Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones

Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones

Rated #4 in On-Ear

Pros: airy sound, punchy bass, forward mids, great overall balance, super comfy design, CHEAP!

Cons: slightly grainy treble, poor build-quality, ugly

I bought these KSC75 clips because I lost my modded Koss UR55 and I read oodles of praise for them online. At first I was skeptical because they are very flimsy looking and they are often compared to the Koss PortaPro which sounds muddy in my opinion. So I tried them on and I was immediately impressed by the overall balance and airy sound. Everything sounds so natural and forward, and it's really easy to separate vocals and instruments. I really like these with pop and rock music. The KSC75 crush the PortaPro. However, I must say that the treble feels grainy at times, especially with shimmering electric guitars (typical in post-rock). Another complaint would be that they look super dorky on your head, especially next to the PortaPro which is very stylish.

I think that the KSC75 would almost better the Grado Sr60i, if it weren't for that grainy treble. They are that good.

Pros: Value, natural, balanced sound

Cons: treble

....... as a young lad, some 30 years ago, when I first got into headphones and placed my order from J&R music world, waited in ernest for that UPS truck to deliver my pro4AA 'digital ready' headphones. I'd just gotten my new technics CD player and copys of police-ghost in the machine, billy idol's rebel yell and dark side of the moon. before cd's all we had to listen to for portable music was via tdk and maxell tape through a sony walkman that were dubbed and traded from friends lp collections. There was only a few cd offerings at first and boy was I excited about the dynamic range of the digital sound and really liked the idea of instantly skipping to my favorite song and lack of cracks and pops that were the norm on my turntable.......but I digress, the Koss sound was a good one even back then, but the ksc75 reminds me of what I like about vinyl whereas the digital ready pro4aa was a less organic sound. The ksc75 is an accurate and natural sound with the exception of the top end which is inaccurate and is thrashy. Cymbals will not sound right for example. This may help with some amplification but who buys $20 headphones to use with $400 amps? In any case, I've not found amps to completely solve the high end problem......while these headphones have a nice analog'y sound, there's nothing here that will astound or impress for anyone 'into headphones', unless you really just like to sit down and listen to your favorite music and are on a budget. Eq the treble down a notch and enjoy.......

Pros: Cheap, small and portable.

Cons: Sound not much to enjoy.

Had these, but sold them when I got a pair of KSC50, which gave me a much more enjoyable and clear sound.

The KSC75 had very little bass impact, cut-off early in the treble, poor detailing in the sound.

Both the KSC75 and KSC50 have a problem with comfort over a longer time of use, the clips make my ears tingle and hurt!

But for a short listening session when I want some "open" sound on a vacation, the KSC50 is usable.

They do provide the bass and detail that the KSC75 does not.

Pros: cheap, comfortable (with wierd ears), good for rock music, details

Cons: percussions

I bought these after reading so many positive reviews and I must say it's disappointment for me.

I tried them on Lenovo X3A40, Xonar ST and Xonar ST + Dispre v4. Many people says they are balanced with nice voals, highs and not so good bass. Well bass is ok for me. Not too much bass like Porta Pro (which I own too). Mids are slightly behind bass and trebles in compare of my AKG 701, Yuin PK1 and PK2, Ety ER6i, Hifiman RE-0. Highs are there for sure. They are sparkling but it sounds soooo rattling. Specially percussions, cymbals. Highs are worst part on these headphones for me and I like trebles. I like lot of trebles, I like sparkling trebles or even agressive trebles are not big problem for me but those from KSC75 are just ... yuck. Wierd thing is they sound good in rock music but are horrible in electronic music or classic music. Vocals sounds like placed into higher frequencies but overall they are nice. Soundstage is not big but separation is OK. I don't like sibilance on KSC75. For so cheap headphones KSC has a lot of details. Also balanced sound is not what I imagine when I'm listening KSC75. Isolation is bad but that's no surprise. Guitars sound nice in KSC75. Porta Pro has more energetic sound, more enjoyable except those bass.

Overall KSC75 are fine headphones but not for me. I like smooth detailed sound like PK1. These sounds more like PK2 with rattling highs, much smaller soundstage but better bottom mids.

I was listening to Faithless, Redhots, Dire straits, Lenka, Die Antwoord, MDK soundtrack, Fatboy slim, Daft punk and something more from Tidal after 12-15 hours burning.

PS: graphs about Audio Quality, Comfort, Design and Value are not like I set so don't look on them.

Pros: size/weight, price, sound quality, comfort

Cons: build quality, on-ear (could be positive?), cable

I am gonna start this where it should. These are the best thing in audio I have found at the price-point. I recently took all the headphones I have access to, and basically did a shootout. For audio quality, these came in third out of about a dozen. The Koss KSC75 came out ahead of the Sennheiser HD558, G4me Zero, G4me One, Monoprice 8323, and some others. Purely objectively, these are crazy for the price. (The two ahead of it were the Philips SHP9500, and the Superlux 668b).

