Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Portable Amps › Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier

Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier

Rated #8 in Portable Amps

Pros: Compact, Two bass boost settings, Decent audio quality

Cons: Build quality downgrade, Low power output, Bass boost a little overbearing

Fiio E6 3

The evolution of the E5 portable amplifier that served as my very first portable amplifier before I eventually returned it in favor of the CMoyBB (and because the volume rocker broke), the Fiio E6 is, in some ways, little more than a sidegrade or de-evolution from the E5 as a total product.

For instance, the E6 is now clad in shiny black plastic rather than the metal and plastic housing of the E5 and also lacks the sturdy metal clip of the E5, instead opting for a transparent plastic clip which, frankly, isn’t as good.

In terms of sound quality, it actually sounds rather good for an amplifier as inexpensive as it is. It has a warm, smooth sound that, while prone to smoothing over some micro detailing, sounds good nonetheless. Though the E6 is prone to mild hissing, you probably won’t notice it once the music gets going.

Fiio E6 1

Two of the E6’s three EQ settings focus on boosting the low end, a feature present on just about every Fiio amplifier I’ve come across. The E6’s implementation isn’t as good as I’d like, however and ends up boosting more than just low end frequencies. EQ1 provides a massive bass boost that can end up muddying up the sound on all but the most bass-anemic of headphones/earphones. EQ2 provides a more sensible boost that doesn’t introduce anywhere near as much mud and is quite enjoyable. The third EQ option is made to accommodate line level inputs from powerful portable players.

The sound overall is warm and smooth and, with the added bass boost, one that will likely appeal to consumers looking for a bit more power than their smartphone or MP3 player alone can provide. With the bass boost off, the sound is mostly clean with a decent level of transparency but nothing to write home about, frankly.

The E6 provides what should be ample power for common loads but simply doesn’t have the output power or current for high impedance loads. In most cases, this isn’t going to be much of an issue since many consumer focused earphones and headphones on the market today don’t need much driving power but the E6 will likely clip before you reach listening levels on heavy loads.

All things considered, the E6 isn’t a bad amplifier, more a versatile but still merely adequate amplifier. But for about $30 or so, adequate more or less comes with the territory. It’s certainly one of the better amplifiers I’ve heard in its price range though, and the bass boost feature is likely to be quite favorable to casual listeners and bassheads who just can’t get enough.

Re-Posted from my site, Musical Musings

Pros: small

Cons: died in just a few months

3 of the 5 cables it shipped with failed within days. The distributor replaced with an L cable of surpassing quality, but soon after that the damn thing stopped working altogether. Shoddy workmanship all around. Highly disappointed.

Pros: Really light and efficient

Cons: Can clip the soudstage

I bought this little guy for I could not bear the V-MODA Crossfade LP Over-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone (Gunmetal Black) sound signature (everybody makes mistakes right?). While they are the most comfy headphones I got, the bass overshadowed every part of the mids. They also eat a lot of battery power for a 32 ohms headphone.

Luckily I could survive this purchasing mistake due to the help of the little FIIO E6 which I bought after some research for its EQ options and the possibility of using a FiiO L3 Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone so no battery will be drained from the power hungry V-Modas. I found that the third setting, the blue colored led option boosted the mids so nicely that made a huge improvement in SQ.

Later on, about 6 months ahead the Crossfades got broken in the left side plastic piece that holds the headband so I got them replaced by the glorious V-MODA Crossfade M-80 On-Ear Noise-Isolating Metal Headphone - White Pearl that are one world appart. Clear balanced , efficient and portable too. I got a complete eargasm as a replacement set. The M80's are rated at 28.8 ohms which means a slight less battery drain but in the real world is a more efficient headphone. Before I plugged the M80's I used an Akg K518Lewht K 518 Le Limited Edition Headphones (White) with the Fiio in the flat EQ (no led) with 320K mp3's with very good results.

It turns out that the little FIIO actually flattens the M80 soundstage and make it sound a little artificial and dull. So for a better set of headphones this little guy can do more harm than good although it can work very well with some sets that lack bass or have a noticeable bump in the lower mids that makes the sound veiled or muddy. For the Crossfade LP it is a miracle. For the M80 it is not a compliment neither a necessity.

Pros: Small, Portable, Easy to Use, Strong Battery Life

Cons: Only 3 presets

It's an entry level amp, so I wasn't expecting too much. I must say it does add a bit to what I was hearing and does change the way I hear many albums. I love the thing, but I feel like I will upgrade in the near future.

Pros: Good Sound, Nice Size, Best Bang for Buck

Love it.  Perfect size.  Attached it with velcro to the back of my Sansa Clip Zip, and can almost forget it is there. I reccomend it to anyone needing a small amp or who are just getting into headphone amps to start with.

Pros: Decent audio performance, great form factor

Cons: Annoying high pitch whine while charging sometimes, didn't feel too durable and mine broke.

The Fiio E6, in all honesty, fulfilled basically my portable amp needs. It has more voltage output than my portable media players. It fit very nicely in my pocket. From a portable usability standpoint, it was great.

My main issues were from attempting to use it as a temporary desktop amp. One thing is that, although it can charge and play at the same time, it was obviously not designed to do so. There would be common high pitched whines in the music when it did this. Furthermore, the battery charges at seemingly random points when it is left plugged in and would wear out the battery over time. Although it was usable as a stopgap desktop amp, it was very poor at doing that job.

