Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Brainwavz Delta

Rated #64 in In-Ear

Pros: value for money, clear sound, build quality, all metal housing

Cons: can't find any for this price range

Introduction

I first got to know the company few months ago, when I was looking for a portable amplifier. They were about to release or they have just released the Brainwavz AP001 portable amp, so this was my starting point. I then visited their website http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/index.php, became interested with their products and decided to buy some and try them. The Brainwavz Delta made quite an impression on me as I can define them as a great all-rounder, they have everything you might need from your earphones in the low price segment. Or at least I can place them there, I don’t know about the head gear market research teams. With their price of $22.50 (I got mine from http://www.mp4nation.net) I believe they are targeting people who would not like to spare a lot on a new pair of earphones or just like to get something that will be easily sacrificed in the fitness center or lost during your morning run. However, I suggest you don’t underestimate these earphones, because they can compete with some pricier offers out there.

First Impressions

As you might guess, I get my first impressions on the box before opening.

The Brainwavz Delta earphones  come in a nicely designed standard plastic case. A fine touch is the company’s logo on the tamper proof stickers. You can see the producer’s promise for “Clear Instruments & Vocals”, as well as a “Balanced Bass & All Metal Housing” on the front side of the package. From the rear sides you will learn that there’s a “12 Months Warranty” and that the box “Includes COMPLY Premium Earphone Tips”. Of course you have the specs as it follows:

Drivers: Dynamic, 8 mm
Rated Impedance: 16 ohms
Frequency Range: 20 – 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 100dB @ 1 mW
Rated Input Power: 20 mW
Cable: 1.3 m Y-cord, Copper
Plug: 3.5 mm, gold-plated.

On the back of the box you can read that “The Brainwavz Delta produce vocals and instruments with detailed clarity, letting your music sounds as good as their artists intended. These all metal housed earphones are tuned to sound good with any genre of music.” OK, that’s a powerful promise, if you like to see if I agree with it, I’m afraid you have to read my whole review.

Also on the back is stated that these earphones are compatible with different sources of sound signal, i.e. you can easily hook them to your mobile phone, music player, computer, etc., as you might be expecting, and you can get some information about the contents and accessories. So, let’s look what’s inside!

A Closer Look (and Feel)

Inside the box you will find the earphones themselves, 3 sets of silicone tips (S, M, L), a set of Comply foam tips (S-400, to be precise), a nice velcro strap so you can keep the cable winded if you like to, and a brief instruction manual with the warranty printed on its back.

I have to say that these earphones look very well made and I also find them to be very beautiful.

First thing I’m noticing is the metal housing, yes they are all metal, even the pretty red caps. To me, this looks and feels really nice, more expensive and it speaks quality. The earphones are small, lightweight and I find them very comfortable. I can easily put them on and off, they have a good grip and there’s no need to pull them out by the cable. There’s also a nice, soft elastic strain relief that will not bump against your ears. The silicone tips are of a good quality too, they fit well and they will not fall off or remain in your ear (yes, I experienced that on some other earphones). The S size are the smallest eartips I have ever seen and I believe that will please those with small ears. As for me, I’m OK with the large size. Of course, you can always get some other tips, there’s plenty of shapes, colours and sizes, or you can try the Comply foam tips that come in the package. They are medium size and don’t fit my ears quite well, but will fit most. You can check them online, http://www.complyfoam.com/, they come in different size and shapes, so these have to be the Sport series, size M. As you could see their price ($9 for 2 pairs), you will probably appreciate this gift from Brainwavz. Just be careful if you decide to try them, as the foam comes unstuck from the core when you put them off your earphones.

I also like the cable of the Deltas, it’s very soft silicone cable, feels great in touch and the best thing is it doesn’t tangle. The plug is gold plated, angled at 60 degrees which is very practical for me, and it has a well made strain relief, very flexible. Some would say the cable splitter is bulky, but I find it interesting and it doesn’t bother me at all; it’s flat enough so no problem to put it under your shirt. There is a neck strap and the Brainwavz logo is printed on the splitter. Now this might be very handy, as there is no embossed markings on the eartips to show you which is the right and which is the left in the dark. Yes, there’s the R and L letters, but you have to turn the lights on to see them. So, what you have to do is just touch the splitter and feel the round logo that has to be face up, the other side is smooth. Now you can easily find what’s right and what’s left.

