Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic

Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic

Rated #66 in Over-Ear

Pros: Lush bass, good mids, sparkly treble

Cons: Average isolation

Sound Quality

Straight out of the box, it sounded great, pretty much like the original CAL!. I’ve done over 100 hours of burn-in. DAC is FiiO E10. As I mentioned in one of the posts, it reminded me a lot of Sennheiser HD 25-1-II. This can be a headphone for people who really appreciate bass (bassheads included).

Is this a neutral can? No, but it is definitely a fun can with a V-shaped signature. Most people on Head-fi claim to prefer neutrality, but the truth is a V-shaped response is perceived to be more balanced due to the equal-loudness contour.

The bass is deeper than even the HM5; has better extension than the original CAL!. I could feel the tactile low notes more at 20-30hz with the CAL!2.  The bass is excellent, tight and punchy. It’s got both quantity and quality, which is highly valued in the audiophile world. HM5’s bass is cleaner and tighter, whilst CAL!2 decays better.

I can’t really find much fault in midrange. The vocals don’t get drowned out by the bass or treble. There’s no detectable boom or muddiness in mid-bass. The warm signature makes listening to genres such as classical a bliss. I was rather surprised.  With bass-heavy music, it sounds just like you’re in a club (or places with good PA systems).

The treble is sparkly like the original, a tad more so than the HM5. Voices are airy as should be, while the high notes are by no means harsh or fatiguing; your mileage may vary. The bass, on the other hand, can get tiring after long listening sessions at high volume, for those unbalanced bass-heavy songs (which describe most contemporary music nowadays unfortunately).

The sound of CAL!2 is a lot fuller than the HM5. CAL!2 is more intimate; whereas the HM5 is more distant sounding and overall thinner. Though it doesn’t sound as open as the HM5, some people criticised the HM5 for its artificial hollowness. I guess I might be too spoiled by HM5.

CAL!2 is also great for gaming or movies. For competitive gaming, you would probably want an open bass-light headphone instead. For casual gaming or for pure immersion experience, this has the fun factor to bring it all out. The same goes for movies. Dialogue isn’t a problem. Cinematic effects are fantastic.

Conclusion

The sound is lush and sparkly. I think if you loved the first CAL!, you’ll love the new version. CAL!2 took what CAL!’s good at and improved upon it. Although I recommend buying the original CAL! if your budget is very tight (<$100), this upgrade is worth the extra money (with diminishing returns like everything else in the audiophile world). It has plenty amount of quality bass for the mainstream listeners while maintaining a clean and clear sound throughout the audio spectrum.

There are also premium models available that have active noise cancelling and wireless features – Creative Aurvana Live! Gold and Creative Aurvana Live! Platinum. Gold has the same driver as CAL!2 but Platinum has a 50mm driver, which potentially could mean better sound, similar to D2000/D5000/D7000? In my opinion, if they put the 50mm in the CAL!2 and let the Gold and Platinum have extra non-audiophile features like wireless and ANC, that would be perfect for us.

Pros: Soundstage, bass, build quality, detachable cable

Cons: highs, price ATM

I've had different headphones, ranging from M50, Momentums, and various lesser known brands.

This headphone though is very good! I have to say this: This may be the most comfortable headphone I've ever used. Sure, headphones that cost thousands of dollars may be more comfortable, but I'm not in that League!

I'd really like more treble, it may be a bit too laid back for me. Not ear-piercing treble, but just a tad more present.

The bass is really good! Not a basshead phone, but plenty of bass, extension and quality.

I've paired this with Nuforce dac and Fiio, and it sounds better this way. But it's not night and day difference. The DAC improves things though, like soundstage and bass.

I know a lot of people are waiting for this to come down in price, me too. So this will not be a 5 star rating, but 4.5 star, cause I still think it's a bit too expensive.

Pros: Bass, detail, wide soundstage

Cons: price, value

I really like this headphone. I've been trying various headphones in this pricerange, and decided on this one.

