Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Fischer Audio DBA-02

Fischer Audio DBA-02

Rated #36 in Universal Fit

Introduction

A warning before we even get to the review. This is kinda lengthy. I'm not sure how it got so long since it is just one product but yeah it is a bit long.

Fischer Audio has slowly gained popularity over the last year or so and there was quite a buzz on them but nothing interested me enough to go out and purchase them. That changed when LFF posted a review on the DBA 02 and after some waiting I got them :)

Also one thing I don't like is audio jargon but that's inevitable here. I know some of you may be new and don't understand some of the terms so this link should make it easier for you and imo is the best audiophile dictionary I have seen.

Disclaimer

I'll put this up in case anyone is questioning my motives here. I am reviewing this product to better help the community here and to help those who may be considering this product as a future purchase as well as increase the amount of information on these since there isn't that much. I bought this phone at retail cost plus shipping with my own money. I was not contacted by any Fischer Audio employee, reseller, affiliate or given any incentive to write a positive review or even write this review.

Background

All my previous gear should be listed in my profile or whatever it's called now. My signature is currently up to date. For those who do not know me my personal bias goes towards the neutral side of things and that kind of signature is what I enjoy. To put into perspective some of my favorite phones in the past have been the Head Direct RE0 and the Audio Technica CK10. Lastly my music preference goes to rock, pop, trance, asian pop and country in no particular order.

Review Gear

Impedance: 43 Ω
Cable: 1.3 m straight plug
Driver: Dual BA

Packaging

The package was nice and simple. It gets straight to the point and nothing fancy. Inside the package you get the DBA 02, a set of single flange tips, some overly large ear guides, documentation, and some pathetic piece of fabric that thinks it is a carry case but really is more of a wiping cloth that happens to have a large hole in it with some string in it.

Build Quality

My build quality standard is and will be the Audio Technica CK10 until I own another pair of phones that surpasses that phone's build quality. After owning these phones my standard remains unchanged.

These phones are well built but not the same standard as the CK10. You have your strain reliefs although the one near the housings should be longer, chin slider, straight plug (which I do not like) and your not so typical cable. Typically with earphones you get a cable that has some kind of sleeve on it but this one is different. It almost looks like a DIY cable. From the split down you have 3 cables being twisted (2 black, 1 white) and above the split there are 2 cables being twisted (1 black, 1 white). Although it is built well I would rather the cable be some kind of braid instead of just being twisted as I could see a potential problem. If something gets caught on it there is a chance for some heavy damage but that is pretty much only possible near the plug as there are tiny holes there since the twist isn't done as well. Also it does seem like the cable does retain a small amount of memory from the way it was stored although that doesn't affect anything as the cable is still soft and flexible. The housing are also built very well and it looks like a bigger brother of the ER6i.

edit: I forgot to mention but the Y split is around 4-5 inches lower than usual. The length from the split to the housings are about 4-5 inches longer compared to my CK10. Also the cable is a bit longer than what I am used to as typically they come in 1 m or so instead of 1.3 m. i guess it is because Russians are taller than Asians.

Preferred Tips

The DBA 02 come with a set of single flange tips. I tried the stock ones and for some reason I had some issues getting it to fit properly. Unfortunately the nozzle size are of the smaller type as almost all of my tips fit the larger nozzle size. Luckily when I originally bought the CK10 I bought some Shure triple flange tips which fit these phones. For the entire review I will be using these tips and nothing else as I don't really have an option and triple flange tips work for me.

Microphonics, Isolation and Comfort

Since these phones are meant to be worn over the ear along with its light and soft cables there are no noticeable microphonics unless you decide to start tapping the cable intentionally before it goes over the ear.

These are very comfortable. They rival the CK10 in comfort but isn't quite there especially the CK10 with sony hybrids on. They definitely do disappear in your ears and are surprisingly comfortable with triple flanges.

Isolation was tested on the go during my daily commute which consists of a bus, subway and the crowded streets of Manhattan. Isolation is very good and the best isolation I have had in a very long time. It was so good that I needed some time to adjust due to the increased loudness of bone conduction. These are easily my most isolation earphones and is probably somewhere in between Shure and Etymotic isolation based on memory since I don't own any of them anymore.

