iBasso DX100 Reference DAP

Pros: Huge, rich, detailed sound, great build quality, all-in-one, android UI, very powerful

Cons: Requires to clean up you library, a bit large, fairly poor battery time, still some bugs to be fixed, no USB charge

When I first received my iBasso DX100, I think I lost a week or so really getting everything to work perfectly, even though I had solid advice from other headfiers (see the FAQ on the player), and even if I went straight to 1.2.7 firmware.

The main things that will take time is that you need to clean all your tags (I thought they were clean, but apparently not DX100 clean). Then you have to understand the small issues (for instance, when you turn it on after transferring a lot of music, you have to leave it alone for a long time, even if it seems to be doing nothing, or it will freeze - for the longest time I thought something was wrong. Apparently they will fix this in the next firmware).

Once you overcame this initial phase...well this is another realm of sound. I can only compare it too my previous players (ipod + ibasso T3D, Cowon X7, Cowon Z2), but the gap is just huge. For instance, if the sound is 4/10 for an ipod and 6/10 for a Cowon, it's gonna be 10/10 for a DX100. You really have to listen to it to understand the difference. With good IEMs (top tier universal or customs), the feeling of space and instrument separation is just huge. You hear every single detail in your music, which may be anoying with low quality music. And when I say low quality, I don't only mean losless vs. mp3. Some CD quality tracks may be poorly mastered and have a lot of noise. The DX100 will let you hear everything, for better or worse...

I don't want to get into the whole technical analysis of the sound, because I am not qualified too, but just to give you an idea of the quality: there is a track on fiona Apple's latest album called "Werewolf". The song starts with doors opening and closing, with the sound coming from the back. I was listening to it alone in my bed and really stood up and looked around terrified, convinced that someone had entered the room.

In my opinion there are two main issues with the player: the first one the battery does not last very long, and for reasons unknown to me the battery life seems a bit unpredictable depending on what is running in the background (I don't want to risk rooting the player to remove all unnecessary apps). The second one is that the player is not all that portable. It is not only the size, but sometimes, if you really move it around too much, the music might skip. So in my opinion, this is not the player to run or exercise.

The last problem crazy audiophiles may encounter is that they will not know what to buy after that ! It seems like the best all-in-one portable solution out there, and you will even hard pressed to find an amp to make it even better ( according to all the reviews out there, only the best portable amps make it marginally better, but I have not tried it.). So your purchasing mania might be frustrated :)

All in all, I just love this player. I have been listening to twice as much music since I have it, and this will only get worse (better) once I get my Miracle. If you are looking for amazing sound and can overcome a few niggles, this player is for you.

Pros: Superior Sound Quality, Simple UI, Excellent Design, Very Powerful Internal Amp, Great Value, and did i mention the Sound Quality ???

Cons: Battery life could be lengthened a bit more, issues with songs randomly skipping,

Owned a variety of DAC's DAP/sources, Cowon J3, Hisound Studio 3rd Anniversary, Dacport LX, HRT Music Streamer II+, Sony Walkman Z. The DX100 completely blows them all away with it's reference quality sound, and it's ability to drive Power Hungry Headphones.

Pros: SQ, Battery is better than DX100, ES9018 DAC Chip

Cons: UI, Price, Size

I got these a month ago and it still amazes me. First of all, I have to say that burn in is very important, with the HDP-R10 at least. At the start, the sound is a bit muddy and it has a bit of hiss, but that is completely eliminated after about 300 hours. It is said to be superior to the DX100 which is why I purchased it instead of the DX100. The specs show that it is recommended for any headphone from 8-600 OHMs which is basically everything. Below is my full review.
*Disclaimer* I am in no way affiliated with iBasso nor Hibino Intersound. I bought these myself. Here are the specs from Hibino Intersound

