Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Denon AH-D7000 - Headphones

Denon AH-D7000 - Headphones

Rated #13 in Over-Ear

Pros: Terrific looking and sounding

Cons: Poor islation for a closed headphone

When the Denon D5000 first came out, I was pretty impressed with it – I felt if delivered a considerable amount of audiophile goodness for a reasonable price. There was, in the end, some room for improvement, however, and when the D7000 first came out, I was very eager to try them.

On listening to them at a meet, however, I came away with the feeling that they didn’t sound that much better than the D5000, and stayed away. I should know better than to judge anything just on a meet listen.

DSC02092.jpg

Some time later, I was kind of itching for a new headphone, and my D5000 were long gone. A nice used pair of D7000’s came up, and I bit. And I am sure glad I did. The D7000 are a very, very good headphone, a definite step up from the D5000, as I recall them. The D7000 are really quite balanced. They have good performance top to bottom. They are just a little recessed in the midrange, and just a little fat in the bass (although the bass is of exceptionally high quality). Some people have reported that he highs can occasionally be just a little much, but I have not experienced this. There is lots of detail, but I think the treble is well integrated and balanced.

The D7000 are very nice in terms of their soundstaging capabilities, too – for a closed can especially, they have a well defined soundstage with excellent depth, and very good width, although the better open headphones are universally better on that last vector. This may be due to their one big weakness, though – for a closed can, they offer very little isolation. They should be better in that regard, IMO.

But beyond that, the D7000 offer an awful lot of high-end headphone performance. While expensive at the list price of $1,000, they are always available for much less than that. At the “street price” of between $600-700, I think they are very competitive. They are cheaper at street price than the JVC DX1000, and while I do not think they are better across the board, they are in a similar class of performance (both the DX1000 and D7000 have a distinct and different flavor, which some will love, and others will not).

If you want an articulate, detailed headphone that isn’t overly lush in the mids but that has strong, detailed bass and clean, detailed treble, the D7000 are a good choice.

Pros: Deep/Punchy/Authoritative bass, soundstage, comfortable, aesthetics, easy to drive

Cons: Recessed mids, somewhat bright at times, does not seal outside noise

My Denon AH-D7000 finally arrived, and I've been putting it through its paces. My perspective on the D7000 is from a slightly different angle from most people who have reviewed it, since I have used the previous generation of Denon flagship AH-D950 headphones from mid-90's to 2005 or so. It was already falling apart around 2001, and I kept taping it back together until it could no longer be fixed and looked like crap. Here's the D950 all beat up, with electrical tape, worn out pleather earcups, snapped off housing...etc:

denon_ah-d950-1.jpg

denon_ah-d950-2.jpg

It's been with me all over the place throughout the years though, and will always stay in my memory. It still sounds great too, after the countless dropping on the floor, accidentally blasting at full volume, getting crushed/knocked around in the luggage...etc.

And here's how the D7000 compares to the previous flagship model:

denon-ah-d7000-2.jpg

denon-ah-d7000-3.jpg denon-ah-d7000-1.jpg

What was immediately apparent to me about the sound of the D7000 is that it carried the torch of the D950 into the modern age. They have a very similar sonic signature. The D950 have that somewhat hi-fi sound where the treble and bass seems to have that smiley face EQ'd enhancement (just enough to be "exciting," but not too to become grating and fatiguing), while the D7000 is more accurate, but still retaining the excitement due to the superior sub-bass and detailed treble. The D7000's sub-bass is definitely more substantial in the 30Hz range, whereas the D950's sub-bass starts to roll off after 40Hz or so. The D950 emphasizes the upper bass for more punch, but the D7000 does not have any obvious peaks or dips in its bass region and is remarkably flat all the way down to 30Hz. The D7000 is also a tad more refined across the entire frequency range--higher resolution, if you will. In terms of comfort, the D7000 is very comfortable to wear--much more than the D950, since the D950's earcups are shallow, with your ears touching the drivers, and it can get uncomfortable after a while (my ears would hurt after prolonged listening with the D950). The D7000 is hands down the most comfortable pair of headphones I've ever worn--its clamp is feather light, with luxuriously soft pleather earcups that are very well cushioned. Although the clamp is light, the headphones stay on the head pretty well, but I wouldn't do any dramatic head-banging with it on though.

Compared to my Sennheiser HD650, the D7000 sounds like a smiley face EQ'd version of the HD650, with the treble being sharper, and the sub-bass more extended and prominent. The one thing I wish the HD650 could do better in is the sub-bass, since below 40Hz it starts to roll off, and the D7000 takes care of this problem, with the sub-bass remaining prominent and flat all the way down to 30Hz (I haven't tested frequencies below 30Hz yet), which is a rare thing for headphones. The sharper treble of the D7000 can be a tad too bright on listening material that's mixed/mastered on the bright side, and on such materials, I would prefer if the D7000's treble is slightly more subdued. Although the D7000 is a closed-back design, it might as well be open-back because it barely isolates outside noise at all; however, the strange thing is that it isolates the headphone's output much better, so leakage isn't nearly as bad as with actual open-back cans (in other words, it sucks at blocking outside noise, but controls leakage into the outside world pretty well). Comfort-wise, I do think the D7000 is more comfortable due to the feather-light clamping of the earcups, but with pleather, no matter how soft, will never be as comfortable as velour, since pleather will get too warm and your face might sweat a little (or at least get slightly sticky). I bought a bag of headphone sanitary covers and with them on, the D7000's pleather problem is solved. The sanitary covers are of similar material as some of the disinfectant moist wipes, so while they are soft, they are still not as soft as velour. At least they don't get sticky like pleather though. The HD650 while has very soft velour earcups, clamp a lot tighter, but it's a snug kind of tight, and quite comfortable, unless you have a ultra-sensitive head where any amount of pressure will give you a headache. I never had any problems with the HD650's clamping pressure. Here's how the D7000 looks with the sanitary covers on:

sanitary_covers-4.jpg

One of the reasons I got the D7000 was with the wish that it would be like if the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the HD650 got married and had a kid. So, does the D7000 sound anything like that? Well, yes and no. I already talked about how it compared to the HD650, so now I'll talk about how it compares to the M50. One thing I really liked about the M50 is it's sub-bass capabilities, remaining prominent down to 30Hz. Not many headphones can sound like there's a subwoofer in your head, and the M50 is one of them. While the M50 sounds pretty neutral and flat in general, it doesn't sound quite natural--as if the engineers somehow pushed and pulled it into sounding that way, instead of it naturally sounding that way with the way its components naturally work together. For example, the treble has a slightly metallic feel, as if a very narrow band of the treble frequencies was EQ'd to get that clarity, but it's carefully tweaked so that it sounds very comfortable and never fatiguing. In fact, the M50 is one of the most comfortable headphones in terms of how pleasant it sounds. It is never too bright, but has plenty of clarity. The same goes for its bass--it's full and substantial, but never overwhelming like some of the bass-head headphones where the bass is so bloated that it intrudes into the other frequencies.

