Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Rockit Sounds R-50

Rockit Sounds R-50

Rated #27 in Universal Fit

Pros: Treble detailing, spacious sound, wide soundstage and layering

Cons: Bass, not enveloping, slightly thin sounding at times, a tad sterile

Just want to state up front my review rating is an absolute rating, not one based on comparative performance, pricing etc.

These are my observations after using an iBasso DX50, MacBook air, FiiO E17 and Sansa Clip Zip as test sources. I found very little variation between those sources with the DX50 maybe bringing out a little bit more richness and depth.

Highs: Well what can I say, the treble is of such a high quality I was surprised. They can be a tad sibilant depending on what you are listening to but generally I would say the highs are of a very high quality not far off earphones that cost a lot more. Detail is there in spades and the wide soundstage and layering is also very good.

Mids: A repeat of the highs really. Very wide, layering even better than in the highs. The start of the weaknesses appears in the mids however. At the lower end things start to fade away and lower mid sounds that should be there are pushed way back. This takes away from the richness of the sound making the overall presentation quite thin. Such a shame.

Lows: If you are even a mild bass head then look the other way, these do not deliver anywhere near the right level of bass. I could not find one track that sounded as it should. The bass was either veiled or just not there at all. I tried every tip available and others I had. Nothing helped. If Rock-it can get the bass right on their next release we could be on for a fantastic pair of earphones.

Overall: After living with these for a couple of months I am deeply frustrated. Rarely at the lower price ranges have I found anything near what I could call 'very good' sound quality. Most things sound cheap, unnatural, unbalanced or just plain wrong. I am happy to report that if you can live without much bass then these are a bit of a bargain. The build quality, as others have pointed out, leaves a lot to be desired. They feel very delicate and may break easily. Another point is the physical size of these, they are tiny. I find that a good thing as the fit snuggly in the ear and once inserted remain in place no matter what you are up to.

I am very much looking forward to the next release!

Pros: Incredible detail, massive soundstage, great build, super comfortable

Cons: Memory wire seems a bit iffy, stock tips are pretty terrible, may need an EQ and/or better tips to truly shine

First, I would like to thank Rockit Sounds for giving me a 50% discount on these for this review.

The Rockit Sounds R-50 is unreal.

The moment the R-50 arrived at my house, I was ecstatic and literally jumping for joy. I had heard so much about these, I just had to have the experience of actually hearing them.

I took them out of their container and gazed upon what would become my favorite IEM. Dual balanced armatures, braided cables; it was perfect.

I put them in, and began to have a sonic experience that I'd not ever heard from an IEM before. I put on some of my favorite tracks and was immediately overtaken by the incredible quality of the R-50.

This IEM is so incredible.

Build - Sturdy plastic housings with soft silicone cover. It feels excellently crafted. Memory wire is very soft. The joint between the wire and housing worries me ever so slightly.

Comfort - I've never used any IEM that was this comfortable. The silicone casing around it really takes away any discomfort that I've had with other IEMs.

Isolation - Pretty average. Greatly improves with tri-flange tips.

Sound - I can't believe how good these are. The overall presentation is so clear; so detailed. I was extremely impressed with my first listen, and I'm still impressed every time I put them in my ears.

The lows are well extended, detailed, and most definitely not overwhelming or bloated. However, they don't really add any warmth to the sound. With the stock tips, the lows can be underwhelming.

The midrange here is perfectly reproduced. I find it to excel at whatever genre I play. Both female and male vocals sound lifelike. The R-50 has such clear and balanced mids. They're some of the best I've heard. Definitely better than a good amount of over-ears I've used around the price.

Treble frequencies are what I find these do best. I've not heard any kind of clarity like this before. It was the first thing that I noticed with these. Snares, cymbals, everything sounds so crisp. It can get sibilant, however, especially with the stock tips.

The soundstage of the R-50 is pure bliss. There is so much space in the presentation. It's absolutely incredible, and, without a doubt, I like it more than almost every over-ear I've tried.

Accessories - 3 sizes of silicone tips, clamshell carrying case, and airline adapter. The tips are pretty bad, if you didn't notice. I wouldn't dare use them for casual listening. The sound greatly improves with aftermarket tips.

Tips and sound changes

Stock - Like I said, these are pretty bad. The bass is very underwhelming, and the treble is very sibilant, even for me, as I like bright treble.

