Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Meze 99 Classics › Reviews › BloodyPenguin's Review

The Meze 99 Classics is Simply, Fantastic

A Review On: Meze 99 Classics

Meze 99 Classics

BloodyPenguin

Pros: Amazingly Fun Sound Signature, Wonderful Build, Big Soundstage, Very Comfortable, Dual Detachable Cables

Cons: Braided Cable is Prone to Being Microphonic, Ear pads Can Get a Tad Warm Over Time

I’m rarely surprised by headphones.  If anything, most of the time I am slightly let down, I think a headphone is going to sound great, but it then disappoints.

With the Meze 99 Classics, it was the complete opposite; I thought they were just going to be another pretty face, a headphone focusing more on looks than sound, but I was SO wrong, so VERY wrong.  The Meze 99 is now one of my favorite headphones.  I‘m blown away by so many aspects of the 99, let me share those with you.

**All Photo Were Taken By Me, No Stock Images Were Used From the Manufacture**

Detachable Kevlar OFC cable
Plug: 6.3mm gold plated
Ear-cups: walnut wood

*Accessories*

As this is one of the first models out there, there are a few things missing from the full production run, like the 6.3mm to 3.5mm and airplane adapter.  But no worries about those as I have a million of them around the house.

The hard case itself is just awesome, as it is solid and understatedly handsome.  Inside the case you will find the 99 Classics sitting snug and safe along with another small, softer case for the cables.  It is a fully function and well laid out design.

*Build*

Over the top, beautiful; that is how I describe the Meze 99 Classics.  It is truly an elegant and tough built headphone.  This is a headphone that exquisite blends wood and metal.  You can tell Meze used very high end materials for this build, that include:  “CNC carved wood ear cups, cast zinc alloy hardware with electroplated coating, stamped manganese spring steel headband, memory foam and soft PU leather”.

What caught my attention are the two braided cables.  One shorter with a microphone and one much longer without a mic (forgive me; I do not have exact lengths of each cable at this time).  Both cables are quite beautiful and have a very premium feel.  My only issue with the cables is that both seem to display a decent amount of Microphonics because of the cover material.  Being a detachable cable, maybe there will be an optional version that could be DIY or purchased through Meze at a later date.

Now, while I am more of a Function over form kind of guy, I feel like as long as it sounds good, it can also look this good.  I just hate when companies care about looks and catch phrases over actual sound substance.  With the Meze, there is no need to worry in any of those departments though.

*Fit*

These are clearly an over ear headphone.  Comfort and distance around the ears is very good.  The only issue some might have is the pads getting a little warm with extended use, though I do love how soft the PU leather is, it is like a pillow around the ear.

The headband is very similar to the AKG K 240, with the headphone automatically adjusting to your head with some cleverly placed elastic materials.  I wish more headphones were like this as it allows for a perfect and quick fit.

*Sound*

Bass – Does play a prominent role in the Meze 99 Classics sound signature.  There is a lot of warmth and fullness down low.  While I would say for the most part the bass stays controlled, it can wander a tad out of hand here and there.  Sub-bass kick is wonderful, a lot of force with its bite.

Mids – I have a soft spot for the 99’s mids.  They are just north of neutral, while also being dynamic and detailed.  I think this is why I like these headphones so much, the middle is a great place to be.  A lot of speed, action and clarity resonate from here; this is where the magic happens.

Highs – While the Meze 99 Classics don’t extend too high, I never feel a loss of detail.  A slightly early roll off leads to a smoothness and sophistication not often heard with many other headphones I have heard recently.

­Isolation – Due to the easy fit and soft leather pads, the Meze 99 Classics can form quite a nice seal.  That seal in return leads to a really nice isolating headphone.  I just had my friend try these out a few minute ago while I was writing this, he was really impress how well these headphones block off noise.  He thought they were even noise canceling, until I quickly corrected him.

Soundstage – Here I found the biggest surprise the 99 Classics had to offer, a huge, well-tuned soundstage.  It is so wide, yet instrument separation stays so crisp and organized.  I honestly can figure out how Meze got this broad feeling from a closed, well isolating headphone, it is remarkable.

*Overall Thoughts*

As I you will have concluded from my review, I really like the Meze 99 Classics.  I think they are extremely fun and energetic, making them an obvious guilty pleasure for me.  They are analytical in their approach, yet still stay away from the label of monitoring.  They look incredible and have the personality to back it up.

While these are almost perfect, I do have a few suggestions to expand the overall enjoyment of the 99 Classics.  As I already mentioned my thoughts on the braided cable, I think there is one more replacement part I would like to see available and that is set of velour pads.  I think those would help reduce a bit of the bass and also help a tad with longevity of wearing the Headphones.  If I find a pair of velour pads that work for the 99 Classics, I will update my review.

I’ve reviewed over 30+ headphones this year alone and the Meze is a bright spot among them.  A surprise I honestly did not see coming. The 99 Classics is truly a great overall headphone for those looking for a warm, entertaining and detailed musical experience.

Yes, nice review. I'm going to have to read more about these. The one saving grace for bass heavy headphones is that you can cut bass out easily if you feel the need to clean it up. Much harder to add bass without it making the balance wonky sounding. I take it these are not cheap? $400 - $500ish?
@Sonic Defender, You can pre-order the Meze 99 Classics for $309 from the link I provided at the top of the review.
I believe adding velour pads would help the tune them to an almost perfect tonal balance.
Nice review, and absolutely lovely pictures!
Oh, come on...! Why so pretty and shiny?!?!? I gotsta have 'em!
Nice pictures buddy. Good to know that there are people who really care for the good looking pictures. Was tired to see bad and some really bad pictures (including some of the top reviewers)
@aaDee @moedawg140 - Thank you both for the kind words regarding my photography. I worked very hard with the lighting on this photo-shoot so I could properly show off the beautiful Meze 99 Classics.
Damn fine photos.
@shigzeo Thank you for the kind words!,  The Meze 99 Classics is a damn fine headphone and they are so easy to take nice pictures of because they are so freaking good looking.

what an eye for fotography.... !!
for the price, seems like a good deal. great photos!
Nice photography to back up an interesting and balanced review ; )
(Canon? Or possibly Alpha SLR?)
@Lorspeaker, @vcoheda & @FortisFlyer75

Thank you for all props on my photography.  I actually just use an old Panasonic GH1 from 2009:  http://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/DMC-GH1K.html

I just spend a lot of time trying to get the lighting just right, that is the hardest part.
@BloodyPenguin: photography is ALL about light, so you're doing everything right.
Can anyone recommend a replacement pad ? Despite being quite a lightweight headphone , the pads cause soreness to my ears fairly quickly. The stock pads are a bit stiff. anyone? tks
Given that this is an audio based website, I think you can rest assured that we're not blowing smoke up yer bum when we say "great photos". A great review, too... I cant wait for my turn. I feel, much as you do that it doesn't matter how they look if they sound good, but I'll be darned if these don't look great (to me).

Thanks again!
Well done. And excellent photos that could definitely pass for stock.
These headphones look amazing! And your description of the sound signature suggests they would be immensely pleasing to me :)

My big concern is the 50mW power rating......so these will accept like, NO amplification at all? That's the only thing keeping me from throwing money at my computer monitor :p

And I would like to echo the rest of the comments, your review photos are outstanding!
@Pahani we will just say that the 50mW is the maximum rated power. But the normal input power is 30mW.
I will leave the public to reply you about the efficiency of the headphones and their low impedance.