Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › RHA MA750i

RHA MA750i

Pros: Built Quality , Audio Quality , Bang For Buck , Extra Eartips , Stainless Steel , 3 year warranty .

Cons: mandatory burn in required

My last review was the IE800 + iFi iDSD Micro , which i really thought i wouldn't be writing another review of audio products as i sold both of them away due to my enlistment into the Singapore National Service in the Singapore Armed Forces , "Army" as some would call it .

Well , here i am again as i am allowed to bring these into camp !

Alright , after selling the insanely top notch bundle , i decided to settle for something a little affordable which covers my 2 years in this journey here , where i require them to be durable too . Then i stumble upon them , the MA750i , which meets most of my needs , High quality built , excellent audio quality for the price , 2 sets of ear-tips per size in case you lose yours . a luxurious leather pouch . There is nothing much i could ask for considering the price range .

Audio
Similiarly , the reason behind my decision is also the fact that i am a sucker for dynamic drivers , balanced armature just does not sound right to me , regardless how well they are tuned , no way sound resonates as beautifully and naturally as a dynamic driver .

Its sound, is tuned for fun and clarity
great bass quality , lush mids , pleasant high-mids which may be slightly recessed (not an issue, but a character) , treble is acceptable , not harsh nor lacking . overall it sounds well bodied with character and energy , enough for you to justify the price you paid and more .

The sound signature should appeal to masses.
Energetic, Powerful, Solid, Lush, Warm, Intimate.

The soundstage is wide for a IEM of the price , definitely not as comparable as my IE800 , but at the fraction of the price , it is a very strong contender considering it's price . Instrumental segregation is rather good too.

if you are looking for an IEM around this price range , do seriously consider these .

An important thing to note would be that they require a fair bit of burn in before they are ready for evaluation , initial out of the box sounds like crap, honestly . Let it to play slightly louder than your usual listening volume for about a day , then get back to it , you'll be impressed . it gets even better with longer duration of use . Many reviewers have also mentioned about this mandatory initial burn in of the RHA required . Just do it .

Built
Not a plastic in sight . One material i dislike most is plastic , having paid a premium for my things , i hate touching plastic . plastic is a cheap material and it makes your product look cheap , thank goodness none was found in the built of these , steel , rubber and silicone . You can coat the plastic with rubber and i will still be fine with it . hahaha !

Entire IEM have a quality weight to it , its rather dense , but i like my product alittle weighty too , similarly , light IEM makes it feel cheap . I am not particularly sure what is with all these premium materials RHA is using to divert it's competitors to RHA , but it works . Even the packaging is beautiful , when you flip over the black box , the presentation and array of eartips will stir your mind , they will be compelled to give in . trust me . it's like a man's jewellery .

Competitor
In my opinion , the direct competitor the Shure SE215 , have got some planning to do , it's a very popular IEM , definately outsell the RHA MA750i , however at roughly the similar price , the Shure SE215 gives you a plastic housing , smaller dynamic driver , connection issues due to wear in the MMCX pin , 1 year warranty , a drawstring soft pouch , a limited number of ear tips , slightly poorer in clarity in mids and treble . Bass quality would be up to your preference , as i could not remember it , but it should be rather close .

Conclusion
To conclude my review of the MA750i , i would say , if you are deciding on getting an in ear in this price range , go down to your retailer , give it's box a flip , then ask for a demo of the unit , you may just fall in love with it the moment you hold it in your very hands . The sound will then blow you away with it's quality for that price .

5 star product , solely for all the bang for my hard earned dollar .

Pros: Soundstage, detailing, clean bass, separation, comfort once you get used to it, accessories, build quality, customer support.

Cons: Bad recordings don't sound great, comfort in the beginning, some QC in regards to package cleanliness.

This is my first review on Head-Fi, so forgive me for my trip ups and lack of jargon, as I simply do not have the knowledge or experience to accurately describe everything I hear and feel.

That being said, I deliberated over my purchase of these IEM's for quite a while. For a few months, I had a toss-up between the GR07 BE, Sennheiser CX985, Rock-It R50 and RHA MA-750i. Any one of these purchases would be my 'step' into new territory: triple-digits audio gear.

Before I go any further, I'll describe my previous collection, to provide a little context to the rest of the review. Almost 2 years ago, I was running a pair of MH1's, which I bought when my original Sony Ericsson IEM's were lost. At that point, sound quality was the least of my concern: I just needed a mic and something to hear music with, and most importantly, wasn't expensive. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the MH1's were actually not bad at all, and was raved by many Head-Fier's, as it would seem.

A year later, I bought a new laptop, and since I needed to do quite a lot of Skyping on it, I intended to use my MH1's. To my disappointment, the connectors weren't compatible, so I went out and deliberated over another set of earphones. My eye caught on the Ultimate Ears 500vm, which in addition to having support for my phone (due to an included adapter), also worked with my laptop. My opinion on the 500's were a bit more mixed compared to the MH1: bass was weak-ish for my taste, and it was somewhat hard to drive. Nonetheless, its excellent isolation was incredibly favourable to my daily routine of public transport, so it wasn't a total loss.

