Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › RHA MA750i

RHA MA750i

Rated #30 in Universal Fit

Pros: Soundstage, detailing, clean bass, separation, comfort once you get used to it, accessories, build quality, customer support.

Cons: Bad recordings don't sound great, comfort in the beginning, some QC in regards to package cleanliness.

This is my first review on Head-Fi, so forgive me for my trip ups and lack of jargon, as I simply do not have the knowledge or experience to accurately describe everything I hear and feel.

That being said, I deliberated over my purchase of these IEM's for quite a while. For a few months, I had a toss-up between the GR07 BE, Sennheiser CX985, Rock-It R50 and RHA MA-750i. Any one of these purchases would be my 'step' into new territory: triple-digits audio gear.

Before I go any further, I'll describe my previous collection, to provide a little context to the rest of the review. Almost 2 years ago, I was running a pair of MH1's, which I bought when my original Sony Ericsson IEM's were lost. At that point, sound quality was the least of my concern: I just needed a mic and something to hear music with, and most importantly, wasn't expensive. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the MH1's were actually not bad at all, and was raved by many Head-Fier's, as it would seem.

A year later, I bought a new laptop, and since I needed to do quite a lot of Skyping on it, I intended to use my MH1's. To my disappointment, the connectors weren't compatible, so I went out and deliberated over another set of earphones. My eye caught on the Ultimate Ears 500vm, which in addition to having support for my phone (due to an included adapter), also worked with my laptop. My opinion on the 500's were a bit more mixed compared to the MH1: bass was weak-ish for my taste, and it was somewhat hard to drive. Nonetheless, its excellent isolation was incredibly favourable to my daily routine of public transport, so it wasn't a total loss.

When I had a bit more money, I finally decided that I would properly venture into the territory of high-end audio, but baby steps first, I thought. These RHA's, I had hope, would be a successful first step. I would not be wrong.

Packaging

I don't think I need to go over the packaging in too much detail: countless other reviewers have taken pictures of the packaging, and it is indeed excellent. One problem, however, was pinching from packaging, which somewhat left marks that, thankfully, fade away in time. In addition, some of the tips I got were dirty, and the tip holder was mildly scratched. I was a bit annoyed, but it's not a deal-breaker, considering that everything else was nicely preserved.

Build Quality

One reason why I chose the MA750i's over the others was its apparent build quality. In one word, it's a tank. Cables are as thick as some headphones I've seen, and most impressively the spring on the ends of the connector which act as a strain relief. It works, a little too well at times, but I'll rather have inconvenience than the earphones breaking any day of the week.

Accessories

The MA750i's came with 10 pairs of tips: single-flanged SML, double-flanged SL and 2 foamies. Of the silicone tips, only the largest of each fit me, and the foamies were unbearably painful for the first few days, in which they softened enough to not destroy my ears.

In addition, the MA750i's also came with a shirt clip (hint: don't hook it to the main cable) which has a 360* swivel on it, and a soft pouch. The soft pouch was a bit underwhelming, but since, in my experience, most earphones break through snagging and not crushing, it's suitable enough. From my personal experience, I would not hold the tip holder in the pouch: the headphones actually scratched the tip holder quite a bit until I realised. Again, this is my vanity sneaking in, so it's not that big of a deal.

I won't lie: these IEM's are heavy. How heavy? Well, when I was turning my head quickly, the IEM's which were hanging off my ear (since I was talking to someone) flew off them and hit my mate's glasses with enough force it knocked them from his head.

That being said, the over-ear design works, to an extent. Since I have don't have large ears, the curve doesn't hook onto my ear perfectly: I compensated by pulling the hook taut then holding them in place with my glasses. Once done, it's incredibly comfy.

That being said, it takes quite a bit of getting used to in the beginning. I thought they were exceedingly painful at first, and it's only after a few days which they became comfy. A word of warning, though: in winter, especially for those living in below-zero (Celcius) temperatures, the housing is freezing, since it's steel. Warm them up in your hand first or else your ears will want to kill you.

Sound Quality

This is probably the area where I can either agree with some people here, or piss them off, so I'll try to be compromising here.

