Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC

Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC

Rated #1 in DACs

This is my non review of the Multibit upgrade to the Bifrost ('Bimby'), in which I don’t try and describe to you how it sounds. I think reviewing audio equipment must be like trying to describe sex with smoke signals. Unless you actually experience it for yourself, it’s just a bunch of pointless puffing. Instead I’ll tell you how it feels, which is brilliant.

Listening to Bimby I can’t hear what the second cellist had for lunch, and I can’t determine their spatial position relative to the violinist. Probably because I don’t listen to classical music and more thruthfully because either descriptions like that are bollocks and hyperbole, or my listening just isn’t that refined (which I’m willing to concede is plausible) or because I’m usually not paying that much attention to the music.

To understand why I’m not paying that much attention to the music, I need to tangent a few degrees. My Schiit stack sits on my desk at work and for the most part I listen to music in order to tune out my co-workers and general office background noise.  My co-workers are awesome, and this isn’t a middle finger at management or a solitary sulk, it’s just my way of being able to concentrate so that I can get stuff done. I feel I need to make a reasonable attempt at being productive given I’m being paid and there’s a firm desire on my part to remain employed so I can provide for Wifey and the soon to be 2.2 kids (one is two and clearly the head of the household, one is on the way, and the .2 is furry and likes to wash the taste of cat food away by licking his butt.)

I’ve been listening to my my original Bifrost and Asgard 2 for a couple of months, and it’s been performing admirably and isolating me from the aforementioned distractions. As a baseline the Bifrost and Asgard is like a Honda Accord – It meets all of my expectations, is perfectly serviceable, does what it says on the box, nothing more or less. I have no complaints.

Pay attention now because we’re back to the interesting bit.

Bimby is utterly failing at allowing me to concentrate at work. It’s ruined my productivity, and I love it. The first album I played (Rush – 2112) did it’s job and I was able to focus on work. This is most likely because I was working to a deadline and had gone deep into 'the zone'. A ferret is using my ankles as a grinding stone for his teeth and I’m not going to notice deep. Then I put on some Doors (L.A. Woman). At some point I found myself sitting up - I had exited the zone and could feel my heart racing. The kind of heart racing you get from standing in front of the stacks at a live gig, where the sheer volume displaces enough air that you can feel it reverberate through your chest and you feel thumping bass comes up though the floor, though the soles of your feet* and out your mouth as you scream along with the band. Which incidentally I don’t recommend as a spontaneous action appropriate for an office environment.

I found myself foot tapping and head bobbing. Which I hate because I’m male, middle class, white and uncoordinated. I think God have us head bobbing and foot taping to make up for the fact that when taken as a class of people, we can’t dance. And I didn’t care. I was lost in the music. I could feel the music, and it was wonderful. I’ve never experienced that outside of a live performance.

My verdict? Bimby: More attention grabbing than an an ankle biting ferret and highly likely to render you oblivious to anything else.

This review was based on the following stack:

- Schiit Bifrost Multibit

- Schiit Asgard 2

- Beyerdynamic T5p

- Spotify Premium on a Mac Book Pro, connected via USB

* Unless you’re in the Pony nightclub in Melbourne, in which case the flooring (at one point it may have been carpet, if the carpet was shaved down to the underlay) reverts from it’s mostly solid form to a slightly more squishy form as the years of spilt drinks, vomit and other bodily fluids liquify with the changing air pressure and body heat. You still feel it in your toes, though it’s more sticky and makes you want to shower.

Note: The purchase price is actually the upgrade price from Addicted to Audio in Melbourne.

Pros: Excellent performance at the price

Cons: Does not outperform very high end DACs

REVIEW: Schiit Audio “Bifrost” DAC

Introduction

By now, Schiit probably needs no head-fi introduction, and so I will not be providing one.  I will also not be making any jokes about the name.  Sorry.  That was so last review biggrin.gif

I had asked to be sent a review loaner of the Bifrost when the announcement was made about its existence.  Schiit was nice enough to oblige – unfortunately it arrived at a very bad time for me at work, and I was able to spend a good amount of time casually listening to it, but not much time really evaluating it, or writing about it.  I have finally been able to do some of that, although this review isn’t going to be quite as complete as I had hoped.