When I had a bit more money, I finally decided that I would properly venture into the territory of high-end audio, but baby steps first, I thought. These RHA's, I had hope, would be a successful first step. I would not be wrong.

Packaging

I don't think I need to go over the packaging in too much detail: countless other reviewers have taken pictures of the packaging, and it is indeed excellent. One problem, however, was pinching from packaging, which somewhat left marks that, thankfully, fade away in time. In addition, some of the tips I got were dirty, and the tip holder was mildly scratched. I was a bit annoyed, but it's not a deal-breaker, considering that everything else was nicely preserved.

Build Quality

One reason why I chose the MA750i's over the others was its apparent build quality. In one word, it's a tank. Cables are as thick as some headphones I've seen, and most impressively the spring on the ends of the connector which act as a strain relief. It works, a little too well at times, but I'll rather have inconvenience than the earphones breaking any day of the week.

Accessories

The MA750i's came with 10 pairs of tips: single-flanged SML, double-flanged SL and 2 foamies. Of the silicone tips, only the largest of each fit me, and the foamies were unbearably painful for the first few days, in which they softened enough to not destroy my ears.

In addition, the MA750i's also came with a shirt clip (hint: don't hook it to the main cable) which has a 360* swivel on it, and a soft pouch. The soft pouch was a bit underwhelming, but since, in my experience, most earphones break through snagging and not crushing, it's suitable enough. From my personal experience, I would not hold the tip holder in the pouch: the headphones actually scratched the tip holder quite a bit until I realised. Again, this is my vanity sneaking in, so it's not that big of a deal.

I won't lie: these IEM's are heavy. How heavy? Well, when I was turning my head quickly, the IEM's which were hanging off my ear (since I was talking to someone) flew off them and hit my mate's glasses with enough force it knocked them from his head.

That being said, the over-ear design works, to an extent. Since I have don't have large ears, the curve doesn't hook onto my ear perfectly: I compensated by pulling the hook taut then holding them in place with my glasses. Once done, it's incredibly comfy.

That being said, it takes quite a bit of getting used to in the beginning. I thought they were exceedingly painful at first, and it's only after a few days which they became comfy. A word of warning, though: in winter, especially for those living in below-zero (Celcius) temperatures, the housing is freezing, since it's steel. Warm them up in your hand first or else your ears will want to kill you.

Sound Quality

This is probably the area where I can either agree with some people here, or piss them off, so I'll try to be compromising here.

Compared to my MH1's and UE500's, the sound quality was initially bland. I was actually a bit bummed at first, noting how the mids were a bit too overbearing, and the bass did not have a certain 'punch' to it. In addition, the IEM's were either bloody painful or too loose: I opted with bloody painful. Over a few days, however, I gave my MA750i's a chance, and here's where things get interesting. I have no idea if it's my ear getting un-stretched back to its normal size (since my UE500's have quite a deep insertion), my brain got attuned to the earphones or it got burned in, but the MA750i's over time actually became decent.

I listen to a wide variety of music. If anything, I listen to everything besides house music (which is, IMO, a bit of a stretch to classify as 'music' more than 'noise'). The great thing about these is that, while it's not particularly excellent for one genre, it's great for all genres.

For pop music, vocals can shine without being too harsh or sibilant. Female vocals are particularly intimate with these: I am particularly fond of listening to Celtic Woman through these, as the MA750i's can accomplish both intimacy of the solo vocals and exuberance of the accompanying orchestra at the same time.

Classical music is probably my favorite with these: with decent, modern recordings, soundstage and separation is excellent. Piano solos sound decent, no obvious highs poking out anywhere, but orchestral music is where it truly shines for me: the soundstage can be shown off through this. Beethoven's 9th Symphony is particularly impressive on these, with the vocals in the 4th movement synergising well with the sheer energy of the orchestra.

Soundtracks are much the same story with classical: excellent soundstage and separation. More synth-based soundtracks, such as Mass Effect 3's, can show off the MA750's control of bass.

Hip-hop/rap is probably the weakest genre for the MA750i's: not saying they are bad, but they lack the other strengths the other genres display. However, hip-hop/rap does exhibit a quality of the MA750i's: its ability to control bass without feeling like a truck ran over you, and spilling over to the vocals.

The low-mids are one area which, I've realised over time, I don't like quite that much, so a simple EQ fix bumping down the 125 Hz range was more or less the only EQ I did, besides a little bass boost (coz I happen to like more bass :) )

Conclusion

With a few exceptions, the majority of my friends spend ~$20 on their head gear maximum, with some going a bit more for earPods. When they realise how much my MA750i's cost, there first question, usually following their prompts of 'WTF', is, 'why did you spend that much?' In the beginning, I thought this is the same question as asking why your handbag costs more than my phone, or why your phone costs more than double mine. In other words, if you asked me before I bought these, I would not have known the answer.

Now, I think I do.

Pros: Tight bass. detailed and warm midrange, crispy and clear treble, wonderful design, excellent build quality, good comfort with a plenty of ear tips

Cons: Lacks a little bit of refinement compared to higher end models, treble can be a bit overbearing, depending on source material, tangly cable

Disclaimer: The kind folks over at RHA provided me a sample of this unit. This, however, will not impact the opinions or the verdict in any way. Shots from the official RHA website.