Sound Signature

Treble: There is a bit of a focus on the treble with this phone. However a great thing about the DBA 02 is that most phones that I've tried that has this area as the focus have some kind of spike in the upper regions. That is not the case here as the treble is quite smooth to my ears. You have your amazing detail here, air, smoothness and the sense of a very nicely extended treble. Lastly typically with these kind of phones the detail is up in your face letting you know it's presence but it isn't overly so here. I almost want to call it laid back but that isn't what they are if you get what I mean.
Midrange: The midrange is excellent here. You don't have your forwardness like an e-Q7 or recessed like a TF10. It is balanced in the sense that it is aligned with the other frequencies. The mids aren't quite as good as my e-Q7 but still very good. The upper mids gets pushed a bit up but nothing too crazy.
Bass: You have your typical BA bass. That means it is there but lacks the low bass rumble that dynamics have however I do like the bass these phones give you. You don't get thunderous impact but you get speed, definition, tightness and extension. Decay is adequate for me here. It doesn't disappear instantly like the CK90pro or last as long as the Golds so it's just right for me. Bassheads (closet ones as well) should stay as far away as possible or better yet run as far away as you can. This is nowhere near a basshead phone. Neutrality is the name of the game here. If you know the impact of the CK10 and e-Q7 then I can give you a small comparison. Using numbers that have no quantitative or qualitive value if the impact of the CK10 is a 5 and the e-Q7 a 5.5 then the DBA 02 gives you a 5.3.
Soundstage: The soundstage here is quite nice for an earphone. You have your width and your depth. It's nice and large but not like a large stadium. I don't care for soundstage much as long as it doesn't give you the sense that you are closed in a small closet which is something this phone does not do.
Imaging and Separation: Imaging and instrument separation are quite high on my list of priorities. Separation is done wonderfully here. For some reason I didn't expect this phone to do too well in that area but it definitely is no slouch here. Imaging is done well but from memory I believe the CK10 does it better.
Timbre: Timbre was definitely a surprise here. I've noticed that dynamics tend to have better timbre (I'm guesing because dynamic drivers move around while BA sits still) but these phones have good timbre. They are just as capable as my Coppers outside of the bass rumble which this phone lacks like all BA drivers I've used not including the e-Q7.
Final Comments: These phones are very blunt and they tell you as it is. The phrase “garbage in garbage out” is definitely true here. You feed some crap in they tell will let you know even if it is something you wouldn't like to hear. The only times I heard anything unnatural was when it was fed garbage. Also if you are looking for a sibilant phone then look elsewhere :) You will not get any sibilance unless it is already in the track so you can't do much about it. Lastly clarity is great here.

Note: Although their specs may not look it these do hiss a bit. I do hear a bit of hiss out of my clip+ but not too loud. It doesn't bother me but it may for you.

Song Comparison
Here will be a short note on a couple songs. I'll only mention the things in the song that I find important or something special about them. I have compared most of these songs before in my previous review so it may give you a better idea on how capable these phones are if you read that section of my last review since the majority here are probably more familiar with some of those phones than these. Here's the link. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/amateur-review-audio-technica-ck10-ck90pro-ck100-monster-turbine-pro-gold-miles-davis-ortofon-e-q7-484031/

Also please know that not all of these are in FLAC. I do them in FLAC but I used different bitrates just to see how they would do and also at the time of my previous review I couldn't find all the FLAC files in my library for some reason.

Aerosmith – Dream On (256kbps mp3)
The instrument separation is amazing here. The detail is great as you can hear lots of little things going on. You got your speed and your detail here. Bass is well controlled with good definition and speed. Imaging is pretty precise here. The electric lets you know that it is here and the best part is that the drum cymbals are done wonderfully sounds very natural and lifelike.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Hey (FLAC)
Bass is nicely done here with good speed, definition and quite the highly quality here. Vocals are fairly smooth here. The electric lets everyone know it is there but doesn't cause a scence at the party until the solo closer to the end. There's lots of little details going on here that these phones present wonderfully. These phones seem to have the ability to not mess up when cymbals crash which is something not all phones are able to do.

