Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Denon AH-D1100

Denon AH-D1100

Rated #76 in Over-Ear

Pros: A more detailed sound than I'm used to, but still with lots of tuneful bass

Cons: Flimsy feeling build quality, especially the silver colored plastic bits

This is my first ever review, so please excuse my amateurish fumbling attempts at describing sound. I will do my best, but don't expect the work of a seasoned professional!

The Denon's are my 4th set of "good" headphones, but the only set I have used consistently since I started getting into head fi are my beloved Audio Technica ATH 700 Pro MK2's.

I went looking for a new set primarily because the Audio Technica cans are still too uncomfortable due to clamping even after a lot of use, and even after replacing the stock pads with M50 ones. I primarily use them at work, and that means many straight hours of listening (I'm a programmer), so comfort is a big concern for me.

The other motivating factor was that after listening to a few other models recently (notably the Sony MD1R's that I nearly bought when I saw them on sale in an airport), I have started to realise that the 700 Pro's are a little... um... samey? I lack the vocabulary for describing sound that most reviewers here have. What I'm trying to say is that they seem to smooth everything out a bit. Everything sounds kind of melded and creamy as if the top has been cropped off a bit. The bass is what attracted me to them, and what has kept me faithful for so long, but like I said... samey. Different albums and genres all seem to sound similar through them it seems to me - like an instrument I guess - whatever music you play on it, it still sounds like that instrument.

Anyway, I digress. This is a review of the Denon D1100's, not the 700s.

Test gear:

Denon AH-D110's (obviously) - brand new with zero burn in.

Audio Technica ATH 700 Pro MK2's - for direct comparison.

Cowon C2.

Fiio E11 amp.

Build:

When I first unpacked them, I had a bit of a sinking feeling to be honest. I read a lot of reviews (especially on Amazon) complaining about the build quality, or more accurately the quality of the materials. They feel flimsy and brittle, especially the silver coloured plastic bits, and I am certain they would not stand up to being sat on or dropped from any appreciable height.

Another major downside for me is that the cable is not removable. The cable is (usually, although I'm not sure in this case) the weakest & most vulnerable part, and should therefore always be easily replaceable on all but the cheapest cans in my opinion.

Compared to the Audio Technica's (OK, they're designed for DJ's but still), the build quality on the Denon's does not fill me with confidence that they will last.

Comfort:

Brilliant. They are light, the pads are soft & sensibly sized, and the grip is firm without clamping.

Sound insulation for me seems very good, and initial experiments suggest they don't leak much.

I do not have a whole lot of reference or experience here, so once again I'm going to have to resort to a direct comparison with the 700 Pro's.

The Denon's have bags of bass! It's not quite as punchy and aggressive as the teeth rattling capabilities of the 700's, but every bit as tuneful - possibly even more so! Amplified, they really start to thump! The RZA's Grits turned up moves an incredible amount of air in those pads - even to the point of being quite overwhelming, almost unpleasant even. Actually, they seem a little more bass sensitive than the 700s - you don't need to work them as hard to really get the drivers traveling. I can see I am going to need to dial it back a bit on the EQ if I want to turn these up when listening to Hip Hop.

Where they really shine (at least to my novice ears) is in the separation. Highs are much clearer, and the mids are much more detailed. I can hear things that I now realise were there with the 700's too, but muted so that I never really noticed them before. Everything sounds much crisper, lighter, airier, and more playful. I am listening to Larry Carlton's All Blues as I write these words, and the interplay between the different instruments is absolutely joyful. The music seems to have much much more three dimensionality to it... not only is each instrument more clearly distinguishable, but also it's position in the soundstage.

Rock is a similar story - A Perfect Circle's Blue delivers in a big way through the 1100's. The vocals are clear and commanding, the drums kick confidently, the bass massages my earlobes reassuringly, and the guitars are ... just so THERE. I don't know how else to say it, but hopefully you have some idea what I mean.

Even older and accordingly lower quality recordings like Led Zep's Lemon Song sound great through these cans. They don't seem to refine the sound or take away any of the rawness. Perhaps the guitar solo in the right channel around the 1:40 mark was a bit TOO harsh and high, but that could be because I am used to the muted mid-y quality of the Technica's.