Compared to my MH1's and UE500's, the sound quality was initially bland. I was actually a bit bummed at first, noting how the mids were a bit too overbearing, and the bass did not have a certain 'punch' to it. In addition, the IEM's were either bloody painful or too loose: I opted with bloody painful. Over a few days, however, I gave my MA750i's a chance, and here's where things get interesting. I have no idea if it's my ear getting un-stretched back to its normal size (since my UE500's have quite a deep insertion), my brain got attuned to the earphones or it got burned in, but the MA750i's over time actually became decent.

I listen to a wide variety of music. If anything, I listen to everything besides house music (which is, IMO, a bit of a stretch to classify as 'music' more than 'noise'). The great thing about these is that, while it's not particularly excellent for one genre, it's great for all genres.

For pop music, vocals can shine without being too harsh or sibilant. Female vocals are particularly intimate with these: I am particularly fond of listening to Celtic Woman through these, as the MA750i's can accomplish both intimacy of the solo vocals and exuberance of the accompanying orchestra at the same time.

Classical music is probably my favorite with these: with decent, modern recordings, soundstage and separation is excellent. Piano solos sound decent, no obvious highs poking out anywhere, but orchestral music is where it truly shines for me: the soundstage can be shown off through this. Beethoven's 9th Symphony is particularly impressive on these, with the vocals in the 4th movement synergising well with the sheer energy of the orchestra.

Soundtracks are much the same story with classical: excellent soundstage and separation. More synth-based soundtracks, such as Mass Effect 3's, can show off the MA750's control of bass.

Hip-hop/rap is probably the weakest genre for the MA750i's: not saying they are bad, but they lack the other strengths the other genres display. However, hip-hop/rap does exhibit a quality of the MA750i's: its ability to control bass without feeling like a truck ran over you, and spilling over to the vocals.

The low-mids are one area which, I've realised over time, I don't like quite that much, so a simple EQ fix bumping down the 125 Hz range was more or less the only EQ I did, besides a little bass boost (coz I happen to like more bass :) )

Conclusion

With a few exceptions, the majority of my friends spend ~$20 on their head gear maximum, with some going a bit more for earPods. When they realise how much my MA750i's cost, there first question, usually following their prompts of 'WTF', is, 'why did you spend that much?' In the beginning, I thought this is the same question as asking why your handbag costs more than my phone, or why your phone costs more than double mine. In other words, if you asked me before I bought these, I would not have known the answer.

Now, I think I do.

Pros: Great bass, nice accessory set

Cons: Slight treble harshness with stock tips

First off, I would like to thank RHA for providing @C.C.S.. and I with review sets. I would also like to thank C.C.S. for nominating me for the review sample.

Gear used for review:

PC → Project H (Custom Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC and O2 with OPA2134 opamps)

iPod Classic → Silver LOD → Fiio E07k

Galaxy Nexus

Nexus 4

Inside the box:

The box looks very nice and professional overall:

Inside the box, you get a great set of accessories. There are six sets of single flange silicone tips and three sets of bi-flange tips, all included on a nifty metal card that helps you keep track of all the tips:

There is also a nice semi-hard case that has space to put the tip card in, as well as the IEMs themselves:

The cable on the MA750s is relatively thick without feeling too bulky. It feels like it won't be tearing anytime soon. The length is pretty standard for most IEMs. For me, this means they're a touch too short. However, I am 6'6” or roughly 198cm tall, so this shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Even though the MA750s are meant to be worn over the ear, there is still a small amount of microphonics from the cable if you do not use the cable cinch at the Y-split to keep the cable from flopping around against your neck while walking. Once you properly adjust the cable cinch though, microphonics are almost nonexistent.

The strain relief on the connector and the IEMs themselves is excellent.

The Y-split seems well built just like the connector. The strain relief for the Y-split is relatively short on both sides, but it feels adequate enough.

While I generally dislike ear guides, I really like the ear guides on the MA750s. The ear guides are not removable on the MA750; they are built into the cable and if someone would try to remove them, they would probably end up with bare wires. This is fine by me though, because unlike a lot of the ear guides that you can snap on with lower end IEMs, or those included in higher end CIEM cables that have very little give to them, the MA750 ear guides have enough flex in them that the weight of the cable will pull the ear guides down and contour to your ears. They seem more like a subtle hint that you should wear the MA750s with the cable over your ear than a potential obtrusion.