OK, I do believe this has to be the most important part of an earphones review and yet I find it very subjective. It depends on the reviewer perception, preferences, even expectations, on the device they are hooked to. I have read reviews on the same thing, stating completely different things about the sound picture. So I will be giving you my points on the subject and hope they will be helpful to you.

Here I have to say I totally agree with the manufacturer’s promise on the box. I am very, very pleasantly surprised by the sound of those babies. What do you normally expect of a low priced pair of earphones? A V-shaped sound with a very boosted bass that will overcome all the other frequency ranges and will blanch the total sound picture. I believe there’s a reason for that, first impressions of the mass customer will be: “Oh, great bass, it sounds so much better then the TV or my laptop built-in speakers, I can hear so much more!”; the truth is that you can’t as the artificial bass is masking everything else and even if it wasn’t, the mids and treble would be represented with a poor quality.

The thing I love about the Brainwavz Delta and makes them stand out in the crowd is the fact that you can actually hear everything. They don’t sound flat, it’s a slightly V-shaped signature sound and there’s nothing wrong with that, usually that’s how the EQ of a music device is set, you’re not listening to a telephone after all. The bass is there, it’s punchy and it has an edge and I believe it will also please the sworn bassheads out there. As a bass player, I would say there’s enough bass and you know we’re never happy with the amount of bass. The bass is not as muddy as you will hear it on most of the low priced earphones, so it will not blunt your perception of the other frequencies. The mids are great represented, vocals are very clear and beautiful and you can hear all the details; me, for example, I don’t need to boost the mids on the EQ when I’m watching a movie on my computer as I usually do. Same thing with the treble, clarity and detail, that’s what I can say. You can really hear sounds you never did before and the high frequencies are not irritatingly hissing. There’s also this spatial perception you get with these earphones, I believe it’s because of the clarity of the sound; not talking about reverb or a digital surround sound effect, it’s just like a band is playing in front of you and not inside of your head which is the common feeling when you’re listening to some cheap products.

Summary and Final Thoughts

At the end I can conclude that I will definitely recommend the Brainwavz Delta as my first choice when it comes to spending $10 to $30 on a new set of earphones. If you’re used to earphones in that price range and you don’t think of changing them, I would also recommend you to spend some $20 on these and you will be very happy with your investment. Why I feel so positive about that? Well, there’s great value, outstanding build quality that surpass this price range, clear and realistic sound, that’s what you need and that’s what these babies got.

My choice was black, but you can also get them in silver colour, there’s an optional microphone and remote control. You can check where to get them on the manufacturer’s website http://www.yourbrainwavz.com/buy.html, probably there’s a retailer near you, or you can order them online, don’t forget to look up for discount or bundle offers as well.

I really hope this review would be useful to you, I will appreciate your feedback very much, please do read and watch some others because there’s a lot of opinions out there.

Pros: foam tips, nice cable/durability, sound

Cons: driver flex with silicone tips

Before I start, I am no audiophile and have very, very limited experience with good headphones/earphones. This review is more of just my impressions as someone with almost nothing better to compare it with.

I got this for less than £10, which was an amazing steal, considering how good they are. The packaging is nothing special, just typical retail type mostly-transparent small plastic box. Mine came with foam tips already on the earphones, and the rest of the silicone tips (just s,m,l single tips) in a separate bit of the box. Design wise they look pretty cool, mine are black with a small amount of red which works quite nicely. The earphone shape is similar to the RE400 I think, and is pretty small, but depending on how deep you insert, the back end of the "barrel" can rub against the edge of my ear (though this can be fixed by inserting it deeper). I'd never used foam tips before, so it's awesome that you get a pair free with these (especially awesome considering the price of a pack of 3 pairs of foam tips costs £15...), and I'll never go back to silicone tips. The little bit of time spent fiddling with them to compress and insert well is worth it for the comfort and seal. the cable is very nice, it's actually very tangle resistant and nice and smooth. There is a great strain relief on the plug, and decent strain relief on the ear pieces and y-split. I have no doubt this will last a very long time.

