Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › LHLabs Geek Out › Reviews › bhazard's Review

High Quality, High Res, High Output, High Satisfaction, Low Price.

A Review On: LHLabs Geek Out

LHLabs Geek Out

Rated # 26 in Amp/DACs
Quality
bhazard

Pros: Everything. Best DAC/Amp combo I've heard under $500

Cons: Some heat. Unable to use with USB OTG + External Power on Android.

The LH Labs Geek Out had a lot to live up to. A good 7+ months ago, the Geek Out started as a concept. This concept was to bring a high quality audio experience into a small and affordable device. Light Harmonic already created and sold the Da Vinci DAC, an award winning $20,000+ DAC, but they wanted to take a chance and bring a more affordable device to the masses.

Kickstarter crowdfunding was used to successfully fund into the project. As an "investor" into the Geek Out, I felt connected with the project. I and the other backers wanted it to succeed. We offered advice that changed the device into a better one over time. We told LH Labs what we wanted, and they listened. I got in as an early backer, and got an incredible deal on an incredible device. I kick myself for not getting in earlier and getting an even bigger discount. Even at retail, the Geek Out is still a steal.

I have the Silver Geek Out 1000, and this sucker is powerful. It is easily as powerful as my 1000mW Aune T1. The GO is being powered from USB alone, where the T1 has a giant power supply that needs to be plugged in. The Geek Out also happens to support 96khz+ and DSD, which the T1 can't do. The GO also sounds much better, and does it for the same price.

The device itself is smaller than a deck of cards, is lightweight, and has a beautiful aluminum shell. A LED alignment shows you physically on the device what bitrate your music is being played in. The two outputs offer different resistance modes 0.47ohm and 47ohm, which can be used simultaneously, or to better match your equipment. The GO is so powerful, that I normally run it on the 47ohm line out most of the time. Although I no longer have it, I'm sure the GO 1000 could easily support the HE-500 and most other demanding headphones as well.

Sound quality is stunning. "I'm hearing things I never heard before" is so cliche in an audio review, but it is 100% true here. Soundstage, imaging, bass tightness, clarity, power, a black background, impact... it's all there in spades. I find it more enjoyable than my old Audio-GD 11.32 unit, which was no slouch in sound, and was $350+.

The GO also has this unique ability to "change" the sound signature of some headphones, yet it doesn't color the sound and remains neutral. Let me try to explain this, because it might not make sense at first. Some headphones that I have previously found "a little hollow" or not as enjoyable as I liked, now seem to have come alive and gotten better. Maybe it is from the increased detail this DAC gives, but it can really throw you off guard and question your opinions of your headphone and speaker gear through older DACs and amps. I think that's awesome, and its an intangible quality that wasn't expected.

Setup on Windows 8.1 was quick and easy. The LH Control Panel is simple and shows you basic info and volume control. Foobar2000 and the LH ASIO driver played with no issues.

I was unable to get the GO working on my Cyanogenmod 11 Nexus 5 Android Phone with USB Audio Player Pro however, which was disappointing. I connected the GO via a USB OTG Y cable, and provided it external battery power with 2.1A. It powered the device, but neither CM11 nor UAPP was able to initialize it. Hopefully this can be fixed or added in the future. My Aune T1 worked flawlessly with CM11 and UAPP. The GO would be the ultimate DAC/Amp for me if it could work off my Nexus too.

I'm blown away by the GO. It draws me in, and makes me want to listen to my music more. Mission accomplished LH. Well done, and thank you. Keep bringing this quality and pricing around, and I will continue to purchase them.

Just buy one already. I'm really excited at what the Geek Pulse and Geek Wave will bring when they arrive now.

So you've heard the Audio-GD 11.32 NFB, Aune T1, and Geek Out 1000 to make such a comment? I actually also have a $50 amp (SMSL sAp II Pro) and a $50 DAC (HifimeDIY Sabre U2), and the Geek Out sounds light years ahead of it. Please do tell of this magical $40 DAC/Amp with a higher S/N ratio and lower measured distortion numbers please.

My question is, why are you salty? It's one thing to not like a product, but to insult it and downplay it without even hearing it first is pure ignorance.
40$ Dac/amp??? What's your point of reference?
Implementation of DAC chip makes a far bigger difference to SQ than the what chip is used.  According to your logic every DAC using the same chip would sound the same.
From Head-Fi.org's Posting Guidelines @ http://www.head-fi.org/a/posting-guidelines

Please don't recommend equipment you don't own or otherwise don't have a reasonable amount of familiarity with. Likewise, please avoid trashing equipment you haven't used or aren't familiar with.
What headphones where you using with the Geek?
I tried Jude's GO with my Nexus 7/UAPP/OTG setup at the NYC meet a few weeks ago but without additional power, it was no surprise that it didn't work with OTG power from the Nexus.

I'm very disappointed to hear that even with the power issue resolved (separate power source per the review), there is still a problem.  I hope LH and/or Danba are working on this.
"3D awesomifier" is a marketing term used to describe their implementation of crossfeed and simulated surround. It is no different than how Apple says they use a "Retina" display.

The substance is there. You just need to actually listen to it to find out.
The DAC used is the new Sabre ES9018K2M
I think you made your point ag...
As this is a review section and you never actually heard the product,
Be a good sport and move your train of thought into a dedicated thread or something.
I'm more interested in finding out what people's impressions are after listening to this thing than reading the same "hyped, mystery, cheap dac chip, etc" message. I got it the first time.
Thanks
Do you know how the Geek Out 450 sounds in comparison? because go1000 is too much for the budget. I just wanted to hear some impressions of the LH GO 450. and if you could lend some feedbakc I would appreciate it.
450 is still overkill for many IEMs and many headphones. Unless you have very demanding headphones, the 450 is perfect.
Is the dac a very capable dac? and it would be used for a 250ohm headphone that is why I am concerned. I figured it would not be able to drive them well. Anyways How is the dac of the 450 compared to 1000?
The DAC is the same between models. It is an ESS9018KM2, and it brings out a lot of detail.

450 should still be fine. It handles up to 300ohm well.
does this work with ps4 and other box like WD live hub?