Sarah McLachlan – Building a Mystery (FLAC)
You start out with your acoustic and it is nicely detailed being able to tell the nuances of the strums. Vocals come out smooth and it's quite easy to tell between the different female vocals here. Separation and imagine are excellent. The breaths of air the vocalists take are easily heard. Drums are done wonderfully. The electric is done nicely with good authority but nothing crazy. Lastly your bass is high quality but nothing thunderous. There's good definition, tightness, speed and well definition.

Markus Schulz – I Am (320kbps mp3)
Now this is what I've been looking forward to..how do the DBA 02 do in trance? You want speed? You got it. Does it handle complexity of trance and all of its changes? Definitely. What about imaging? Precision. Bass is tight, fast and perfect for trance. You get this nice relaxation feeling here and all your worries go away. I can't really ask for much more here.

Priscilla Ahn – Red Cape (320kbps)
I don't think she's too well known but slowly becoming one of my favorite female vocalists. The acoustic guitars is nicely detailed here and you can hear all the strums and plucks. Drums are done nicely sounding very natural. Vocals are smooth and just effortless. Separation is excellent here. It just seems right here.

Reba McEntire – Eight Crazy Hours (FLAC)
Acoustic is done nice with lots of detail esp micro details. Your bass is typical for this phone. Lots of detail, tight, well defined but not your thunderous impact but more towards neutrality. The piano here is done wonderfully and almost sounds as if it was right there. Drums are done nicely with cymbals sounding very natural and definitely not hot. Separation is once again excellent. This is wonderfully done.

Norah Jones – I Wouldn't Need You (FLAC)
Acoustic guitar is done wonderfully here. Bass has great definition and speed but not too hard a slam. Vocals are nice with you being able to hear the little breaths the vocalist take. You can hear the little details in the music here. Piano is nice and sounds natural. Cymbals are nice with the cymbals clashing together sounding natural which imo is a difficult thing to do. Overall an excellent job as these phones are quite capable.

Conclusion

So what you get here is a very good universal that definitely competes higher than its price level dictates. It's definitely up there with the big boys (IE8, TF10, W3, etc.) but at a more affordable price. If you can handle neutrality, balance, low microphonics, relatively low cost, great isolation and everything else mentioned in my review then these are for you. If you came here looking for monster thunderous earth shattering bass or some low quality muddiness filled with distortion, boominess and excessive warmth then get outta here! You can't handle these.

On another note these phones definitely made selling my favorite earphone in the CK10 easier. These phones are more than capable of filling the void left by them. The only thinrg I see is that if you don't like neutrality or don't want a neutral phone then don't get these. In terms of weakness such as the mids of the TF10 there isn't much outside of the slight forwardness in the upper mids which can make some tracks sound harsh or bright and the impact if you are not expecting neutrality.

As with any review please read this with a grain of salt and everything stated here is IMO so YMMV. If you have any comments, suggestions or questions feel free to post here. Also if there are any errors please let me know. Thanks for reading.

Pros: Very good sound and not just for $150. Solid 'deep enough' bass, balanced highs and palletable mids. Slightly different flavour to SM3, but not worse

Cons: Flimsy strain relievers and straight plug, bad QC for FA, long order times and shipping. Potential fit issues. May be a bit too bright for some.

60x60px-ZC-74f0e669_dscf1583.jpg

Outstanding earphones (read the pros + nice accessories, although the over-the-ear plastic attachments are fiddly), but: extremely flimsy feel/build around the cables, BAD quality control (several people have problems with one ear being louder than the other...Including me), LONG stock order/shipping times from GD and other places (my pair took a month to arrive in stock and 3 weeks to ship, now 2 weeks back for replacement or refund).
FA should scrap some of the dodgy accessories and source a proper 3.5mm plug and some QC people/ a proper QC process.

A lot of people in the DBA thread also have fit issues. Some can't get an easy seal. For others, the angled nozzle pushes into the wall of the ear canal and you can't get proper seal with any tips (well, sort of with foamies, but you'll need to buy foam tips separately, and they still don't quite fit and you walk around with the entire IEM sticking out of your ear.). My pair is basically useless to me, even if one of the drivers wasn't dead.