So how does the D7000 compare to the M50? In terms of sub-bass prominence, they are about the same, although the D7000 distorts less when reproducing pure 30Hz sine wave test tones. The D7000's treble is sharper for sure, and the overall clarity is also better, making the M50 sound warmer in comparison. The soundstage of the D7000 is also very good--almost on par with the HD650, while the M50 has a more typical closed-back sound with smaller soundstage. In terms of comfort, while the M50's pretty good, the D7000 is definitely more comfortable. Without the sanitary covers, the M50 gets warm faster than the D7000, but with the covers, the M50's pleather problem is also solved. Here's the M50 with sanitary covers on:

sanitary_covers-5.jpg

In conclusion, the D7000 is a beautiful sounding pair of headphones (though with obvious flaws), possessing  authoritative sub-bass presence and punch, a smooth, clean, and detailed sonic signature, a big soundstage that's highly unusual for a closed-back design, very comfortable to wear, and visually attractive in that "premium high-end" style. Some people say the D7000 has recessed mids, and I agree. To me, it's not just because the treble is more detailed and the sub-bass is substantial that it creates the illusion that the mids are recessed--the mid-range is actually recessed--at least compared to my Klein+Hummel O 300D's and other headphones. But it needs to be said that the recessed mid-range is in general not a good thing, especially when the vocals and instruments end up lacking body and weight on the D7000. Whether it sounds a tad bright and sibilant in treble depends on personal taste. I'm very sensitive to bright sounding headphones and speakers, as I find them very fatiguing and grating to endure--as if my ears will start bleeding if I keep listening, and the D7000 usually sounds detailed instead of fatiguing, but on some really bright material it becomes brighter than comfortable for me. It's only somewhat of an issue though, as most of the music in my collection are not mixed and mastered by half-deaf engineers who have lost most of their hearing above 6Khz. :D But when the recessed mids combine with the slightly sibilant brightness, it can make some material really splashy, such as the song "William, It's Really Nothing" by The Smiths--the hi-hat, tambourine, and strumming of the guitar all blend into this splashy mess that has no real body or definition. While the treble is up for debate, I don't think the bass is--since I did extensive tests on its bass region and found it to be very flat and neutral all the way down to 30Hz and probably lower too.

The D7000 is a premium high-end pair of headphones, and as such, its price tag reflects that. Is it worth the money? I paid $571 for it before taxes and shipping, while some places sell it at its full retail price, which is $1,000. I don't think I would pay $1,000 for it, but at $571 it's acceptable (relatively speaking, since high-end anything is always a game of diminishing returns. It sure doesn't sound five times better than the M50. In fact, with the recessed mids and slightly bright sound, it's hard to say if it's really "better"--maybe just different). Will I sell off my other headphones and keep just the D7000? It's too early to say right now--I'll have to live with the D7000 for a while longer before I even contemplate that thought.

To accommodate the new arrival in my headphone collection, I got a triple stand with adjustable arms. It's very convenient and flexible, and since I don't foresee myself adding anymore headphones, I think it'll do just fine:

headphones_stand-1.jpg

headphones_stand-2.jpg

sanitary_covers-3.jpg

sanitary_covers-6.jpg

Pros: Look great, sound great, very comfortable

Cons: Isolation isn't the best, not portable

Banner.jpg

Denon D7000 review

To all those who want to stay away from my mindless babble, I'll answer the final question right now. Do I like the Denon D7000's? Yes.

Now let's get on with the review!

Note:

Unfortunately, not long after getting these headphones, my current DAC and amp broke, and am currently working to afford a nice DAC and amp. Currently I am using an old surround sound receiver. I will update the review when I get the proper source components.

Also, I made some comparisons between this and the Pro 750's (Kees modded), my previous headphones of 3 years. It isn't a fair comparison.

Also, while I wanted to keep this review as literal as possible, I decided to have a little fun with a small part or two. So please excuse any overly dramatized parts of the review.

Unboxing:

IMG_4940.JPGIMG_4943.JPG

IMG_4945.JPG

Bottom of box, silk, and plastic.

The box it comes in is gigantic. It's primary construction seems to be of very highly compressed paper wrapped in a vinyl with a leather pattern. It can definitely take some abuse. The top is covered in padded leather (most likely the same pleather used on the headphones). The box itself looks like a miniature leather ottoman. Once the top is slid off, you're greeted by the headphones relaxing on a bed of silk. The silk is most likely fake, and they include a lot of it. The headphones are held in by a plastic mold; the silk is draped on top, and the two are connected by a metal plaque with Denon's logo on it. The cable is hidden by a compressed paper "drawer", as are a few pieces of documentation. With the exception of the box, said documentation, and a small microfiber cloth, the box is empty. With the Pro 750's, I received a case, an extra set of earpads, an extra cable, a CD, a 1/4" female to 3.5mm male converter. The D7000's do not come with any accessories.

IMG_4946.JPG

Denon Plaque

All in all, beautiful  presentation, and a fantastic box (which I now use as a holder for my headphones when not in use). However, I would expect a little more for the price of the headphones.  Maybe a converter or headphone stand, but that's a relatively minor gripe.

Construction:

IMG_4949.JPGIMG_4956.JPG

d5000-exploded-eng-2.jpg

Source: Tyll @ Headroom

The leather used in these headphones have me a bit conflicted. It feels like really nice glove leather; it is soft, pliable, and feels exactly like my leather gloves. Denon even says on their site "leather".  However, in his review of the D2000/D5000/D7000 series, Tyll opened up the cups to find that it was pleather. While I do have to hand it to Denon for making such a realistic pleather (it's really quite miraculous how much it feels like leather), I do feel as though these should be made of real leather. The headphones have an MSRP of $999, and a street value of $700-$800. I would appreciate it if they spent the extra dollar or two and went with real leather. Real leather is more breathable, it lasts longer, and is more durable. It's something I'd expect to come with a headphone as expensive as this.

P1020214-300x226.jpg

Source: Tyll @ Headroom

The inside of the headband consists of what I believe to be a thick metal band with wings made of either plastic or a thinner metal. The wings simply make the band wider, and are either thin metal or plastic to make the edges compress easily for added comfort. The thick metal core gives it rigidity. This is then wrapped in the same pleather the cups are made of.

IMG_4961.JPGIMG_4966.JPG

Inner seams and texture of headband leather

The hinge is made of duralumin. It feels rigid and strong, and I doubt it will ever be a problem. However, the screws do seem to be a weak point. I've heard of people that have problems with the screws, but I do believe them to be the minority. I wouldn't throw these headphones around, however. While they are *very* high quality, they feel delicate, like a luxury item. They will not like being thrown into a bag and transported every day. Also, they do not fold. The headband is adjusted by a very satisfying ball-bearing system similar to the one used in car headrests. It feels very high quality, and simply moving the action gives you some very satisfying meaty clicks. The frame is made of magnesium and is very rigid and light.

IMG_4968.JPGIMG_4969.JPG

Both sides of hinge

The cups are made of mahogany and are very nice to look at. The grain is very minor and subtle, something you rarely see with mahogany, which usually has a very wild and virulent grain. Images really don't do them justice, especially the ones Denon provides which are harshly photoshopped. Also, the mahogany is solid, it is not a veneer around a cheaper wood. Looking at the grain, it's very apparent. When it curves in, the grain channels change to a different perspective. Difficult to explain, but very evident when you're looking for it. Connected to that is the frame, it is made of magnesium and is very rigid and light.

IMG_4954.JPGIMG_4955.JPG

Denon Cups, beautiful grain!

The earcups have an interesting design, they're much thicker in the back, and thinner in the front. It seems like a strange choice, when mixed with the strangely designed hinge, they give a great fit very easily. They are made of a very soft pleather, which feels shockingly like leather. The stitching and overall construction is very well done, they should last quite a long time. The earcups do need to be fiddled with a bit during first use, rotating the cups to form a proper seal will help with leakage and comfort. For me, the seams in the front are now located around the connection between the cup and the  headband (the "nut" a few have been calling it). This is actually quite important for isolation/leakage. See third image for my placement.

IMG_4974.JPGIMG_4976.JPGIMG_4978.JPG

Cups front, back, and "nut"

The cable begins with a 1/4" jack that feels very high quality. The contact area seems like a fairly standard gold plated jack. The rest of the jack is made of aluminum. The exterior shell can be screwed off to reveal the internals of the plug. The cable is very nice, it isn't what I would call stiff, but it isn't loose either. The cloth wrapping makes it very tangle proof, but makes it very susceptible to twisting. What I mean by this is, if you twist the cable, it will coil itself. It has a very strong rigidity in the twisting direction, which isn't a drawback as it helps keep it untangled. It splits into two much thinner cables that run into each headphone cup.  The cable is quite long, I wouldn't recommend it for anyone who wants to wear headphones on a run. The cable itself feels extremely durable, I wouldn't worry about it getting damaged, it is very thick and very solid. The split part of the headphone isn't quite as durable. Feeling inside the cloth, the wire seems to be very thin inside. Though I do feel as though the cloth is adequate protection.