About me:

I am a young music-lover and former music producer from a little place called Bergen, Norway. My belief is that good sound should be accessible for everyone and anyone, which is why this review is not written from an audiophile perspective. As for my sound preferences, I tend to go back and forth between a v-shaped sound and a somewhat bassy one, with a slight roll-off in the highs, depending on source material. Warm, lively, exciting, powerful and impactful are all appropriate buzzwords. Also, to make my reviews more accessible, I use nothing but a cell phone and a desktop audio interface while testing. But enough about me, let us get to it…

Design and build quality:

If there is one aspect where all other headphone manufacturers need to follow RHA, this is it. These guys are built in stainless steel, which leads them to perform WAY above their price range is terms of quality and build. The cable is also fortified with steel in two places: around the 3,5mm plug, where it connects to the sound source, as well as where the cable splits into two. More on the cable, it feels durable enough for regular use, especially with the mentioned fortifying. However, it does get a bit tangly, which is a bit annoying to deal with. Design-wise, it is also an excellent performer in my book, as I really enjoy their classy, subtle and luxurious looks. This is an aspect many, sadly enough, tend to at least partially ignore. I can therefore happily state that this is not the case here.

Here you can see the design of the MA750i's, where the build quality clearly shines through.

Comfort:

Due to their stainless steel build, they are slightly heavier than most. However, with their over-ear supports, which may not be to everyone’s liking, they stay secure and fit well while not heavy at all. As for comfort, they come with a whopping 10 pairs of included ear tips, two of which are double flanged, with another two made from memory foam. After finding the best fit, which should be pretty much impossible not to given the huge amount of included ear tips and varieties, they stay comfortably in my ear, and I can wear them for hours without any major discomfort issues. You might need to go through a few pairs of ear tips in order to find the one that suits you the best, but once you manage that, there is no need to look back.

All the tips included with these headphones, all contained in a stylish holder.

Now for the most important aspect of all audio products; the sound. As you can see I have split this segment into five parts, with additional thoughts in the final segment.

Lows: The bass is very tight and focused, maybe more than the preference of the average consumer. It definitely has a solid presence, but it manages this without overpowering the rest of the audio spectrum and doesn’t bleed into the midrange. The amount of lows might not be much for average consumers used to overpowering and muddy bass, but its tightness and presence contributes to this IEM bridging the gap between the consumer world and high-end audio.

Mids: As these headphones feature a v-shaped sound signature, the mids are a bit recessed. They can also be described as warm, which is to my strong liking. Detail, while not winning over much more expensive options, is not a shortage here, and they deliver a present, crisp and clear experience. Also, it is worth noting that while the mids take a little step back, they do not suffer from the weird tonalities and other ruining audible factors.  If I had to nitpick, I would say the upper mids deserve a tidbit more presence. Nothing of major concern, though.

Highs: The treble, unsurprisingly, is boosted as well. Coming from a smoother pair of headphones, these initially sounded harsh. It is also worth noting that this is a common talking point of critics of these headphones. I personally do not believe in “burn-in” as a technical phenomenon, instead being process where your brain gets used to the sound. Anyway, I found the highs to be a bit harsh in beginning, but after some quality time with them, I found myself getting used to the treble. There is plenty of detail here, and they are just as crisp and clear as the mids. However, with me personally being a bit treble-sensitive, they can be a bit too much when playing content heavy on highs.

Soundstage: The soundstage is reasonably wide. Nothing extreme, but it is more than spacious enough, and I doubt that any of you will be dissatisfied with it. Instrumental layering and positioning is good and very satisfying.

Sound overall:

In my subjective opinion, these IEMs manage to deliver a balanced, yet crisp, detailed and powerful sound for a decent price. The lows should be strong enough for most’s liking, but also tight enough to not overpower the rest of the music. The mids are well balanced, rich and warm, but they are a bit recessed, which may be a deal breaker to some. The treble, like the lows, are a bit boosted, but after some time getting used to them they were nothing but a positive experience, livening up dull recordings with that extra bit of crispiness and spark. Overall, I thoroughly enjoy this product’s wonderful sound, and I find it to work well with all the genres I have thrown at it, including pop, electronic and more acoustical performances. They can’t measure up to the refinement offered by some other models, mostly higher priced, but I did not miss it at all.

These produce an excellent sound for most people, even from portable sources.

Noise isolation:

As a portable in-ear headphone, noise isolation is also very important when using it while out and about. For this type of usage I found it to be as well suited as most other in-ears. It does not feature active noise cancelling or anything like that. Instead, it has as good passive noise isolation as most other IEMs. They block out more than enough commute noise for a listenable experience. As always, some of the lower end gets drowned in the noise, but that is hard to correct without active noice cancelling technologies. The  way it is is more than acceptable in my opinion.

Who’s this product for?

This product is for your everyday music lover, who is tired of the apple earbuds, and wants something more stylish and better sounding. They have also been described as perfect for “the audiophile on a budget”, which I can definitely agree with. As a first dip into the world high-res, audiophile goodness, these are excellent.