Shure Gray Flex - Much, much better than the stock tips. Sibilance is reduced, while bass comes out to what I would consider to be a natural/balanced level.

Shure Gray Flex substitutes from eBay seller 'lostearbuds' - My favorite single-flange tip for the R-50 for sure. Has the same sonic changes as the real Gray Flex tips. The fit is amazing too. These are the most grippy tips I've ever used. I actually think I prefer these over the real Shure Gray Flex. Plus, they're much lower in price.

Shure Black Soft Flex - These were what I used before the Gray Flex and substitutes arrived. Still a good improvement over the stock tips. Compared to the Gray Flex/subs, these still have some of sibilance and bass is a little underwhelming, but nowhere near the level of the stock tips.

Shure Tri-flange - Sibilance is 98% removed, and the entire frequency spectrum comes into harmony.

Etymotic Tri-flange - Sibilance is completely removed. Other than that and possibly the fit (which I found these to be much more comfortable), these tips sound identical to the Shure tri-flanges. The Etymotic tri-flange tips are my most recommended tri-flange tips, and tips in general for the R-50. I recommend these most.

Monster/Generic tri-flange - I kind of just took a shot with these. These are about on-par with the Shure Black Soft Flex, but with a tiny bit more control on the sibilance.

Hopefully to come sometime in the future...

Westone STAR tips
Westone True Fit tips
Etymotic Glider tips

Etymotic Foam tips

Shure Black Foam tips (Olives)

Shure Yellow Foam tips

Assorted Comply tips

The Rockit Sounds R-50 is probably the best IEM you can get with this kind of signature (balanced/articulate) at this price ($120).

I absolutely recommend it to anyone looking for this kind of sound. The R-50 is a true winner.

Pros: analitical, cheep

Cons: harsh, fatiguing listening

For my taste are too analitical cans.I try to remove the  high frequencies sibiling using several different tips...shure triple  compy foam....nothing they remain too harsh for my tasty.

I also try using Little dot I+ and 30ohm resistore...They have no musicality ...better Titan 1 or Beyerdynamic 102

Pros: Detailed Hifi sound. Excellent instrument separation, exceptional soundstage, very light. Sounds incredible with indie, alternative, jazz, rock

Cons: Tips included are not the best. Bass is lacking in quantity (not quality!)

Since 2011 when I first discovered this site, I've experimented with quite a few low/mid-tier earphones and these are my favorite by far. I prefer them over my Vsonic Gr06, Vsonic VC1000, and Yahama EPH-100. The only real problem I have with them is the lack of bass impact. (If you listen to mainly Hip-Hop/EDM, take a look at the yamahas for a similar price). Albums such as Dr. Dre's The Chronic, Cannibal Ox's The Cold Vein, any ATCQ still sounds amazing. Take a look at Shure Comply P-Series foam tips or Etymotic triple-flange tips as the included tips may not provide the perfect seal. For the price, I would absolutely reccomend to a friend.

Pros: Very open for IEMs. Clarity. Soundstage is actually massive. Comfort.

Cons: Treble is very harsh.

The treble is pretty overwhelming on these guys.  I usually EQ the top band down a couple of dBs.  But the soundstage is pretty crazy for an IEM (in my limited experience).  I had bass problems with these things for the longest time, but I finally found some tips that do the pieces justice.  I'm using the Shure Flex series.  The foams just didn't do it for me.

I will say, I think my right earpiece is quieter than the left, which is discouraging.  I've tried switching sides to verify the problem, and I think it's definitely the headphone volume.

For design, I would definitely prefer an L shaped plug, but it's okay.  The Y split seems sturdy enough, and I actually like the memory wire.

Overall, they are a little harsh, and can give me a headache sometimes.  I tend to prefer a more smooth sound, but I can't knock the tremendous imaging.  I hear things on these all the time that I can't hear with my Audio Technica M-50s.

Pros: Decent detail

Cons: Highs are sharp and brittle and in some cases downright painful, Bass is missing on a level I haven't experienced before.

I ordered these biased on the excellent reviews they received here on headfi. If you listen to anyone listen to me. These headphones sound BAD and just plain wrong. I have tried these from 2 sources now. First was my Sound Blaster Z... Completely unusable when connected to it. The highs are so harsh and sibilant that they make everything seem unpleasant tinny and just awful. Cymbal crashes will make you cry in pain, Voices will sound shrill and like nails on a chalkboard and the bass is just gone. Not there in the slightest. Completely and totally missing. Kick drumbs sound like a high pitched click instead of a full boom like they should. Its quite strange.  Using my other source Fiio e7 they are usable but just sound mediocre. It's not as clean as the Creative and the highs are cut off which is beneficial to these headphones. Either source I use the sound stage is tiny and everything sounds very thin and unpleasant.