HDP-R10
Built-in memory 64GB
Use OS Android ™ 2.3.1
Display 3.75 type touch panel
Audio format (* 1) FLAC, DSD, ALAC, AIFF, WAV, WMA, AAC, OGG, APE, MP3
Frequency characteristic 5Hz ~ 45kHz ± 3dB (theoretical value)
S / N ratio 108dB
Gain switching Lo, Mid, Hi
Maximum output Lo: 140mW +140 mW (16ohm)
Hi: 300mW +300 mW (16ohm)
THD Less than 0.002%
Power Built-in lithium polymer battery
Battery duration (* 2)
(theoretical value)
FLAC, WAV (24Bit/192k Hz): about 8.5 hours
FLAC, WAV (24Bit/96kH z): about 9 hours
FLAC, WAV (16bit/44.1 about 10 hours: kHz)
(128kbps) MP3: about 10 hours
Standby: about up to 100 hours
Charging time About 8 hours
Headphone impedance 8 ~ 600Ω recommended
Connector External memory slot Micro SD (micro SDHC support, up to 32GB)
Headphone output Standard phone jack × 1,3.5 mm stereo mini jack × 1
Digital output 3.5mm mini-jack (optical × 1, coaxial × 1)
Line output 3.5mm stereo mini jack × 1
USB input USB Micro-B socket × 1
Wireless LAN Wi-Fi
Bluetooth ® (※ 3) Version: Bluetooth ® 2.1 + EDR
profiles: AVRCP, PAN
The main software HD Music player (IBa sso Audio), browser (Google), Japanese input software simeji (Bai du)
Color Massive Black
Accessories Charging AC adapter, USB cable
Dimensions and Weight W72 × H28 × D118mm, 260g

UI

The UI is alright but is lags quite a bit. You can create multiple playlists which is really convenient for me. Swiping is a bit weird because it takes long to respond and scrolling is weird. Then once again, I'm used to the very responsive Samsung Galaxy S3 screen so I'm sure it's not actually so bad. When you select a song, it also takes 5 seconds to play it and that really does get on my nerves at times. The track forward and back also have a similar problem but it is not as bad. The whole player is rather unresponsive and I have tried to contact Hibino Intersound with no success. However, this is an audiophile music player after all and it was built for the main purpose of playing music. It is a lot easier to use than say a Sansa Clip+ rockboxed. Overall, not too bad but it could be further improved.

The design is not the best that I have seen. The volume rocker is usually on the left side on most devices and it is on the right with the HDP-R10. There is a 1/4 (gold plated?) jack and a 3.5mm jack which makes things a lot more convenient. It also has a line out and 3 gain switches as well as optical and coaxial outputs which I do not use but the more functions the better right?smily_headphones1.gif The inbuilt memory is 64GB and it accepts 32GB Micro SD cards but you can use a 64GB one formatted to FAT32. The battery is stated to last 10 hours but I often get around 12 hours playing 16 bit music. I find that it is perfectly sufficient but it may be a bit too little for long plane flights. I'm not sure why iBasso decided to make this an Android device and I believe that most people will not use most Android functions such as apps. Overall, the design is pretty good except for its huge size.
Here are some pictures:

Packaging & Accessories
It came with a pretty looking white box which which is sealed with a piece of tape. Upon opening it, you are greeted with the HDP-R10 surrounded by soft foam covered with a soft, silk like purple cloth. It is an expensive player and the packaging certainly reflects that. Below, a compartment slides out and there is a nice USB to Micro USB cable and a charging cable that was with the Japan socket. I had to get an adapter thing to use it in Australia. There is a user manual in Japanese which I cannot read and that is about it. Nice and simple. iBasso included all the necessary features on the actual player and didn't waste their time on unnecessary accessories that nobody was going to use. You can buy a case, stand and screen protectors separately.

Soundstage
The soundstage is absolutely amazing on these. the stage width is around 5 times as wide as my Samsung Galaxy S3 with Poweramp and everything is placed very well. This is perhaps the biggest soundstage in a DAP.