Conclusion:

I got these headphones from Amazon UK for 60 quid (GBP) - at that price, I would definitely recommend them to any new head-fier who, like myself, is looking for a comfortable, fun and bass heavy listening experience. I'm looking forward to spending some more time with these things. They will be going to the office with me on Monday instead of the 700's, and I'll see then whether they are less fatiguing over a long listening session.

Pros: +++Exellent soundstage! ++great highs +Heavy and fully bass ++Pretty detailed +++Extremely comfortable and light! ++Great isolation +flexible build

Cons: -Recessed midrange (Can be Equalized) -Bass can be muddy --Ugly, cracking arms --Two sided, non-changeable, weak cables

I've own these headphones for about year and a half now. I've been listening with them about 80 hours in the car/bus, 15 hours in airplanes and 150 hours at home on my computer.
This is just a short review of my experiences with the D1100s.

Pros: Entertaining sound, comfort and musical

Cons: Subdued mids, bass can get a bit 'boomy'

For the first week I LOVED these headphones but, sad to say, with time I found more and more holes in their performance. For the money these are very good value but not a 'must try' unless you are looking for a U shaped response curve. Detail in the highs is pretty good, nice airy feel instruments/vocals sound spread out. Bass is warm, gets low and is very good fun for the pseudo bassheads. The mids are where these really fall apart. At first I was so entertained by the highs and lows that I neglected the mids, then I put on my Audio Technica M50s and realised the Achilles heal of the Denon's. The M50s have a pretty flat response curve and nothing is really suppressed or exaggerated. The same cannot be said for the Denon's with their U type response curve. Great if you want sparkly highs and deep bass but not so good anything in between.

Pros: Much bass and comfort

Cons: bass is abit muddy also they lack midrange

Not much to say, a reason why I returned them right before 45day. The bass in theese are the best part, it is punchy and it is alot more than a neutral headphone. But at the same time the bass do bleed into the mids making it hard to hear on bassy songs.

Also they kinda feel cheap like they can brake easy, I would have kept them if i mainly listened to to electronic music. But for the most I listen to jazz and some indie pop and the lacking mids make them fall back for me.

But at the same time the cheap Sony xb500 has better mids and even more bass, this makes me feel that the new denon is really noth worth the money they ask for it. My Sony mdr-1r for example cost 20$ more and they sound out of league compared to the denon. Better bass and more detailed but less quantity, much better mids and no bass bleed. But also have the withdrawn higs on both models, it make both of them really non fatiguing at all.

Enough rant, they are not horrible but I feel there is better options out there that cost the same or less.

Pros: comfortable, seemingly accurate reproduction, work good un-amped, solid but not overwhelming bass

Cons: headband to cup swivel connector seems a bit flimsy

These are my first non-ipod earbud or cheapass $20 skullcandy-esque on-ears. I got them used on the forums here for $80 which seemed like a steal as they are $200 new on amazon. Needless to say they blow anything i have listened to out of the water. I listen to bass heavy electronic music and they do a great job with it. It is not muddy at all and the high frequency synths are reproduced faithfully and layer nicely with the tight powerful bass. It's not really a con but after an hour+ of listening when i take them off my hearing is a bit muffled, not in a too loud of music ringing way but in a used to isolation closed design kind of way. They don't really block out a ton of noise for being closed ear but there is some outside noise suppression. I listen at medium volume levels and have studied within a few feet of people who said the minimal sound leakage was not bothersome. Outside of 6-10 ft. I don't think you could hear much at all given normal listening volumes. They seem to have more potential to give an I'll hopefully have them LOD'd to a Fiio e11 here shortly. I think that could boost the bass to earthquake like levels as the drivers seem capable of more than my iphone can power on their own through the headphone jack. I got these used and have already listened to them for over 48 hours so I assume they are adequately burned in (if they weren't already) I can't really comment on the more audiophile aspects such as sound-stage or ultra-detailed frequency analysis but all I can say is I'm extremely happy with my purchase and think these are a great introduction to decent quality cans.

These were my first over ear headphone. At the time I went to a retail store and tested the D2000, D5000 and the D1100. Due to price considerations I went away with the D1100.