The Koss KSC75 are quite comfortable for a clip-on. They weigh about as much as you would expect. The ear-touching thing is not nearly as objectionable as I had guessed it would be. As others have said, switching to a headband style would not be difficult at all. My only complaints with comfort and fit are how the clips dig in a little after a while, and they are a bit odd to center on your ears. This is entirely due to being clip-on.

The build quality is low, This is to be expected with anything at this price point, but has to be noted. The plastic backing is cheap, the foam padding is cheap, The cable is comparable to that of an old Walkman charger. The cable is awful. The cable, however, is a good length for portable use, and does terminate in an angled 3.5mm jack, which is good. The ear clips are cheap, and are just plastic. The wire supporting the clips are slightly different sizes on mine. One clip sticks out, and back a bit further than the other. The Koss KSC75 passed the shake the head around, jump, run test as well. These do not fall off my ears, but keep in mind my ears give plenty of surface area to hold on to. Overall, It is what you should expect for the price-point.

Now for the sound.

As mentioned before, these beat out some Sennheisers in my audio quality shootout. The sound is inviting enough that fatigue is not much of an issue. The clarity is great. Highs and mids are fairly well balanced with a few peaks and valleys. Vocals are great, but don't stick out so much that it becomes a problem. The bass is entirely dependent on environment and positioning. Overall, I neither find it lacking, nor overwhelming. The is not particularly loose or tight either. Soundstage is good, and the Koss KSC75 passed the CS:GO test with flying colors. These are extremely open. They get the double in the open catagory. Not only are they on ear, they are open backed, and use thin foam pads. The sound signature I would describe as similar to the SHP9500 with a bit more bite.

I figure I should start picking a song for each pair of headphones I review to give an idea of what sounds good with them.

Feature song: human - Christina Perri

Conclusion: The Koss KSC75 are hands down the best (imho) for their pricepoint. The Superlux 668b/ Samson SR850 is objectively better, but is much less inviting, and more cold. Still, I prefer the Sennheiser hd558 sound to any other option I have tried as of writing this. If you are addicted to headphones, or just need something open, cheap, and sound quite good, I highly recommend these.

I do all my testing with a FiiO e10, and all kinds of audio files. Please feel free to leave feedback, suggestions, questions, and especially recommendations. All these lower price headphones are a bit of a gateway drug to the world of audio.

Pros: Light Weight, Great Overall Sound

Cons: Muddy in the bass

I honestly thought I was going to hate these, but I am surprised how much of a kick these give to songs.

Let's get on with the review:

Build

The build is not the best in terms it's steadiness, but it is definitely light weight and extremely comfortable. You will forget you are even wearing them!  On a side note, if you have small ears, these might not be the best as they can slip off.

Amazing. Simply, Amazing. I can't get over how smooth the highs and mids sound. I kept on cringing at the ASMR videos I watched on Youtube (good thing).  Now, there is a downside. They do not have much bass in them and at times can be extremely muddy with certain songs.

​Comparison

In comparison to the Grados SR80e's they are not as powerful, but they do pack a punch and have a little bit more thump in them.  Also, they were $85 dollars less =)

Testing Done With

Headphone Test-Luigi

Pink Floyd- Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast

Youtube Ad

Eminem- Phenomenal

Stromae- Papaoutai

I just used them straight out of the box and they sound amazing. I'm not quite sure if they need to burn in or not. Also, I used my phone's DAC with no amp.

Overall

Great for acoustic sound as well as movies. Not so good for anything that requires a lot of bass like Rap or EDM. If you are a baller on a budget, you'd be crazy to not these b.

*Stick tune to my review on the  Edifier Hi-Fi Stereo Headphone (H180 White), and the Takstar Pro 80s with modified pads *

Pros: Wow

Cons: Wow, clips and driver's flaw.

First that all, I called them Pieces of ****, because they look incredibly cheap and ugly, but they sound really good. They remind me a lot to the 668B, both have a fast bass that lacks Sub-bass (On the KSC75 that lack is worse), both have a sort of dry timbre, and both have great highs (Depending on your tastes you might find 668s highs a little bit too bright). To be honest, I find the KSC75 highs a little bit lacking. xD

Soundstage is very good, it is a step back of my 668b's soundstage.

Their clips are comfortable, but It takes a while to put them on. However, you can buy "Parts Express Mini Stereo Lightweight Headphones" on Amazon and use its Headband on KSC75s.
Overall, for 15$ You wont believe how good they sound.

Edit: I´m updating my reviews, I have to add that my KSC75 died (6 month ago) I´ll try buy a pair or even two pairs next year. Also I had the opportunity to try others portable headphones like HD202 and UE4000, and really, the KSC75 destroy the HD202s in almost every way and its on pair with the UE 4000.