I'm really not impressed.

PS a 1 page manual explaining how to use the accessories and get a good seal also wouldn't hurt, neither would L/R markings on the earpieces.

Pros: Great sounding vocals in a wide soundstage

Cons: Some people complain of sibilance and harsh highs

Fischer Audio is known for their great Audio Eterna IEM, which managed to deliver a “full” sound without compromising much the rest of the spectrum. This time, I’m going to review their second version of their widely known top IEM, the DBA-02(MkII). These are the newer version of the older DBA-02 featuring a new housing, cables, all in all a complete facelift from the old ones. Being the former DBA-02 a staple in their price bracket, I knew these would surprise me in a good way. As I said in my former reviews, my primary musical choices are electronic music, dance, drum and bass and some dubstep. Some say that the former DBA-02 were perhaps a tad too bright for some and lacked some body. Let’s see if either the newer model suffers from those “problems” or if it improves those particular frequency ranges.

Technical Data

Fischer Audio DBA-02 MkII

Impedance 43 Ohm

Cable Length 1.3 m

Sensitivity 108dB

Accessories Hard case, clip, earguides, 3 pairs (S/M/L) of foamed sony hybrid clones, 2 pairs of sony hybrid clones (M/L), 3 pairs of silicone tips (S/M/L)

Frequency Range 20 – 24000 Hz

Drivers Closed Dual balanced armature

Packaging

Fischer Audio chose a very appellative case to enclose the IEM, using a black and yellow color scheme. On the top of the case we can see a picture of the DBA-02 mkII themselves. On the sides we can see an earpiece on the right side and the name DBA-02 MkII on the other. On the side which we retract to open, we can see something that reads Master Series, in order to indicate the series these IEM belong. After we open the box, we can see that the IEM are very well cushioned along with all the accessories.

Accessories

As said above, the first we’re confronted with upon opening the case in which these IEM come, is the earpieces very well cushioned in foam as well 2 pairs of complementary eartips. Upon removing the foam, a plastic bag with earguides is revealed, just like the carrying case. After we remove both foams (the one which sustains the IEM and the other already removed) we can see the carrying case in its full glory. After some further inspection, opening the carrying case reveals some goodies, those goodies being 3 pairs of foamed sony hybrids clones, 2 pairs of sony hybrid clones, 1 pair of tri-flanges, 3 pairs of regular silicone tips (S/M/L) and a shirt clip. The carrying case seems very sturdy and has a compartment for some eartips of your choice, so you can change them on the go. All of the accessories are very well welcomed, although I can’t help feeling that a pair of foam eartips instead of the provided foamed sony hybrids clones (or maybe just let them stay, but add the foamies?), would have been a great addition to the vast accessory repertory of these.

Build Quality

IMG_5993.JPG

IMG_6003.JPG

On the first contact, while being extremely lightweight, these feel sturdy for the plastic they’re made off. While I don’t completely trust flat cables (past experiences tell me not to trust these), the cables feel sturdy enough to sustain a certain level of abuse without succumbing. Compared to pictures I have seen of the older DBA-02 model, I can tell that these look much sturdier than the clear two tone plastic, the older model was made from. Going back to the current model, we can see that there isn’t any visible strain relief on either the housings or the jack connection, due to the strain relief being provided by the cable format itself. That being said, both the entering to the jack and the housing, seem to bend enough to sustain some abuse. The Y-splitter, resembles a black barrel with some kind of grey plastic on top of it. The jack connector is made from black plastic with matte finish, just like the housings. The housings also display the name DBA-02 imprinted on the side which stays out of your ear during use. All in all, Fischer Audio seem to have improved the build quality of the DBA-02 in comparison to the older model, because one of the major drawbacks of the older version was the build quality itself. All in all it seems while being sturdy enough, it isn’t a stellar build quality.

One quick note for the eartips provided, they don’t seem perfect all round, they contain some imperfections in the rubber, but the triflanges (which I use) seem good as well as all the other non sony hybrid clones. The carrying case and the earguides present a very good build quality.