Build Quality

The headphone in terms of worksmanship is commensurate with the price. The back of the cups are some kind of alloy while the rest of it is mostly plastic construction. This helps keep the headphone light. The ear-pads are reasonably soft and there were no manufacturing faults.

Where I have to fault the design is the use of plastic in the arms that secure the cups. Over the course of about 4 months of moderate usage the arms started to crack and eventually one of them broke. I was able to super glue it and it has held up for the last month or so without re-breaking. In the interest of full disclosure I have a fairly large head.

Those who would buy these headphones should take care to take them off by not pulling out on the cups but rather pulling out at the pivot to reduce the stress on the thinner plastic arms.

These are very light and there is very little clamping force. This combined with reasonably soft pads makes for a very light listening experience. One can often forget that these are on his or her head.

Since these are closed back and use some kind of synthetic leather there is very little ventilation for your ears and they may get hot after a few hours of listening.

Frames of reference are:

Etymotic MC5

HiFiMAN HE-400

These are definitely bass heavy and this bass does leak through into the mids. While there is a lot of bass I am left wanting a little more clarity.

The mids are well detailed to my ear if a little recessed.

The treble is a little rolled off compared to the HE-400.

Overall these are a warm can that will appeal to those who love their bass.

Soundstage is fairly good. I am not one who experience a lot of depth to music but I can say the separation between instruments is good but I would not say it is easy to pinpoint where each sound is coming from in 3D space.

It is very easy to drive and you will not have trouble with it out of a portable music player without an amp. This combined with its portability is a big plus for people who would want to use these on the train or during commutes.

Pros: Bass quality, quantity. Comfort, sound for the price

Cons: Fixed cable, balance

Pretty much all has been said already. Excellent value, very good bass, mids and highs are a little laid back. Really comfortable. Perfect first pair of headphones for anyone looking to get a better musical experience from an iPod.

Pros: light, fair price, low bass

Cons: Durability

The price is quite nice to purchase this pair from the Amazon UK. The sound is not bad, which gives you enough feeling of the space. But without a good amp, I guess the space is a little 'void'. For example, the symphony, you would feel that you are sitting a little too far away from the orchestra. The plastic feeling is not that good, especially it creaks sometimes. But it does not really matter if you focus on the music.

Pros: Sound Quality, Comfort

Cons: Durability, Attention to detail

Please do not buy these headphones. Don't get me wrong, I bought them a couple weeks ago and love them to bits in terms of sound quality and comfort, but they've been a nightmare. It started, after owning them for a single day that the headphone jack broke. Although this was partially my fault, and there is probably nothing uncharacteristic about the jack, but i've noticed a couple of flaws in case this happened, which it obviously did. Firstly, the piece just down the cord from the jack which is obviously just to help plug it in etc, is extremely large, therefore making it easy for pressure to be applied to it, breaking the jack. Also, if the jack is broken, it may not seem like a problem, just replace the whole cord right? $10 or so shouldn't be a problem? except the cord is permanently attached to the headphones, and therefore renders it useless. Also, having now owned them for two weeks i've noticed the cheap plastic structure isn't just tacky, but structually unsound. Upon examining my headphones i've noticed several hairline (and some not so hairline) cracks all across the plastic arms, one of which is halfway down the width of the arm, and I would personally give it another few weeks of usage before they broke altogether. So again, top headphones - but durability is appalling, not worth anywhere near the 100 pounds (roughly USD$170) I paid for them. Thoroughly disappointed.

Pros: Comfort and best value.

Comfort and best value.But middle sound is liad back.

Denon AH-D1100
By:

The new AH-D1100 from Denon, Japan is one of those headphones you will find at a concert hall or a recording studio. Featuring the hybrid resign and aluminum housing to reduce the vibration. The newly developed Acoustic Optimizer adjusts sound pressure balance on both sides of the diaphragm. This pressure balance improves dynamics, bass and low to mid frequency ranges for stunning clarity and detail. The overall headband and earpad designs are structured to stay comfortable. Accessories include a standard plug, 3.5m extension cord, and a carrying pouch.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Denon AH-D1100