Internal DAC
This uses the ES9018 DAC that is popular in many expensive home set ups. It is, one of the most expensive if not the most expensive DAC chip on the market. In a word, it is wonderful. I don't mean that it is just better than say a DAC on your phone or your cheaper DAP. I mean that playing music on my phone sounds grainy in comparison. The background is completely black and I can hear minute details that I just can't on cheaper DAPs. The most noticeable difference is the bass and how it seems to be faster than on other more economical DAC chips. For those who don't believe that DACs make a difference, try this. I've seen some people stack an external DAC on and I've never really gotten the point of it. I think that the internal DAC is better than all portable DACs including the Algorythm Solo -DB with an iPod Classic. This is the chip that it uses:

Internal AMP
This DAP has a great amp and uses the 627 op amp and it is said to be able to power 600 OHM phones well. Many people said that they drove the HD600 and HD650 with ease and they are both 300 OHMs. I can push some of my headphones to sound like speakers. I have no doubts at all about the driving power of this. The internal amp does reduce hiss by a lot and there is none detectable at normal listening levels. It also refines everything and I feel like this really add a bit of detail.

Bass

The bass is very neutral and it reproduces deep bass extremely well.The detail in the lower region is really incredible. With lesser players, drum hits were just a sound, but now, they are textured and you can actually hear them vibrating after every hit. Bass guitars are so realistic and you can actually hear every individual string plucked and the air around them when they vibrate. The bass trumpets are hyper detailed and you can hear the person taking a breath easily. Woodwind instruments are also reproduced very realistically and the bass detail is simply the best that I've heard, surpassing the DX100, AK100 and many other ToTL DAPs.

Midrange

These are a tad bit mid heavy and in a good way. It is great for vocals, but it won't hide any flaws and it utterly revealing. If sibilance is present on the track, the HDP-R10 won't help reduce it. FLAC tracks by Susan Boyle are hauntingly good and with the right headphone or IEM, it really does sound that she's right in front of you. Now that we've established that vocals are absolutely awesome, let's move on to midrange instruments such as pianos, violins, guitar and the like. I have never really been truly impressed by the way that a portable player presents piano, but Hibino has done it. Pianos, violins and other instruments sound so real that if you are listening to classical music, you really do feel like you are in a concert hall listening to a live performance.

Treble

The treble, like all the other frequencies are stunning. Cymbals are rendered superbly and the decay is just right. There is just enough sparkle to make it neither dull nor sibilant. Woodwind instruments are extremely realistic and detailed and with good headphones, you can actually hear the spit from the performer's mouth on well recorded tracks. If you have actually heard a trumpet in real life, you will be amazed how well the HDP-R10 can reproduce it. Compare the HDP-R10 to lesser players, an you will think that other players sound thin and plain bad in comparison. Even when I compare this to the DX100, this wins by a bit and you can tell how it is mire detailed and overall just more realistic.

Comparisons

Coming soon

Conclusion

I know that I used the words realistic and others many times, but that's really how you can describe it. It is just so realistic, like there are people performing in front of you. There are hardly any faults for sound quality and you'd really have to be nit picking to find a real fault in sound as it just sounds so great. However, not everything is good about this player. The major downside for me is size. I'd happily pay twice as much for this if this was half as thick, had 15 hours of battery life, can be charged via USB and was just about bug free. I do feel like with every purchase of the HDP-R10 and DX100, iBasso/Hibino Intersound should at least include a nice case and a screen protector. About the pop and 5 second delay problem, Hibino Intersound said that they will probably release a firmware update in the near future that will fix these issues. So is this an end game DAP? For me, yes, until something that meets all my requirements above comes out. I was looking at the HM-901, but I decided that no touchscreen and the wheel thing would be too hard to navigate, so I'm sticking with my HDP-R10.

Pros: Great sound, great flexibility, one box solution

Cons: Quirky UI, battery life, pricey

Until recently I would have said stay well clear of this player. I bought mine in June from a fellow Headfier. Sound was good but the UI was poor. Worse, the player app crashed regularly (read daily, virtually every session) and it had a couple of very frustrating flaws - most importantly if you changed track manually, the sound for the first second or so would be quiet, ruining the start of many songs. Buggy would be a polite way to describe it. I tried a whole range of fixes but nothing worked.