Comfort/Isolation

IMG_6007.JPG

These are extremely lightweight, small, and, as the balanced armature they are, there is no need to worry with driver flex, so you can get the best isolation easily. That being said, I have found that the best eartips for me with these, amongst the provided, are the tri flanges. They seem to provide the best sound as well as the best isolation. On comfort, due to being very lightweight, these are easily one of the most comfortable IEM I have ever tried, although being slightly betrayed by the flat cable which isn’t one of the best on what concerns to over the ear use. But after a few hours using these, you begin getting used to the cable and it becomes no longer an annoyance. Another note on comfort, you can forget you are using these, but they shouldn’t be very good for sleeping phones, because they protrude slightly from your ears. But, all-in-all, great comfort.

On isolation, these can be shoved inside your ears very deeply so isolation is just as good. Without music these reduce a lot the outside world sound (really muffled), and with music on they isolate really well. But of course, this depends on how much you insert them inside your ear in order to produce greater isolation. But since there are designed (or so I think) to work with deep insertion, these have a great isolation, more than enough for crowed places or noisy environments like metro.

Overall, these have a great ratio on what concerns to comfort and isolation.

Source – Rockboxed Sansa Clip +, laptop (LG R400), TMN A1 (Huawei Pulse)

Files Used – 256 to 320 kbps and FLAC

Being balanced armatures I didn’t expect many changes (or even none) on what concerns to sound quality. Even though, I let them burn in for about 50 hours to see if there might be some hidden quality in them.

Burn-in

My burn-in consists in pink noise along with a playlist that is composed of the songs I usually hear on my daily basis.

Being balanced armature, these don’t need an amp to sound loud, but will they improve with one? I am still yet to find out, because I still don’t have one! Moving on to what matters, the sound.

On one quick note, I think that the lower range (or perhaps me getting used to these) has become tighter with burn-in.

These DBA-02 MkII have pretty much been my first contact with an high end IEM, so what I have heard other IEM do in my former reviews, these do it better indubitably than them.

Starting on the overall tone of these, I can feel a balanced sound with the most forward mid range I have ever came across. These have a feel of air, without having the lack of bass (I was expecting a lower quantity of bass, from what I have heard from feedback of balanced armatures), and extending very high on the high range.

On the lower-end, we can feel bass that hits not that hard (but nowhere as low as I thought it would be), with texture and extension to pleasure pretty much anyone (who isn’t looking for skull shaking bass). The texture and extension provide the much needed basis for bass lines to become epic (such as Gorillaz – Feel Good Inc.) without changing the rest of the spectrum. It also has bass that goes deep enough for those low-end Dubstep listeners to be pleased.

The mids are simply one of the best things these IEM have to offer since I hadn’t heard any IEM that could deliver vocals like these can. It is kind of like we can hear anything that goes on the singer’s voice, like a faint, the breathing pauses, anything. And also these have a nice bodied mid range, so listening to these to artists that have an incredible voice (since I have recently surrendered to Adele, I have been pretty much “Rolling in the Deep” with these). It seems that they manage to reproduce the vocals so faithfully. Also these have also make me re-listen to Rock. (Down with the sickness from disturbed sound really great in these). Also, due to the air that they have all throughout the spectrum, they are great for live versions of songs, since you can close your eyes and, due to their imaging, imagine that you’re in the audience, in the second/third row. Of course, you need to get concerts with a good mastering and nice source files.

Moving on to what they say it was the older version “welcoming card”, the high-end. These can get really high, extending really well, but I haven’t heard the excessively present treble that the older version was supposedly known for. I mean, the upper range is pretty good, the cymbals feel crisp and on spot, but not they don’t seem nothing like the older versions was described. Although, this might be a good thing, because while the older version was a hate/love case, this new one might be a little bit tamed for those who didn’t like it so much. All in all, good high-end, extending well, feeling crisp and with a good resolution without an overdone feeling to it.

Another thing these do very well is the instrument separation. For example, now when hearing metal or some constricted rock, I can tell one instrument from the other, not a big blob of sound like many other IEM. Also separation is very well complemented by the positional accuracy of these, for example on live concerts we can close our eyes, and know which instrument is playing and where it is playing. The great positional accuracy along with the very good instrument separation are also helped by a fairly good soundstage, being larger in width than it is in depth.