The sound, like I expected, is pretty neutral. All I have to compare these with is my Superlux 681-EVO - the EVO cost about double these earphones, at roughly £21. Honestly I feel like the delta is a bit more accurate, specifically with mids. It just sounds so much better than I expected, and is perfect with my clip+. The 681 evo obviously has a wider soundstage, and has more of a "big" sound. The bass goes a bit deeper and has a bit more rumble and seperation than the delta, but the delta still has good impact and accuracy.

I can't really comment on a lot else sound-wise since I have so little experience it would all be wrong and misleading to people reading this review. I find myself sometimes switching from my 681 evo to the deltas when I get tired of having big plastic-y headphones on my head, and I do prefer certain genres of music with them (Folk stuff, with lots of vocals. Angel olsen for example, sounds better in my deltas.)

The deltas retail for closer to £12 or £15, instead of the £9 I got mine open-box for, but that is still definitely worth it and I would 100% recommend these to anyone wanting good cheap earphones.

Pros: Great fit, decent mids, very durable

Cons: Bass could be more refined, treble peak gets annoying, no case--for $20 I don't expect too much

While the high end IEM market has more options than ever, the sub $20 market is largely full of mediocre products, save for a few gems like the Xiaomi Pistons and LG Quadbeats. Last year, before the Xiaomi fever, Brainwavz released their own contenders: the Deltas. I reviewed these a while ago, but I guess I never uploaded the review before my computer decided to crash, so this is my short rewritten review.

The packaging is basic, coming in a plastic box most sub-$20 big box IEMs come in, but don’t let that discourage their quality. Sadly, the Deltas don’t come with a case (not too surprising, but I wish they did), but they do come with three pairs of silicone tips and a pair of Comply tips. Their build is fantastic for such a cheap pair of IEM’s. Their cable is somewhat thin, but not any worse than the typical low end JVC offering. Their Y-splitter is obnoxiously large though. The housing is metal, which is somewhat uncommon for such little money. Overall, I’m pretty happy with their build; they make fantastic workout IEMs because their housings are small enough to stay in my ear and their cable is sturdy enough to survive the occasional snag.

It’s been a while since I’ve heard a Piston, and I’m too cheap to buy a pair because they’d see little use, so I’m going to avoid comparisons. But from what I do remember, the Pistons are slightly better at the cost of not staying in my ears nearly as well as the Deltas.

The Deltas are clearly tuned to be bass heavy, as most budget IEMs are. But like most budget IEMs, I wish the bass was a little more controlled. I hesitate to call it muddy, but it’s definitely not refined—kind of like brown sugar, if that makes sense. It doesn’t extend down to 20hz, but it can hold its own with tracks that require deep bass.

Midrange is usually where cheaper IEMs stumble. The Delta has a slight RE400esque tone to it, if a little but more laidback than the RE400 (I’ve only ever heard the RE400 balanced, so I may or may not be off  in that aspect). I heard the slightest bit of edge to it when I first used them, but after hours of running with them on, I either got used to it or it magically disappeared.

Their treble is probably the Deltas’ weakest point. It just doesn’t sound very coherent in the upper end.  There is a bit of a 10k peak that gets a little fatiguing for me after using them for over an hour, but I think I’m abnormally sensitive in that region because the W1000X has a similar peak and I that headphone actually gave me headaches.

The soundstage is abnormally large for such a cheap IEM, which is a pleasant surprise. It might be the treble peak that allows for a little more airiness than most other budget IEMs, so some people may enjoy that.

For $19.50, Brainwavz did  fantastic job at providing respectable sound in a great housing, but, as many of you know, Xiaomi did a better job at fitting great sound in a $25 package. Of course, I never got the best fit with the Xiaomi, so for now, I’ll keep my Deltas and be happy I actually have something that I can stand to listen to while exercising without wanting to cry if sweat eventually breaks them.