The build quality of the IEMs themselves is top notch. The aluminum shells both look and feel classy and durable.

Isolation is also fairly good on the MA750s. Once you get a good, deep seal (preferably with multi-flange tips), these do drown out most of the background noise, even when I have the volume low (which I usually do to try and avoid hearing loss). They still lag behind balanced armature sets I’ve had, but like most dynamic driver IEMs, the MA750s have a port that allows the dynamic driver to move air, limiting the maximum isolation possible.

Now that I've covered the most of the other stuff about the MA750, let's get to the sound, shall we?

Bass: The bass on the MA750 definitely north of neutral, but not overbearingly so. There is a good punch for most modern recordings, that still sounds coherent with bass guitars and things that aren’t meant to go boom. It occasionally bleeds into the lower midrange, but nothing too severe. I think the quantity is perfect for on-the-go listening. The quality is impressive. Bass guitars never sound muddy and are almost always discernable from the rest of the mix.

Mids: The midrange is, for the most part, balanced nicely in between the bass and the treble, except for a small spike and/or ringing in the upper midrange at approximately 5 kHz. This also adds a bit more detail to the overall sound spectrum though, and there are worse places to have a spike. For the price, you probably can’t find anything that has any part of the sound spectrum other than bass without some sort of spike or a complete lack of upper mids or treble, so this is forgivable, especially when you consider the severity of some treble spikes on other similarly priced IEMs.

Instruments generally sound fairly clear and coherent, probably as good if not better than most IEMs in its class, especially after some EQing, but I’ll touch on that later. Generally, most instruments have a good balance between being detailed without being harsh.

Male vocalists have a nice tonality with plenty of body that never makes them sound thin or unimpressive. Female vocalists on the other hand sound relatively soft and ever so slightly veiled. Some female vocalists, especially those with higher pitched voices, can be affected by the aforementioned spike, though generally it’s pretty minimal.

Treble: I am personally think the treble good on the MA750s, especially again considering its price. Most of the other “basshead” IEMs I’ve heard (Pretty much anything that had any bass response even remotely above neutral) have either completely lacked treble, or had way too much of it. In the case of the MA750, there seems to be a bit of a downward tilt with the treble, though not as bad as similar IEMs I’ve heard, such as the DUNU DN-23, Sony MH1C, and Monoprice 8320. The treble is mostly free from harshness or sibilance, but lacks a bit of treble extension for my tastes. Those who prefer a slightly darker presentation will quite like the treble presentation of the MA750. Once you apply a bit of EQ, the treble really shines.

Soundstage: The soundstage on the MA750s is impressive. I didn’t think it was possible with a bass-tuned IEM, but the soundstage is actually fairly open sounding. No, it will not sound as open as open-backed headphones, but for IEMs at this price point, the soundstage is really good. Better than any of the aforementioned bass-tuned IEMs I’ve heard in the past.

Tip Rolling: I liked the stock tips that came with the MA750, but in the end I preferred tips with a slightly wider nozzle opening, as this almost entirely negated the spike I mentioned earlier. I don’t know where they came from, but I had a pair of bi-flange tips laying around that had a slightly wider bore size and fit the MA750 like a glove.

In conclusion, the MA750 is a great IEM overall for $120. I don’t have a lot of experience with the ~$120 IEM market, but if one of my friends was looking to buy a pair of IEMs in the price range, I would steer them towards the RHAs. They have a great consumer oriented sound that doesn’t do very much wrong and will be appealing to most folks, especially the “beats” generation looking to get something better and cheaper.

Pros: Solid Build Quality. amazing choice of tips. long cable.

Cons: sound on iphone is terrible.

I bought these on the recommendation of the many reviews on this site and amazon. I purchased it in the apple store and have owned them now for almost 2 years.And frankly am disappointed.

Myhouse growing up was an audiophile's dream. MAny rooms with very high end systems. My Folks are audiophiles, I appreciate good sound but live in an old appartment and can't enjoy.