IMG_4979.JPGIMG_4983.JPGIMG_4984.JPG

Braided cable, jack, and jack interior

Overall, the headphone is shockingly light, it feels as though it is made of light plastics instead of metals and wood. The lightness makes it feel as though they aren't as durable (or expensive) as they really are. All the actions feel solid, all the materials feel solid, but it feels very light which will most likely make you more careful with them, even if it is not warranted. Everything on these headphones is made of metal or wood. I've only found one part that is plastic, and that is the bracket that holds the pad on the cup. Not to worry, however, it is a durable plastic.

IMG_4992.JPGIMG_4994.JPG

Yes, that is a triple beam balance. And for those curious, it weighs 414.25g

Durability:

IMG_4928.JPG

As I said before, I wouldn't throw these in a backpack every day, they don't feel bulletproof like the Pro 750's do. I could pretty much do anything to the pro 750's, and they'll just laugh at how weak I am. They're immensely durable, and have taken quite a lot of punishment over the years. The Denons are not like the Pro 750's, they feel delicate, but they don't feel cheap (they feel like a luxury item, as I said earlier). I wouldn't subject them to the punishment I subjected my Pro 750's to. As far as general at home use goes, they're definitely durable enough for the average home user.

Comfort:

IMG_4929.JPG

The Denons really excel in this area. A combination of lightness and earcup design make it feel as though they disappear on your head.

Nowhere on the pad does it feel like there is more pressure than any other part of the pad. In the beginning, the front of the pad felt overstuffed, making it harder on the front than the back of the pad. This caused a bit of minor discomfort, but it has subsided with use. The pads are large, which gives large ears the ample space they deserve, but rarely receive. My pro 750's feel like I'm mashing my ears to my head in comparison (though I still believe they're comfortable). My only gripe with the earpads is heat. Over time, it can get hot and sweaty inside the cups. The pleather prevents the area from getting fresh cool air, and I find myself taking them off to cool my ears every so often. Much less of a problem than taking them off because of discomfort, which is fairly common in other headphones. I do, however, wish they came with both a leather cup and a cup made of a breathable material. The added breathability would be very helpful, though realistically it would probably alter the sound in a negitive way. I never had a heat problem with my Pro 750's, but they use velour pads. The clamping force is very low, but enough to keep them on your head (they fixed the problem with earlier D5k's that would fall off your head if you leaned forward). The headband is not really cushioned at all, the only thing that really cushions them is the two thick seams that run all along the bottom of the headband, and some *very* small amount of foam. I do wish that they cushioned the headband as well as they did the earpads, but it is still quite comfortable because of how light these headphones are. I've seen some people use a snap-on Beyerdynamic headband on the Denon D series, and it is something I intend to try. I will report the result once I've had a chance to try them. Gripes aside, they're *very* comfortable. I've never had a headphone disappear on my head quite like these do. Though if I could fit a softer pad and velour earpads (or at least leather ones with holes) on the D7000's, they'd be ideal.

Sound Leak / Isolation:

These headphones don't really leak much sound, at listening volume they really aren't audible by any bystanders. Unfortunately, they aren't the best with isolation. They aren't bad, but they're moderately worse than the Ultrasones. However, with music playing, you won't hear anything, with the exception of audiobooks and quiet moments in songs. I've used the D7000's numerous times at work, where people play music through large concert speakers (played at a moderate volume), and I haven't had any issues. If I had to place them, I'd say it leaks about the same as any closed headphone with leather pads, and it islolates a bit worse than the average closed can. It's something I personally wouldn't worry too much about. They're not open cans by any degree, but the design that gives them a nice soundstage did sacrifice some isolation along the way.

Warranty:

IMG_4926.JPG

The warranty is a 1 year Denon warranty *if* you buy from an authorized distributor. It seems a bit short for headphones that can be $1000. I would expect some kind of special lifetime warranty with some extra benefits for this price (especially for how much *more* it costs to buy from an authorized reseller). However, I could be expecting too much. For a company like Denon, gear that runs you a grand isn't exactly rare, and they are a large company, they have very few reasons to add an awesome warranty.

Sound Characteristics:

IMG_4958.JPG

I would say these headphones are on the "fun" side of balanced. They are fairly flat, and have won me over from the "U" shaped colorization found in a lot of headphones (like the Ultrasones). They are detailed and warm, which is a bit of an odd combination. The detail seems slightly rolled off because of the warmness. However, I do believe it makes them more natural sounding than the icy Ultrasones. While the cold and tight combination of the Ultrasones complimented each other very well, it made them sound digital and surgical. Sometimes this is great, especially for electronic music, but it doesn't fair as well in most other genres. The more natural sounding Denons shine with pretty much every genre. When I listen to music with the Ultrasones, it seems like they are hiding behind colorization, while the Denons sound much more like my brain simply has an audio input, and I'm plugging a cable straight in there. Listening to songs sound "just right" as though the headphone really isn't there. While it isn't perfect, it is very refreshing.

The Denons aren't nearly as analytical as the Ultrasones. I could really dissect individual notes with the Ultrasones, but I don't seem to do that as much with the Denons. It seems as though I'm more "distracted" by the Denons. It may be because they don't sound quite as hard or "digital" as the Ultrasones, or it could simply be because I don't have enough time on the Denons. I'd say I've had thousands of hours on the Ultrasones (at least). I'm a very active listener, I tap my foot, shake my head, close my eyes, and even do a little dance every so often (it's quite embarrassing). With my Denons I'd say I do just as much dancing, possibly even more. The Denons are very musical, and really give life to the music it plays.

The soundstage is impressive for a set of closed cans. Ultrasone always seems to tout its "S-Logic" technology, which does do a bit for soundstage, but not a whole lot. The Denons outclass any closed headphone I've ever heard in soundstage by quite a margin. They're not like open cans, but for closed cans, the soundstage is very impressive.

Music separation is very nice with the D7000's. I'm used to very good music separation (which I think is the Pro 750's best aspect), but the Denons do a fantastic job of it as well, even better than the Ultrasones. Each instrument is clear and separate from everything else. This is especially apparent in dnb music, which is purely euphoric with the Denons.

The Denons are much more forgiving of lower quality bitrates than the Ultrasones are. Spotify sounds surprisingly nice, but FLAC is still very much better. But I don't hear as many issues with compression as I did in the Ultrasones. Unfortunately (fortunately?) the Denons vary widely depending on the quality of the mastering of the album. With the Ultrasones, I felt as though the quality of the mastering was what was holding them back, and with the Denons, it's far more apparent. Even the worst mastered albums sound better on the Denons, but the gap between a badly mastered album and a well mastered album is now *much* wider. This has caused me to continually search for quality mastered and mixed albums. The denons have a lot of "life" to them, and that is what is lost through poor mastering. The Denons feel like a living, breathing creature; one with a soul, ambitions, and dreams. When using a well mastered album, you can see all of that, experience it. It's vibrant and livid; joyful, exuberant, and soul-crushingly beautiful. But once you put on a poorly mastered song, you can feel the life slipping away. The heart beating slower, softer; clamoring on to life, but watching it slowly flicker and die.

Highs:

The highs are clear with some nice sparkle. They're not shrill because of the moderate amount of warmth the D7000's have. They sound natural, which is nice compared to the Ultrasones. However, they can become sibilant. Usually I don't have an issue, but sometimes they become sibilant, and it can be frustrating. Sometimes I listen to music on Spotify, and every sssssssssspotify commercial talkssssssss about how you're ssssssssupposed to buy ssssssspotify premium because it doesn't have adsssssssss. It can get tiresome. Outside of Spotify ads, I've had issues with Disturbed and another band or two mostly, but only in lower quality recordings. It isn't common by any means, but it is moreso than my Ultrasones. I usually roll off the highs a bit in the EQ to fix it. But besides some sparse sibilance, the highs are lush, clear, and absolutely fantastic. Classical and electronic really benefits, detailed and precise when it needs to be, lush and smooth when it doesn't. Layered and complex with violins, and shining with flutes.