Verdict: 4,5/5

P.S. For some reason the "audio quality" meter on this article is far lower than it should be. I rank the audio as 9/10.

Pros: Build quality

Cons: dark sounding, lacks detail in the midrange

Build quality is great and they're so much more comfortable than my GR07s.  I really wanted to like them, but I just couldn't get them dialed in.  Even heavily EQing the bass and treble down, the mids still sounded recessed and lacked detail.  The thumpy bass is nice, but the novelty wore off quickly.  I work in the audio industry and I understand a lot of people like a "hot" top end with a fat bottom end - if that's you, then these would be a great headphone for you.  If you're looking for flat response, with detailed mids, then I have to say give something else a try.  I think these would also benefit greatly from an amp if you're considering these for use with a phone or tablet.

Based on build quality and comfort, if RHA ever comes out with IEM with flat response, it would be high on my list to try.

Pros: Unbeatable Build Quality, Beautiful Design, Comfort, Isolation, Instruments, Imaging, Timbre and overall Sound Singature

Cons: Cable might not be so friendly for some

Full review here:

The overall signature is of a very, very wide U-shaped form, with equal and excellent extension on both ends. The bass is very special and takes a really different form than the MA350, RHA entry-fi previous model, and many other mid-fi earphones that the MA750 compete against. Instead of focusing on a strong and thick mid-bass centered low-end, the MA750 offer a flatter response at the mid-bass section. It's still rather strong as dynamic drivers can get, but doesn't show a certain lift or peak. On the other hand, what the MA750 really have is an impressive sub-bass response, with definitely more emphasis than the rest of the bass making it a more refined and less tiring earphone. As such, the bass is deep with a very good rumble quality, well bodied and layered, and yet fairly quick with a natural sense of decay. Not a bass cannon by any means but capable of showing more than enough power when needed. Both the Dunu DN-1000 and Brainwavz S5 have a much mid-bassy signature what might be more 'fun' for some, but this RHA set is more refined and better controlled over those ones.

The midrange of the MA750 is something unique. Neither forward nor recessed, but pretty much neutral in position. It's very clear and open, carrying a fair sense of warmth yet clean of bass bleed, though it does need some period of burn-in to bloom and achieve a perfect weight and dynamics. Even though it's already very impressive from the first listening sessions, personally I found that it took about 200 hrs to settle down and finally show the real strengths. The midrange it's not only well balanced with the lows and highs, but also intelligibly textured and bodied for excellent instrumental and vocal performance. Overall midrange clarity is at least on par with the RE-400, though both single dynamic models differ in flavor; the RE-400 giving higher priority to more forward, effortless and sweeter vocals, while the MA750 is emphasizing instruments a bit more and a bit drier in the vocals dept.

Treble is pretty much a mirror to the bass response. Transition from upper mids to lower highs is very smooth and main treble is relatively flat, or at least doesn't show certain peaks. What the MA750 really have is a stronger emphasis at the upper treble region for better extension and wider stage. With the stock single tips, the MA750 could classify among brighter IEMs; not a 'hot' treble set but yes a sharp one. The R-50M, DN-1000, Altone200, or even the DN-2000, all TWFK dual BA based phones, are expectedly hotter on the mid-treble, more tiring, and probably more prone to sibilance (with exception to the DN-2000 which is surprisingly smooth for a TWFK hybrid phone). The RHA MA750 are not lazy either, but are just more focused at the upper treble. Overall micro-detail is very good, though not as microscopic-detailed as the above BA variants, but really well done for the asking price and higher. Instead of being frontal and analytical, details come in a more dynamic way which requires some time to truly appreciate them.

So far so good, and this RHA model excels in every region. And yet, where I find the MA750 really shine is in stage and instruments, and especially in timbre. Soundstage is rather big and very spacious as usually proud good dynamic drivers IEMs can get. It's wide with equal sense of height and depth, giving a very good 3D surrounding effect. The MA750 sound is bigger than the Altone200 and R-50M but not as huge as the Dunu DN-1000, not to mention the enormous sounding DN-2000 with their much out-of-the-head sound. Actually it could be similar to a balanced well driven Hifiman RE-600. Instruments are way awesome, both in separation and quality. They have the detail, the texture and the weight, and also a very natural decay and right timing. Be it drums, strings, horns or cymbals, all of them are presented in an engaging and immersive way.

And finally, the timbre is "perfect", and personally the best characteristic of the MA750. Not even the hybrid DN-2000 has this beautiful natural tonality, despite their higher detail; but the hybrids' disadvantages are hard to totally avoid. The only set that could really beat the MA750 in this regard is the RE-600, and only when the strong AMP-S amplifier is used (and we're talking about $600+ setup here). Still, all this comes under one condition, the eartips. I tried different tips, including the RHA self MA350 tips, and found that the MA750 stock single tips provided the best sonic results and this great timbre, tonality and imaging.

Pros: Great bass, nice accessory set

Cons: Slight treble harshness with stock tips

First off, I would like to thank RHA for providing @C.C.S.. and I with review sets. I would also like to thank C.C.S. for nominating me for the review sample.