Davis and BW speakers are my favourite. I like sound that is rich.

And these headphones sound awful on the iphone. They do sound a little better on my microsoft surface which is of a higher resistance and power.

This is going to shock a few headfiers, but honestly the $35 apple earpod's sound KILL these. Like no contest. Now if only they would fit well like the RHA's which are a little heavy but ergonomically great.

I should point that 6 months in I had a few problems and RHA replaced them with a new pair. Their service is impecable. as is their build quality. But when I sit on my balcony with a rhum and coke and want to enjoy some pop, classical or rock or even hip hop I reach for Earphods or Grado sr80;s.

Pros: Build quality.Attention to detail.Aesthetics.Accessories.Sound balance.Price.

Cons: Deeper tip insertion required.Audio control buttons need to be more responsive.Case should be rigid.

I had to finally put my Shure E4Cs to rest and have been on the search for months to find a replacement.

I like sub bass and a balanced sound and value build quality. My Shures were built tough but they lacked top end and a little weak on bass. They also had no player control or mic.

I've never had to deeply insert tips with headphones due to the shape of my ear canals so when I got the MA750's I took the same approach.

I went through the range of tips 4 or 5 times trying to find a set that would work. None did - I got the typical issues caused by lack of fit.

No bass and lots of uncontrolled highs - really unpleasant.

I was ready to send them back despite being very impressed with the build quality and design.

I spoke to the supplier about returning them and they suggested one more effort with the small double flange tips suggesting I do the ear lift and insert technique to get them deeper.

WOW - what a difference.

Tremendous range, tight bass and good sub bass on my bass test tracks. Middle slightly pulled back which I like and sweet highs with none of the high distortion I was getting.

They are so quick to use now, very comfortable and can't fault the sound.

The minor issues I have with them apart from the deeper tip insertion below - mostly for RHA's interest .....

The audio control buttons need to have a better click feel. They are responsive but could have a better click feel to them.

The neck cinch needs to be above the audio control unit (can't cinch up tight to neck).

The case needs to be more rigid and have a spacer in it to offer crush protection.

Not sure the jack 'spring' device used for strain relief  is necessary, already seeing some separation on the coils.

The shirt clip will eventually damage the cord - I've seen better ways to attach the clip than used by the MA750s.

The single tip silicon ear buds are damn hard to get on but the double flange ones are too easy and have come off once or twice in ear.

The internal plastic packaging really lets them down and in fact, the plastic used to wrap the cables had damaged the cables slightly due to sharp edges of the plastic.

Pros: Build quality, comfort with sony tips, bass clarity, rich sound, great soundstage

Cons: low highs are harsh - makes a lot of music unplesant

So everything with this IEM is just perfect except the low highs. For me, it is so harsh, like a very cheap IEM. I'm very sensitive about this.

I listen classical, jazz, chill out, breakbeat, progressive house. It is pretty hard to find IEMs which satisfying my needs.

I need exceptional bass quality, warm sound signature, great soundstage. Unfortunately this is not like this. Even the t10i has this problem with the highs, but a little better.

After few hours of listening, it became a little better, but I decided to send it back. (I also tried later in a shop with a more used one, but it is the same annoying low highs)

Instead, I bought a Yamaha eph-100, which doesn't as good as the RHA MA750i in the other things, but the sound signature is perfect, and it seems that is the most important for me.

I used an old Sony MH750's tip. All the other tips are useless for me which came with the RHA.

I hope RHA can fix this problem later, because I really liked everything else.

Pros: Bass is just right, great clarity, comfortable fit, media buttons work well, attractive design, excellent build quality, good tip selection,

Cons: Comply foam tips not included, upper mids a bit lacking,

Recently went about trying to find myself an IEM that I liked the sound of and tested out both the Shure SE215 & sennheiser momentum in ear before getting the RHA's. IMO the momentum was too bass heavy, the shure sounded quite good but doesnt look as nice, is more difficult to put on, less comfortable, and can be more sibilant when you push it to higher volumes. The RHA's are exactly what I wanted in an IEM and sound fairly balanced with a bit of a lean towards the bassy end of the scale depending on your choice of ear tip.

