Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2

HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2

Pros: powerful bass

Cons: the design is not for everyone

These headphones have powerful bass (comes with a lot of ommph) which is good and lets honest if your interested in these earphones main reason will be for the bass :D

For listening to music such as Pop and dubstep these are very good as the beat/bass just comes alive.

For rock I found them good but not excellent.

For classical and new age music its OK I found them a little too fun and bright and somewhat disorientates the presentation.

Jazz and blues again I find them OK but there's sometimes too much bass and affect the song overall negatively.

All in all fun headphones and if you mainly listen to Pop and Dubstep (or anything bass heavy) then these are perfect.

Thanks for reading :L3000:

Pros: Well controlled impressive bass. Excellent treble, resolution, and transparency. Wide soundstage. Comfortable to wear.

Cons: The midrange may not be to everyones liking. Cable is a bit noisy.

(This review is dedicated to Music_4321 for his outstanding contributions on Head-Fi)

Before I begin I would like to mention that I have no ties to HiSoundAudio or the headphone industry in any way. I’m just a hobbyist who loves music and IEMs.

No doubt about it; this is a great sounding in-ear monitor. Definitely hi fidelity! Not just relative to its price but also in comparison to my most expensive IEMs costing more than US $1000 each. However, this is not a neutral reference IEM but instead tuned for a very enjoyable, pleasant and non fatiguing sound and it manages to be so without ever becoming boring or dull. Plus, this is the only IEM in my collection that is able to do some serious justice to my most sub-bass demanding tracks, like for example “Tubular World” from the album “The Songs of Distant Earth” by Mike Oldfield. As a matter of fact, this track can sound a bit boring with my reference phones. However, the Wooduo 2 is not a bass monster. The bass is well controlled, never muddy or bloated.The treble sparkle is just right without any harshness. Overall, this is a clear but not overly bright sounding IEM, and it has a touch of airiness to it as well. The resolution and transparency is excellent. If you prefer a wide soundstage the Wooduo 2 will not disappoint and instrument separation is superb. The Wooduo 2 is vented and probably helps the sound to flow effortlessly. It should be noticed that the impact of the bass is somewhat volume dependent. At low volumes the bass may pass as close to "normal", at normal volumes it is very deep and present (as described above) whereas at really high volumes the bass does sound a bit overwhelming, however still very impressive.

Sonically, the Sennheiser CX-300 IEM (approx. US $30)  - which is also considered a very bass capable IEM and one that I’ve used and enjoyed for many years - is utterly outclassed by the Wooduo 2.

In comparison to the included olive shaped tips – which are quite excellent - I recommend the T-400 Comply foam tips. All other included tips were too small for my ears. As expected, the Comply foam tips improve the isolation, but more importantly facilitate a deep fit which improves transparency, resolution, imaging, and instrument separation. Not all IEMs benefit from a deeper fit but the Wooduo 2 does. Also, the Comply foam tips add a tad more treble sparkle. I’d expected the opposite, but evidently not so. A word of caution tough; a too deep fit will make the bass and midrange somewhat anemic. You may need to do a little bit of experimenting to find the perfect insertion depth.

Midrange instruments and vocals projected in the center of the soundstage tend to sound a bit recessed but crisp. This gives the strings of string instruments a clear (but not unpleasant) bite. However vocals can sound a bit lacking in body, perhaps even a bit unnatural, but not at all to the extent that it’s a problem. However, in my experience this characteristic diminishes with burn in.

Midrange coherency is not perfect and can be noticed with center stage solo instruments, for example an acoustic guitar. It can on occasion give an impression that upper midrange and lower midrange notes come from two different guitars with slightly different resonant bottoms. This may sound as a serious problem, but it really isn’t. It’s really just noticed if you have trained your hearing, focus on coherency, and have a more coherently sounding IEM to compare with, such as for example the FitEar ToGo 334, which costs approximately US $1.350. Again, this characteristic seems to diminish with burn in

Instrumental music (Kraftwerk, Jean Michel Jarre, Yello, Mike Oldfield, etc.) and the Wooduo 2 is a marvelous match. Opera, chamber music and symphonic music and the Wooduo 2 goes very well together too. Most, but not all concertos sound perfectly fine as well. In my opinion, music having a fast, throbbing and dominating bass quickly becomes annoying with this IEM.