Gear used for review:

PC → Project H (Custom Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC and O2 with OPA2134 opamps)

iPod Classic → Silver LOD → Fiio E07k

Galaxy Nexus

Nexus 4

Inside the box:

The box looks very nice and professional overall:

Inside the box, you get a great set of accessories. There are six sets of single flange silicone tips and three sets of bi-flange tips, all included on a nifty metal card that helps you keep track of all the tips:

There is also a nice semi-hard case that has space to put the tip card in, as well as the IEMs themselves:

The cable on the MA750s is relatively thick without feeling too bulky. It feels like it won't be tearing anytime soon. The length is pretty standard for most IEMs. For me, this means they're a touch too short. However, I am 6'6” or roughly 198cm tall, so this shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Even though the MA750s are meant to be worn over the ear, there is still a small amount of microphonics from the cable if you do not use the cable cinch at the Y-split to keep the cable from flopping around against your neck while walking. Once you properly adjust the cable cinch though, microphonics are almost nonexistent.

The strain relief on the connector and the IEMs themselves is excellent.

The Y-split seems well built just like the connector. The strain relief for the Y-split is relatively short on both sides, but it feels adequate enough.

While I generally dislike ear guides, I really like the ear guides on the MA750s. The ear guides are not removable on the MA750; they are built into the cable and if someone would try to remove them, they would probably end up with bare wires. This is fine by me though, because unlike a lot of the ear guides that you can snap on with lower end IEMs, or those included in higher end CIEM cables that have very little give to them, the MA750 ear guides have enough flex in them that the weight of the cable will pull the ear guides down and contour to your ears. They seem more like a subtle hint that you should wear the MA750s with the cable over your ear than a potential obtrusion.

The build quality of the IEMs themselves is top notch. The aluminum shells both look and feel classy and durable.

Isolation is also fairly good on the MA750s. Once you get a good, deep seal (preferably with multi-flange tips), these do drown out most of the background noise, even when I have the volume low (which I usually do to try and avoid hearing loss). They still lag behind balanced armature sets I’ve had, but like most dynamic driver IEMs, the MA750s have a port that allows the dynamic driver to move air, limiting the maximum isolation possible.

Now that I've covered the most of the other stuff about the MA750, let's get to the sound, shall we?

Bass: The bass on the MA750 definitely north of neutral, but not overbearingly so. There is a good punch for most modern recordings, that still sounds coherent with bass guitars and things that aren’t meant to go boom. It occasionally bleeds into the lower midrange, but nothing too severe. I think the quantity is perfect for on-the-go listening. The quality is impressive. Bass guitars never sound muddy and are almost always discernable from the rest of the mix.

Mids: The midrange is, for the most part, balanced nicely in between the bass and the treble, except for a small spike and/or ringing in the upper midrange at approximately 5 kHz. This also adds a bit more detail to the overall sound spectrum though, and there are worse places to have a spike. For the price, you probably can’t find anything that has any part of the sound spectrum other than bass without some sort of spike or a complete lack of upper mids or treble, so this is forgivable, especially when you consider the severity of some treble spikes on other similarly priced IEMs.

Instruments generally sound fairly clear and coherent, probably as good if not better than most IEMs in its class, especially after some EQing, but I’ll touch on that later. Generally, most instruments have a good balance between being detailed without being harsh.

Male vocalists have a nice tonality with plenty of body that never makes them sound thin or unimpressive. Female vocalists on the other hand sound relatively soft and ever so slightly veiled. Some female vocalists, especially those with higher pitched voices, can be affected by the aforementioned spike, though generally it’s pretty minimal.

Treble: I am personally think the treble good on the MA750s, especially again considering its price. Most of the other “basshead” IEMs I’ve heard (Pretty much anything that had any bass response even remotely above neutral) have either completely lacked treble, or had way too much of it. In the case of the MA750, there seems to be a bit of a downward tilt with the treble, though not as bad as similar IEMs I’ve heard, such as the DUNU DN-23, Sony MH1C, and Monoprice 8320. The treble is mostly free from harshness or sibilance, but lacks a bit of treble extension for my tastes. Those who prefer a slightly darker presentation will quite like the treble presentation of the MA750. Once you apply a bit of EQ, the treble really shines.

Soundstage: The soundstage on the MA750s is impressive. I didn’t think it was possible with a bass-tuned IEM, but the soundstage is actually fairly open sounding. No, it will not sound as open as open-backed headphones, but for IEMs at this price point, the soundstage is really good. Better than any of the aforementioned bass-tuned IEMs I’ve heard in the past.

Tip Rolling: I liked the stock tips that came with the MA750, but in the end I preferred tips with a slightly wider nozzle opening, as this almost entirely negated the spike I mentioned earlier. I don’t know where they came from, but I had a pair of bi-flange tips laying around that had a slightly wider bore size and fit the MA750 like a glove.

In conclusion, the MA750 is a great IEM overall for $120. I don’t have a lot of experience with the ~$120 IEM market, but if one of my friends was looking to buy a pair of IEMs in the price range, I would steer them towards the RHAs. They have a great consumer oriented sound that doesn’t do very much wrong and will be appealing to most folks, especially the “beats” generation looking to get something better and cheaper.