Mids:

The Ultrasones didn't exactly have what I would call a midsection, so the Denons are a nice change of pace. What surprised me most was how much nicer rock was; Billy Joel has never sounded so good. In fact, it was the first thing I noticed when I first put them on. Music that originally was "okay" with the Ultrasones became "fantastic" with the Denons. However, the real winner with this is the cellos. Cellos are nothing short of breathtaking, complex, and enchanting. Yo-Yo Ma's Yanzi (Swallow Song) is magical with these headphones. I have heard that the Denon's midsection is just ever so slightly recessed, so take that into account.

Bass:

The D7000's little brothers, the D5000 and D2000 are on the bassier side. The D7000 doesn't have the large bass hump of the other Denons. When I first got them, I really thought the bass was far too weak. I was used to a headphone that would kick you in the teeth with bass. However, as I got used to the D7000's signature, the bass really seemed to develop and become stronger. It's tight, super tight. I thought the Pro 750's had tight bass, but they sound flabby compared to the D7000's. It also has more of a focus on sub-bass as opposed to midbass. It's tight, quick, and surprisingly powerful. It takes getting used to if you are used to a bassier headphone, but it's worth the wait. The bass is absolutely glorious once you take the time to listen to them a bit. It doesn't interfere with the mids or highs, and is fantastically quick, but is still meaty.

Music Genres: (Click name to listen to an example song)

Metal:

Metal is a very difficult genre for most audio gear. Personally, I believe metal overall has the *worst* mastering of any genre I've run into so far. Bands looking for that "wall of sound" effect take most of the true kick and power out of their music. The bass drum is an important foundation in metal, but it's hard to find a song that features a bass drum with any of its natural kick to it. When you do, it's very satisfying. Overall, the life that it brings out in music really helps metal. Bands like Xerath sound truly intense and epic, the harmonics between the synth, and the vocalist mixed with the intense and tribal low end sends shivers up my spine. Disturbed sounds forceful and domineering; the Denons reproduce the overdrive and clipping effects well, which was surprising. Agalloch has a certain musicality that is nice on the Denons. Some songs sound better than others, and the difference in quality from one song to the other is pretty noticeable. The ones that do sound good, however, sound very nice. That would be an issue with the album itself, however, not with the Denons. Cynic's newer stuff is a great example of what sounds good on the Denons. A mix of airy, well mixed metal, and hints of electronic.

I would like to say, however, that I do prefer my modified Fostex T50rp's for most metal, as I tuned it to have a very strong midrange.  While this did make them better for metal, it also made them much less suited for pretty much every other genre.

Dubstep/Industrial:

Electronic music really shines with the Denons, and dubstep is really able to show off how good the bass really is. The three most important things for dubstep (in my opinion) are bass kick, bass speed, and cleanliness. The D7000's have all three. Separation is fantastic, and the bass is really satisfying, it almost has a tautness to it, much like a drum. Bassnectar is a great example of the tight bass the Denons have. Noisia's Machine Gun and Split the Atom show the intense detail the Denons are capable of.

dnb:

For me, dnb has some of the best cleanliness out there. The cool calm notes with a fresh, clean background make me love the genre. Electrolyte's Ray of Light is a great example of this. Quick hits, chill notes, and very little excess noise. The Denons plus dnb is pretty much fatigue-free, and very relaxing.

Gaming:

Personally, I prefer gaming with speakers. Game audio and sounds are usually pretty compressed. Even so, the Denons are great for gaming. The soundstage gives you great positioning even without something like Dolby Headphone.

Classical:

For classical, I'm mostly going to talk about one album. That album is Yo Yo Ma's Silk Road Ensemble (Beyond the Horizon). It's the most well mixed and mastered album I've ever come across by a nice margin. I have the non-remastered version, which I think is a bit better (it has much more dynamic range, almost too much). It's the album that I judge all headphones on. With the Denons, the album is as good as ever.  Songs like Mountains are Far Away and Mohini are amazing and immensely emotional. Kor Arab is simply amazing on the Denons. Haunting, etheral, and utterly fantastic. The voice is like nothing I've ever heard before. And Yanzi with the Denons is flat out the *best* cello I've ever heard from any speakers or headphones. It's utterly soul-shattering.

Classic Rock/Country:

With the nice mids, these do nicely with classic rock and country, much like metal. Johnny Cash's guitar is fantastic, very musical, warm, and lively. It's got a very comfortable and welcoming feeling to it. Definitely makes his music sound fantastic. However, it doesn't make his music any less depressing. Yes is a good combination of rock and psychedelic. Psychedelic is a precursor to modern electronic music, and so shares in a lot of the benefits with the Denons. Close to the Edge sounds great, even though that song is really meant to played live (it's an incredible experience). The drums hit with confidence, something rare in more modern music. Songs like Siberian Khatru sound amazing, each sitar twang can be heard, and felt. It's a very tactile song. Jethro Tull's Living In the Past is a great song, the guitar is meaty, and overall it's quite musical with the Denons as are songs like Bouree, and Aqualung. Emerson, Lake, and Palmer's Lucky Man is much like yes's songs in that it utilizes synths, which sound great. The guitar is replicated quite nicely, and I love the harmonics. Oh, and Billy Joel is awesome with the Denons. All of it. :D

I think the added warmth gives the Denons an advantage with classic rock and country over the Fostex's I mentioned earlier.

Acoustic Guitar/Indie:

Solo acoustic guitar music is great because of how good the mix and master is. Being able to hear everything, and even the texture of the vibrating strings is a good feeling. My favorites are Michael Hedges and the California Guitar Trio. And for Indie, Bon Iver and Dad Rocks! are great on the Denons. Mount Modern (the song) sounds fantastic. Whats nice about the Denons with Indie is it benefits from the relatively small amount of coloration. It sounds very natural and acoustic, and the warmth ads to it nicely, making the music comforting and calm.

Conclusion:

These are a great set of headphones. I'd recommend them most as a primary headphone because of how good they are with pretty much everything. A pair of the D7000's as a primary can with a few secondary specialty cans should fulfill almost anyone's needs. The combination of comfort, warmth, and quality make this a fantastic at-home can. The best I've owned or heard by far. I wouldn't use these as a portable can, however, even if you're simply taking it from place to place. The fact that they're so sensitive would make them a great portable can if it weren't for their size and lack of folding. I think these headphones are a steal for their price, and the fact that you can sometimes find them open-box for about $545 makes them an even better deal.

Pros: lightweight,nice looking and dynamic

Cons: Isolation could be better

I have been  looking at these headphones since I started posting to HeadFi last year. and have  always wanted to try them and finally the opportunity came for me to audition the cans and see if they were  as good as all the hype that I had been hearing about them.  When I first started to listen to the Denon's I really did not like them at all. Out of the box the bass was overpowering, bloated and flabby. They were also very dark. I then proceeded to burn them in for the next 125 hrs using both my Outlaw 2150RR and Matrix M Stage as my primary amps with both the DV6001 and the Onkyo DX7555 CD player on repeat..

Usually when I get a high end piece of equipment my past experiences has always told me if it sounded good out of the box it was usually going to sound better after burn in was completed. With the Denon I thought they really did not sound good before burn in, and never thought I would hear a significant difference after the burn in. Boy was I not only wrong but  I was shocked at the difference in sound.

The Matrix M Stage amp and my Marantz DV6001 Universal player was the source used for my audition. I used the Audioquest Black Mamba interconnects with my source and amp. Music listened to ranged from Classical,Jazz,Vocal and Rock. I did not listen to any Metal or other types of music. The Albums I used were mostly well recorded audiophile grade CD's  and SACD for my audition.

