Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › FiiO E18 KUNLUN Android Phone USB DAC & AMP

FiiO E18 KUNLUN Android Phone USB DAC & AMP

Rated #40 in Amp/DACs

Pros: flexible usage, android integration, sound level and quality, size & weight

Cons: additional device (carry, charge)

Hi all,

Cost Clarification:

FIIO E18 on Amazon.fr: 159,00€

FIIO L9 Cable on Amazon.fr: 18,13€

TIP: 1st buy the E18, take it to the Phone shop, try the devices they sell.

Many modern high-end phones support it without extra software, BUT MANY DO NOT support Audio USB OTG!!

Check the list on the FIIO website + try on the phones you would consider.

Kit, so you know where I come from:

Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 Ohm

AKG K551 38 Ohm

Pioneer DJE-2000 in-ear's

iPod Classic 160GB

FIIO E18 Amp/DAC for Android, PC and Mac (in combination with Samsung Galaxy 5S) + 30pin L-Cable for my iPod

(I use the FIIO E18 as DAC + Amp on the Samsung S5)

In my PC, ASUS Xonar Xence (can drive up to 600 Ohm without problem)

Logitec Z5500 Speakers via SPDIF

We all know about the iDevice music scene, for Android we get a bit less news I have the impression.

Hence my write-up ...

My Android Setup, in detail:

- Samsung Galaxy S5

- 128 GB microSD

- FIIO E18 (DAC + AMP)

- PowerAmp Pro app for listening

- iSyncr (bought full version), this has a PC and Android part/module.

- iTunes + other + Loss-less CD conversions + FLAC Downloads

The FIIO E18 in different combinations:

Great device, bought through Amazon.

Use with Galaxy S5:

I attached the E18 to my Galaxy using Velcro. I tried the rubber bands, but they hinder the usage of the large screen.

The Velcro also allows me the quickly put together my small stack and disassemble it when needed.

The E18 is connected with the micro-USB cables that came with the device (2 cables in the package).

I find the sound very clear, no parasites from the phone.

A very neutral sound, and very nice amp. The E18 drivers all my headsets with pleasure, from the 250 Ohm Beyerdynamic to the 38 Ohm AKG K551.

The E18 has a great battery life. Not once i had to recharge during the day. Easily runs for 2 or even 3 working days for me.

Aside from being a nice compact Amp/DAC I can also use the E18 to recharge my Samsung should the need arise.

For playback I use PowerAmp Pro (payed version, 2.99€),

This is a great software, easy navigation and features, many, many skins for the people that like that. (I got a nice "metal" skin, simple and clean)

It scans through my 3000 songs in a few seconds, so no hassle. Album art etc are nicely presented.

The EQ allows for tuning to your own taste, it allows for small changes and tuning to the headset, music or your personal liking.

There are also quite a number of preset EQ settings, something i found usefull to quick-check results and for testing settings, a reset button brings it all back.

Or, with the EQ on/off button, leave the settings but disable/enable the EQ.

Once tuned as you prefer the EQ profiles can be saved for later reuse and you can create a EQ for every headset/situation.

It is also possible to save the EQ settings to a specific album/song should you wish that.

To sync to music to my Samsung I use iSyncr (payed version, 3.99€),

This software is of high quality, easy to use. It has a PC module and a module for your device.

You can synch over USB and/or over WIFI (and your internal LAN, it finds your PC).

iSyncr can sync the music, playlists, broadcasts, podcats etc from your iTunes lib and from other locations.

You can even sync more then 1 itunes store ... sometimes handy.

iSyncr can sync on a schedule (like every 1 hour) or on manual command.

Stream to Media Devices, I use BubbleUPNP (payed version, 3.49€),

This software allows me to stream to any media device over WIFI. I have a LG Media player that is UPNP and that is connected to my HiFi chain.

Simply select the source, that can be the phone itself, my NAS, my PC with FooBar 2000;

Then set the destination, again my phone, or PC or the LG Media player.

The volume rocker on the phone then controls the volume of the destination player.

Total cost for all this great software: 3.49€ + 3.99€ + 2.99€ .... all bases covered for 10.47€!!   :L3000:

Use with Laptop:

Here again I can listen to all my music in top quality, using any of my headsets.

Same device, same simple installation, plug in to a USB port and I have a high quality DAC and Amp.