My other issue is that it was not durable. I'm pretty careful with my audio equipment and my E6 was mostly used in a desktop environment because I wanted a cheap stopgap. At some point in time, the switch to turn it on and toggle the equalizer broke -- it wouldn't toggle anymore, even though it still moved. My E6 was stuck in the off position. I could have opened it up and attempted to fix it, but it didn't really seem worth my time.

When my E6 worked, it was good on the go. Just don't expect it to be a good choice in a desktop situation or to have great build quality.

Pros: powerful enough for most headphones, clear enough for casual listeners

Cons: creates some static but should be noticable on sensitive IEM's, case could be better

the sound quality was without fault that i could find. to my ear it improved the soundstage by a bit, improved the clarity by a bit and improved the power by alot. in conjunction with the L9 and an ipod nano 6g i absolutely love how it sounds. i am a basshead so naturally i searched for a way to upload a custom eq to my ipod so don't really use the amp eq but my favorite eq on the amp would be the blue as it adds bass without distorting it. the red eq i found to be muddy and i did not like it very much at all. that said if you use it with an ipod i think that the eq isn't worth much noting. it is however great for bassheads because the increased power is just what my ears had been wanting to feel, in addition to hearing!

Build/Design

i think that although it seems to have a good build quality that there are a few design things that could be improved. to start i wish it had a casing similar to that of the e5 but with the sound of the e6, in a nutshell put the guts of the e6 in the body of an e5 and clean up the side buttons a bit and you're good to go. one thing i do like, however is that this thing is weightless! the casing is clean but i dislike the chrome paint on the corner. if you want it to look like metal, make out of metal, that is all.

Value/reccomendability (I think i invented a word there)

i believe that this is a great value, it increases the power of headphones and the clarity by what i hear as a decent amount. as for the reccomendability i have already reccomended it to one person, who has bought it and i will be showing it to a freind who recently bought beats pro. to clarify, he did not pay full price for them, he paid $150 for them used from a freind, which even i see as worth the money, although i do not agree with the media attention these overpriced headphones recieve.

Pros: Small, Smooth Natrual Clean EQ, cheap, Great Bass Boost

Cons: Hisses with Low Volume input, only great bass boost

A great buy, very affordable and the bass boost is noticeable but doesn't muddy the sound at all. Has "High Gain" Eq Mode, which is great for those High Contrast songs you forgot to delete off your Source. Looks nice and is very portable.

Pros: Sound Quality, EQ options

Cons: Build quality, EQ1 Unusable

I got the Fiio e6 as a replacement for my previous Digizoid zo. Boy, was i blown away. The fiio, for a 30$ amp, does things which I have not seen in even some 300$ amplifiers.

The Build quality in the e6 is below average. The volume rocker is really creaky and the bass boost button is really easy to press. The all plastic construction makes it really light(16g) butsacrifices on the build of the amp. Its also a fingerprint magnet.

The circuitary inside the e6 is top notch. The inside compensates for the outside.(Pardon the pun ;) ) There are three modes on the fiio. EQ1,EQ2, and EQ3. The first eq Increases the bass by about 8.5db. The second EQ, which i found to be better, increases the bass by around 4.5db. Im not sure what the third EQ does. When i put it on the third eq, I found it just reduces the volume a bit. Fiio does say this is for high power jacks, and whenni comnected my galaxy tab 10.1, it did just reduce the volume. I preferred the bass boost in the e5. The amplification is by around 25-30% of the original volume. The overall quality of the music did not increase much, but ill have to try with the L9 cable as well. The hissing noise that was present on the e5 has been done away with in the e6. Cell phone signals dont interfere with it as well.

Conclusion:

The Fiio e6 is an amazing product for its price point. The eq modes alone will justify the 30$. If the circuitary had been put into an Aluminium body and had been made in germany, they could have charged around 200$ and gotten away with it. If you had a 100$, i would say go for the e7, but this product is amazing for the 30$ you pay for it.

Pros: Portable, works, and is actually usable

Cons: Feels cheap, EQ1 is unusable

I used this with my Beyerdynamic 860 and Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10.  It works and does a great job for most music giving it a more full range of sound.  I have tried it in my PC headphone out and mainly with my T989 Samsung Galaxy S2 as well as on an iPhone.  Depending on the quality and type of music you will want to use EQ2, EQ3 or no EQ.  EQ1 is a joke but the others have given much to the range of sound any device puts out not to mention it makes it significantly louder.  For $25 I cannot complain, doesn't do as well as when I listen through my AVR525 but it is portable, cheap, and rechargeable.

Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier
By:

FiiO E6 is a Portable Headphone Amplifier designed to improve the sound quality and volume of portable audio sources such as MP3 players, iPods, personal media players, mobile phones, laptops, notebooks/netbooks, and portable CD players. As an updated version of E5, it not only retains all of the advantages of the popular E5, but also carries many newly added features and thus provides a substantial boost in performance. As compared with E5, it utilizes a different power circuit to offer true +/- power for the opamp and leads to higher power output, better signal to noise ratio, and lower distortion; three different types of built-in EQ options greatly improve sound quality; innovatively designed volume keys offer convenient volume control; smaller size, lighter weight as well as removable clip make it fit indoor and outdoor activities much better. - Output power: 150mW (16Ω Loaded); 16mW (300Ω Loaded) - SNR: ≥ 95dB(A weight) - Distortion: < 0.009%(10mW) - Frequency response: 10Hz~100KHz - Headset impedance: 16Ω~300Ω - USB power supply port: DC 5V/500mA - Power supply mode: Built-in rechargeable lithium battery.

BrandFiio
EAN6953175710615
FeatureNew power amplifier circuit, high SNR, low distortion
Height1.61 inches