But, the sound was good, very good actually. It had obvious potential and brilliant flexibility so I've stuck with it. I almost reached the point where I'd had enough, but didn't feel I could inflict it on anyone else when they released the latest firmware (1.2.7 I think but don't quote me). It was that close to being consigned to my cupboard of failed equipment.

But the firmware upgrade saved it. Amazing transformation. Now completely stable, sound even better and the quiet start (almost) eliminated - apparently it's something to do with the way the chip is implemented. It's still a little quirky and the UI could be better, but you quickly adapt.

The sound is outstanding, very natural and organic. It has excellent resolution and I'd describe the overall sound as neutral without being clinical in any way. Using the headphone out I'd put it a notch or two behind my desktop rig (Meridian 588/Macbook Pro -> Audio-gd reference 5.2 -> Icon Audio HP8mk2), but for a portable it is excellent. I had Frank from Toxic Cables make me a silver interconnect and happily use it via the analogue line out jack to my amp and feel I'm missing very little. I take it to work every day, using it to drive my Westone 4Rs and, when I come home, I just connect it to the HP8 if the Mac is in the other room. I have my classical music on the external card and everything else on the internal memory, I mix and match files of different resolutions seemlessly. The ability to use it with the built-in amp (a good performer with three gain settings – it drives my Senn 6xx fine although obviously a decent desk top amp is superior), analogue, optical, coaxial and USB digital outs gives amazing flexibility and I find the sound consistent across all the plugs.

I use it so much I almost wonder whether I need my other DAC/sources sometimes. And with the ongoing development that seems to be happening, I reckon it's got a good future. I'd been round the houses with ipods, portable amps and tried the CLAS a friend owned. This is so much better and comes in one box! They just need to make the battery life a bit longer - I recharge most days.

In a word - recommended.

Pros: Many ways to connect it. Light weight. Full-size headphone socket. Excellent sound. Android OS means it is customisable. Will play almost any file.

Cons: Playback software limited to the buggy iBasso software if you want to play high-res files. Software is buggy. Battery life isn't great.

For years now we have had a lot of hype over portable gear, much of it not living up to any expectations in comparison to dedicated home components. There is even a whole thread dedicated to why. However, with the popularity of custom fit IEMs and vast improvements in digital technology, with portable DACs able to use an iDevice as a source, the possibility of having a truly hi-fidelity portable system is becoming all the more possible.

iBasso surprised everyone by coming out with an Android-running DAP (Digital Audio Player) using the famed Sabre ES9018 DA chip. Unlike iDevice-based solutions, this can play high-res music files up to 192/24 in most formats. While it is still very buggy in implementation, the hardware consists of a headphone amp that works remarkably well with all types of headphones -- orthodynamics through to high-impedance German models -- and even has a full-sized headphone socket.

Add to that a volume-controlled line out and both optical and S/PDIF digital outputs and the DX100 is incredibly versatile, being able to act as a good headphone amp, pre-amp, DAC and digital transport.

Comparing it as a DAC compared to my main DAC and as an amp compared to other amps, it isn't going to compete with them, but they cost 2-4x as much as the DX100. Though even the king of the (non-balanced) portables, the Triad Audio L3, is a better amp, that doubles the cost of the rig and makes it annoyingly bulky. I'll take the L3 along with me when I'm travelling overseas, but around town, being able to get a VERY satisfactory and enjoyable listen with the DX100, whether I'm using IEMs or full-sized headphones is incredibly handy.

I plugged the DX100 as a source and pre-amp into a Linn Klimax Twin power amp and surprised the dealer that was selling it with the results. While the limitations in the sound were apparent to me using my own music, such as the soundstage not being as wide and the instruments lacking that last bit of detail I get with my home DACs, that you can get something so capable in such a small package now is remarkable.

The amp side of things too is much the same story. Music sounds good with the LCD-3s plugged in, but my bigger, dedicated amps deliver more punch and detail. HIgh-impedance headphones such as the classic Sennheiser HD600s and 650s don't have as wide a soundstage with the DX100 as you get with a dedicated amp either, but even using sensitive IEMs and headphones with weird impedance issues (such as the new Sony XBA series), the result is consistently good.