On the PC and on my laptop I use the Foobar 2000 software (+ installed ASIO driver).

I can use the same Velcro to stick the E18 to the back of my laptop screen.

Use with my iPod Classic:

Using the FIIO L9 30pin L-Cable I can use the E18 as AMP for my iPod.

Combining the stack ... you guested it ... using the Velcro!!   :-)

Pros: Powerful amp with low distortion and many uses good sound quality

Cons: not compatible with most android devices without usb audio player pro app

This is my first review on head fi so here we go. So I bought the fiio e18 to use with my Samson sr850 headphones and my Toshiba excite pure tablet and I must say I am enjoying every moment of my music with this device. Although I had to buy USB audio player pro to use it because my tablet does not support audio to USB out it was well worth it. With this device I can turn up the volume when I need it and use the bass boost for fun and it also gives my Samson's a major push which is something my tablet could not do.

I use 320 kbps music and I listen to mostly dubstep and with this amp/DAC my music has never sounded the same. For the price I think it is well worth it for starter audiophile like me although my headphones are not exactly audiophile they come very close especially with this device. For anyone who is just starting out and wants a killer experience with their android device this is the amp/DAC to get. You will not regret it but also make sure to only use high bitrate music and mid fi headphones to really get a kick otherwise you are wasting your money. I also want to add that in my opinion this amp/DAC is more for headphones that have a less colored sound so if you are expecting it to alter the sound don't be surprised because this amp/DAC is ment to just give the headphones a more accurate rendering of the music. Being said that I don't own a fiio Alpen e17 but I think the Alpen e17 would go better with a more fun headphone because of the bass and treble settings. I think that's why the fiio e18 has less settings and more focus on its inner qualities.

Pros: Lots of features, great build, neutral sound, bass boost, Android support

Cons: Sonic deficencies, I/O clutter, plastic top bezel, awkward usability depending on usage

Introduction:

FiiO has come a long way in recent years – quickly developing and releasing well-valued products – with its line of amps and DACs. Today, we have one of the newest additions to the FiiO family; the E18 Kunlun. FiiO’s Kunlun is designed as a computer and Android-device USB-DAC and portable-amplifier. At $160, can the E18 perform its duty?

Unit Build:

There are a million ways to describe a FiiO – good sounding being a common one – but having a sexy build always is one of the first. The E18 uses the stealthy milled-aluminum look of the E12, in addition with a top control bar surrounded by a silver strip.

The silver strip, build-edges, and control-panel plate are plastic. It’s hard to tell on first look, because they blend in so well with the metal. It looks good, as the black plastic provides a matte complementing-gradient to the shiny metal. I would personally say that the plastic seems strong enough – albeit a tad lightweight for me - for the purposes of the E18.

The feel of all the buttons is impeccable. There is a satisfying ‘click’ followed by every push. It isn’t loud or hard to press, but neither is it squishy. They don’t have much wiggle-room and are machined out of aluminum; which is a standard FiiO trait.

The body of the E18 is probably the most eye-catching part. The stealthy black metal –silkscreened with FiiO’s legendary logo – and its control scheme intimidates and excites me. It looks busy at first – there seem to be so many buttons – but once you play with it for a bit, you’ll know that it isn’t nearly as domineering. But, what really takes the cake is in how well the metal is kept. The E18 has been traveling with me - surrounded by other sharp-metal amps - in a small pouch. Despite this, its metal body still looks as fantastic as the day I got it.

Overall,  the build of the E18 is quite nice. The metal looks great and matches its cousin – the E12 Mont Blanc – while still having adequate space for the components inside. I would rather they have used metal for the plastic parts –despite plastic being a better ‘shock barrier’ – but it still works well without any problems.

Read more here:

FiiO E18 KUNLUN Android Phone USB DAC & AMP
By:

BindingElectronics
BrandFiio
ColorBlack
EAN6953175711810
FeaturePerforms reference quality digital-to-analog audio conversion for music played via compatible Android smartphones Compatible with Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/Note2, HTC One, and other Android devices with USB OTG and USB digital audio output capabilities Also works with laptop and desktop computers at up to 24-Bit and 96kHz bitrate high definition audio High-end op-amp audio output circuitry with ultra low distortion and noise. Large 3500mAh battery for up to 25 hours of use as an amp-only, or up to 12 hours as DAC+amp. Charges in 4 hours with optional 2A USB adapter.
LabelFiio