Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Grado SR60i Headphones

Grado SR60i Headphones

Rated #17 in Over-Ear

Pros: clear and bright

Cons: Piercing, harsh, fatiguing, soundstage like IEMs

This review is an unbiased opinion.

This post is coming from a consumer foremost as I can't really call myself an audiophile yet. With that said, there are definitely some things wrong with these headphones. First of all, they are really harsh which makes them uncomfortable for listening. I use headphones to relax, not to be keyed up which also means I can't imagine wearing them to sleep. I have to resort to EQing which isn't recommended.

They also leak sound although not really a con for open ear cans. But for casual listeners who don't have many headphones, these are impractical, secondary headphones. You can't wear em' in your living room cause of the TV, not in the bus cause the driving sounds will make you insane. Even light conversations will spoil your listening experience. Which means more money spent on closed cans or IEMs.

>So most electronic music and modern genres aren't really enjoyable with these because I listen to ambient, minimal, IDM, experimental, etc where every note counts. And the treble in these genres will kill you. Period.

>They sound very good with older genres and acoustic, organic music genres like folk. And also certain songs that are rock. I also tried classical just because of the reviews and they do sound good.

I hate to spoil the Grado fan club but the reviews here were the thing that compelled me to buy them without trying. Turns out "forward, fun, and agressive" meant annoying and harsh to me. I wouldn't had gotten these at any price. Not saying these are bad headphones but they just happen to be bad for me. So If anybody wants to buy them off me just say so.

Edit:

Guys take it easy, sorry I can't conform to all of your views but I can't change my opinion just because some of you guys don't like it. I'm quite taken aback by all the responses, I thought this place would be more open minded. I think its necessary for everybody's opinion to be contributed and considered for a product especially for headphones. I think most people like me use this website as a buying guide and they need to know what the Grado SR60i sounds like with electronic music.

I didn't have the chance to try them before buying and I fell for the hype because I didn't read enough realistic reviews, so I'm trying to put out what is lacking. BTW they did burn-in for awhile and the sound did become a tad less dramatic, not as much as I would had hope though.

Still the buying experience wasn't that bad, I'm sure I needed to know what Grado sound was sooner or later. I now wish I bought the Alessandro MS1i because "based on the reviews", :rolleyes: they are a perfect purchase for people who like the Grado sound but can't stand the aggressiveness. I accept that they don't suit me personally but they are good for most circumstances so I'm rating it 3.5 to be objective while sticking to my point of view. I may grow to like them more, who knows?

Pros: Awesome sound, vintage look, don't require an amp, ability to upgrade

Cons: Uncomfortable until worn in, leak lots of sound

When my 3rd set of Bose noise-canceling ear buds broke, I decided to look into a different type of headphone. The first site I stumbled upon was CNET, and for a couple of hours I poured over their headphone reviews. I eventually decided on the Grado SR60i because of their low price and the high regard that everyone held for them. I drove to the nearest audio store knowing which pair I was going to purchase, however I also tried a couple other Grado models that were on display (mostly the 80 and 225). In all honesty, aside from the sound difference over-ear headphones provide, I couldn't really tell a difference from the ear buds I had been using for years and years. Despite my initial reaction, I still bought the 60's, and headed home.

My first listen with my new 60's was even more of a let down as I realized just how much the sound leaked. With my girlfriend across the room, I couldn't turn the volume up beyond 2 or 3 levels on my Macbook Pro. I was dismayed; not only was the sound not mind blowing, but I had to be in a room alone to be able to listen to the phones at a reasonable volume. Instead of giving up on the Grados however, I again ignored my initial reaction and kept the phones.

Let me fast forward to June 21. I was sitting on my couch after work, zoning out on the internet, with my Grados on and my itunes blaring away. By this time, the 60's were more comfortable, but I had still yet to fall in love with the sound they produced. Then, all of a sudden,it happened: The song Hold My Finger by Sikth came on, and I had to stop reading whatever I was skimming on the internets because of what was going on in my ears. As the guitars switched back and forth between the left and right side and the bass noodled in the background and the cymbals crashed, I realized that I could hear it all, and not only could I hear everything but it was clear and warm and bright and a million other descriptions.

I have no idea if this sudden epiphany of sound was the result of burning the phones in, or of my ears getting used to the open-on-ear design, or what, but whatever the case, I definitely love these headphones now. People on this site and others love to use hyperbole to describe certain headphones, and I think I am getting a little bit closer to speaking hyperbolically about these 60s.

Despite the leaking sound, these headphones are the s*** (in a good way). Oh, and I also found out that they are easily modded...as if I needed another reason to like them!