Compared to my Sennheiser HD598's and my AKG K550's they are just not even in the same ball park. I was hoping they would sound a bit like the 550's but they don't they just sound awful.

Lastly the cords with the way they wrap around your ears is just plain stupid. It's hard to put them on, and they don't stay formed enough to stay hooked over my ears. I have to constantly squeeze them together to keep them formed around the back of my ear. When I bought them I figured I would just not use that and use them like normal ear buds but if you do that the drivers are upside down and are out of phase therefore making them sound very strange.

DO NOT buy these. They are horrid. I took the gamble on them so you don't have to.

Pros: Balanced Sound, Amazing Detail, Very quick, Great Sensitivity and moderate impedance.

Cons: Lack of tips, case it comes with is a little small.

I love accuracy and detailed audio reproduction and I was looking to get a set of Etymotic HF5's but after talking to Billy at Noisy Motel I was introduced to the Rockit R50, these had unbelievably good write-ups here on head-fi and are a great price so I thought I need to check them out.  Billy's customer service was great and he agreed to wait at the office to meet me after hours (thanks again if you're reading this Billy!).

I currently have a pair of Etymotic MC5's, and Monoprice 9927's as my other IEM's, the R50's absolutely blitz both of those units.  The sound is comparable to my AKG K702 with a little more bass and a much smaller soundstage and less air (as can be expected).

At first I was very impressed, but then I let some music play through them at moderate volume for a few hours (I'm a burn in believer, even if it probably doesn't work with BA drivers).  After this I put a set of Etymotic triple-flange tips on and I put them back on and listened to some music I was very familiar with, WOW!.

I could hear new details in tracks I've listened to countless times with countless headphones, I could finally hear what those background voices in some of my Boards of Canada tracks were saying.  The natural sound and neutrality of these IEM's is very very impressive, they seem so effortless and balanced.  They handle bass well, they handle treble very well (although not super-high airy treble, but I think this may be because they are actually inside my ear), the mids are a tiny tiny bit recessed but really I'm being very picky.

These are nothing short of amazing at the $129 I paid for them.  Also if you're like me and you don't want to fiddle with memory wire and looping these over the ear you can just straighten the wire out and use them like normal IEM's (although the Left side goes in the Right ear).  I've heard complaints about build quality but I was told this had been rectified with the newest version although they are still not the most durable IEM's available, but with them having a silicone coating on the outside these feel quite good and I don't feel like these are just going to fall apart.

I've noticed they do sound better out of my o2 than out of a portable player (the treble seems to be more apparent out of the o2).  I am going to make a 75 or 150 ohm impedance adapter to use with these (and my Sony MDR 7520's) soon, mainly so I can turn the amp up more than anything else (120db sensitivity!) but I'll report back if it changes the sound at all.

If you're like me and you crave accuracy and detail in your music then give these a go, you will not be disappointed!

Pros: Sound quality (transparency, balance, detail, soundstage), comfort.

Cons: Accessories

Let’s start with the accessories, which are 3 pairs of silicone tips (small, medium and large size), airline adapter plug (should replace it with foam tips or something else more practical IMO) and a small nylon carrying case.

Even with the stock tips isolation is very good, it does isolate from almost all unwelcome outside noises but you will still be able to hear car beeping or someone calling you loudlybigsmile_face.gif which is quite important to me.

Comfort wise they are rather good too, housings are light and small, though my ears did ache from wearing them first few days, now I don’t even feel that they’re in.

Housings are well built and they won’t break unless you want them to, but in this price range you can find better solutions if durability is a top priority. Cable is on the thin side but feels sturdy enough to not be afraid of tearing it accidentally.

And I acctualy like their looks, it suits well my military style cool.gif

And now about the sound. First what I noticed listening R-50 is how transparent they are comparing to all the earphones I’ve listened before, there is no bass leakage or background noises whatsoever, at least to my hearing.

I find R-50 to be perfectly balanced.  To my hearing bass isn’t lacking at all, it’s clean, tight and punchy, with short decay time.

There is slight midrange domination over the other frequencies. Midrange is clean and accurate and intimate, vocals sound very natural and close, which is rather thrilling.