Having both coax and digital optical outputs was a great bonus when testing digital equipment from other manufacturers, as having a couple of digital cables handy allowed me to listen to my own music using the DX100 as a transport when I was in Tokyo recently.

The main downsides to the device is the buggy software. One afternoon it started distorting, even when being used as a transport, requiring a reboot. The Android-based OS also requires third party software if you want to improve battery life and shut down unnecessary programs, such as those that would normally run phone features that don't exist on the device.  Despite this, the battery will still drain down to zero within a full day even if the device is left idle.

Start-up is also slow, with the software taking some time to read the list of music if you've filled up the 64 GB of internal memory. Expansion in this case is limited to another 64 GB via an expensive micro-SD card, which needs to be formatted as FAT32.

If you want to play high-res files then you're limited to using the default music player, which, handily, recognises just about everything, though may not be able to read every type of file tag. When I tried last, it would read the tags on my FLAC files but not on my ALAC ones, reading the file name instead.

The music player itself comes with a standard set of options -- listing by artist, album, genre and the like and includes settings for up-sampling, random play (which isn't always so random) and a basic EQ.

Overall, it's a bit of a mixed bag: Excellent sound but annoying software, especially if you're used to using an iDevice from Apple. The firmware is being upgraded and the bugs fixed from time-to-time, so I wouldn't be surprised in a year if things were considerably better. Still, if you have some with patience for the software it makes for a very good one-box portable solution.

Pros: Clarity, Details, Sound Stage, Power, Storage, EQ, 24 Bit Music

Cons: Battery (3.5 Hours) Due to EQ and Hi Resolution (24 Bit) Music

Placed an order for this player with the goal of getting great sound, power, storage in one player! Got it some months later and boy the sound was awesome from the minute I heard it. The more I heard it (burn in) the better it sounded. Clear, detailed and sound stage is the best I ever heard in a portable player. Very powerful which is also important to me because I do not want to be walking with alot of things in my pockets or hand. As of now not easy to create my play list but i have not even really tried cause I love the sounds from this player. The issues with the Android and Wifi I do not care at all cause I never use it and I do not plan to. I also love the EQ! Bass was pounding when I didnt use the EQ and now the bass pounds so hard.

Pros: The sound quality! Powerful amplifier, with an appreciated 3-steps gain-switch

Cons: Battery life certainly could be better, but the sound quality you get makes up for that disadvantage.

dx1001.jpgdx1002.jpg

A bit of background: I'm coming from using Sony MiniDisc Walkmans, Hi-MD specifically, with their ability to play full CD-quality LPCM, and providing true gap-less playback, aside a sound quality that is way above that of iPods and other typical MP3 players -and I have tried a few of those.

My musical library just keeps growing, the price per 1GB Hi-MD MiniDisc just isn't competitive any more, and lugging around many discs isn't always convenient, so I'd been on the look-out for a replacement for my Hi-MD Walkmans, and ideally even an upgrade in sound quality, since from using Sony MDR-EX90SL's I'd upgraded to the Audio-Technica W5000's.

I'd considered the iMod at one stage, with a large SSD and a good headphone amplifier with a long lasting battery, & that probably remains a solution for those seeking the longest on-the-go autonomy; also the iPod Classic + portable iDACs, CLAS (-dB) / HP-P1 / Go-DAP(-X) / PHA-1, but why support a product, the iPod, that is mediocre in its conception in its first place? Sure the UI is unanimously recognized as intuitive and practical, but for a music player, isn't sound quality the most important? Apple failed miserably here.

So Colorfly has an interesting device, the C4 Pro, but alas no gap-less, and 24bit/192kHz only via WAV, not FLAC, not quite practical.

HiFiMan just has a terrible UI, no gap-less either, and the design just doesn't appeal to me.

Then iBasso came along to announce their first DAP, and touting it as a "reference" one, setting a new high level standard.

Up to 64GB swappable memory via µSDXC, 64GB internal, gap-less, one of the best DAC's on-board, and a powerful amp; the ability to plug my W5000's straight-in without an adaptor, cool. Metal housing, nice.

