Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphone Amplifiers › Amp/DACs › FiiO E17 › FiiO E17 Reviews

FiiO E17 Reviews

Positive Reviews

Krisman

Unbeatable at the price

Have tried many headphone DAC/Amps in the £50 - 200 range and nothing comes close to the resolving, enjoyale nature of this bit of kit. Western manufacturers should take note. Quality, performance and a great price point can all exist together! :) Had mine for almost a year now and have no intention of letting it go...

Negative Reviews

ag8908

After hours of comparisons, I don't see any advantage to using this over your Iphone/laptop jack

Pros: None, absolutely none

Cons: Complete useless waste of money

I spent hours carefully listening to numerous songs at 320kbps on my srh940 and brainwavz hm5 on this, my phone, and my laptop. Eventually I stopped trying to find that illusory "benefit" to using this instead of those built-in headphone jacks. After some research, I have learned that a lot of phones come with really good DACs these days (such as Wolfson DACs), as do good laptops and that they also provide good power. If you buy these, do a detailed comparison and if this isn't really doing anything then return it as snake oil. I have personally concluded that this item is imaginary "audiophile" stuff that doesn't have any real advantage over most phones and laptops, and I haven't seen...

More Reviews

Bosstooned

Does what it's supposed to

Pros: Clear, good imaging, nice small mobile setup

Cons: Paint wears out quickly, Equalizer sounds a bit digital

Let's get the negative out of the way first... I've owned two products made by Fiio: the E11 and the E17, and both fail to impress me. Maybe it's because I'm just not sensitive enough to hear the real difference, maybe it's the synergy with my other equipment, but I've owned a couple of devices, headphones and stereo equipment and where each and every single one of them had a charm of their own these just don't cut it for me.  The high ratings I've given them however, tell the story of a small pocket-sized device that I took with me to school, in the train, on the bus, my friends even holidays in France! And everywhere it always did what it's supposed to:...
Windsor

An excellent value, multi-functional DAC and/or headphone amp

Pros: Great performance/price ratio; multifunctional; large number of audio input options

Cons: Not the best option for those wanting a pristine and highly-detailed sound; some crackling/distortion when using with Mac computers

I picked up a FiiO E17 when en route Germany to stay there for the 2012 Christmas period and the early days of 2013. I wanted to do some video editing work and listen to music when over there but didn't want to be without the stalwart reference quality Lavry DA10 which I didn't want to travel with on that occassion, so I decided to give the E17 a try.   Prior to owning the E17 I owned the FiiO E7, which was my first DAC and one I enjoyed very much, though wanting a more neutral sound than the E7 provided I upgraded from it. Since buying the E17 a few years after owning the E7, I was initially very impressed with the relatively more neutral-sounding E17, an...
autumnholy

FiiO: As cheap as it gets

Pros: Neutral. Multi-function. Solid built.

Cons: Nothing extraordinary or impressive. Just did it job fine.

I've owned E7 before, and had a Centrance DacPort LX. Well, E17 fits the bill to be the value buy (Over here Audio gears are expensive).   Sound Quality: Nothing impressive. Just plainly neutral with slightly rolled off treble. Not as energetic as the previous Dacport LX. Doesn't like to mess with the bass/treble boost functions. As an amp, it's quite powerful. Can drive my T70 (250 Ohm) with ease (my comfortable listening volume is at 45, minimal gain).   Built: Tough as tank, solid. Love the LED, looks classy. Quite bulky.   Features: Lots of features available. Bass/Treble Boost, channel configuration (left right +/- gain), is portable with built-in battery...
SandvichDISH

What a difference it makes

Pros: Sounds 100 times better than onboard audio, portable, built in equalizer, nice interface.

Cons: None that I can think of

Well, this is my first amp and DAC, but I can tell you that if you have some decent headphones and are just plugging it straight in your PC, you're doing it terribly wrong! It just sounds so much better with this lil' guy.   I got it with the cable to connect it to your iPod so that I can have awesome audio on the road too.   Maybe it'd be nice to be able to equalize the mids too, but you can just lower the treble and bass to raise the mids, technically.
Jensenchua

Cheap, Good sounding, Solid build

Pros: small, excellent value, Treble and Bass selection, good interface

Cons: some hips and distortion when using 3.5mm connection, no mid selection

Been owning E17 for about 2 years also my first amp, glad to see Chinese product that can come out with well build product!!
Myerus

Well worth getting

Pros: Has many forms of input; allows some control over gain, treble, bass, balance and volume; neutral sounding output; good price

Cons: Audio quality doesn't seem greatly improved (may be scratchiness of vinyl FLAC recordings interfering, or cheap headphones)

First review here, somewhat uneducated, so tell me how I go!   This is my first DAC (and headphone amp), and I feel that it was well worth buying. Although my cans probably are not at the level where I need a DAC (Ol' Faithful Sennheiser HD 205), there seems to be some boost in performance with the Fiio E17 'Alpen', although the placebo effect may be to blame. I personally love how the E17 doesn't seem to add any color or brightness to the sound, as I am an avid fan of neutrality in music replication; and even if your headphones are too dark, bright or colorful, there are some moderate changes that can be made through the E17 to counteract that. It was as simple as plug and...
Virtu Fortuna

Great product for starters. You won't regret it.

Pros: Good looking. Solid built. Useful Equalizer feature. Definitely way better than integrated sound cards. Bass is tight, mids are good.

Cons: Treble is a bit unnatural to me but when you reduce it from EQ it sounds very good and normal. No automatic screen sleep. You must lock it to turn off

Great product from Fiio. I think its really good for starters. Works fine with almost all headphones. EQ is great. Clean sounding. Performance/Price ratio is definitely good. You can't go wrong. And also it can be used as a headphone amplifier alone. Portable. Extras are good.
tdockweiler

Better than expected

Pros: see review

Cons: see review

This review is mainly for the DAC part only with L7. Mostly in comparison to my Schiit Modi. Just a few random things to note:   Sounds flat with a touch of warmth. Actually, just slightly more than a touch. It wouldn't be my first choice as a budget DAC if I was using just an HD-650. It seems OK for the K702 Anniversary. Based on memory, the HRT MSII seemed warmer sounding. Everything is nice and full sounding in comparison to my Schiit Modi (doesn't mean it's better). The Modi is a bit thinner, but clearer and with a larger soundstage. Detail seems about the same. Sometimes it sounds very very slightly muffled in comparison to the Modi. Possibly just placebo or...
peetz

Clear

Pros: Great connectivity, lightweight, small

Cons: Only 6dB and 12dB gain, EQ jumps in 2's

I've only had this a few days but it's a big improvement over the flat EQ from my MacBook Pro.  I'll add a more in-depth opinion when I've used it for a little longer.
Gozzer

Good DAC/ okay AMP

Pros: DAC

Cons: AMP

The amp section is okay its not great. I would rate it 7/10   The DAC section data streamed from a computer USB is much better. I would rate it 8/10   Computer USB -->E17(DAC) docked with E09K with lo-bipass on is the best quality. I would rate it 9/10