Initially upon listening to the D7000 before burn in I noticed sibilance presence on female vocals. The transformation after burn in I noticed the sibilance was gone. The bass became very well defined and tight. The soundstage really became focused and very wide for a closed can and 3D, as I noticed the performers were more defined and imaging was spot on, and the bass was no longer bloated.  The biggest difference I noticed over both my 701 and the 840 was a refinement. The Denon's projected a very smooth and well balanced presentation in regard to my other cans. I could see the reason they were priced so much higher than the 701.

The midrange on these cans is excellent. I find the slightly recessed mid very much suited to my taste. Having owned many high end speakers these remind me most of my PSB Stratus Gold's They were warm with deep bass into the low twenty's and very defined and balanced with a slightly tipped treble. Hearing and listening to the FIM SACD of Antiphone Blues with pipe organ and solo saxophone, recorded in Spanga Church. the pipe organ was produced unlike I had heard with any other headphone. I could feel the pipe organ petal and feel the power of the instrument. It was a wow moment. To produce the lower register of a pipe organ requires bass to go into low 20's to achieve the proper sound of the instrument and the D7000 reproduced the organ with no problem.

Listening to albums with vocals and live recordings on these headphones is a pleasure. On Sinatra at the Sands it was like I was in the room sitting at a table and listening to my favorite Sinatra performance. I could hear all of Count Basie's orchestra with a very wide soundstage .Listening to Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, I was in the studio listening to two great artist create their masterpiece. Shady Grove. Garcia's playing was a revelation of detail on hearing guitar strings and hearing the inner detail of his acoustic guitar.  The presentation was eye opening. Listening to Beyond Missouri Sky with Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden was another wow moment.

I heard the best separation of the two performers that I have heard,  and you could hear the guitar strings snapping and the glory of Hadens Acoustic bass, with nice separation between the performers.  . I knew it was two distinct performers. Many headphones and speakers do not get this track right. The Denons reproduced this recording without effort. You could really hear the detail in Haden's bass not present with my other headphones

Classical recordings were somewhat more of a mixed bag for me. I enjoyed the power of the bass and detail in general but on large scale orchestra I prefer the 701. On smaller scale recording's the D7000 shines. Violins are produced without etch or grain and cello is aided by the bass. I noticed no etch in tremble on well recorded albums. I would define cymbal reproduction as accurate with no etch.I could clearly hear space in high hat reproduction. Good air and space around instruments and nice depth to the soundstage. In the higher regions of recordings the Denon were no match for the 701.  The AKG reproduce triangle and high's better than any other can I own.I do find the AKG701 and the Denon are perfect stablemates. The open cans give me the presentation I desire for classical music. The D7000 gives me the dynamics and power I desire for most other music.

In concluding I have to say I am very impressed with the D7000 I find them very much refined with great detail and bass extension. Very musical and it makes me believe I am listening to a full range speaker with much more intimacy. They are now part of my headphone collection and I am enjoying many hours of pure music magic.  Denon produced a winner with this headphone. It is a beautiful and balanced headphone that has really grown on me and I have come to enjoy a great deal.

The matrix M Stage amp is a perfect match with its powerful bass and detail. It really made the D7000 shine. If you enjoy 3D sound with super bass and a very balanced midrange these headphones are a must audition. Be prepared to buy them if you do listen to them. Very nice indeed.

Pros: Powerful sound, Detailed, Comfortable, Forgiving, Good with almost any music

Cons: Sound leaking (mostly in), looks like plastic rather than wood, hinges feel fragile

Here is my original blog post: http://noblehifi.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/denon-ah-d7000-review.html

DESIGN & PRESENTATION

After a layer of solid plastic is removed, which sole purpose is to protect the leather topped box, it's clear every detail of this product has been carefully considered. The silky bronze coloured cloth wrapped around the headphone's display mount, the metal logo plate and the way the cable is neatly hidden while still displaying the large plug - it exudes luxury from every angle. This feeling continues as you remove the headphones too. The leather headband and ear-cups are soft, smooth and beautifully stitched. The aluminium frame and pivots look expertly designed & crafted. The headband extends with a satisfying and precise click, showing the fine engineering evident throughout.

01.jpg

The ear-cups are attached to another thin circle of aluminium which rotates to help you further customise the fit. The mahogany exterior of the cups - apart from adding to the acoustics - bring a nice touch of class to the looks as well (although the coating does have a tendency to look like plastic from some angles). The Denon logo is the only thing to break the subtle wood texture and being under the coating it stands little chance of getting rubbed off even if you are heavy handed.

The thick, braided cable is a bit heavy but feels nice, doesn't tangle easily and splits in to two separate cables about 40cm before each cup. Unlike a single cable connection this makes sure the distances of wire to each driver is equal for maximum precision - this seems to be the default for “high-end” headphones. The split is managed by a nice looking but rather large piece of Denon branded plastic. The only down side of which is that if you are sat at a desk it likes to catch under the edge. The cables might be well made and a nice 3m length of 7n (99.99999% pure) copper but I would have preferred them to be more easily removed - should the need to replace or upgrade them ever arise.

02.jpg

A closer examination will reveal that they are made in China rather than Japan but there seems to be no obvious down side to this in the build quality. I do feel the need to treat them more like a Fabergé egg rather than an indestructible tank - I am not sure this is due to the materials & price or the joints & finish. Its very noticeable but I'm not sure if it bothers me.

COMFORT

I found the comfort of these headphones very good, the best I have used in fact! Despite being a little bulky they don't feel too heavy, they position well for comfort and avoid touching any part of the ear, thus can be worn for long periods without fatigue. The clamping force on my head is enough to keep them there and maintain a good seal with the leather while not pressing on my head too hard so as not to cause any discomfort. The leather and closed nature make them feel warm to use in hot weather but to change this would impact the audio signature and quality.

03.jpg

EQUIPMENT

Apart from the headphones the equipment I use with them is almost entirely computer based. The music is ripped from CDs in lossless format. I have a desktop PC but also use a laptop. In both cases I almost always output the audio via USB to an external DAC & headphone amplifier. As well as trying these headphones plugged directly into a computer I have also tested them plugged directly in to a few portable devices.

DRIVING: DIRECT (UN-AMPLIFIED)

These headphones have a very low impedance (25ohms). This is the lowest of any of my headphones, I expected them to produce a louder sound with the same equipment because of this. While they were nowhere near the loudest they were not terribly difficult to drive either. Both the iPhone and Cowon PMPs easily got to high volumes and even had room to spare. The Samsung Galaxy S (phone) was the only exception, struggling a little with the volume often stuck at 100%. Both my 70ohm Sennheiser HD25-1 II's and 32ohm Grado SR80 produced noticeably louder sounds with all the devices, the Denons feel more like 100ohms by comparison.

DRIVING: AMPLIFIED

My first DAC / headphone amp was the Fiio E7. It is a cheap but very versatile little portable unit which improves the standard output from a PC or laptop greatly. It only supports CD quality audio but it provides a big step up in audio quality compared to a computers built in sound. If you listen to music through a computer and have nothing like this it's perhaps the best value audio upgrade you can buy.

03b.jpg

My second DAC / headphone amp is a CEntrance DACport - like the Fiio E7 this is a portable device but it lacks a battery (powered by USB – 9v). It also has no audio inputs other than USB, no screen and no bass control while costing considerably more than Fiio. It justifies this by supporting high definition audio up to 24bit / 96khz and does so with minimal distortion. I find this unit very crisp, clear and detailed with a decent sound stage but rather lacking in low end power (bass). I found it difficult to enjoy a lot of music at times because of this, especially with the Denons for some reason. I assumed that the Denons would have plenty of power to spare thus making this a good pairing but unfortunately it did not give me this impression.