The Wooduo 2 is small, light-weight and very comfortable to wear and the build quality is more than adequate. Unfortunately the cable is somewhat noisy (microphonic) when worn in front. However, it can also be comfortably worn behind the ears despite its cable being flat. This practically eliminates all cable noise. To make the cable stay in place behind the ears I’ve placed a rubber band just above the Y-split. The rubber band can then be adjusted by rolling it up and down on the cable. It may not look so great but it actually works pretty well and better than I thought it would.

Now - a week later - I’ve found an even better working and better looking solution by using a piece of plastic-wire, the kind that is commonly used to wind up cables in packaging for electronics.

I’m afraid the build quality isn’t quite what I felt it was initially. While changing tips I held on to the rosewood part and it separated from the nozzle part. However, I could easily clue it back with a small brush using some “Loctite Super Glue”. Fortunately it had no negative impact on the sound. Anyway, when changing tips I recommend holding it in the nozzle part.

I believe the 250 (approx.) hours of burning in has had positive effects overall. The midrange feels more natural now, the slight coherency issue seems to be gone, and the bass is even more controlled.

For the price this IEM is a no brainer that I highly recommend, especially for those tracks that crave a deep, impactful, yet well controlled bass.

Thank you for reading this review. If in any way it was useful to you, please give it a “thumbs up” or otherwise let me know. Thank you!

Pros: Strong pronounced bass, great midrange, extended highs

I know there have been a few reviews of these kicking around, and I thought I would offer my views on them.

Foreword:

I'm a production manager, but focus mostly on sound engineering and installations. I install and tune a lot of P.A equipment, and also mix live acts. My work environments consist mainly of:

- live venues,
- concert halls,
- bars
- nightclubs.
- festivals
- events

I've taken a huge liking to headphones - IEM's in particular. I like the idea of having my own personal PA system that I can take with me anywhere. With Rockbox being in such advanced stages, and such great low-impedance portable amps coming out, you can really seem to get any sound signature you wish out of a portable rig.

Enter, the HiSoundAudio WooDuo 2.

HiSoundAudio is a Chinese based company, responsible for products such as the Studio V portable DAP, which has been recieving fairly warm reviews around forums such as head-fi.

Packaging and accessories:

A pretty regular brown cardboard box, with a description on the back:

The tip selection is pretty healthy, and it came with a solid storage case:

And it's also compatible with my T-400 comply tips, which I personally preferred, but more on that later.

It also came with this fish. Possibly for cable management. Hilarious!

Build quality:

Excellent. Great flat-ribbon cable, that produces little microphonics (Less than the Thinksound line, but more than the Westone cables do). The wood looks great, too. The nozzle is a perfect fit for the T-400 comply tips (not pictured), so there isn't much more I could ask for, really. The jack is solid, and the entire set is incredibly lightweight.

Feel/comfort:

Super comfortable – as much as I hate to say it, but for me personally, these are more comfortable than:

Westone 3

Westone UM3X

Thinksound MS-01.

Honestly, I'm not sure where it comes from. It surprised me, comfort isn't something I usually notice with IEM's, it either usually “works” or doesn't. I will put this down to the lightweight ribbon cable. The units barely even feel like they are in my ears.

This makes them a perfect companion for exercising, at the gym or jogging (if that's what you're into...)

I know it is an odd way to give a summary, but if I had to describe the sound signature in two words, they would be “home theatre”.

Bass: Warm, driving, strong, layered and emphasised. Definitely bass-heavy, depending on what tips you use. To me, this is what IEM bass should feel like. I prefer a fun sound, I personally don't like listening to flat-response gear for fun. The bass in this IEM is heaving in quantity, but it's so smooth, nicely textured and warm that it's definitely not unwelcome. I don't find it creeping too far into the midrage. It responds incredibly well to electronic music. Synthetic bass seems to resonate perfectly with the 9mm driver. I honestly can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish that my Westone 3's had bass like this.

Mids: Forward, warm, accurate. I find this is the one aspect of the IEM that isn't coloured. They have an almost “realistic” feel. Some would imagine that purely by the agressive characteristics of the bass, that these units would produce a midrage that is muddy or recessed – this is simply untrue. The accurate, lush mids are very revealing of any tracks that have a lower bitrate.The lower-mids are slightly more forward than the mid-highs – this may contribute to the “warm” feel of these IEMs. As there is little to no stereo-crosstalk of these IEM's, the mids are definitely contributing to the sound-stage. They are incredibly detailed, and will bring out plenty of nuance in any of your well recorded/mastered files.