The slight increase in price of these over the 215's is worth it in my eyes because of the shures downfalls I listed above. If you are looking for an IEM in this price range I think its going to be very hard to beat these. These steel buds are definitely a steal. 9/10

*Note: Price is in CAD

Pros: Build quality is astonishing. Tons of accessories. Great warm sound. Overall clarity. Bass Extension.

Cons: Mid-bass\low-mid detail. Cable may be cumbersome.

Gosh, I love these headphones. I bought them after my Xiaomi Piston 2.0 broke, and I have to say, these are a considerable improvement in every department. Now let's get to the review :D

Build Quality - The feeling you get when you hold these and gaze upon their majesty is something to behold. The stainless steel construction makes these super heavy. These things just look so elegant. Another review called these the Aston Martin of IEM's, and I wholeheartedly agree. From the jack all the way to the buds, all they do is scream quality. Bravo to the designers over at RHA. 5/5

Accessories - Oh boy, you get a lot of them. First up is the case. I'm not sure if it's real leather, but I doubt it is. Nevertheless, it's super soft feeling and looks really nice. One complaint, though: It's a little bit big. The darned thing is easily visible in my pocket, and it takes up so much room I can barely squeeze my wallet in with it. And then we have the extra tips. You get 2 pairs of small ones, 2 pairs of mediums, 2 pairs of large ones, a pair of small bi-flanges, a medium pair of bi-flanges, and 2 pairs of foamies. And they all come in a super cool stainless steel (probably) plate. Everything is so gorgeous. 5/5

Sound - This is my favorite part. Let's start with the bass. The bass extends so frickin' low. The sub-bass is absolutely superb. The bass notes in Daft Punk's "Doin' It Right" are so clear and powerful. The bass is very well textured and is tight (although, not the tightest). These are definitely a bass oriented headphones. The mid-bass is where thing start to get a little messy. Just a little bit though. The details in this area are somewhat overshadowed by the bass power, leaving the impression of a somewhat veiled midrange. No to worry. The mids are still excellent. They are a little recessed, but the details are all there. Thom Yorke's voice in Radiohead's "Life In a Glasshouse" is so perfect. The timbre in his voice comes through very well, and the tiny variations in his voice are evident. The horns punch through with impressive clarity and spaciousness. The sound of the reed of the clarinet can be heard with ease. The bass line rolls along with strident confidence, and not for a second does it feel disconnected or out of balance. The treble feels laid back at times, yet somehow it can feel very bright as well. It is very forgiving and is never harsh, to me. treble extension is decent, and overall it is very nuanced and blends in perfectly with the rest of the sound. Surprisingly, these bad boys play well with heavy metal. No matter how fast August Burns Red's drummer Matt Greiner bangs on the double bass drums, the MA750 will play it with ease. The separation on these cans is magnificent. 4.5/5

Comfort - After sorting through the myriad of tips, I found the foam ones played best with my large ears. The 'phones wrap around the top of the ear, which may be a problem for some folks. I wear glasses, and it never bothers me. One complaint about wearing these: when walking with them in with my phone in my pocket, they pick up the static electricity and sometimes zap my ears. It's quite a strange phenomenon, actually. But not at all a pleasant one. 4/5

Pros: Unbeatable Build Quality, Beautiful Design, Comfort, Isolation, Instruments, Imaging, Timbre and overall Sound Singature

Cons: Cable might not be so friendly for some

Full review here:

The overall signature is of a very, very wide U-shaped form, with equal and excellent extension on both ends. The bass is very special and takes a really different form than the MA350, RHA entry-fi previous model, and many other mid-fi earphones that the MA750 compete against. Instead of focusing on a strong and thick mid-bass centered low-end, the MA750 offer a flatter response at the mid-bass section. It's still rather strong as dynamic drivers can get, but doesn't show a certain lift or peak. On the other hand, what the MA750 really have is an impressive sub-bass response, with definitely more emphasis than the rest of the bass making it a more refined and less tiring earphone. As such, the bass is deep with a very good rumble quality, well bodied and layered, and yet fairly quick with a natural sense of decay. Not a bass cannon by any means but capable of showing more than enough power when needed. Both the Dunu DN-1000 and Brainwavz S5 have a much mid-bassy signature what might be more 'fun' for some, but this RHA set is more refined and better controlled over those ones.