Pros: build quality, price, low microphonics, decent clarity

Cons: unrefined bass, grainy mids, average highs, driver flex, average instrument separation

Now let me start by saying that at the time I purchased these Delta's, I was looking for a step up to my Philips SHE3580's to get a better quality budget iem. I have just sold my JVC FX40's and my Sennheiser CX215. This before I bought the Vsonic VSD1S, GR99, or the LG Quadbeats. i was researching through head-fi for a budget bump in quality. The Delta's were getting a bit of positive press, so for $20.00, I took the dive. I was excited to receive my newest go to IEM. When i go them in the mail, I hurried home and did the mandatory 2 hour burn in with sweeps and noise at moderate levels before listening to them. Then I popped them in using my Sansa Fuze and E11 amp, and well...ummm....what's up with this "balanced bass"?? it was muddy and forward. The highs were nicely presented, but the mids were grainy and instrument separation was less than the SHE3580's. Ok so maybe they need some decent burn in time? I put a loop on my computer with the E11 amp, playing SKREAM! A few hours later i took them off the burn loop, and put them in again. This time I switched between the Sansa, my Sony 475, and iPod Touch. Though clarity improved and the highs were fairly refined and extended, the bass was still very unruly and unrefined. The grain in the mids was still present, taking away from the smoothness of the presentation, and the reported balance just wasn't there. These turned out to be bass forward/mid forward IEM's, where the bass simply wasn't refined enough to pull off a high end budget presentation like the SHE3580's or the LG Quadbeats. Even the JVC FX40's had better instrument separation and clearer mids than the Deltas. The biggest problem i was was that I had to turn the bass EQ down to get decent clarity, and flat, the grain in the mids really shown as these struggled to present instrument separation with average soundstage and definitely budget imaging. Even the GR99's excelled over the Brainwavz Delta's in these categories. Then there's the question of the mild but still noticeable driver flex from the shape of the aluminum housings. They are very small, and lightweight, and as such, with the design of the driver housing, driver flex tends to happen from the seal being moved within the ear canal from the housing construct. These are most definitely a $20.00 IEM, and no, IMHO they do not perform outside and above their price range. They perform right at the price they fetch. There are many budget IEM's that perform better and brighter at the price range, and exceed their domain. Several are mentioned above.

Now build quality is definitely a plus. These things are pretty, built like a tank, and the high quality cord is free of most microphonics and tangling. They also have a nice angled jack, and lovely strain relief. Gorgeous design...and BUDGET sound.

Pros: fabulous instrument emphasis and clarity , imaging , sound stage , fast decay , fantstic resolution for highs .

Cons: bass is not up to the mark , lags at times , vshaped sound sig , grainy .

first thing first ,

if you have doubts , please let me clear them , these are some of the best $20 phones in this world .

secondly , thanks to razzer001 , thanks man , for this review unit , love these phones .

i got these phones 2 weeks ago , and to make things clear these are burned in for nearly 90 hrs , before burning , bass was nearly non existent , every thing else was a bit unclear , more grainy sounding and lagged a bit more , and i was like is this it ? while listening to dispatch - circle around the sun and many other songs , it felt like stopping at times , for micro seconds , it feels like that till now but not much , but this phone lags with house music and busy songs ( could be just mine only but not likely ) , for something like james blunt and the passenger , this phone's performance is flaw less for its price .

lets start with the package and miscs , mine came with nothing else but a pair of m size ear tip and the phone itself , but the retail package comes with few more tips , and a pair of comply foam tips , you can't ask for a carry case at this price but a carry pouch and more easily a cable clip will do good , unlike ha-fx40 , these are microphonic , so please add a cable clip .

striking design , beautiful looking phones i must say , nice aluminum shells , white and red is not for everyone but are beautiful . L R marking is hard to find , they are on the side wall of the ear pieces , written in white hence making it hard to see under low light conditions , its not a big deal but these small things are frustration at times .