For this review I fed the Bifrost either the toslink output of a Pure i20 digital iPod dock, or USB from my Sony Vaio.  The audio out from the Bifrost was in turn sent to either a Meier Corda Classic, a vintage Marantz 2285 receiver, or the Leben CS-300.  Headphones used were the Beyer T1, Audeze LCD-3, Hifiman HE-6, and Audio Technica W3000ANV.  The Marantz also drove B&W N805 speakers, and I spent quite a bit of time listening to the Bifrost via speakers.  I compared the Bifrost briefly to the MHDT Havana, the Audio by Van Alstine Vision Hybrid DAC, the Red Wine Audio Isabellina Pro DAC, and the HRT iStreamer.

There is not much to discuss in terms of the operation.  I’m glad the power supply is onboard; I hate wall warts.  Coax, toslink, and USB inputs; single pair analog outputs.  In the traditional Schiit chassis:

db8cd08e.jpg

0a34c141.jpg

1788ed8b.jpg

The Sound

There have been some “robust” discussions lately about headphone FR, and what measurements of them mean in terms of what we hear.  In stark contrast to that is something like a DAC: Any well designed, modern DAC will measure completely flat in the audible domain, and as such, any differences we hear in sonics really cannot be directly attributed to measured frequency response, as the measured frequency response of a modern DAC is, in almost every case, going to look identical to any other DAC.

And yet, if you read this or any other audio site or magazine, people clearly hear differences in DACs.  I certainly do. But I cannot point to a frequency response chart and say “this is why it sounds this way”.  Outside of the frequency response, there are things like jitter rejection that can be measured and have an impact on things like transparency.

All that said, I do in fact find the Schiit to be very neutral in the frequency domain.  The Bifrost comes across as essentially uncolored.  Nothing jumps out as being out of balance, even over extended listening.  I would say this is what we should expect from a modern, solid state DAC, and the Bifrost delivers it.  I consider this high praise for a DAC. Certainly bass drum and guitar  from Dream Theater’s “On the Backs of Angels” were plenty full and deep, and very subtle percussion on Steely Dan’s “Aja” was easily discerned, so there is good presence at the frequency extremes.

The Bifrost does a very good job of detail retrieval – better than I expected, in terms of what I have heard from other DACs in this price range.  It is also very good in terms of being transparent and grain free, although it doesn’t set any benchmarks here versus higher end DACs (about which, more later).  On its own, it comes across as being pretty free from grain, and being very transparent.  I think it performs well for its price class in this regard, and even beat another more expensive but popular DAC in this regard.

The soundstage thrown by the Bifrost was also good, especially in terms of image stability and specificity.  It was not as holographic as my higher end references, nor was it either as deep, or wide.  But again, taken on its own, it performed well.  The very holographic soundstage on the Porcupine Tree song “Stars Die” was very satisfying, and I didn’t feel like I was missing anything via the Bifrost.  It was very well fleshed out, and Steven Wilson’s voice was well defined and centered, versus the much more spread out harmony vocals.

Comparisons

I did level-matched comparisons with three DACs, as mentioned above.

Let’s get two things out of the way with ease.  First, the Bifrost absolutely stomps the iStreamer.  The iStreamer seems grainy, veiled, threadbare, and thin sounding by comparison.  It’s not even close.  It’s funny, because taken on its own, I always thought the iStreamer was decent enough, but on the comparison to the Bifrost, if does not fare well.  Granted, it’s 40% of the cost of the Bifrost.