The midrange of the MA750 is something unique. Neither forward nor recessed, but pretty much neutral in position. It's very clear and open, carrying a fair sense of warmth yet clean of bass bleed, though it does need some period of burn-in to bloom and achieve a perfect weight and dynamics. Even though it's already very impressive from the first listening sessions, personally I found that it took about 200 hrs to settle down and finally show the real strengths. The midrange it's not only well balanced with the lows and highs, but also intelligibly textured and bodied for excellent instrumental and vocal performance. Overall midrange clarity is at least on par with the RE-400, though both single dynamic models differ in flavor; the RE-400 giving higher priority to more forward, effortless and sweeter vocals, while the MA750 is emphasizing instruments a bit more and a bit drier in the vocals dept.

Treble is pretty much a mirror to the bass response. Transition from upper mids to lower highs is very smooth and main treble is relatively flat, or at least doesn't show certain peaks. What the MA750 really have is a stronger emphasis at the upper treble region for better extension and wider stage. With the stock single tips, the MA750 could classify among brighter IEMs; not a 'hot' treble set but yes a sharp one. The R-50M, DN-1000, Altone200, or even the DN-2000, all TWFK dual BA based phones, are expectedly hotter on the mid-treble, more tiring, and probably more prone to sibilance (with exception to the DN-2000 which is surprisingly smooth for a TWFK hybrid phone). The RHA MA750 are not lazy either, but are just more focused at the upper treble. Overall micro-detail is very good, though not as microscopic-detailed as the above BA variants, but really well done for the asking price and higher. Instead of being frontal and analytical, details come in a more dynamic way which requires some time to truly appreciate them.

So far so good, and this RHA model excels in every region. And yet, where I find the MA750 really shine is in stage and instruments, and especially in timbre. Soundstage is rather big and very spacious as usually proud good dynamic drivers IEMs can get. It's wide with equal sense of height and depth, giving a very good 3D surrounding effect. The MA750 sound is bigger than the Altone200 and R-50M but not as huge as the Dunu DN-1000, not to mention the enormous sounding DN-2000 with their much out-of-the-head sound. Actually it could be similar to a balanced well driven Hifiman RE-600. Instruments are way awesome, both in separation and quality. They have the detail, the texture and the weight, and also a very natural decay and right timing. Be it drums, strings, horns or cymbals, all of them are presented in an engaging and immersive way.

And finally, the timbre is "perfect", and personally the best characteristic of the MA750. Not even the hybrid DN-2000 has this beautiful natural tonality, despite their higher detail; but the hybrids' disadvantages are hard to totally avoid. The only set that could really beat the MA750 in this regard is the RE-600, and only when the strong AMP-S amplifier is used (and we're talking about $600+ setup here). Still, all this comes under one condition, the eartips. I tried different tips, including the RHA self MA350 tips, and found that the MA750 stock single tips provided the best sonic results and this great timbre, tonality and imaging.

Pros: Build, package, accessories

Cons: What????

I´m not good to write something about audio stuffs and to write in english but i hope that my experience helps somebody.

For health problems with my ears, i sold all my headphone stuffs.

in my headphone experience history, i had some good amplifiers like Little-Dot MKVI and a unique and massive balanced beta-22.

I had some headphones like Grado HP-2, Sennheiser HD-800, AKG K-1000, Beyerdynamic T1, Ultrasone Edition 10, Audeze LCD-2, Hifiman He-500 and He-6, etc. etc. etc.

And i tried the famous Stax 009

Why the RHA 750i?

In first place, to use when i drive with my iphone 4s.

perfect for this use.

and, of course, to listen music.

i have in my Iphone Radio Tuna and Spotify.

Therefore a lot of music...for free!!!

Honestly, i will not describe the high, the mids and low frequencies; the separation of instruments, the headstage, etc. etc. etc.

It´s a 100€ headphone amplified by an Iphone and without hi-res music.

