over a year now is that the cord length is different from the split to the buds.(one more than twice as long as the other)
idzani

Nice In-ears

Pros: Great isolation, good audio quality

Cons: Wire design, pricey

For a price this earphone has, it sounds great. A good bass response for something this small, and superb isolation from outside noise. Without music on, you can't barely hear anything else, as it doubles up as earplugs. But design wise, it should have a normal Y-shaped wire split to left and right earphones instead of going back 'round the neck. Just too messy. And the wire insulator material is to rubbery and grippy. But overall, the x-factor is the sound. But it could've been cheaper.

Negative Reviews

Marcus_C

The cx300 isn't retiring very gracefully

Pros: Comfort,

Cons: Outdated Sound, Microphonics,

Like many other people, I got my cx300's as they were widely available on the high street with not much competition at the time. They are mostly known for their bass which is very abundant. The problem with that much emphasis on bass is the rest of the range suffers. Treble, in particular, suffers quite badly and is drowned out. Add to this very little clarity in the bass which doesn't have great extension anyway and for sound you are soon left wanting.   The trusty cx300's are quite comfortable to wear but isolation is not that good due to the shallow insertion and cable noise can be quite bad. You just get the feeling they were designed for a 13 year old who just thought more bass...
PleasantNoise

sounds ok, awful design.

Pros: sound is decent

Cons: packaging, cord, 3.5mm jack, carry pouch,

Bought these as a cheap iem to use while my customs are being fixed, they sound pretty good for the price, isolate well enough to be bearable on the train, and weren't too expensive. My problems with them come from the entire design of both the iem's and the product as a whole. Plastic death packaging is awful, physically getting the phones out of the package was infuriating, rather than a pleasure, even with scissors, and a stanley knife. enclosed where the earbuds, 2 extra sizes of silicone tips, and a plasticy pouch with a metal snap close ala sunglasses cases.. The pouch offers little or no protection for the buds, thoughtful, but pretty useless really. iems are easily damaged,...
stratowhammy

I agree, I thought they were good iems until I heard RE0s

Pros: Bloated Bass (is it a pro?)

Cons: Bloated Bass

So, the other reviews are fairly accurate.  I bought (two pairs of them!) a while back and I thought they were good, Senheisser brand made me feel smart.  If only I had come here first (or known about head-fi) I could have made a better decision.  At $40 they're not worth it at all.  If you're willing to drop double that get the RE0s, they will not disappoint.   The bass is just bloated, but you feel like its warm and full until you hear a good set of cans (or even IEMs) and then you want to EQ it away, and can't.  Don't waste your money.

More Reviews

juan1894

Sennheiser cx300, my Entry in the Headphone World.

Pros: Loud, pretty easy to drive, Out of this world Bass, Comfy

Cons: Too much Bass, Sibilant/Harsh treble, Flimsy

The sennheiser cx300 was my first headphone of Sennheiser and my first earbud/headphone above 30 Dollars. The construction of the earbud itself is very great and the design too, small, classic, lightweight. The cable is pretty flimsy in the jack i had 2 pair of cx300, and both goes this way.   In terms of sound, these deliver a outstanding, in your face bass. I have some issues with that because the mids are sucked out. The highs are harsh and sibilant, i experience a little pain with those.   If the cable were not flimsy, i was paid $50 or $45 for this earbud, but both are gone in about two months..
BBBS

Boring, but serviceable

Pros: Generally good value

Cons: Too dark

These earphones, now the de facto first upgrade for an iPod, are alright if not unexciting. Compared to the stock iPod buds they're like hearing music for the first time again, but there are many other options which sound as good if not better. For my money, I would and do recommend Sony.
Sakal

Good Warm Sound

Pros: Very comfortable with good amounts of bass.

Cons: None.

These IEM's are very comfortable so they can be worn while lying down with no discomfort.   The bass is the best part of the CX300's, while the mids are average and the highs are lacking.   For the price, these are decent headphones and anyone interested in relaxed sounding headphones, this would be a nice purchase.
nickvalluri

Mediocre at list price

Pros: Comfort, bass

Cons: Poor mids, sometimes too much bass, crackle

I should disclose that I purchased these headphones for $15, and for that price I recommend that anyone snatch them up as a back up, or workout phones. However, not sure that I would purchase them for $60 or even $40. These headphones really struggle with mids, and sometimes the bass is flat-out overpowering. I like to test out my headphones by listening to Pinback, as their music is a good representation of the aural spectrum. I found that the bass (which under normal circumstances should be almost an afterthought in a Pinback song; I have heard the drums in their songs described as "percussive breathing") took over the rest of the song. Isolation on the CX300s is a mixed bag. I use...
azmodan79

Tinny Sound and Atrocious Cable Noise

Pros: Not very expensive, an improvement from default earphones

Cons: Tinny Sound, Cable Noise, Overbearing Metallic Tinge

I read great reviews for these earphones but when I started testing them I felt cheated, the sound coming out from the earpieces was really tinny and a tad metallic, perhaps I didn't break them in but the small drive and lack of range was abysmal. I cranked up the volume and fiddled with the eq trying to wring out some bass to no avail, then the cable noise set in and I was trying very hard not to move the cords while I was walking, the cable noise was so severe that I had issues listening to the music while walking.