On the other hand, the Bifrost was noticeably outclassed by both the AVA Vision Hybrid and the RedWineAudio Isabellina Pro DACs.  In this case, the Bifrost is less than 25% of the cost of the either of these DACs, and it shows.  I found the AVA to be better to some degree in every single respect.  More transparent, less apparent edge and grain, better microdetail, better microdynamics, more natural ease in terms of musical flow, better bass slam and extension, and a smoother and more extended treble.  Midrange on the AVA is drop-dead, breathtakingly beautiful without being at all colored – on the Bifrost, the mids sound thin by comparison.  The Isabellina was pretty much the same story.  The Bifrost was a little closer to the performance of the RWA DAC than it was in the case of the AVA, but still, it was clearly not in the same performance league.

But again – that is only by direct comparison.  I don’t think of the Bifrost as grainy or thin.  It is just more that way than the higher-end (and at $2K somewhat expensive) AVA and RWA DACs.  It really isn’t a fair comparison, either, especially knowing Schiit has a much more advanced (and expensive) DAC in the works.

The comparison to the MHDT Havana was more interesting.  The Havana is NOT neutral sounding.  It’s a NOS DAC with a tube output.  I like the sound, but the sound is, well, kind of “vintage” – warm and woolly.  And boy was this apparent when compared to the Bifrost.  The Schiit DAC sounds MUCH more neutral than the Havana.  And yes, compared to the very warm Havana, the Bifrost sounds thin.  But it also sounded more open and transparent, has better treble detail, and had more apparent midrange resolution.  Frankly, the Bifrost turned me off so much to the Havana that I sold it.  It’s just too colored, in the end.  Pretty sounding, but untruthful.  The Bifrost is more truthful, even if sometimes there is less beauty in the truth.

Summary

So where does that leave the Bifrost?  At its price, it is a very nice piece of kit, and a good value.  I don’t think it is setting any performance benchmarks in absolute terms, but it provides very solid performance at its price point, and I think Schiit has packed a lot of performance in this DAC at $450.  I regret that I no longer had my similarly priced Music Hall to compare it to, but I was not that impressed with the Music Hall (which is why I sold it).  The Bifrost isn’t going to slay a pile of $2K+ DACs anytime soon, but I don’t think that was Schiit’s goal for it.  For a DAC in the $500 price range, it gets the job done very nicely.  While I may have become “spoiled” by my reference DACs, Schiit should be commended for providing a high performance product at this price.  In the current world we live in, a DAC has become the focal point of the majority of music playback systems.  It’s THE source for most people.  Given that, having a good quality DAC like the Bifrost available at this price point is a very good thing.

Pros: Standalone DAC with multibit, 5 year warranty, beautiful, awesome build quality

Cons: 45 seconds startup time not mentioned in manual

This is a review for the Autumn 2015 Bifrost Multibit.

First reaction (after 5 minutes): this is certainly different than anything I have heard before. Clarity was the first thing that came to mind.

Second reaction: I can actually hear the difference between this and the Modi Uber and the difference is much bigger than I expected. By comparison the Uber sounded a little woolly or the Bifrost is just crystal clear.

Integral reaction: This DAC is so much fun to have in my setup and makes a (bigger than I expected) difference.

Game changer: This used to be my opinion on any DAC I sampled: "This DAC sounds like any other (decent) DAC i have heard." Not any more, this is a game changer, I could easily hear the difference between the Bifrost Multibit and a few delta-sigma DACs. Maybe all the other multibit DAC's have the same audible difference (the technique is completely different) but as they all have price tags of (ten)thousands of euros they all fall in never-gonna-happen-land. This only costs 630 euros! Okay, it isn't cheap but still, 630 euros for a multibit DAC of this quality.

Fun fact: my headphone setup is at work and although I am allowed to work from home I found myself getting in just to be able to listen to music using the new setup.

Setup used (for those interested): Tidal HIFI (lossless) - USB - Schiit Bifrost Multibit - Schiit Magni 2 Uber - Audeze LCD-2F.

Cons:

-I was surprised by the 45 seconds startup time at first  (not mentioned in manual) so I wrote an email and within the hour Schiit confirmed this was normal.