Well....I´m really happy with the result.

The headphone is fairly balanced with a powerful bass response.

No metallic high frequencies.

I don´t know the result with a dedicated amp/dac like the fiio alpen that i had.

But the headphone returs very well the original sound message.

In my opinion is a best dela considering the price and performances.

and RHA is an european builder.

In the middle of chinese and us products, it´s a good thing.

Cheers

Aldo

Pros: That bass (warm and round, it's a massage to my inner ear), detailed, no edges, technically fantastic, relaxing

Cons: Where have the mids/treble gone? No edges, polite, not exciting

Contrary to my intentions of reviewing these when I first got them (similar to my other reviews), I was forced to wait 2 months from their date of arrival. I've found this to be ideal, as it kept me from writing before getting to know the headphones first, especially since I was coming from a longtime close friendship with the RE0s. Here goes...

Context

2013-10-23 – Initial unboxing and first listen

For the next week, casual listening, walking through city streets, metro, bus lines, in home.

No music for 1.5 months (bricked source)

One week ago, started listening to these headphones and then brought the RE0s back out.

Equipment

Apple iPod Touch 3rd Generation unamped, no EQ adjustments

RHA750 with default singleply size small tips attached

Unboxing

As many have commented, the packaging is superb. RHA has taken the Apple elegance of the personal computer world and presented it to the personal speaker world, and yet maintained their own feel. I was somewhat obsessed with the magnet on the front cover of the box, the one that allows the opener to check out what's inside. It was just the right amount of strength to cause me to do a double-take of whether I was ripping the box or not—and then suddenly break free. Here are the contents.

Immediately upon opening I noticed some flaws in the cord, somewhat disappointing.

In addition, I dislike the cord on these phones. The rubber makes it tedious to untangle and feels weird to me. I was also disappointed when my RE0s returned to me with this type of cord the first time the cord broke. After the most recent repairs, the RE0 cord has been updated to a hard plastic shell and works well for me. At this point I thought the cablephonics must not be too nice due to the cord, and after listening to and walking with them in, I concluded the same thing.

The plethora of tips is always daunting to me because inevitably only a few will fit. I wish consumers could choose their tip sizes they want included with their phones but I understand this is unfeasible for prepackaged IEMs.

The Fit

The Over-the-ear assistors are awesome. This is something I've always wanted on my other IEMs as I normally wear them over the ear. On these it's built in, and totally worth it.

The Sound

Initially, I was awed by the bass and disappointed by the mids and trebles. After my break, I re-examined the RHA750 in a less biased light and have come to enjoy their sound more. I hear accurate renditions of how instruments sound acoustically as well as many details in songs I hadn't heard before, including reverbs, echos, and undertones. One of the aspects I like most about the RHA750 is their ability to push sound through my ears for long listening periods before me feeling fatigued; in fact, I have yet to feel fatigued from them. This is not the case with other IEMs I have. The soundstage is bigger than the RE0, getting both closer to the center of my head as well as wider than my ears.

Though the RHA750 do not have an exciting sound signature, there is nothing technically wrong imo. They are comfortably balanced, and do shine in various songs/genres as I describe in my notes below. I initially felt the mids and trebles lacking; but I realized it was due to the bias from the RE0's shimmering mids/trebles. After the month break, I rather enjoyed the natural balance of the RHA750s and clean, clear sounds from the instruments on my recordings. The RHA750s excel with ambient, post-rock, chillout, funk, piano solos, jazz, and small orchestra. I found them not exciting enough for trance, country rock, house, classic rock, or orchestral music.

The non excitingness is ultimately how I decided on 4.2 stars and the school child metaphor. The RHA750 is technically fantastic. They have a generally safe, reliable sound with no surprises, much like that school kid who did the minimum to get A's. The kid doesn't wow you, but they follow all the rules and do enough to get top marks. Except the bass. I have never heard bass from an IEM like the RHA750s do bass. Warm, round, making my inner ear smile, and perhaps bleeding a bit into the lower mids. Contrast this to the RE0 which I feel surprises me all the time and punches me in the face when appropriate. With the RE0, I want to dance. With the RHA750, I want to sit and listen.