UE4000s destroy the KSC75s on timbre and Sub-bass, However soundstage is wider and bass is faster on the KSC75. (I think this comparison is a bit unfair because you can buy almost 3 pair of KSC75 for the price of one UE4000).

Really, even after 6 month without them I cant still believe how good they were, and their biggest problem is how my KSC75 died, the died because their drivers themselves died (Not the outer cable) (It seems that the internal thin wires of the drivers broke up due to knocking).

Pros: Airy, clarity, comfort, energetic sound, sparkling highs, non-sibilant

Cons: Looks, bit muddier bass

I was looking for some headphones under $50, went through hell lot of reviews here n got confused about everything. Then somehow the browser showed few auto suggestions n I found these gems.
I read in almost every review that these are the cheapest n best earclips in the market. Well they are best but not that cheap in India especially when the exchange rates are so high. I got them for $25-$26 shipped to India through ebay.
Packaging:- The packaging was good, simple, nothing much to talk about.
Build:- They look flimsy n build quality is questionable. The cable is so thin n so ordinary, I have to be very careful while wearing them.
Comfort:- When I first wore the , I felt they are loose on my ears, so I tried to adjust the clips by slightly bending them. It takes time to adjust them in the beginning but after a while you get used to it.
Sound:-
Bass:- When I first listened to them I found the bass bit muddier. After burning them for 20-25 hours they opened a bit. I would say the bass is soft n punchy at the same time. You cannot listened to them on high volume as they start to rattle. I think these are made for soft listening levels.
Mids:- Some say they are recessed but I don't completely agree to it. Its true that they don't have forward mids but they are not recessed for sure. Mids are very clear, airy n pleasant for my choice.
Treble:- Highs are the most beautiful things on KSC75. Yes they are grainy but in a positive way. They are crisp,clear n I'm loving them. Highs have got nice extension.There is no sibilance whatsoever. In fact after listening to them I started feeling my Soundmagic E30 are bit sibilant too.
Isolation:- KSC75 are open back earpads, so you cant expect isolation from them. They are nice to wear at home or at gym but certainly not for wearing them on the streets if you live in noisy places like Mumbai. I tried wearing them in trains but i was completely disappointed (Don't compare trains in Europe with Mumbai local trains)
Conclusion:- KSC75 are the best deal out there for the price for sure. Sometimes I prefer them over my RE262 just for the love how energetic they sound even at low volume.(RE262 lovers please don't kill me for that, I love my RE262 a lot too, and quality cannot be compared)But it's just the characteristic of KSC75 that you fall in love with them. They look funny on the street. I look like a character from 1970's science fiction film. But I don't care about it as long as I'm enjoying the sound of it. As almost everyone said earlier, they are must have headphones and everyone should own these at least once in your life.

My simple tiny set-up-Cowon C2 + Fiio E6 + Koss KSC75:-

Pros: Sound, price, life time warranty, easy to mod

Cons: Design (clip-on system), relatively cheap build material, due to clip-on system comfort issues

They have good old fun sound signature, very engaging and very dynamic. I found mids are a bit too recessed for my tastes and affected by the low region unfortunately however from a cheap can like this, I don't expect the separation of HD800 obviously. Treble is nice, sparkling very detailed and crisp. Bass could be more controlled but it does its job, it has a strong, punchy bass and when the song calls for it, it knows how to give 'boom' effect.

So what do we have here? Very good sounding on ear headphones which can easily compete against 100 euro price range. Is there a problem, you bet! Some people seem to like the design and clip system but I totally hated it. I am currently looking for a chance to make a headband mod otherwise it is too painful for me to wear it longer than 20 minutes. Also I keep on playing with the clip because it doesn't fit correctly and keeps on moving around. Design-wise, unfortunately they are failed in my experience.

At this point, you probably know that they are open back cans, so they don't isolate and they leak sound quite a lot. If you want to hear your surroundings, that's good for you but pay attention, you might disturb people around you.

They are also easy to mod, I saw already Kramer mod and headband mod. If I can do the headband mod (looking for a headband donor cheapo headphone) I will continue with the Kramer mod too.

Also, they might need a little bit more power than your usual average consumer targeted iems/headphones.

I have problems with comfort but I like the sound, I will try to mod them to keep it, otherwise no go for me. I bought these ones to use in gym not as a main headphone and for 15 euros, I think they punch way above their price. However, if I fail modding, probably I am gonna order PX100-II to use at gym.

So if you are looking for can to use in the gym or outside running they are good. Also if your budget is tight, I can still recommend them since they are kind of giant killers. Just be sure that you can handle the clip system or do a headband mod.

Koss KSC75 Portable Stereophone Headphones
By:

Portable headphone the on-the-go user

BindingElectronics
UPC212991485708
Batteries Included0
Is Autographed0
Is Memorabilia0
Legal DisclaimerWarranty does not cover misuse of product.
WarrantyLimited lifetime warranty