- Now I am contemplating buying at least another one for our main set at home and maybe for the secondary set too.

Summary: This thing blew me away. It is good enough to motivate me to write a review. If you are shopping in this price range or higher you should at least try this!

Pros: audio quality, ease of set-up, build quality, price

Cons: none yet

I'm really happy with my Bifrost.  I don't know if your experience will match mine but here goes:

I already have a DAC hooked up to my "good" system in my listening room.  But I have been waiting to find the best way to listen to the music in my downstairs family room served from an upstairs Drobo via Ethernet.  The Drobo is packed with all lossless audio, some of it ripped from CD, some high resolution, some needle drops.

So here's what I have:
Old iBook G4 running OS 10.5 and iTunes > ethernet > Drobo > ethernet > Airport Express optical out> Schiit Bifrost > decent Rotel preamp and amp > B&W ceiling speakers in family room.

Nothing special, right?  But with the Bifrost, I have never heard such excellent, natural sound from the system.  There is no wireless: it's all a wired ethernet connection to the optical out of the Airport Express into the Bifrost.

I control it wirelessly. Either using the Remote iOS app on my phone or iPad, or using Screen Sharing from a laptop downstairs sharing the upstairs iBook which has the iTunes library for the Drobo.  All of sounds just fantastic.  More surprising was how good Spotify sounds.  Here, I am just transmitting wirelessly to the Airport Express using Airfoil, with my (paid version) Spotify preferences set to the high quality stream (I think it's 320k). This is remarkably good sounding...I was trying to explain to my kids this morning how much like science fiction this has to feel to anyone in his or her early fifties who might have dreamed of the great jukebox in the sky, that it is actually here.... the sound is somewhere between better-than-acceptable and really-damned-good, depending on the source.

Of course I might have achieved the same result using any number of inexpensive DACs but waited for something like Bifrost to come along that satisfies my various rational and irrational consumer urges.  I am definitely going to hook the Bifrost up at some point to my "good" system and expect it will do well in that context too.

Pros: music sounds stronger, more of a "base" to your music, switching,no noise using with Valhalla2

Cons: needs to warm up (to break in that is)

the new Bifrost Delta Sigma is great,

i first got the Modi and Magni then after 1 and a half years i got the Valhalla2 and wanted a better Dac,

so i waited for the Schiit event for the Bifrost to be updated, then went for it!

verses my modi using it with my Valhalla2, i noticed noise, BUT, now with the Bifrost (DS) I have yet to year noise.

I'm actually using some klipsch IEMs (g3) before the s4i, I NEED BETTER IEMs I KNOW,-im limited to IEMs because i can't get by strong magnets.

I'm going to possibly get Klipsch X11i, Westone or Shure next.

the audio quality i put SLIGHTLY lower because some tracks off youtube (HQ or FLAC files if they even were)  didn't sound that well at first, but that might be because it needs to warm up more (break in).

overall,

Schiit is a great company with great support for their customers and the Bifrost DS is my 4th purchase.

its really has added more detail to my music and a even wider sound range and "space" the Valhalla2 is a great compliment to the BIfrost (as well as with Modi)

Pros: Space, imaging, PRAT, micro detail, dogmatically vigilant sound

Cons: None at this price

Holy Schiit!

That's the first thing that came to mind when I connected the Bifrost Uber to my system and gave it a listen.  Here's a rundown of a few things.

Amp: Trafomatic Head One

Cans: Sennheiser HD600

Old DAC: V-DAC ii with V-PSU ii

Apple lossless -> iPod Classic -> Pure i20 dock -> coaxial connection

For a long time, I felt my rig was basically end game.  But, over time, I began to notice some weaknesses in my overall sound, which I started to attribute to the V-DAC.  Some of the hailed strengths started to be weaknesses to me.  For example, at times it was too smooth and polite.  It rounded some notes off.  Then, I began to realize a lot of the weaknesses, too.  It had some grain in the upper frequencies, even though the overall sound was smooth.  This just drew more attention to the grain because the mids and bass were silky smooth.  Despite the bass being smooth, it wasn't overly authoritative.  Also, the image got crowded at times and it struggled with micro details.  The V-DAC also lacked PRAT during some complex passages.