All that sounded like a truly meaningful upgrade to my MD Walkmans.

So, bought it, and how do I like it?

dx1003.jpgdx1004.jpgdx1005.jpgdx1006.jpg

Built quality is pretty good, not quite Sony-Made-In-Japan level, but very acceptable. 64GB capacity and credits are printed just slightly slanted on the back*, and I have to insert the µUSB cable into its slot also in a slightly slanted manner. I don't mind that, but I can imagine others would return their unit immediately for these little faults. I'm too addicted to the sound right now to bother.

dx1008.jpgdx1009.jpgdx10010.jpgdx10011.jpg

Wow! As the listening mileage grows, all I can say is that I'm very impressed, and get a better idea of what my W5000's really are capable of.

dx10012.jpgdx10013.jpgdx10014.jpgdx10015.jpg

The DX100 is giving me the best sound quality I've ever heard with my headphones. My first true audiophile experience.

dx10016.jpgdx10017.jpgdx10018.jpgdx10019.jpg

The user interface takes some getting used to, but one gets the hang of it after a while. I've disabled all the applications but the music player of course. This reduces interferences and optimizes battery life.

dx10020.jpgdx10021.jpgdx10022.jpgdx10023.jpg

I'll post more in-depth impressions of actual musical comparisons eventually, but so far I can notice more depth in the sound, more impact, the power delivered is adequate, the treble extends higher and ever so smoothly, though still crystal clearly, without fatigue; bass goes lower too, while remaining tight and articulate, and I will hear no more "W5000's are bass-light": if you think that you either didn't bend the metal bands enough to get a good seal, either you won't admit you're a bass-head, or they weren't amped adequately! Since the thundering bass you get here when its called for is tremendous! I was already quite happy with what the EH1 or RH1 could deliver, but this is even more impressive. More bass impact would be too much.

Mid-range is beautiful, nothing special to add; will do more piano listening for this aspect.

Sound-stage, imaging are bettered too; instrument separation is further much improved.

Now, the details, those are amazing! I get so much more out of the music; typical comment, but indeed, I now hear things in the recordings much better or that I hadn't even noticed before!

All these qualities on the DX100 brings you closer to the live sound!

I'm very, very pleased with my purchase.

Disclaimer: You've noticed I'm only a budding audiophile, haven't had other high-end gear to compare to, so please take my comments with a pinch of salt. Just MHO, YMMV.

N.B.: User interface rating I have bumped up a notch since my first rating, since with firmware version 1.1.7 and proper ID3 tagging, album art & tags show up nicely, and the UI operation has become a little snappier.

N.B. #2: Support of 64GB µSDXC confirmed. After formatting to FAT32 it is perfectly recognized by the DX100. 120GB of flash memory at hand, ain't that nice! I will be adding more of these flash memory cards over time since my Norêve carrying case conveniently has a few slots for them, but moreso because those high definition albums do take an awful lot of space up...

N.B. #3: With iBasso's v.1.2.7 FW update for the DX100, the user interface has been much improved: nearly all my albums' cover art is showing up, the battery management is better in that the standby mode is effective, so that it doesn't drain as fast as it used to, and believe it or not, the sound quality has moved up yet another notch!

Thus, I have bumped up the UI rating by another half star!

*After more than six months of very intensive use which translate into a few scratches and dents, I made use of iBasso's excellent customer service & cheap spare parts catalogue & ordered a new backplate, and that one is impeccable. With a new display protection —that I got for free— I also ordered two extra mains adapters: one for in the backpack & one for at my other most visited location. All this was promptly shipped and delivered just as quickly as the DX100 itself via DHL.

P.S.: A few user interface images that show CUE file support:

Pros: Remarkable SQ, plenty of power, plays pretty much any format

Cons: not cheap, buggy software, shortish battery life

Bought as part of my upward spiral into high quality portable audio. I wanted something to surpass my Cowon J3 and the DX100 certainly achieves that.

