Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Computer Speakers › Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer

Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer

Rated #4 in Computer Speakers

Pros: Great sound for its price, durable, easy to assemble.

Cons: Front speaker cables may be too short, sub is exposed and may be prone to accidental damage

I have had these speakers for almost 6 years now. Downgraded from my old Logitech Z680. The sub of the Logitech Z-680 had a buzzing sound within a few months of use that forced me to set the bass volume to less than 10% (although it was sufficient enough for decent bass). Until now the X-540s have not shown any signs of aging or sound deterioration. This considering that the speakers have been dropped a few times as I relocated 3 times and also had my little brother's toys thrown at them occasionally causing a minor dent on one of the speaker grills, it still performs well after 6 years. No distortion, and no discernible deterioration of sound quality. At least I didn't notice it. The sub doesn't have a grill and is exposed, although it is still intact since it always faces the floor and I often keep it in enclosed spaces.

The speakers are ideal for a small size room. I never had to go over 50% volume. The bass, despite its small size is no slouch, I had to set the bass to 25% max otherwise the neighbors would come knocking. The speakers can be wall mounted easily as well.

These speakers are perfect for the price. My only gripe with it would be the cable length and the inability to replace the cables. I had to use extension cables if I wanted to set the speakers a little further away from the sub. I don't expect the best sound from these speakers and therefore don't think anyone would want to replace the cables as it might have minimal positive effect at best. But still the experience I've had with it was positively great.

I also like the fact that I can control the main volume and bass volume through the extended dock.

Definitely better than the Z506 (which is "supposedly" an improvement model). I don't like the fact that the Z506's volume controller is on the right speaker. This limits the positioning of your right speaker. Also the bass volume controller is behind the bass, which would be an inconvenience for some, especially for those placing their sub inside a cabinet or enclosed spaces. Not to mention less drivers and are priced the same or higher.

I would purchase X-540s again if I could, and would definitely recommend these to anyone interested in a budget 5.1 computer speaker system.

Pros: Design , Matrix Mode , Good music quality

Cons: No mic. input on control panel

Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System is a very nice device.
I just hate there is no microphone input on control panel.There is only a head phone
input.

Pros: low priced, actually delivers 5.1

Low prices on these, which if your looking for a cheap 5.1 then its not too bad.

Sound quality is what you would expect from a set under 100$ and the bass is surprisingly powerful for its size.

The wires are too short to set this up as a surround sound anywhere except a dorm room

Good cheap gaming speakers, but not that great for music.

Pros: Very cheap.

Cons: A little grainy on the highs, can be very unbalanced tonally

I bought this setup for $80. Not bad at all for this little system. Used it with my xbox for a while and loved it. It shines much better for movies and games than for music. It sounds nice, but you'll be able to pick out plenty of flaws if your an audiophile. The subwoofer, for being so small, is actually very good, and gets much more thump out than you'd expect.For someone looking for a lot of sound for their computer or their TV in a smaller room, definitely get this, but dont expect the world.

Note. I actually ended up velcro-ing the speakers to the wall of my '86 truck when the stereo died. This thing RUMBLESSSSSSS  in the tiny cab of my toyota, but is still not good for anything that has higher vacals. the speakers are just too small to handle very much

Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Subwoofer

The X-540 speakers use FDD2 (Frequency Directed Dual Driver) technology to produce a uniform soundfield anywhere in the room. Immerse yourself in the game using the selectable matrix mode, which automatically creates 5.1 surround sound from common 2-channel stereo sources. The compact satellites are wall-mountable, and a special clip lets you place the center channel speaker on top of most flat-panel monitors to reduce desktop clutter. Use the wired control center to control volume and bass levels or connect headphones to enjoy your games and music privately.

BindingElectronics