Highs: Very tip-dependant. I found these IEM's on-the-whole to be very tip dependant. In any respect, the highs have a definite “sparkle” to them, as the box blurb would depict. No evident roll-off, and some definite emphasis here. Not enough to call the sound-signature “U” shaped - I feel that the signature is actually a lot more complicated than that. Whilst some may experience sibilance with an incorrect seal, using the correct tip will eliminate this, and be very rewarding. Again, I found that the medium olive tips gave me a sufficient seal, but the complies were perfect. The combination of the mids and highs will contribute to the overall fantastic level of detail and naunce in these IEMs. Be prepared for a very revealing experience.

Overall subjective conclusion of the sound: Very engaging, and intimate. Definitely comparable to a home theatre rather than a home studio – but that's exactly what some people prefer from dynamic IEMs. Great warmth, a bass-heads dream, but with forward, detailed mids, extended, crisp highs, and a decent sparkle to boot. Probably some of the best detail, instrument separation and sound-stage that I've found using a single dynamic driver IEM.

Conclusion:

Anyone looking at the Dr. Dre lineup of IEM's should definitely consider these instead. The bass is amazing, and very forward – but without a muddy mid-section, or rolled-off highs. Great looks, lightweight, great comfort, and as many others have said, are definitely cheaper than they should be, which is all you could really want from an IEM in this price bracket.

I picked these up from Noisy Motel in Melbourne (http://www.noisymotel.com/product.asp?ProductID=505), and are currently selling for $129.

Pros: Abundant and punchy bass yet balanced and impressive mids/highs, comfort, microphonics, sharp looks

Cons: Bass may be fatiguing for some, wrong earbuds if you want 100% true fidelity

One word summary: FUN

To be honest, I had never heard of HiSoundAudio before I stumbled on these.  I'm very happy with my Klipsh X10's and Sennheiser IE8's, but I'm always looking for new and unique flavors of earbuds and these Wooduo2's caught my attention.  I don't consider myself a bass-head but I enjoy a little extra on the low end; all the reviews on these HiSounds were praising the bass, spotted a new pair of these for $80 and took a chance.

I've been using these IEMs for a couple weeks, and I haven't even looked at my IE8's or X10's.  I appreciate accurate reproduction and instrument separation as much as the next audiophile, but sometimes the typical flat/natural hifi sound can become...predictable, almost.  These wooden devils remind you why you first got into music in the first place...FUN  The bass is as good as advertised...depth, range, punch, balance, everything you want on the low end from a pair of earbuds.  In my opinion, this is the most bass you can provide and still have a balanced and enjoyable experience.   10% stronger and I'm not sure I would like them as much.

I listen to everything save country/pop, all genres are interesting on these Wooduo2's, but electronic, dance, hip hop, and R&B really shine through these bad boys.  I must have said "wow" a dozen times when I first plugged them in and browsed through my library.

They are very comfortable, they seal well and easily (for my ears), the microphonics are very good even without the clip, the cable is tangle resistant, the build quality feels solid.

Really the only negative thing I could say about these is that the bass might actually be too awesome.  I like bass and I consider these borderline-fatiguing bass.  Klipsch X10s you can listen to dawn to dusk and forget they're there (besides the horrible microphonics, but that's another review), these HiSounds, I dunno maybe not.  These are not for everyone.

If you listen to mostly hip-hop and/or R&B, do yourself a favor and skip the Fashion Statement By Dre products and pick up a pair of these.  These still look awesome and they sound three times as good for a third of the price.  Don't follow the herd.

Now if you listen to mostly electronic music (like me), congratulations, you just found your new favorite earbuds :D

Incredible value for the price, highly recommended.

Pros: Wonderfully controlled and powerful bass, sweet sweet mids, gorgeous treble, great looks

Cons: Difficult fit, not for every genre of music, price

I used to be sure that I am not a basshead. My favorite IEMs for the longest time were RE-0, my favorite headphones were (and still are) various variations of ATH "sweet treble" sound signature, and in general, my favorite music genres do not demand monster bass. All that being said, I am a curious person and for the longest time I contemplated getting a pair of real basshead phones. Enter the Wooduo.

