Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Schiit Gungnir

Schiit Gungnir

Rated #5 in DACs

Pros: open soundstage, airy presentation, sweet sounding

Cons: expensive :)

I have the Bifrost before this and plugged this into my Valhalla before my Mjolnir arrived.  Even though it uses the same D/A chip as the Bifrost, I found it to be a significant upgrade that I could even hear with the Valhalla and my Beyerdynamic DT990 (600 ohm).  If I could only choose between the Gungnir or Mjolnir for upgrading my headphone system, and my headphones didn't require the extra power, I would probably go with the Gungnir, it was a more noticeable upgrade.  The Mjolnir was noticeable but unless your gear really requires that power, it probably will be less noticeable for you.  Even with the single-ended connections I was using with the Valhalla, it was noticeable.  I am using it at work.  I connect my macbook to a M2Tech Hiface to the Gungnir coax port.  If you get the USB version you shouldn't require the Hiface.  I am using a Pure i20 for my old iPod to stream lossless to the optical port.  This lets me use either the computer or the iPod with my Gungnir, and they both sound great.  I have since upgraded from the Valhalla to the Mjolnir.  My headphones have been upgraded to the Hifiman HE-4.  I have recalbled all of my headphones to balanced and am not looking back.

Not sure if I feel hard-pressed to upgrade at this point either.  The statement DAC supposedly includes a lot more power, but I think I could even upgrade to the HE-6 and still use what I have just fine.  Bottom line, the Gungnir has really made me feel like I have taken it as far as I needed to take it.  My headphone system sounds better than my home system now.  So obviously the money needs to go towards upgrading the home system now lol...

Pros: smooth and gets out of the way of the music

Cons: None

I purchased the Gungnir and the Meridian Director at the same time. At first I thought the Meridian was a better sounding dac, and regulated the Gungnir to headphone listening. The Gungnir was rather congested sounding out of the box, where the Meridian was open with a wide soundstage.  I had a very expensive Krell set up before my divorce and I sold all of my equipment as depression set it. I vowed never to get back into hi end again. After many years of car audio and talk radio I decided to purchase a Samsung Bluetooth speaker with tube preamp. Well I was floored by the sound and surprised I could actually do critical listing with this box. Lo and behold, it got my hi end juices flowing again! My last system cost me 35K and I was not to go back to that place again.Since I moved back home to care, for my mom, I just need a nice setup for my bedroom. So, I bought a modified Jolida a pair of super zero and sub( this is a great combination in a small room) .I purchased a mac air and a 3 TB hard drive and ripped away at my CD collection. After owning a Meridain 508.24,, that prompted the purchase of the Director as I love the Meridain house sound. Bouught the Gungnir to use with apple TV and Koss E90 headset(great sounding headphones).

I forgot about break in and low and behold, after some time I listen to the Gungnir again and was was shocked at the difference, after break in. Needless to say, the Meridain has been turned off and I am thinking of selling it. I can't imaging a more expensive dac could some much better. I bought my unit B stock from Amazon so I got a good deal on the unit. It has the upgraded USB and I have been spending a small fourtune at HD track, but the gungnir and 24/96K make my feet tap and forget ALL about the equipment.

Pros: I got rid of my Linn LP-12 and 5,000 Albums. WAF is Very High!

Cons: Non that I have found

Absolutely amazing DAC.  I have the Gen 2 USB upgrade.

I now listen to nothing but flac files.

For years I would not listen to CD (digital) as I couldn't get over the harshness.

This has changed the way I listen to music and increased my enjoyment.

No more getting up to clean and change records, No longer a dedicated room and shelving to hold those records.

I just click my mouse and get what ever I want in whatever order I want with all the Imaging, Depth and Dynamics I had on my LP-12.

Run and buy one of these before the guys at Schiit wake up and realize how far above it's snack bracket the Gungnir performs and raises the price.

Oh ya, been in Audio for over 20 years and have listened to A LOT of great equipment, So I know of what I speak.

Definitely Recommended.

Steve.

Pros: Beautiful hardware, great customer support, balanced and fully discrete, Made in USA

Cons: clicking when changing sample rates (nit pick, NOT a flaw)

What can I say about this product? I've had it for 6 or 7 months now and have used it with my Audeze LCD-2's almost on a daily basis to unwind and listen to music. It's extremely clear, transparent, musical, everything a DAC should be.

All I can really say is coming from a EMU 0404 to this was night and day, a hands down huge improvement. I honestly feel that I haven't heard anything better, and anything better will cost WAY more and be only marginally so. If you own this DAC you know, but if you are looking at this DAC, you can almost retire from this hobby until there is some sort of DAC breakthrough or new audio formats that come out some years from now. Even then, Schiit will probably release a upgradable chip to add on any new technology.

Regarding the con I listed, if you're using SPDIF (not USB) inputs and you change sample rate, the data stream stops and frommy limited knowledge the muting relay kicks in for a split second. When this happens there is an audible click from the unit itself but not heard through the headphones. After a little while you don't mind it. I can see how this could potentially annoying if you shuffled your whole library and you have lots of different sample rates in there but it's so marginal, it's barely a con.

Rest assured, if you're like me you can buy this and know it's a great long term DAC that gets you to end-game performance.

Pros: Excellent piece of kit

Cons: nothing

I am really happy with this unit. Not concerning the price, it is still excellent. If you take the price into account, it is probably the best value on the market at the moment.

Pros: smooth operator

Cons: power switch on the back

If you are looking to update your 'long in the tooth' DAC, for under a grand, you are faced with many very good options these days. The field is crowded and getting more so every day.

The Gungnir is one of those must hear pieces of kit. It does many things well, without any glaring faults. An unthinkable find just a few short years ago.

After a bit of a break-in, you are treated to some very smooth, yet detailed rendering of your favorite tunes. The sound was immediately bigger, bolder, and more accurate throughout the frequency range, when compared to my Transporter. The bass is bolder and bigger without being flabby. The highs are smooth with good timber. Its easier to define what you are listening to, including the difficult to reproduce piano.
Schiit Gungnir
By:

Gungnir offers the world’s most advanced Adapticlock™ clock regeneration system in a fully upgradable, hardware-balanced DAC with 32-bit D/A converters, advanced fully discrete analog output stage, with hardware summing for single-ended output. Like Bifrost, it also offers one of the most advanced asynchronous USB 2.0 input sections available. The USB, SPDIF BNC and RCA coax inputs, and Toslink optical input all offer 24/192 capability. So, what’s all this about Adapticlock? Well, you probably know about jitter. And you probably know one of the best ways to kill it is with high-precision, voltage-controlled crystal oscillator (VCXO) reclocking. Now, that’s all well and good, but what happens when you have a source that won’t allow the VCXOs to lock? You know, like a satellite receiver or some computers? In other cases, you’re toast. The VCXOs unlock, and jitter flows right through the system. In Gungnir, if the VCXOs won’t lock, it shifts the entire reclocking network to VCOs. This allows us to lock to virtually any input, and still provide a low-jitter regenerated master clock. The result is higher-quality clocks, despite the source.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Schiit Gungnir