Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Phonak PFE 012

Phonak PFE 012

Rated #129 in Universal Fit

Pros: Detailed, balanced, realistic sound, build quality

Cons: Various fit, sometimes too sharp highs, useless on freeze

First of all I rarely listen to them apart from my rig that include iPod Nano 6 and RS Audio P-51 Mustang. After years they stand the time the best from whole system - none of cable wear nor plastic damages even jack plug still has pristine gold shine. But lets get back to the beginning...

My very first impression about them during listening The Doors was that Jim sings as if my ears were a studio mic and his mouth few centimeters away. It was so intimate yet detailed like never before, it sounded exactly like voice of living person standing next to me! Even later I couldn't believe how sweet Kate Bush or Stevie Nicks can sing. THE vocals. This is definitely the ultimate strong point of Phonak's Audeo PFE 012. Unfortunately I almost didn't hear any bass. May be it's to much to say, I herd it for a few minutes before original silicone plugs change position in my ear. At that point I would rate them on 2.5 stars. Luckily I tried replacing original buds to Comply foams and this changed whole my life.

The foams solved fit problems and warmed a sound, defined a soundstage and overally improved sound quality and comfort at the same time. Bass is really deep (this mainly depends on proper fit) has both nice contour and attack and body. I would describe sound as warm but natural, only high pitch or guitar can rarely hurts. Really pleasing experience to listen to remastered The Who, Yes, The Beatles albums. They are not as incredible in electronic music but still a wild thing. And I love concept inserts like telephone talks or binaural recordings -- these ear-phones present such experiments in totally realistic manner! (Every time a telephone is going to ring on Surgeons Force+Form album I wish he wouldn't answer the phone!)

Recently I had a period when I completely stopped to use them and I started to look for full size phones. I did some sessions with entry level Beyerdynamics and Ultrasones -- non of them convinced me. I gave a try PFE's again and that was my sound I was looking for. I didn't buy full-sizes, I understood I wouldn't find anything as good in this price. Phonak discontinued them (with others phones as well) but I believe I've get the cream of the crop of entry level portable Hi-Fi.

Pros: All good

Cons: Could at least come with some kind of a case

I am one of the crazy guys with a bucket full of IEMs.  I listen mostly to my beloved Cowon J3 because I can equalize most IEMs for a sound I like. I have an amp. Now I have the 012s, like I needed yet another in-ear! I purchased the black filters to swap with the installed green based on reviews I read but they're not really necessary but they do make a change. I'm going to make this a short review... I have not a thing con to say about these. These surprise me by being better than my memory of them each time I listen with them They're great with all genres. There's nothing about these that I need to forgive. I applaud Audeo. I really REALLY like these.

Pros: Detailed and smooth treble at the same time

Cons: Bass could have more weight

Very detailed and realistic. Really smooth treble. Sometimes the bass lacks some weight but it is fast and it extends very low when it is called to.

Phonak PFE 012

Phonak’s bass-ic ingredient for the Audéo PFE 012: specially designed, in-built audio filters tuning sound waves to near perfect frequencies across the sound spectrum. The audio filters of the Phonak PFE 012 Perfect Bass earphones ‘adjust’ the sound waves to boost low frequencies and deliver cleaner, punchier bass notes without compromising on the overall sound eminence. The result for the listener: excellent levels of clarity and weight with every detail preserved to near perfection

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Phonak PFE 012