Just as everyone describes it treble is sparkly, clean and with great extension. At the first listen I didn’t like treble being too sparkly and even tended to use equalizer, but after few hours of listening I got used to it and started enjoing it popcorn.gif

Separation and detail is probably as good as it can get, you can clearly distinguish different instruments even on a very busy and fast track. R-50 also offers good soundstage but not better than my SoundMagic E30.

Many state R-50 to be too analytical and fatiguing. I in my turn consider them quite musical and enjoyable for casual listening smily_headphones1.gif

Pros: Detail, Speed and Presentation

Cons: Some of the worst build quality, Design and Comfort.

^^( First I would like to thank Rob Reyna of In Ear Customs who got me the R-50 to make up for my reshelled GH-ERC-DMS getting stolen in POST )

I am writing this review as I will be parting with my R-50 within another day or two, the left cable has come loose and rotates around the housing, making the IEM unusable as it can only be worn around ear.

On to the sound quality, this for me is the TWFK to be. A role model of sorts. The sound quality is excellent, imaging is the best I have heard from an IEM. The treble dont get very peaky like my GH-ERC-DMS(another TWFK). Mind you, the treble will definitely get annoying to listeners sensitive to brightness/treble emphasis also with the sibilance that is present.

I don't think TWFK Knowles implemented earphones really need a second introduction to detail reproduction, as far as I know they are second to none.

The bass is real tight and fast. Does n't show much sub-bass body but the mid-bass is excellent in quality and to an extent satisfying in quantity.

With comply tips, the sound really is something astonishing. The brightness is reduced by a good margin and the over-all sound remains airy yet delicate and detailed. A slightly warmer presentation with extended treble and better bass body while the sibilance in the mids is nullified. I think, this is the best presentation for me and reminds me of the RE-272 by Hifiman, with better bass and better present treble.

The imaging is spectacular and beats all my previous earphones by a mile, and the transient response is also stunning with these earphones.

As evident, my only gripe is the ridiculous,sub-par, atrocious build quality that really annoys me to have it send back.

I ll do a couple of comparison for you other IEM owners out there although much of them is from memory(which is clear)

1. Sony MH1C

The sony is very very very forgiving compared to the R-50. The bass is the highlight, yet the mids are present to a very appreciable extent and the treble just dies down but is well extended. They resolve a very good amount and is generally a perfect signature for the casual listener. Their sound stage offers very good width and height but loses in accuracy and imaging to the R-50, which also has an amazing height in its presentation yet not so much width. Micro-detailing is completely polar to the MH1C, and the overall sound is very very warm to my ears to get the real hang of things in music.

The GH-ERC-DMS was my first TWFK Knowles dual BA monitor that provided excellent imaging, great resolution and adequate bass. With comply tips the sound was excellent albeit brighter and more treble tilted than the R-50. The micro-detail is on par with the R-50 but the refinement and imaging is not. The mids are also much more forward than on the R-50 and the over all balance is towards to the uppermids-treble.

3. SE-535

Mid-forward presentation with the best bass I have heard from an IEM. They are not so resolving as the R-50 nor has the height in presentation. Their build quality was just light years ahead of the R-50, but to me that is almost what you pay for. I think the R-50 is much more transparent of the recording and their imaging still beats the $300+ Shures. Their transients are good yet not in the level of the R-50. The bass is very refined on the SE-535 and much better in quantity and quality over the R-50s.

4. RE-272

So far my reference, I do not know what exactly happened to these godly IEMs or why Fang Bian decided to replace them with the new line up. Their paper filter version(which I auditioned first) is more of what I prefer over the metal filter version(which I acquired second). I think the R-50 offer much better imaging and is also more transparent of the recording than the RE-272. The R-50 has better treble presence, yet quality of the treble on the RE-272 is simply better. The bass is very low in quantity on the RE-272 and the R-50 just feels better with the low-end. The mids on both are fairly flat, yet I think the RE-272 has the edge.

If you want an IEM for re-shelling get the R-50, that's all I have to recommend to you. I do not think that they are supposed to be used for long time and are like disposable cameras, only good for the roll of film inside.

Thanks for reading

Rockit Sounds R-50

The flag ship IEM from Rockit Sounds with a Knowles TWFK driver thats tuned to be detailed yet smoother than many other TWFK based IEM's.

Driver TypeKnowles TWFK