Notes (apologies for lack of variety, as my library is inaccessible right now)

Chris Malinchak - So Good to Me (mp3 320kbps)

Low mids active and present, highs not sparkly

Arty & Mat Zo - Rebound (alac)

That bass, separated instruments, detailed. I'm intrigued how the sound seems to be coming literally from behind the center of my eyes. Then the mid and high riffs comes in, sort of. It's there but, I'm not sure it really wants to be.

James Levine Conducts Mahler 3 - Mov't VI (alac)

The inconsistencies in the recording quality show up. The orchestra is in the distance, instruments are clear, warm. The entrance of the timpani in the final 3 minute cadence doesn't make me jump, as with the RE0s.

Kenny Loggins - Return to Pooh Corner (alac)

Mr. Loggins hits his low note at about 1 minute and I hear all of it, unlike the RE0s.

Phil Vassar - Little Red Rodeo (mp3 256kbps)

Mr. Vassar's reverb, never heard that before that clear. The intro guitar riffs don't punch me like in the RE0.

Ratatat - Loud Pipes (alac)

Bass Line sounds very smooth, handles the bass effect well. More texture than RE0.

The American Dollar - The Slow Wait(1) (mp3 320kbps)

Sound signature of these earphones match this type of music well: long periods of listening, not much edgy, dance motivation. Good pure sound, clean, comfortable, relaxing.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Caravan (alac)

Is the piano really sitting beyond my left ear?! The drums perched on the outside of my right ear? Piano sounds warm.

Ne-Yo - Sexy Love (mp3 128kbps)

Bass is round, deep, and warm. Mids are right there, unlike in Rebound. Vocal balance blends well.

Pretty Lights - Out of Time (alac)

This sounds good. These are the phones I want to listen to this music on.

Mat Kearny - Hey Mama (alac)

Too much bass. Other than that, the sound is...polite.

Max Richter - Vladimir's Blues (mp3 320kbps)

Ethereal, I can literally play the air piano and this is how it would sound.

Maroon 5 - Just A Feeling (alac)

First song where I felt the headphones were really there. Details really come out, and the crash cymbals shimmer, finally.

Johnny Clegg & Savuka - I can never be what you want me to be (alac)

The title says it all. When listening with the RE0, it's exactly how I want it to be: unrestrained, mids and trebles singing.

Air - La Femme D'Argent (alac)

I feel like this is how the song is intended to sound. I can see the studio engineer sliding up the gain in the intro and sitting back to give a listen. In contrast, the intro rain has much more energy in the RE0, everything is 'harder', and I want to dance instead of chillax to the music.

RHA MA750i
By:

RHA MA750i noise isolating premium in ear headphone (with remote and microphone)Handmade dynamic drivers, machined stainless steel and a premium oxygen free copper cable; The MA750i epitomises quality and performance. Using RHA's aerophonic design, 560.1 drivers and a secure over ear fit, the MA750i excels in sound reproduction and a comfortable, noise isolating fit. Sound signature: Precise, balanced and articulate sound reproduction with a great depth of soundstage. 3 year warranty 303F grade stainless steel construction Handmade dynamic driver for clear, natural sound reproduction Reinforced, 1.35m oxygen free cable Signature aerophonic design 10 sets of dual density, silicone and memory foam ear tips 3 button in line remote with 360 Degree mic. What's in the box. RHA MA750i premium noise isolating in ear headphone with remote and microphone Premium carry case 10 sets of dual density, silicone and memory foam ear tips Patent pending stainless steel ear tip holder User guide

BindingElectronics
BrandRHA
EAN5060212270542
Feature3 year warranty 303F grade stainless steel construction Handmade dynamic driver for clear, natural sound reproduction Reinforced, 1.35m oxygen-free cable 10 sets of dual density, silicone and memory foam ear tips
LabelRHA
ManufacturerRHA
ModelMA750i
MPNMA750i
PublisherRHA
StudioRHA
TitleRHA MA750i Noise Isolating Premium In-Ear Headphone with Remote and Microphone - 3 Year Warranty
Warranty3 year manufacturer's warranty