04.jpg

My third DAC / headphone amp is a new addition from China called the Yulong D100 (mkII version). Of the three units this is the most serious. It's the only one that's not portable - it's a mini hi-fi separate and requires mains power. It also has the most complete list of in/outputs and supports sample rates up to 24bit / 192khz. I currently only use USB which is limited to 24bit / 96khz although it does supports asynchronous mode. This means the unit requests audio from the PC rather than the PC sending audio whenever it feels like it and has the effect of minimising jitter (possibly the biggest enemy of digital audio). This new version has an upgraded USB chip as well as an updated headphone amplifier. This is by far the best sound quality and characteristic that I have experienced so far, it gave me a significant boost in quality for all of my headphones. I had read that the D100 gives a level of quality often associated with equipment costing significantly higher prices, having owned it a few weeks now I can certainly say that it sounds as good as all the hype surrounding it. The D100 mkII turned up mid-way through this review and has forced me to go back over most of this article.

05.jpg

BENCHMARK MUSIC

A chance to show off some of my favourite tracks and help me pick up subtle differences in equipment due to me being familiar with their sounds. I have also tried to pick tracks that emphasize different types of sound, thus covering the widest possible range of these headphones abilities.

1. Butch Clancy: TinieTempah, Passout
  2. The Crystal Method - The Grid (Remix of Daft Punk's Tron Legacy song)
  3. Henry Mancini: The Ultimate Pink Panther - The Pink Panther Theme
  4. Bear McReary: Battlestar Galactica: Season 2 - Prelude to War
  5. Hans Zimmer: Sherlock Holmes - Is It Poison. Nanny?
  6. Yoko Kano: Cowboy Bebop (disc 1) - Spokey Dorkey
  7. Tony Bennett / Lady Gaga: The Lady Is A Tramp
  8. Rodrigo Y Gabriela: [self title] - Juan Loco
  9. Skunk Anansie: Hedonism
  10. Metallica: Of Wolf And Man
  11. Holly Cole: Train Song
  12. Queen: One Vision

• Butch Clancy's Dubstep tune is my only lossy compressed (mp3) track here, the reason for this is it cannot be bought on CD, this track is downloaded from the artist himself through soundcloud.com. It's my go-to song to test the effects of powerful bass. I was a little worried about these headphones overcooking the low frequencies of this music but they displayed their prestige and versatility straight away. The power and precision to the low frequencies as well as a deep physical rumble on offer here is a true spectacle! What is possibly more impressive is that they produce strong, clear and unclouded mid tones at the same time. This might be a bass-head track that doesn't often get appreciated on this level but it's impressive to hear the control behind the power making this sound even better.
  • The Crystal Method's mix of my favourite 'Tron: Legacy' track is a dynamic, foot tapping tune which can be tricky to produce on some system combinations. These headphones display it with great presence, it's possibly the most enjoyable and engaging display that I have heard of it yet. Like the previous track it has strong bass and it's produced beautifully here too but the strength in this track is the dynamic and speedy electronic tune which is dealt with vibrantly. If I were to be picky I would say that electronic music in general isn't the Denons strongest genre but they are so versatile it would be like saying it's the least flashy Ferrari.
  • Henry Mancini's classic Pink Panther tune is infused in to my brain from watching the cartoons as a child. Listening to the remastered recordings through these headphones is an absolute joy. The instrument separation is wonderful, the saxophone is wonderfully lively and three dimensional yet sublimely smooth - it feels sharply defined yet very natural. This track is capable of sounding quite grating on lesser headphones but these have a relatively laid back nature with this music that makes a very enjoyable presentation.
  • Bear McReary's soundtrack has a lot of great detail and an eclectic mix of instruments. This track has a dramatic three minute build up to a massively powerful drum section. The switch to this thunderous display gave me goosebumps here! There are some fairly deep notes preceding them and they can feel a little anticlimactic if there isn't a great deal of clarity to go with that. If the early detail sounds muddy in any way it can all blend together and feel rather mediocre but thankfully this was not the case here. I got a great feeling that the power was building to something special. That power is impressive even before the switch and just when I thought it couldn't possibly get any better it does! It left me in total awe of the headphones ability to feel like they're surrounding you, even a part of you and not something just strapped to your ears.
  • Hans Zimmer's track is one of my favourites for subtlety and dynamics. There are a few quiet moments where a slow build up shows off a single instrument extremely well. I got a really great feeling of texture to every sound here. The instrument separation was wonderful and the soundstage for a closed headphone is probably even more impressive. This album in general has so much energy and drama, it gave me a great feeling of depth and dynamics.
  • Yoko Kano's song is fantastic for it's aggressive harmonica and plucky acoustic guitar and chosen here to see how large amounts of high frequency are dealt with. The high notes still feel powerful and punchy, as is the point with this track, but there was a smoothness to it which made it feel more pleasant than I had previously experienced. Too much recessed high end would make this sound boring and probably have you reaching for the volume anyway but this presentation was wonderfully exciting without being painful.
  • Tony Bennett's Song is actually for Lady Gaga (sorry Tony). I have never been a fan of her “normal” music but her vocals here impress me greatly. Like the previous track its a great example of carefully controlled treble. I have had this song hurt my ears on almost every pair of headphones I've ever tried. Obviously it makes me push the volume up more than I should but it was an effect that didn't happen with these headphones.
  • Rodrigo Y Gabriela's guitar duo is one of my new favourites. The speed and power on display here is amazing. I have almost never listened to this and thought it sounded boring. What I get from these headphones here is a new level of texture to the sounds, it's like I can feel what every string feels like to the touch as I listen. There are also some deep thumps from them smacking the guitars and this is also the best rendition of that effect I have yet heard.
  • Skunk Anansie's track is a rather laid back one, especially for them. I heard this track a long time ago and loved it but that was long before I had any equipment of this calibre. Listening to it now is strange but great, its the song I know but with new levels of detail and subtlety. The instrument separation, the clarity of vocals – all dealt with beautifully.
  • Metallica's Song is my only high definition track here at 24bit / 96khz. This is another blast from the past track for me and the Denons display it with the level of clarity that is not often heard in tandem with such a powerful guitar. Like electronic though I think that metal is also not these headphones strong point. Great but not so stellar as say classical, jazz, soundtracks, popular... well the list goes on but you get the idea. It's just not such an engaging experience as other genres but I can't stress this enough - it's not bad at all.
  • Holly Cole's sublimely smooth and deeply powerful song is a great example that not only dubstep gets great use out of finely controlled and powerful low frequencies. I've said it before but versatility seems to be these headphones strongest point. You might be initially most impressed by the power but it certainly doesn't end there.
  • Queen's classic song (although one of many) shines brightly here. Their sound just hits high in every way for me, unlike where metal just didn't quite have the best energy with these headphones this sound was quite the opposite - for me. The strong low end adds only a tiny boost but it feels just right and the midrange that shows these headphones don't really have much weakness.

SUMMING UP

If there is one word I could use to sum up these headphones it would be “versatile”. They seem to suit more genres of music better than anything else that I have heard. It could be argued that for their price this should be expected. One point of view would be to see them as a good investment and a simpler solution than purchasing several lesser headphones that are only good for a few types of music. To support this ideal they have great comfort and being closed back are more suitable for different environments than most other high-end options. Despite them being famous for their speaker-like powerful sub bass, which is great, I don't feel like this affects the other frequencies in a negative way. With their low end energy and closed nature they can seem slightly warm but considering their construction they are the most airy sounding headphone I have experienced. With beautifully detailed & exciting mid tones, articulate & smooth treble on top of the endless depth & hard kicking low frequencies I would generally describe the characteristic as neutral sounding but at the same time I can see why some people might think that's far from true. There is a lot of energy on display here, just everywhere and well controlled throughout!