So, I began to look for a DAC upgrade.  My research lead me to the Bifrost Uber.

Specifically, here's what I noticed immediately when playing my reference tracks with the Bifrost Uber vs. the V-DAC.  Granted, differences between DACs are subtle, but I can hear them.  It's not my attempt to overstate things or use hyperbole to describe the sound.  But, I need to describe the differences somehow.  Below are the subtle differences I noticed immediately:

1) The sound is alive!  There's no better way to say that.  The sound has energy and is alive and real.  Not dull.  No veil.  No boring politeness.

2) The background is absolutely black.  The blackest I've ever heard.

3) The bass is authoritative.  It's textured.  It runs deep and hits hard.

4) There's no grain in the upper frequencies.  It's smooth and life-like.

5) The imaging is exquisite.  I have to retrain my brain to imagine where the instruments are on stage because it's filling is spaces that weren't previously there.  I'll be spending many late nights re-listening to my music collection.  The sound isn't the "three blob" image we hear about from time to time.  It's more 3D and complete.  Great width and depth.  Height is pretty good, too.

6) The attack and decay are dogmatically vigilant. The DAC attacks the music and throws it at you with enthusiasm.

7) The midrange is superb.  Guitars have texture I'm not used to hearing.

8) Space.  There is space between instruments and voices that simply wasn't there with the V-DAC.

9) Micro detail.  The detail retrieval is much better than the V-DAC using the same source files.  I'm hearing sounds I've never heard before.  Unfortunately, I'm hearing flaws in some recordings that the V-DAC's politeness masked.

10) PRAT monster.

In my mind, there's no comparison between the V-DAC and the Bifrost Uber.  Sure, differences between DACs are subtle  But, the collection of these subtle differences put a huge gap between the V-DAC and Bifrost Uber.

I'm not trying to cut the V-DAC down.  When I first bought it, it was was a major upgrade to my CD player and I was super excited to have it.  But, time has passed it over and the Bifrost Uber is the better piece of equipment at this time.  And, but a pretty large margin.  Well, if you add up all the small differences, it becomes a large margin.

Pros: Great DAC for the price

Cons: slightly awkward placing of power switch

I bought the Bifrost to complete my home audio system. This started with me listening to my portable player at home, followed by open headphones, then headphone amp and finally HDD based music and the DAC.

The more home listening I did the more I needed something to link my HDD full of high resolution music to my lovely LCD2 headphones. As I'd been using a Lyr amp for some time, the Bifrost was the obvious solution. Fortunately, computer has optical audio output so I could get away with the basic bifrost without the USB option, so for me the USB as optional is a money saver rather than a cost.

I can't compare the sound with any other DAC, but the quality of playback is far better than when I connected my PC to the Lyr via standard audio connectors. The gain over IBasso DX-100 to Lyr via its line out is greater in convenience terms than in audio terms and certainly less of a leap than the gain from PC to Lyr direct.

My only minor quibble is the power switch is not easy to use, being placed right at the back, so I tend to leave mine on for more time than I would like.

In short, I now have easy access to my 250 GB of mostly high resolution music straight from desktop to ears and the Bifrost is a great, cost effective, neat link in my digital music chain. I would happily recommend this DAC to anyone.

Pros: Bright and crisp sound, 3 different inputs to match your setup, Solid construction, Great and prompt customer support

Cons: USB addon is pricey, Bright input indicator LEDs on front (color mismatched to a Schiit Lyr)

ALAC lossless music > MBP > Optical > Schiit Bifrost (previously a Nuforce uDac) > Schiit Lyr > Audeze LCD2r2 (previously a Denon d2000)

Artists listened to:

Deadmau5

The Birthday Massacre

Dub Fx

Feed Me

Flux Pavilion

Skrillex

Teebs

The construction of the Bifrost is superb, with only minor quirks. The aluminum chassis is rigid and sturdy; there's no body flex or any loose components inside. The only downsides are that the input indication LEDs on the front are bright and not the same temperature of white as the Lyr.