Pros: aluminium design Made in Europe nice packaging

Cons: averything is wrong sound balance is no bass plenty of harsh treble

This is the worse purchase i did in audio ever.

RHA should be ashamed releasing such a poor quality product.

And the audio press should be ashamed not to mention this is well below average ...

I think I will not even give it away just throw in the WC where it should never have come out.

Doesn't deserve to say more.

And do not hope that anything can better it. no tweaks , no burn-in, no hope.

ABSOLUTE ZERO

Pros: Great isolation, comfortable warm sound, solid build, premium feel, fantastic service.

Cons: Metal body might take time to get used to (not really a con)

First of all, fantastic sound. Not necessarily *non-biased*, but possesses smooth highs, fantastically defined mids, and rich, powerful, yet completely not overwhelming bass. I accidentally broke my pair(which is completely my fault) and I sent them an email about it, and they sent me a replacement that is brand new. If you're new to hifi, and want a pair of versatile in-ears, these are definitely not letting you down.

Pros: Great soundstage,Isolation,Build quality,Detailed and lush sound

Cons: Slightly heavy,Stock tips,Lacks details in mids

Preamble:

RHA is a Scottish brand that has been around for a few years.The MA750s that I'm reviewing today has been bought by me for around 120$.I'm in no way affiliated to RHA,I just want to share my honest opinion.Here's the official website for this IEM - https://www.rha-audio.com/sg/headphones/ma750.html

About me:

I'm a bachelor.Honestly I don't know much about the sonic technicalities though I can distinguish between different frequencies.I rely on my ears.This whole head-fi thing is new to me(and growing).I prefer rock,country and indie pop.I like neutral to warmish sound.I'm a newbie so I'd request you to consider other reviews as well.

Specifications:

Drivers

Handmade Dynamic (model 560.1)

Frequency range

1.35m, reinforced, OFC

Connections

3.5mm, gold plated

Packaging and Accessories:

The MA750s are packed with great care in a premium box having a magnetic flap.The packaging makes you feel the premiumness of the product aesthetically.It looks so stunning.Even the tip holder is made of metal.These looks so sexy.Included were the 2 pairs of comply premium foam ear tips,3 pairs of silicon ear tips and 2 pairs of double flange ear tips.One carrying case and a clothing clip is also there.A detailed booklet has been also provided by the RHA,which is great IMO.Overall the packaging and accessories provides premium experience.

Here are some pics from the official website:

Build Quality and Aesthetics:

The first impression out of the box was the impressive build quality of the IEMs.RHA has used stainless steel as much as possible.The housing is all made of stainless steel.Even the spliter is also made of metal.The cable is quite thick and seems very sturdy.The headphone jack is also made of metal and it is protected by strain relief.And let's not forget that whooping 3 years warrenty provided by RHA that reflects their confidence for the product.These IEMs look very sexy and enchanting.

Fit and Comfort:

Despite being heavy the MA750s are quite comfortable.Initially one might struggle for a good fit,but once you find good fit you will forget about their weight.As these IEMs are made to wear over ear maybe some may not appreciate the design,while I myself like this approach which helps in demolition of the weight.The cable is also lengthy which is a good thing.

Sound Quality:

I honestly did’nt expect much from the MA750s,it turned out that I underestimated them.These requires a long burn in IMO.I would suggest to burn them in for at least 50 hours.The sound tonalty of MA750s is detailed having emphasis on the highs.The overall spectrum seems to be on the neautral side.

Lows:

The upper bass on the MA750s is detailed and punchy along with spaciousness.While the mid bass and the sub bass lacks the depth and the extension.The sub bass lacks the punchiness.Overall the lows have good resolution.The lows do not seem to be interfereing with the mids in any way.For the price I think the performance of lows is great.

Mids:

Mids are quite detailed and full of energy.No sibilance is noted.Mids have a full body and are articulate.The vocals lacks the definition and seems dull.Mids are less forward in comparision to other spectrum.Mids definitely lacks the naturalness of the sound.I personally believe the mids could be better on these IEMs.Though considering the price the quality of mids is good and acceptable.

Highs:

Excellent!!! The highs on these are full of lush and energy.The highs are speedy and edgy,but they are not piercing.Highs have a good texture and definition.It represents spaciousness in the overall sound spectrum.Honestly the highs on these punches way above their price.Bravo RHA!!

Soundstage and Seperation:

If you carve for wide soundstage and good imaging in IEMs,these IEMs will surely satisfy your need.They have enough depth as well as wildth.The instrunemts sounds well articulated and have natural texture.IMO the soundstage and separation is excellent for this price range.

Isolation:

The isolation with the stock tips is average.The comply foam tips are must in order to achieve a good seal and proper isolation.After achieving a good seal you can simply forget everything else and focus on the music.

Comparison:

I won’t be able to compare these to my other IEMs due to my study and hence I won’t be able to justify such comparison.Sorry for the same.However if anyone’s interested for comparison against MDR XB90EX,Shozy Zero,VE Monk+,MDR XB70AP he can pm me for the same.