Accessories: lots of tips (including triple and double flange), shellcase, shirt clip, cable winder. I would have liked to have more tips on choice, since none of the included ones fit me very well. Still, much better accessory set then some of the competition.

Design and build: better looking then on photos, cable is surprisingly usable (soft and with weak microfonics), wood and metal iems so far seem very sturdy, the only part that I am not too happy with is paper filter on the nozzle, which keeps ungluing itself whenever I change tips. These IEMs are like a hot readhead on your arm - everyone looks at you.

Comfort and isolation: Well, it turns out that my ear channel is way to small for the nozzle size - I still have problems finding good fit (ended up using some generic soft silicone biflanges), though when I do find it, they are secure enough that I can run with them. Their nozzles are (IMO) humongous and I would probably be better of if I had Ferengi ears, instead of normal human ones. Isolation is kinda average, but really, it depends on the tips used and fit. With double flanges, I can use them without problem in public transport, and really wouldn't want to jog with them on a busy street.

Sound quality:

Well, I am one of those weird people who don't detect any burn-in changes. By the time I feel like I know the phones well enough to review them, I really don't remember exactly how they sounded before a few hundred hours of listening. On the other hand, Wooduos blew my mind the first time I got a good fit, and finally gave me an example of huge, powerful, pulsing, precise and effortless bass. These really *are* the kings of bass. Listening to Massive Attack's Angel was unlike any headphone experience ever before, with visceral bass that was more felt in my chest then heard in my ears, with width, depth and texture I never knew existed outside of a concert. Listening to Mezzanine was like rediscovering new layers of meaning in a book you have read so many many times... Chemical Brothers Surrender was a similar experience, but also one where I discovered that Wooduos have very sweet and pleasant treble, with no sibilance that I could detect. Next I tried listening to Telemann's Trumpet concertos, just for fun, and my mind was blown away again - this minimalistic baroque music sounded better on Wooduos then on my GR07, or RE-0! At that point, I fell in love with them and there goes the objectivity for the rest of this review.

I listened to them for a few hours every day (during work commute) for a few months, and though I found their weak points, they are still one of my favorite pair of IEMs, incredibly fun and pleasant sounding with the right kind of music. So what kind of music are they good for? From my experience, they go very well with classical and baroque music, they make harpsichord, violin and trumpet sound just gorgeous. They go well with some forms of electronic music, but surprisingly not with all - Wooduos for me don't have V-shaped sound signature, but rather flat one for mids and treble, and they reveal flaws in music far more easily then I imagined it would be. For example, I like 60's and 70s underground latin disco music, and frankly, it sucks on Wooduos. Most of the modern overproduced rock music also sound pretty bad on Wooduos. On the other hand, songs that fill out the whole spectrum, from bass to treble, sound wonderful. Female vocals sound like heaven, acoustic music sounds awesome, in fact, any song which likes a bit "darker" sound, sounds good on Wooduos.

Conclusion:

Addictively fun par of IEMs. Makes a basshead out of people who really aren't. Difficult fit for people with small ear channels. Surprisingly forward mids and treble, not a V-shaped sound signature at all. Revealing of flaws with badly produced/encoded music. Easy to drive. Price was for me a bit too high, but then again, I know of no better bass IEMs up to 200+$.

Pros: Powerful but well controlled bass, Nice selection of tips and accessories, Musical and engaging sound signature

Cons: Fit is finicky, Mild driver flex, May be too bassy for some

Introduction

First, I’d like to thank the folks at HiSoundAudio for sending me a sample of the Wooduo 2 in ear monitors for review.

HiSoundAudio is a Chinese based headphone and earphone brand I came across on Head-Fi, much like HiFiMan and VSONIC. After reading up on the company and its offerings, I was quite intrigued when I came across the Wooduo 2 IEMs, which were described by some as “true basshead IEMs”. Being the self-professed basshead I am, I was admittedly excited to give these a whirl. Upon receiving them, I couldn’t help but notice the phrase “Unbeatable Sound Quality” in large bold red letters written across the package. An audacious claim, to be sure, so, does it live up to the lofty expectations its packaging creates? Read on to find out.

Wooduo 2 9

Accessories: These come with seven pairs of silicone tips including a set of triple flange tips, two sets of biflanges in small and medium and standard round single flange tips. In addition, HisoundAudio includes a branded shirt clip, a bright blue cable winder and a zippered clamshell carry case.