Pros:

• Powerful but Controlled Sound
  • Balanced & Detailed
  • Good Sound Stage for a closed headphone
  • Easy to Drive
  • Genre Versatile
  • Build Quality (although not something you want to throw around).
  • Comfortable

Cons:

• Poor Isolation for a Closed Headphone
  • A Little Warm Sounding
  • Wood Coating Appears Plastic
  • Non removable cable
  • Annoyingly placed/shaped cable splitter

All of these negative points are rather insignificant to me given the benefits except the first one because it means they are rather poor in a noisy office environment. Although expensive I do think they are worth the price and although relative I don't think you are paying for diminishing returns when you see how unusual this balance of features is.

06.jpg

Pros: Beautiful + Bass

Cons: sweat after a while (Thailand is HOT!)

Squidoo

On April 17, 2011 I asked "TheWuss"--a Head-Fi member who has a LOT of headphones--what headphone was best for watching movies.  The next day--April 18, 2011--he replied:

fred,

that easy.  hahahaha.

for cinema, the denon d7000 is pretty much without equal.  (impactful sound for explosions, big and layered soundstage for immersive listening experience, etc. etc.)

On April 19, 2011--the very next day--I went out and bought the Denon AH-D7000.  So I consider him the one who pushed me off the edge. And for that I am thankful. smily_headphones1.gif Thanks Brent!

This is my reply to him at 2:51pm-- April 19, 2011:

"aaahhh.....I finally took the plunge!  Got the Denon D7000.  Tried it out at the shop versus the T1, Pro 900, DT880(600).  The D7000 is very immersive...and the bass....really put me on the edge while watching some movies with "suspension" scenes/sounds.  The other headphones sounded further.  However, for music ...the T1 was quite nice.  I was able to "follow" sounds from left to right as well as discern which instrument was from the left or from the right.  The Denon was "too much" for me when listening to music.  Put me "on the edge" and when I took it off, I felt as if it was a "relief".   That didn't happen with the T1.  With the T1/DT880 I felt like sinking into my seat, closing my eyes, leaning back ....and relax.  T1 was better than DT880 at "exciting" me with the differences in loud/soft when listening to music, while with the Pro900 and DT880, I didn't really feel anything.  Just like listening to music from a distance with the DT880 giving me much more "imaging".  I was able to "hear/feel" whether the sound came from the left or right."

…before I continue, just want all to know that I don’t consider myself an audiophile because I just started reading up on headphones 3 months before I got my D7000.  I decided using my ears and “feeling.”

My purpose of buying was to get a pair for night-time movie watching.  My sound system’s overall volume was too loud when it was at dialogue-understandable level.

popcorn.gif

$833 for me IS a lot of money and so I do consider this expensive.  When I went to Jet Live Audio Store, I was initially looking forward to trying the Ultrasone Ed8, Ultrasone Pro 2900, Denon AH-D7000, and the Beyerdynamics DT770 because of what I read on websites and forums on “bass headphones” and “movie headphones.”

I asked for the Ultrasone Pro 2900, Denon AH-D7000, Beyer T1, and the Beyer DT770 but did not dare ask for the Ultrasone Ed.8 because of the price.  Since Mr. Jet did not have the Beyer DT770, I tried the DT880(250)instead.  After listening to some music, I put down the Ultrasones because it did not feel comfortable.  The DT880s had great left to right continuation when watching movie trailers.  They also sounded great when used for music.  The T1 sounded way better than the DT880s when used for music because of the soundstage and imaging—I could tell the difference between left and right clearly and “felt” as if I could pin-pointing instruments positions (virtually with my eyes closed).   The T1 impressed me very much—might get it in the far future?

I decided to go with the D7000 because of the physical vibrations and “shock” factor that kept me on edge while watching the Predator Movie Trailer.  The “bangs” and “booms” startled me so much (I usually hate being startled!) I was on high alert throughout the whole short clip. Another clip I found on Youtube that also caused facial vibrations.

After a month or so of using the set, I realized that I had to take it off to wipe off my sweat from time to time.  Also, when listening to some types of music, the highs can be quite painful (did not burn yet).  Other than that, the D7000 is a beautiful set, soft on the ears, a bit heavy, has great bass, expensive, is worth the price because it delivers (for movies)and is definitely a keeper.

I gave Value 4.5 stars because it IS expensive. For this price, they should include a nice carrying bag/case as well. I gave Audio Quality 4.5 because for music the T1 and the STAX do better.  Design 5 because I like it.  Comfort 4 because it is kinda heavy and the leather causes me to sweat.  If they have a "for movies" option...I'd give that a full 5 !!!

If you’re looking for a headset only for good bass music, there are cheaper sets out there.  I recently (July, 2011) tried on the V-moda Crossfades LP and they sounded amazing when used for “disco”-type music.  It made me feel as if I was “inside the dance club”, “right there at the party. “  I’ve tried the Audio Technica M50, Audio Technica Pro 900, and Beats Pro among others.  These also sound good but I prefer the V-modas for their cool design and the “I’m right there” feeling.  They don’t work that well with other types of music though and the owner of the pair I listened to complained about it not having enough clear highs. For movies, my gaming headset (Creative Fatality HS-1000) and the normal Philips SCB-HP200 paired with the Creative X-mod sounded good but no physical vibrations or "shock" factor.

To conclude this rambling….Wooooooooo!    I love my Denons!   Yeah!

Sincerest thanks to all Head-Fi members who helped by graciously answering my PMs:

Head-Fi member Acix

Head-Fi member Must Lust Envy

Head-Fi member LFF

Head-Fi member Skylab

Head-Fi member IJokerI
Head-Fi member TheWuss

Thanks to Mr. Jet from Jet Live Audio Store here in Bkk, Thailand for allowing me to try out your headphones...and for the nice Hokkaido chocolates from Japan! atsmile.gif

Review Denon AH-D 7000 Headphones

My first set of headphones were purchased in 1974. I’m excited to write that over the years my favorite headphone has improved every so often. I am not a complete obsessive type who compulsively is upgrading my system. I have a relaxed process where if something works then it stays in use for awhile.  As we build our headphone systems each piece of equipment is interdependent on each other for the overall sound.  That old saying that your system is only as strong as the weakest link stands true as ever. It is actually really hard at times to get all your components to complement each other. When you have system synergy going strong, I have felt it is just better to leave it alone and enjoy the music.

For a ten year period the Sony MDR-CD-870 closed back headphones were my reference set. Sure there were lots more out there. At the time I was using 1960s Scott Amplifiers and the Sonys were a good match. My goal was a fun, comfortable and rocking set of headphones. If you have a system which works enjoy it and leave stuff alone. We all know of the crazy upgrade condition. The upgrades are a great way to spend time with this hobby. Basically every purchase is a learning experience. I’m a little conservative so having a purchase be a financial learning experience is not my idea of fun.

At a Head-fi show I tried as many headphones in my system as I could. I already had a wonderful pair of AKG k701s which were great and all but are not the best for rock. Even for dance music the AKGs leave something missing. Put on some well recorded vocals and guitar and then the AKGs show their true potential. So to shorten this story the Head-fi member next to me had a pair of AH-D7000s to sell. The price was right in my ballpark at $450.00 usd. I had spent the whole morning with modified Sennheiser HD 800s. Heck I had seen the HD800s with the t-shirt modification where you take and pack a cotton t-shirt inside them. I had used a stock set of HD800s with a super expensive after market cord which was $500.00 usd itself. I played the HD800s with a limited edition remaster of Dark Side Of The Moon on an $80,000 usd vinyl rig. I came to try the Sennheisers but somehow maybe I’m not a Sennheiser guy! Don’t get me wrong as the HDs sound very, very clear. Each part of the recording is rendered in the right sound field place. I just didn’t feel it in my heart.