Conclusion:

The RHA MA750 was released back in 2013,though they are excellent value for money if you want engaging sounstage,excellent highs and lush sound.The MA750s let you experience the natural spectrum of the sound.If you’re new to the head-fi journey and want to experience the neutral sound along with a touch of fun the RHA MA750 is the perfect choice.In brief you can’t go wrong with these IEMs due to its lush and energetic sound.

Pros: Excelent build quality, relatively flat sound signature, spacious sound stage

Cons: Cable has too much body, mild plastic color distortion, can be finicky to get the right fit

It’s not often I have the absolute pleasure of listening to headphones such as the MA750i. It’s been more than a year since I’ve gotten my Macaw GT100s, and several months since I’ve lost them. I’ve yearned for a sound similar to them, and the MA750i delivers in a spectacular way. Not only are the MA750i more comfortable and lighter than the GT100s, they also sound much, much better, while retaining a similar overall sound signature.

I have a thing for British headphone makers, as the Brits have something special in store for me every time I check back with them. RHA is no exception. However, unlike the rest of the crowd, RHA puts a tremendous focus on the engineering aspect of building headphones — and it shows.

You can buy the MA750i for $130 from the official US RHA store page here.

Disclaimer: This review is based upon a sample unit provided to me by a manufacturer in exchange for my honest opinion and un-edited words. I do not profit in any way from the writing of the review. I would like to thank Marina at RHA for providing me with a review unit of the MA750i.

Preference and Bias: Before reading a review, it is worth mentioning that there is no way for a reviewer to objectively pass judgment on the enjoy-ability of a product: such a thing is inherently subjective. Therefore, I find it necessary for you to read and understand what I take a natural liking to and how that might affect my rating of a product.

My ideal sound signature would be an extended sub-bass with a leveled, but textured, bass. The mids should be slightly less pronounced than the treble, but still ahead of the bass. I prefer a more bright upper range.

Source: The MA750i was powered off of a Nexus 6P -> Creative Sound Blaster E3. All music was served as FLAC, ALAC, or as 320Kbps Mp3. I found the standard DAC/Amp inside my phone and PC to be inadequate to drive the MA750i at its peak levels of performance.

Sound Signature

Treble: Songs used: Supermassive Black HoleAriseFade Into Darkness

When listening to the MA750i, the first thing I noticed was the energetic treble. It’s unlike anything I’ve tested so far, and is better than the titanium driver-clad GT100s. Furthermore, both treble response and detail is better in the MA750i than the blue-filter Gemini HD.

Supermassive Black Hole felt incredibly complete and coherent, as much of the instrumentation Muse uses regularly crosses from the mids to the treble — something that causes detail to be lost in less capable IEMs.

The high-hats of Arise remained clear throughout the entire song, and were spaced well. Each one had a clear beginning and end, and had excellent transient response. The timbre of the instruments represented in the treble is overall very good.

While not a song I listed as “using” for treble, I find it worth mentioning how sweet the treble of The Drift was. It’s tonal qualities are represented drastically different way from my other headphones, which have usually lent a softer, and sometimes harsher, sound.

Treble is generally tied with the upper mids for the most “forward” frequency range.

Mids: Songs used: The DriftJarsIn Bloom

The mids in The Drift were phenomenal. This is owed to the MA750i’s relatively flat frequency response. The piano sounds natural. Far more so than with other IEMs I’ve tested, barring the M50x which performs about the same on this song.

The guitars of Jars became alive, and were raw in their deliverance. There is so much precision, you can hear the picking of the strings clearly through the upper-left channel. Vocals were fantastic. You can hear the strain of Pete Loeffler’s voice, and even detect a slight slur in his pronunciation. The clear mids really help provide a good amount of transparency to the overall sound signature.

Bass: Songs used: LightsBangarang99 Problems (Hugo Cover)

I find bass to be a tad too dry. Lights has the potential for some really nice bass accentuation, but remained rather surfacey.

Bangarang is much more tight than I’ve heard it before, which is not necessarily a bad thing. It opens up the song to become more than just its bass response, making it much more enjoyable overall.

99 Problems had an impact (or the lack thereof) issue. While the detail was there, it didn’t reach far down enough into the bass for me. Some light EQing was able to handily fix that.

Male Vocals: Song used: Hotel CaliforniaAshes of EdenSunday Bloody Sunday

Male voices resolve pretty well over the MA750i. I found Hotel California to perform well, with Glen Frey’s voice sounding fuller than usual. Ashes of Eden’s vocals were a tad too dark, but otherwise detailed and clear. Sunday Bloody Sunday’s lyrics were airy and light, and meshed well with the song.

Female Vocals: Songs used: Stupid GirlSweet EscapeNeed Your Heart

Female vocals can come off too softly. Stupid Girl was particularly subject to the softening, while Need Your Heart was virtually unaffected. Sweet Escape was in the middle, but still noticeably softer than I remember it being on the GT100s and M50x. However, for every song I tested that sounded too soft, I found two more that sounded just right. Therefore, I can conclude that the fault lies not with the drivers themselves, but the various compression formats and mixing styles of different producers.