Design and Build Quality: Made of African rosewood with metal nozzles, short rubber strain reliefs, and a bright red flat cable. Normally I’m not a fan of flat cables but these were unobtrusive and more flexible than many others I’ve encountered.

Comfort and Isolation: Being straight barrel IEMs, they are easy to insert but I did find them to be rather finicky when it came to the fit. Without a good fit, these are prone to a bit of driver flex I’ve come to expect from wooden IEMs. Personally, I wasn’t able to get a perfect seal with any of the silicone tips and ended up using a pair of Monster foam SuperTips. With the foam tips, achieving a perfect seal was much easier and isolation was slightly above average for a dynamic IEM and microphonics were mostly negligible.

Wooduo 2 8

Sound Quality

Burn in: These were burned in for about 100 hours prior to review and I did notice that the bass tightened (very) slightly and some slight sibilance I noticed in the upper mids disappeared.

Let’s get right to it. The Wooduo 2 is capable of some savagely powerful bass. I’m not kidding or exaggerating. This is about the biggest and most bombastic bass I’ve heard next to those cars that sometimes roll by at two in the morning, blasting some song or another with the sub turned up so high the car threatens to shake itself apart with each thunderous bass note.

This is the kind of bass bassheads dream about. It’s rich, detailed, extends about as low as I can hear and has enough power to knock loose some fillings. Okay, maybe that’s an exaggeration but against the Atrio M5, Miles Davis Tribute, these are the clear winners in terms of sheer quantity of bass, even if they aren’t quite as detailed as those two.

Wooduo 2 6

All that bass does come with a cost, however, and much of that cost comes from the midrange. The mids are recessed, though not quite as much as I would’ve expected given the magnitude of the bass. The midrange presentation is expectedly warm and the low end does manage to creep into the lower mids somewhat but not offensively so. Micro detail is still good, on par with the Thinksound MS01 and DUNU Tai-Chi and nearly on the level of the RE-ZERO. Vocals sound a bit off in some cases but not necessarily unpleasantly so. Despite the huge bass, there is a nice amount of clarity and spaciousness present in the midrange and the Wooduo 2 does an impressive job of separating the bass from the rest of the sound signature.

Moving up, the highs of the W2 are surprisingly clear and detailed. They’re not really sparkly or bright but they are delicate and articulate. Treble is slightly emphasized over the mids but not to the point that I’d call these V-shaped, like the Moshi Vortex, for example, presenting a take on the high end that’s both well extended and decently linear in nature.

What we end up with is a presentation that’s slightly on the dark side of the spectrum and definitely warm in tone but not excessively so. These aren’t the most transparent sounding IEMs but they’re obviously not intended to be either. Linearity was clearly not the target of the Wooduo 2 and the result is a sound signature that’s clearly bass biased but mostly even handed. It doesn’t present detail on the level of my best IEMs but its sound signature is, at least for me, incredibly fun and addictive.

Wooduo 2 3

Conclusion

For the MSRP of $129, the HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2 is a great deal for bassheads who want the absolute biggest bass for the money and others who appreciate a warm and musical sound that sacrifices pure accuracy for an intentionally colored and enjoyable sound signature. Is its sound quality as “unbeatable” as the packaging prominently advertises? No. That’s not to say it isn’t good or even great, but I’ve heard better. Around the MSRP, there are some darn good IEMs, like the RE-400 that are better all-rounders but the Wooduo 2 is likely the more consumer friendly product with its bass driven sound signature, warm sound and clean presentation.

This review was re-posted from my site Musical Musings

HiSoundAudio Wooduo 2

Wooduo 2 - unprecedented earphone with balanced bass An audio fanatic's dream is to have an earphone that not only provides punchy bass but also has clear mids and sparkling highs. The Wooduo 2 can make your dreams come true. The bass of Wooduo 2 is deep and detailed, it never interferes with the other frequencies, and there's no sign of muddy sound. The mids are very clear and layered. The highs are extended and detailed. The Wooduo 2 has an extremely wide soundstage with incredible sound density. These characteristics deliver the reality of complex musical texture. Wooduo 2 is an unprecedented IEM, which can cater for all genres of music. Impactful bass and dynamic and engaging transient sound make it an unbeatable earphone. The stunning African rosewood with colorful cable displays a unique personal character. The Wooduo 2 is the perfect earphone, combined with excellent sound and stylish looks.