Also, on a side and closing note, Sikth is an incredible band and really showcases the ability of these headphones, check em out if you have any affinity for rock that dabbles in metal and weirdness.

Pros: Bass, Clarity, Impact, Value

Cons: Mids are a bit scooped

I bought these as an alternative to my UE-11 pro's.  Truth be told, my expectations weren't very high.  After owning two sets of custom iem's and two universal iem's, I wasn't expecting to be floored to say the least.  The first day I used them, they were overly bright.  I was planning on returning them, but decided to keep them for a week and decide then.  Over the course of a few days the treble lost its shrillness, and the bass came into its own.  I was worried that they would become muddy over time, but they have settled very nicely.  I am very content with my purchase, and would recomend these to anyone who wants a great set of headphones without spending more than thier ipod.

Pros: Light, supra-aural, retro design, thick cable.

Cons: Y link is a little flimsy, not as comfortable as some other headphones I've tried, namely Sennheisers.

I got these from a local shop for SGD120, about USD99.

Rewritten the whole review.

First impressions: These headphones are meh. A little overrated, doesn't carry bass very well.

Current impressions: Great headphones for dynamic rock with lots of guitar, drums and forward vocals.

I have modded my Grado SR60i a little. I had the plastic grill and button removed, a painstaking task, but well worth the time and effort. I have quarter-modded the comfies that the stock SR60 comes with and I have also removed the white cloth that covers the driver protectors.

Also poked 2 holes on each cup to increase the bass.

Some pics to illustrate my point

2011-09-15_23-04-29_48.jpg

Q-mod with cloth removed.

By cutting the bit of foam off the comfies and removing the bit

of white cloth that covers the driver protector, I've made the drivers

slightly more prone to dirt, dust and hair

but

since there's less material between the driver and your ears, music

sounds a little cleaner and brighter overall.

2011-09-15_23-04-42_265.jpg

Grill and button removed. Grado ring missing on the right.

Anything that covers the opening is an obstruction to the airflow.

If you cup your hands over the chamber opening, music sounds

a little trapped and muffled.

So I removed the grill and button. There's not a huge difference in

sound but every little change can make you go from liking your

Grados to loving them.

End result: Less obstruction - clearer sound.

2011-09-15_23-08-06_382.jpg

Two holes poked.

SR60s aren't really known for being bassy. They can produce

that little thump, but they're far from being bass monsters.

I've always thought that poking holes in there would cause

an increase in bass quantity which would screw up the other

frequencies but I decided to poke one on each side just for

the lulz.

While it did tame the other frequencies a little (imo), it didn't

make the overall sound too muddy. The SR60 still sounds

a little harsh on some songs but poking the holes gave music

a little more body.

All this is very subjective, what works for me might not work for

you, vice versa. Out of curiosity, I poked another hole in each of

the cups, so that's 2 holes each.

At first I thought the music sounded a little muddy and congested,

but nope. I feel that 2 holes is the sweet spot for me. But to be fair,

my FiiO E7 separated the musical instruments better than my onboard

sound card.

Without the E7, music sounded a little bloated and congested.

For those with a poor onboard sound, then an amp/dac like the E7

will really make the SR60s shine.

Comfort is still an issue. Clamping force out of the box is straight up

overpowered. I couldn't wear the SR60 for more than an hour straight.

A couple of guys suggested that I stretch out the headband since the

metal is quite ductile. That helped. The comfies pads are made of

some low quality material that's quite uncomfortable.

It looks good alright, but I prefer the Senn HD414 pads for comfort.

Right now I can wear the SR60 on my head for 2 - 3 hours at a time.

They still hurt a little, but nothing too unbearable.

Burn-in

I'm not a true believer of burn-in.

Comfort improved over time but I haven't had the Grados long enough to see if the headphones suddenly turn magical. Bought this roughly a month ago.

All in all

Great for alt. rock and indie stuff.

They're worth the price. Definitely.

Some song recommendations

The Killers - This River is Wild (Sam's Town)

The Killers - All These Things That I've Done (Hot Fuss)

Blue October - Into the Ocean

Pros: price, bass, clarity, durability, design

Cons: sound leak

Let me start off by saying I've been a competitive PC gamer for a quite a while now. I never really cared about sound quality. I've had plenty of overpriced headsets labeled as "gaming headsets" from companies such as Razer, Steeleries, Logitech, etc. Never actually listened to a good pair of headphones.

with some research I found the Grado SR60i's. I went to J&R and bought them. I was so confident that they would sound good that I didn't even try them out before I bought them. listened to a variety of music on the subway ride home and I was blown away by the quality. I was not aware that music could sound so good.