So he hands me the Denons from next door and I put them into the high impedance output of my Woo Audio 5 LE. I could tell right away that I was there. In three minutes I was done, all done. But some say that if you have this instant satisfaction that maybe you will not like the equipment over time. There is this theory that some manufactures put this color in their products so everybody is floored on first listen and open their pocketbooks, only to go home and find the color is somehow keeping them from audiophile truth. I really don’t know. There is a woody feel to the sound of the AH-D 7000s. You could call it color. The sound of great and controlled bass going as low as you need it to go. The overall experience is just in one word, fun. Can you have too much fun? It’s been about 13 months and the honeymoon is not over.

When you wear the Denons for weeks on end then swich to somthing like the AKGs then you realize how light and perfect the AH- D 7000s fit your head and ears. I had always thought the AKGs were nice to wear but again the AH-Ds rule. The HD-800s felt just like they look, big heavy cages on your head! The HD-800s are as enjoyable as a hospital and the AH-Ds are as enjoyable as a redneck keg party in the woods!

The build quality is great. When you first study them they look a little fragile in the armatures. The piano lacquered cups seem like they could even dent if you get a little loose with them. Knock on wood, it has been 13 months and they are holding up perfect. So they are made in China and not the brisk mountains of Italy. They are made really, really well. The cord is a Y configuration which carries no micro phonic properties at all. At times there is a small adjustment phase just before all the equipment gets on. This adjustment gets to be an easy thing to get used to with time. The cord does need to be sorted out straight at times. The plug is really well made and feels like it will last for years. The plug has a heavy quality which just feels right when adding it to amps. A short right at the plug is an issue with many headphones used a long time. This plug seems truly first rate. I also use the AKG mini plug adaptor to plug the AH-Ds into the mini plug of my Nuforce Icon USB Desktop Amplifier And Headphone Amplifier. A great combo for the Nuforce using it as a USB digital output for a laptop playing Foobar2000 or Macintosh playing aiff lossless files in I-tunes. The high impedance of the AH-D 7000s results in truly great authority just going directly out of an I-pod Touch playing lossless aiff files.

So later that day we found a couple more tube amps to fit into our test system. The AH-D 7000s were always polite and never became harsh in the high end. Everyone said the system was simply divine with the AH-Ds in place. What they did say was that the system was perfect for jazz and classical. We still had some issues. Everything was buttery smooth; there was warmth and detail in a very sublime way. The problem was what they call speed. I was using cheap Monster RCAs and my old computer cord for power. Could the Denons improve? The question was how much did they have in them to improve. What the Denons lack in midrange reproduction is overcome by the lush silky midrange reproduced by 300b tubes. The fact is that the midrange is one of the finer points of the Woo 5LE. What could be done to improve was cords. What I thought was a little too much bass response was all just problems in my system due to the cords I was using. After changing cords the bass became focused, tight and better placed into the sound stage.

The Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power Cord enters the power feed to the amps. The addition of speed takes place. What I thought was a deficit in the speed of the Denons was a flaw in what was brought to them in the system. It was like finding out they were a new set of headphones. Drums would attack and decay with harmonics, tone shifts would take you almost out of your seat with surprisement.  Could these things really be world class headphones? What else could be done for them and how would they react?  A set of Virtual Dynamics Master Series RCA interconnects are then put in between a Rega Planet Compact Disk Player and the Woo 5 LE RCA inputs. Now the Denons responded with speed and detail. OK, I said I’m not into the upgrade cycle! I’m not, I’m not. I do need a new CD player though.

Equipment Used For Denon AH-D 7000 Headphone Review

Cable Inventory

Virtual Dynamics Master Series RCA interconnects
Electra Glide Audio Reference Glide-Reference Standard "Fatboy" Power Cord
Electra Glide Audio Epiphany X2 Power Cord

Pros: Full bodied, energetic & fun, good build quality, very comfortable

Cons: loose bass, congested, lacks transparency and clarity, poor imaging and instrument separation

The Extinct Denon D7000

Hey guys,

I’ve been waiting for a long time for an opportunity to listen to the famous D7000 and I am really happy I have a few days with it.

In one of my visits to Jack-Fi, I found a pair of forgotten Denon D7000 there, as they are specialized in speaker systems mostly. After 3 weeks I’ve been there again and found them in the same place and same position. So it was clear they would part with them easily for a few days :D

I like its’ overall looks, but it feels a little cheap compared to other headphones at that price. They are very light weighted and very comfortable though.

P1290112

One thing that popped into my attention was the fact that the cable is not detachable, and at the price was selling, I don’t find that ok.

P1290109

Sound Impressions

The first time I have listened to them I liked them very much. They have an interestingwow factor because of their fun and engaging tonality.

Bass

The bass is very present in these cans, especially the mid bass. However the bass lacks some punch and is a little loose. Overall I like the bass presentation, but sometimes there is too much bass leaking into the mids.

Mids

Some of the instruments are a little in the background but still enjoyable. However, the mids bring the vocals forward. I just love listening to Leonard  Cohen, Frank Sinatraor Lana Del Ray on D7000.

Treble

I’ve heard people complaining the D7000 is bright. I found the treble quite on the smooth side, even recessed on some ocasions.

Fun Tonality

I like the  fun tonality of the D7000 a lot. It has a meaty & full sound.

Transparency & Openness

What I felt was missing is clarity,  transparency & openness in the sound that made me putHD800 on, just to take a “breath of fresh clear air”.

Transient response & decay

I find that the transient response is not that impact-full as I would like. The decay is a little slow in my opinion. I feel this could be a little improved with a good silver cable.

Imaging

The positioning of the instruments is not so clear, the sound being somehow congested, instruments tend to blend in on the same layer.

P1290113

Conclusion

Overall the sound of the D7000 is very engaging, energetic and fun. They are absolutely brilliant with rock.

I also love both male & female vocals with it.

So in the end loved to listen to rock, electronic music, vocals, pop and even some jazz with it.

Even-though they have a lot of cons, I think they are my favorite closed cans now for the music genres above.

I am quite sad Denon discontinued them. I am very curious how D7100 stands near it.

Pros:

• full bodied tonality
  • energetic & fun
  • excellent with vocals
  • good build quality
  • very comfortable

Cons:

• loose bass
  • congested
  • lacks transparency and clarity
  • poor imaging and instrument separation
  • the cable is not detachable

Pros: Great bass, Great treble, Beautiful look

Cons: Recessed Mids, non-detachable cable, storage case, price

Really good sounding headphone with incredible bass.  I owned these for about six months.  They sound powerful for lack of a better word.  Definitely a V-shaped sound signature.  The bass can be a bit much sometimes, a bit sloppy, but I usually find it quite enjoyable.  Just a really fun headphone to listen to.  That being said I don't feel that they quite compare to some of the other $1000 offerings from competitors (in terms of overall sound quality) or really outperform less expensive models by that much (Pro900, He-400, dt990 for example).  I also didn't care for the headband, the earcups always slid when I didn't want them to and I've read a few stories of the cups falling off at the hinge, which I don't find hard to believe since it's attached by one small screw.  Overall I enjoyed these, but I do prefer a "colored" sound signature.  These certainly aren't neutral, but a very fun listen.

Pros: Great bass weight and detail

Cons: flimsy headband swivel

Fun cans. Very enjoyable warm and bassy but good detail. Not as fleshy and forward in the mids as some but a very good sounding phone. No complaints.

Denon AH-D7000 - Headphones
By:

Slip on Denon's AH-D7000 reference headphones and instantly transport yourself to the world's finest concert halls and recording studios. Blending old world style craftsmanship with the latest transducer technology, the AH-D7000 features real mahogany wood housings that are custom-crafted for superior acoustical performance. The elegant and comfortable over-the-ear design assures hours of listening comfort, aided by the lightweight Duralumin headband, along with soft leather ear pads and headband cover. Denon's exclusive Acoustic Optimizer technology equalizes the sound pressure in front of and behind the Microfiber driver diaphragm for the most neutral and uncolored tonal balance. The elegant mahogany housings feature piano grade satin sheen finish with magnesium fittings.

BindingElectronics