The sound quality is better than anything I've ever heard. This is not, of course, an exhaustive list, nor do I have any home audio to compare with. I'm not really an audiophile but I listen to 2-3 hours a day while I commute. With this and my ACS T1 custom IEMs, the rest of the world just vanishes into the background. It's just as well I get off at the end of the line or I'd miss my stop every day.

The interface has not been well received, but coming from a J3, it's certainly no worse, and as someone who's been using Android for a while now, I found it pretty straightforward. I'm getting about 8 hours battery life, which is safe for two days of my use, but does mean I need to charge much more often than the J3.

How good this would be for you depends on what you want. My only need is to listen to good quality music, one album at a time, for as long as my journey takes. The DX100 has given me more pleasure whilst fulfilling my simple needs that I thought possible. It wasn't cheap, but I've found it to be worth every penny.

Pros: SQ...SQ...SQ

Cons: Bugs everywhere,up, down...

So after some long waiting I finally received my Ibasso DX100.
Its the first DAP from Ibasso, and I think it has done  a very good one.
I will not review the SQ of the DX100, not until I get it burned for some  time, for now I will talk about the UI .
Its an android gingerbread in its simplest form. The Screen is, well lets say its adequate, but not build for video, reading your emails or surfing, as it made my eyes soar after couple of minutes (as coming from the Galaxy Note with is SAMOLED and the Sony Z).
It has a good, no, brilliant music player, sound wise. But it has many, many bugs and one of the main it hangs/stalls a lot. Where as the Poweramp player behaves completely the opposite. It is fast detects all the ID-tags correctly (which the stock player doesn't and even doesn't show the Album covers) Album art covers are shown in Poweramp, names , titles all are correctly labeled, and it sounded excellent, so If you hate the lag and are frustrated with all the bugs of the main stock music player, you have the Poweramp option, but take note as the kernel of this version of android is limited to 16/44.1, whereas the DX100 player, bypass this limitation to play true 192/24, and what a sound. A Head-fi member (spkrs01) found a way to fix the Album covers for the stock player, but this is only a temp fix, and this and many bugs  or missing features should be addressed by Ibasso, as a DAP made mainly/solely for music should fix these basic bugs.
If you want a media player (a complete package as with a video player, photo viewer, browser.etc...the Sony Z or even the Cowon J3/Ipod is a much better option).
Sorry to tell you , but the DX100 is only a pure , magnificent music player, and that's all. The Sound by time is changing, opening...but this is for later.
Ibasso should release a manual (at least a downloadable version) for its stock player as for how to change the chines written menus, that can not be changed!
Many might face this problem with multiple language settings. First open the keyboard, then keep pressing the Chinese character button in the Left side of the keyboard until a menu pops , 2 options select input method and android keyboard settings, chose the select input method, you will have 2 options, a Chinese written option and the android keyboard, chose the android keyboard..voila. but for my language fonts are still showing the English fonts, although I changed it to the other language .
What is most irritating , as I have seen in the threads, as for me. why the +/- volume rocker stops working when the screen is locked???? Whats the use of this volume key? this is the first android that had this  strange bug, and when you change the volume the volume indicator that pops on the screen, freezes all other touch functions and you have to wait until it disappears..So you see it has lots and lots of bugs, but what makes up for all of this is the SQ, and what an SQ....Continued
iBasso DX100 Reference DAP
By:

64GB + 64GB µSDXC* 24Bit/192kHz Android DAP *64GB µSDXC supported only if formatted to FAT32 ES Sabre ES9018 DAC Powerful +/-8.5V headphone amp Headphone outputs: 6.3mm & 3.5mm Digital outputs: 3.5mm optical & 3.5mm coaxial Analogue output: 3.5mm 256-step digital volume control Gain: 3-position switch Output power: 2x 125mW 2V (32Ω) with no gain (Lo), 2x 245mW 2.8V (32Ω) for +3dB gain (Mid), 2x 83mW 5V (300Ω) for +8.5dB (Hi) Sampling rate converter Audio codec support: FLAC, ALAC, WAV, AIFF, AAC, WMA, APE & MP3 Data transmission: µ-USB

HDP-R10