I couldn't be happier. i'll be content with these for a while. best $80 i've ever spent. they sound great and look good, too.

Pros: Comfort, sound, value

Cons: Non-detachable cable, plastic build, cable is a bit too long for portable use

The SR60i headphones are the entry level headphones in the 'SR' line-up. They retail for a recommended retail price of $79. So, without any more delays, let's discuss these headphones in further detail.

In terms of accessories, these are pretty scarce. You get the headphones, and a snap-on quarter inch adapter. That's it.

Build/Design - Now, if a regular person looked at these headphones, they would probably say that they are ugly and bulky. Well, in a way, they would be right and also wrong. The headphones are made out of plastic and the headband is made of fake leather (my assumption). Design-wise, these headphones have a retro, old school look to them. A lot of people have said that these headphones were their first pair of 'real' headphones, and that is the case with me as well. The cables are double entry, and are joined by a very weird looking Y-connector. At the end of the plug, we have a standard 3.5mm jack that has a chunky enclosure, so you might run into some interference when plugging these headphones into portable players with cases on them.

Comfort - These headphones rest directly on your ears, and i find them incredibly comfortable. They have a slight amount of clamp so that they are stable on your head, but i find that it does not impact the comfort in any way.

Soundstage - Decent. These headphones are open, so anyone would think that soundstage would be a strong point of these. Well, it really isn't. As i said, it is decent, but not extremely wide. Instruments can sound mushed together at times, at least to my ears.

Bass - It is actually quite punchy. This was surprising to me because i generally think that low cost headphones have muddy, over the top bass performance, but not so with this pair of headphones. Rock music, which is what these headphones are suppose to sound really good with, is really quite enjoyable. This is really great for me because i listen to a lot of rock and metal music, so these definitely are pleasing to my ears.

Midrange - Vocals sound a tiny bit distant, but it is not drastic. They are still clear and you can hear the singer pretty well. If i made these headphones, i would have made the vocals a bit more prominent, but given that these are a low cost headphone, you can't expect a huge amount of vocal separation.

Treble - Detailed. It is, in my opinion, the strong point of these headphones. Rock music and a bunch of other genres sound lively, and quite energetic. I guess you could say that these headphones are bright sounding.

Conclusion - These are very good entry level headphones. For anyone who wants a good sounding low-cost headphone to add to their collection, i would check these out as soon as possible.

Pros: Aggresive, very good mids and highs, tight bass, clarity, instrument separation.

Cons: Can be very bright sounding for some people.

One of the best sounding headphones I have ever owned.

Pros: Bass balance. Detailed, punchy sound. Solid design and performer. Cool vintage look. Made in the USA.

Cons: Requires a good HP amp to drive properly. Recessed midrange. Ear pads a little uncomfortable. Longevity of ear pads.

Audiophile classic.

Pros: sound quality, design, easily mod'able

Cons: design,price in Europe, soundstage

I had SR225, MS1i & this SR60i

In Europe, MS1i probably have the best ratio price/performance but still they are not Grado.

I love its unique vintage design even though it looks cheap.

Grado sr60i are very good sounding, to me they are  perfect for rock/metal music but not only.

They are comfortable , light,but soundstage is very small for such an open headphones.

SR225 was better but was not night & day versus SR60i so price difference in Europe is not justified.

Newcomers, I would advice you to buy Grado 2nd hands here on Head fi, you'll get a SR225i for the price of a 80i new or 325i for the price of a SR125i in Europe.

Grado's are unique and I think everyone should have one in its collection

Grado SR60i Headphones

The SR60 has gained "legendary" status. The SR60 has received rave reviews from around the world and is the most commonly recommended headphone on the market today.PRODUCT FEATURES:Vented diaphragm;Non-resonant air chamber;Standard copper voice coil wire;Standard copper connecting cord;Mini plug with 1/4" adaptor.

BindingUnknown Binding
PublisherGrado
StudioGrado
TitleGrado Prestige Series SR-60i Padded Headphones
UPC182092000011
Special FeaturesWhat does the i stand for in the new SR60i from Grado? Improved, that's what! Yes, Grado has taken one of the world's most legendary headphones and taken it a few steps further. The new SR60i has an upgraded driver design, and they have enlarged and improved the mass distribution in the plastic housing. The way the SR60i's new driver and plastic housing move air and react to sound vibrations are now less affected by transient distortions. With the SR60i you will notice improved control of the up
Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Grado SR60i Headphones