Overall these have a sound signature that shouldn’t disappoint anyone who is looking for an excellent all rounder IEM, since these don’t have any special emphasis (perhaps on mids) throughout the spectrum. Of course, these shouldn’t be enough for the lovers of the sparkly treble of the older version, but these might do wonder for those who didn’t like the older version treble. These have set my new benchmark for IEM, since they do everything I have heard better.

Pros: good sound quality for its value

Cons: not so balanced frequency response

My TF10 got broken these days, so I order this IEM, wondering how it sounds.

personally I like how TF10 performs with a silver plated copper wire plugged, and I will reference this new IEM with my previous beloved TF10.`

first of all, TF10 is a more balanced product from the beginning, with a natural sounding and better low frequency control, the DBA-02 somehow put more emphasis on the mid-high range and its weird in my opinion since Fischer Audio is not Audio Technica (  XD ) .

I've been troubled for DBA-02's response behavior for nearly a week, my solution is either buy a high impedance cable or using EQ control if you want to make your DBA-02 all-rounder.

its kinda like calibrating your monitor, yes DBA-02 is not accurate( frequency response aspect ), but there's difference between adjustable and incurable -- and thank god DBA-02 is the former one .

some IEM come with better bass amount and more balanced tones just cannot be anything better, even with a good amp and nice source.

with a good set-up, I found the DBA-02 can be quite astonishing, it actually can play songs with bass!!

like what I said above , it just need some tweaking to work well. if you can apply some method and live with it, then everything is fine.

of course you can't play music like dark ambient or something cry for consistent low frequency performance, but the high end side is so delicate that you can forgive its crappy design and unbalanced nature, which may not be a problem if you just listen to a small gernes of music.

on the con side, I just can't imaging my DBA-02 can have the same lifespan as my TF10, I can't switching cable and before my TF10 died I've change two cable for repair, considering DBA-02's cable quality, this could be another short-lived phone too   :(

One of the best IEMs in the 150 price range hands down....

Pros: Ridiculous price value, fantastic treble, mids, and acceptable bass for an armature

Cons: Wire and construction are average

For $150 one has the prerogative to purchase a literally portable DT880.

They sound eerily similar and just the DT880 only being a hair better.

The DBA's have fantastic treble with the mids barely straying away from neutral.

Bass extends well but of course is tight as a typical armature drive.

Not for bassheads and highly recommended.

Pros: Very transparent - hear the music, not the IEM. Excellent combination of clarity, detail and balanced SQ

Cons: Could use a tiny bit more bass on some tracks.

I am extremely pleased with the Fischer DBA-02's. Their superior SQ right out of the box made them my "go to" IEM for everything.

They seem to have no coloration at all. The music feels completely natural, clear, and full; musical, fun and detailed at the same time. I can hear every component that is creating the music, or just enjoy the total experience.

I have no problems with harsh treble or sibilance, and the bass seems to be just what the recording mix intended. Yeah, I wouldn't mind a few dB more sometimes, but many tracks seem delightfully "bass rich" while still balanced.

They are very comfortable for me and fit with deep insertion. The housings stick almost straight away from my head when fully inserted, but far enough in that most of the blue part of the housing is within my ear. I've been able to sleep with them (but the music is so good that I hate to miss any of it).

There's lots of opinions about the best tips with these, and I've tried everything but Comply tips. I'm of the group that find the OEM single flange best for my ears, but they did get loose on the nozzles after a few months, so I've switched to Shure gray "soft flex" single flanges. Same SQ but much more secure on the nozzles. Shure Olives sounded very similar (and VERY secure on the nozzles - nearly too much so) but I found them less comfortable than silicone tips. Ety tri flanges didn't work for me, even when modded to bi-flange; Shure "large" bi-flanges gave me a decent seal, but seemed more harsh than the single flanges.

I like these so much that I'm buying another pair as backups, since they are so hard to get.

Fischer Audio DBA-02

› Frequency range: 20-20000 Hz › Sensitivity: 108 dB › Impedance: 43 Om › Input power: 60 mW › Length of a cable: 0 M › Color: transparent/blue. › Set: ear tips, pouch.

DBA-024610002030286