Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC

Pros: right price - while still customizable

Cons: not portable

I bought my Maverick TubeMagic D1 about 8 months ago and use it everyday at work. Its on about 6 hours a day and I have had zero issues with it. Its a very well built unit and sounds great when paired with my ATM50's and Foobar on my PC.

I had the factory upgrade the OpAmps with OP A627's for 30 bucks and the sound is very warm and pleasing for good old rock and roll, hip hop, and dubstep. I use the USB digital input jack for the signal from the PC which was super easy because it just worked, no special drivers or anything needed.

For office use I love this little unit, its only draw back would be that its not portable as it need's 120v. But its not heavy or big by any means. When I leave work everyday I just unplug it and put it in my desk drawer for safe keeping.

This is my first headphone dac/amp that I have owned so I dont have anything to compare it against other than the standard output from my PC or smartphone which just sucks compared to the D1 output. Its an awesome upgrade for 200.00 bucks USD delivered IMO.

Pros: Price, Reputation of the D1, Bit-perfect USB support out of the box

Cons: None so far

I got the D1+ with all the upgrades after reading all the awesome reviews about the original D1 on head-fi. It was pretty clear to me that the headphones I received for Christmas (Sennheiser HD 650) weren't going to work well with a 3.5mm jack out of my laptop. So after hours of researching the best options for my budget (250-350 bucks USD) I went with the D1+ and hoped for the best.
After unpacking it and hooking it up I played a few songs with Foobar2000 and was very pleased. I've listened to hours of music now and am still pleased with the unit, hearing micro-details in Pink Floyd and The Beatles as well as diving into albums I would other-wise not care about (good kid, m.A.A.d city, Koi No Yokan, The Lumineers).
You can really tell how well the album was engineered and even mastered from this combo, it doesn't forgive poorly recorded materials that well (it doesn't destroy the ability to listen to them though).
My friend who is in some form of music major and a huge audiophile came over with his Grado sr325i cans and plugged them in. He said the D1+ sounded better than the amps they used in his classrooms and better than his current home setup.
The investment really seems worth it, I can also buy a better amp if I ever feel like it (might not ever happen) and use the D1+ as a standalone dac/preamp (I've read the tube preamp is subtle and still stays true to the source material).

Main problem is I don't really have anything to compare it to in person. I won't be upgrading until I actually hear better, not just off reviews.

Pros: Fluid and articulate sound. Amazing price to performance ratio. Amazing synergy with Sennheiser HD 650's

Cons: None

Recently got the Maverick D1 Plus with the upgraded OPA627 OpAmps & GE5670 Tube.

The Maverick amp effortlessly drives the Sennheiser 650's. (My own subjective opinion to those happy HDP owners out there! No offence. Personally I didn't feel the NuForce performed well at low level listening, and felt muddy and lifeless unless it was cranked unbearably loud which was past 2-3pm on the dial and pushing it's limits. Might have just been my unit.

Right out of the box I was impressed with the power, low volume level output and musicality of the Maverick with the upgraded OP amps. Knowing it would take a few days for the solid state components to break in (and much more time for the tube to hit it's sweet spot for my bookshelves), it didn't disappoint in the least except for a slight muddying of the low frequencies that resolved after 24 hours.

I've had it now well over a week, arrived in less than a week from China, and had multiple listening sessions and waited to write this review until after the 100 hour mark.

It's smooth articulate and full bodied. Took away some veil and seems to have decent detail/soundstage/imaging. Have tried a few amp/dacs with the HD650's such as the Fiio e17, NuForce Icon HDP, and my buddy's Xonar Essence (more of a DAC) none of which really got the HD650's going to it's potential.

Aside from the NuForce I haven't had a chance to hear the similarly priced or higher priced offerings from Audiogd/Schiit/Bottelhead Crack/Alo Pan Am, Woo WA7 etc... Would love to test drive some different SS and Tube amps for a good comparison.

Overall very happy with my purchase and would consider buying another one in a heartbeat, am now on the look out for a good accompanying tube amp for headphone listening.

Pros: Sounds great out of the box, multiple inputs, great design, great upgrade options

Cons: None

I bought the TubeMagic after much searching on HeadFi for an entry level DAC, and I'm very pleased with it. I've had it for about six months and it's a great addition to my desktop listening. I use iTunes with lossless when I can, and AAC when I can't, and the results are really good. Clarity and presence are brought out in Mid's and Hi's, and Bass seems even and neutral. I've been using the ATH AD700s with good results. Maverick Audio also sells the TubeMagic A1 Amplifier, which I have just purchased to match a pair of AKG K702s I got as a gift. Maverick Audio has upgrade options available at purchase, or you can swap tubes and components after you buy. A few words on build quality. It's really good. Solid chassis, metal knobs and power switch make for a pleasant tactile experience. Ports are all sturdy, with the possible exception of the USB port, (It works perfectly fine, mine just doesn't have the "stickiness" most USB ports do.) It's about the size of two hardcover books stacked on top of each other, not exactly tiny but gives some nice desk presence. The TubeMagic Amp fits perfectly on top, which is nice.

All in all a great buy, and a great addition to desktop listening.

Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC

Introducing all new Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC, our famous all-in-one DAC & headphone amplifier combo now is getting even better. New features includes up to 24bit/192khz digital audio support, Tenor 7022L pro audio USB interface and improved circuit design. Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC lets you “upgrade” the audio listening experience for any type of setup. Whether you currently have a computer, game console, CD player or AppleTV, simply plug the TubeMagic D1 Plus in to enjoy superior high end sound quality.