Sound Stage

Sound staging is among the best I’ve every heard from an IEM. There is an airy width to the stage, along with a large amount of height, and a moderate amount of depth. It’s the first true “3D space” I’ve heard through headphones. As such, I’m not sure how it compares to other IEM giants, but can assure the layman that it is beyond anything you can casually pick up at Best Buy or Target.

Packaging and Unboxing

Build

Construction Quality

Construction quality is top notch. Much of the build is machined from stainless steel. The driver housings are light, smooth, and cool to the touch. I find them to also be very, very hard, and not prone to scratching.

The cable is solid feeling and textured well. However, in my brief period with the MA750i, I’ve noticed the cable tends to hold its shape too well, leading it to become unruly. Relatedly, bending the cable at anything further than a shallow angle can cause some distortion in the plastic’s color, creating some white spots.

Engineering quality is RHA’s specialty, and they really leave it all on the table when designing the stress relief systems of their cables. The 3.5mm jack’s connection housing is stainless steel, and has a rubber-sheath that extends onto the cable and is covered by a strong and appropriately taught spring. The spring helps negate a lot of the arbitrary bending force applied to the cable throughout the day, while not getting in the way. I like the implementation.

The inline controls are also built well. Made from a single unit of machined stainless steel and a soft-touch plastic covering, the MA750i’s Apple inline controls feel and look great. The buttons are sturdy, and have the right amount of give. The cable is reinforced at the points where the it meets the controls’ housing, something many IEMs oddly omit. Microphonics ,while not completely eliminated, are so faint that they are easily ignored when listening on the go.

Comfort is always a tricky subject, but is more so on over-ear IEMs. Since everyone’s ears are shaped differently, I cannot guarantee that my words here will apply when you try on the MA750i.

I am using the MA750i with the included Comply tips. This means that in addition to fitting the ear hooks, I also have to compress the foam and press it into my ear, making for a rather tedious 3-step process. However, the reward is well worth the effort. The ear hooks completely disperse any pull gravity has on the headphones, letting the Comply ear tips make the MA750i “disappear” into my ear. So while the MA750i has the potential to be verycomfortable, there is a learning curve to getting them to sit correctly in, and on, your ear.

Sound Isolation

Sound isolation is okay. I generally expect more from IEMs that share the MA750i’s form factor, and am slightly disappointed. I could still (barely) hear a snap through my music at moderate levels. However, the MA750i brilliantly blocks out the sound of my mechanical keyboard, and the sound of those around me.

Inline Controls / Mic

I’ll never approve of anything less than the inclusion of universal controls on IEMs of this price range. Unfortunately, RHA decided to go the Apple only route, leaving the majority of people who own a smartphone without any volume or rich control functionality. But yes, play/pause and fast-forward functions do indeed work with Android and Windows Phone devices.

The mic sounds pretty good, and is the best among those I’ve tested so far. I sound clear on the other line when making a phone call, and playing back voice recordings taken over the mic results in a rather clear playback.

Accessories

The MA750i comes well stocked with extra earbuds, all of which I found to be high-quality. I especially appreciate the inclusion of two sets of Comply ear tips. The leatherette carrying case is very premium-feeling, and is sturdy enough to give me the confidence to throw this case into my backpack without the headphones suffering any complications.

Summary

The MA750i provides a premium feel, a premium look, and a premium sound. The flat sound signature is not for those seeking jaw-breaking bass, and will be much more satisfying for treble heads and audio purists. If you don’t want to deal with the learning curve of getting the right fit for the MA750i, then you may want to look elsewhere. For everyone else, I highly recommend these IEMs.

RHA MA750i

RHA MA750i noise isolating premium in ear headphone (with remote and microphone)Handmade dynamic drivers, machined stainless steel and a premium oxygen free copper cable; The MA750i epitomises quality and performance. Using RHA's aerophonic design, 560.1 drivers and a secure over ear fit, the MA750i excels in sound reproduction and a comfortable, noise isolating fit. Sound signature: Precise, balanced and articulate sound reproduction with a great depth of soundstage. 3 year warranty 303F grade stainless steel construction Handmade dynamic driver for clear, natural sound reproduction Reinforced, 1.35m oxygen free cable Signature aerophonic design 10 sets of dual density, silicone and memory foam ear tips 3 button in line remote with 360 Degree mic. What's in the box. RHA MA750i premium noise isolating in ear headphone with remote and microphone Premium carry case 10 sets of dual density, silicone and memory foam ear tips Patent pending stainless steel ear tip holder User guide

BindingElectronics
BrandRHA
EAN5060212270542
Feature3 year warranty 303F grade stainless steel construction Handmade dynamic driver for clear, natural sound reproduction Reinforced, 1.35m oxygen-free cable 10 sets of dual density, silicone and memory foam ear tips
LabelRHA
ManufacturerRHA
ModelMA750i
MPNMA750i
PublisherRHA
StudioRHA
TitleRHA MA750i Noise Isolating Premium In-Ear Headphone with Remote and Microphone - 3 Year Warranty
Warranty3 year manufacturer's warranty