But maybe the Price is a bit too high, when comparing to the first Creative Aurvana Live?

The bass extension and quality is really good on this one, but I'm not sure if this is for bassheads. Fortunately the bass doesn't bleed into mids (very important for me!)

The treble is also nice, and the vocals too.

I've seen some Measurements on a russian website, and they look pretty good.

The build quality is nice, with metal headbands, and the cups swivel to which I like.

I don't like the cable because it's 2.5mm on the headphone end. I know you think this isn't an issue, but I like standard 3.5mm cables.

But like I said before, I think the Price is a bit too high ATM:/ That's will lover the value score a bit

-Tthorsen

Pros: Bass, asthetics, sturdy build quality, imaging, treble

Cons: None? Maybe flimsy cable

I've auditioned the first Aurvana a couple of times, and I've always liked it, but never purchased it.

Anyway, this new Aurvana is so good! I believe the drivers are the same as the first model, but these are definitely tweaked.

The sound signature is V-shaped, so it's more of a "fun" headphone. Neutralists won't like it, althought it's not over colored like some other Cans.

Vocals are airy and the soundstage is really good. I was seriously surprised to hear this kind of instrument separation from a Creatíve headphone.

Maybe the price will drop soon, but if you already own the first Aurvana, you must get theese!

Cheers

Pros: SOUNDSTAGE, comfort, design, build quality, detachable cable

Cons: cable, price

The CAL! 2 is a big improvement over the first version.

Creative brands this as a "premium headphone" on the box, but is it?

First thing I noticed was the soundstage. It's MUCH better than the first CAL!. Much more air overall in the music. Good for movies as well.

I thought the bass was too boomy at first, but after some burn-in it became better. Maybe I just needed to adjust to the new sound signature? But honestly, now after som burn-in I can definitely say that the bass quality and extension is better.

I don't like the cable. I mean it's fine for a headphone in this price range, but it feels a bit flimsy. I'll probably buy a new cable, since it's detachable.

The price is almost twice that of the firsl CAL!. I could spend a bit more, and go for the AKG K550, but honestly, the comfort on this headphone is better than the AKG, and I don't think there's a big difference in sound quality. I'd say the soundstage is the same? This headphone is a serious contender to other closed-backs with big soundstage.

The build quality is also an improvement, it just touches your head gently, and you don't feel pressure at all.

Overall, if you liked the much praised CAL! 1, go for this one!

Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic

Immerse yourself in true-to-life music and tighter bass tones in unmatched comfort with the Creative Aurvana Live!2. With cutting-edge Bio-Cellulose driver technology and meticulous acoustic tuning, it delivers a natural and faithful audio presentation. It also sports a detachable audio cable with an inline microphone and volume adjustment for you to communicate on smartphones. The Aurvana Live!2 truly fulfills your entertainment and communication needs. Compatible with the latest smartphones and tablets supporting 3.5mm 4-pole connector (CTIA standard). Functions may vary among devices. It is not recommended to use on a device with regular stereo or 3-pole socket.

BindingElectronics
BrandCreative
ColorBlack
EAN0054651183933
FeaturePrecise 40mm Neodymium magnet drivers with Bio-Cellulose diaphragms offer a faithful and natural audio playback Premium soft protein faux leather ear padding with memory-foam is ultra comfortable for long listening sessions Detachable audio cable with inline microphone and remote offers volume adjustment and ability to answer calls For audiophiles, able to retrofit with another cable of the listener's choice Ships with Aurvana Live!2 Headset, one detachable flat audio cable with in-line microphone and 1-button remote with volume adjustment, 2.5mm to 3.5mm gold-plated 4-pole plug
LabelCreative
ManufacturerCreative
Model51EF0660AA002
MPN51EF0660AA002
PublisherCreative
StudioCreative
TitleCreative Aurvana Live! 2 Headset with 40mm Drivers and In-Line Mic (Black)
UPC054651183933