The jump in sound quality from a simple entry-level DAC is definitely noticeable. Everything about my music improved, if only slightly. The soundstage has noticeably opened up, with the highs becoming more crisp and the lows having a more defined texture. At lower volumes, the Bifrost retains its clarity and resolution over the uDac, which gives a greater impression of dynamic range.

Overall, I would really recommend this to anyone looking to sate their latest temptations in the pursuit of greater sound. This is a great component to any setup and it feels like it will last a long, long time!

Pros: Sound and build Quality

Cons: None

I own my Bifrost now for 2 months and it just keep getting better. Major improvement was also achieved by upgrading the power cable. Im not using it with headphones but to play music from Spotify via my iPad. I started my DAC quest via an Audioengine D1 to a Micromega MyDac which had issues with the Apple connection to finaly the Bifrost.

Pros: transparency, realism

Cons: not balanced?

I only have my Mjolnir 2 Amp to test with Multifrost (Vali is in storage) so it's hard to tell where one ends and the other begins.

That said, since I sent in my uberfrost for the upgrade, I've noticed a general lack of sibilance in my music, a smoothness that I associate with sitting in symphony hall itself. It feels more natural, organic, palpable, and real. My main criticism of the uber is that it sounded digital. I heard compression artifacts and the sound could come across thinner than it would be in reality.

Bimby definitely isn't indistinguishable from a live performance, but the sound quality is still quite high, and represents an excellent value. I recommend it enthusiastically. The uber was certainly the weak link in my chain; now, although I would love to upgrade to the Yggy, there is no sense of bottleneck at the DAC.

Listening to the Solti/CSO Resurrection Symphony of Mahler on the HD800, you get an incredible sense of being there. Strings have heft, the oboe has its glorious nasality. The soundstage is holographic.

Schiit Audio Bifrost DAC
By:

Bifrost is the world's most affordable fully upgradable DAC, featuring 32-bit D/A conversion, a fully discrete analog section, and a sophisticated bit-perfect clock management system, together with one of the most advanced asynchronous USB 2.0 inputs available (optional), as well as SPDIF coaxial and optical inputs, all with 24/192 capability. Fully Upgradable: The Future-Proof DAC
 Worried about rapidly-changing USB input technology? Concerned about future advances in D/A conversion? Bifrost's modular design uses separate, USB Input and DAC/Analog cards. The result? A virtually future-proof DAC that won't end up in the dumpster. AKM4399 D/A Converter and Discrete Analog Section
 Even without considering upgradability, Bifrost offers incredible value. Consider its AKM4399 32 bit D/A converter, one of the highest performance DACs in the world. Also consider that Bifrost uses a fully discrete, low noise JFET analog section-just like multi-thousand-dollar DACs. Advanced Bitperfect Clock Management
 Most DACs in this price range is sacrifice every single one of your original music samples to get their 192kHz spec. Every input is routed through a sample rate converter and upsampled to 24/192. Bifrost dispenses with the sample rate converter and uses a sophisticated master clock management system to deliver bit-perfect data to the DAC, preserving all the original samples--whether it's 16/44.1 or 24/192. Specifications* Inputs: Coaxial SPDIF, Optical SPDIF, USB (optional)
Input Capability: up to 24/192 for all inputs
Input Receiver, SPDIF: Crystal Semiconductor CS8416
 Input Receiver, USB: C-Media CM6631A D/A Conversion IC: AKM4399
Analog Summing, Filtering: Fully Discrete, JFET differential topology Output: RCA (single-ended)
Output Impedance: 75 ohms