lets start the sq with bass , wont go deep down the spectrum , but manageable , not much resolution in there , detail is okay , fall behind competition in this department , pny midtown 200 and ha-fx40 are more resolving and has batter bass presence in them , ha-fx40 is deeper in the spectrum . a bit dry but fast enough , never muddy , decay is really nice . and never gets into mids at all .

mids does have a back seat , remember these phones have a v shaped sound sig , but not as big as ha-fx40 , fx40 are really deep into that V , even so delta is clear enough , as clear as eu400/500 , vocals are really clear thanks to the bass , instruments are nicely emphasized , you can hear even tiniest tingle of instruments clearly , top notch imaging , instruments are not much separable but are good enough , layering is not bad at all but you can not expect good layering at this price point , still you can clearly hear the background singers and instruments . sounds a bit unnatural , feels like the sound is coming form a a tin can , but its not a problem at all . overall this phone has beautiful mids and is par with many mid range phones . sound stage is really good , deep , not much wide , and feels hollow . overall imaging is just awesome , but overall clarity falls behind ha-fx40 due to its grainy sounding nature . you can hear nearly everything , but they are not clearer .

now comes the highs , in this phone , this part of the spectrum has most amount of detail , and are emphasized nicely , this spectrum drives the whole sound sig , peaky , but i love it , i love high end

spark , shining instruments , thanks to a mid-high bump , cymbals shines , and oh god i love this sharpness , cuts like a knife on butter , decay not to say at these are sharp enough , is fabulous . simply put , beautiful highs .

finally , sound sig , these might not please some , cuz at budget , most people want bass , pounding nonsense muddy kind of bass , but if you are not a bass fan boy , welcome to a more balanced treble oriented sound sig . with clear mids , not too dark , not too bright , slightly dry sounding phone . and not to forget a bit grainy .

some changes i would like to see is , some more bass , and a cable clip , please , a cable clip .

as it reads , sample unit .

so this is , brainwavz delta , the best non bass oriented / clarity oriented entry level phone . and can be a nice gift for your dear one .

have a nice holiday ahead , enjoy , good day .

Pros: Price, SQ, Soundstage, Price, Clarity, Price, Build Quality

Cons: No case? color scheme?

Finally! A solid performer from Brainwavz in both SQ and price! The Delta's lead time has been a bother for those of us who pre-ordered, however, rest assured the wait is worth it. There are plenty of budget bracket IEMs out there (believe me, I've heard a lot of them) and these are among the best.

Out of the box, the red and white color scheme certainly is eye-catching, along with the aluminum housing. They have solid strain reliefs, sturdy cable, and metal housing. No durability issues on the horizon here. The included tips will do the trick, however, replacements may be tricky as they have a very large nozzle. I was a little disappointed in the fact that they didn't come with a case, but for $20 what can you expect?

Upon first listen, I was less than impressed, however, they've grown on me. A lot. First impression consisted of a decent midrange surrounded by thin bass and lackluster treble extension. To be fair, I gave them a little time with my DX50 and I'm certainly glad I did.

The treble has extended much more, making me feel much better about the potential detail retrieval. They certainly aren't trebly enough to ever be considered sibilant, but they offer enough extension that I don't consciously want more.

The mids remind me of a diet RE400 (actually, come to think of it, the whole package reminds me of a diet RE400...). They're filled out nicely without being too aggressive or recessed. [cue Forrest Gump]. That's all I have to say about that.

The bass has improved with mental burn-in. I wouldn't say it offers a lot of slam but its presence is there when called for. I can enjoy Mingus equally as well as Macklemore. Granted there isn't a ton of sub bass, but the extension is plenty for a $20 IEM.

It also bears mentioning that the soundstage on these guys is impressive. The first time I realized that they deserved more attention was upon listening to a live Brubeck recording. As the upright solo started, I was looking over my shoulder to locate the sound of something I thought was behind me! That's not exaggeration. Perhaps the large nozzle helps with this, but the Delta's positioning and sense of space is good. Period.

The only aspect in which I'd like to see a change is the color scheme. Yes the red and white is cool and little different. But honest if the red OR white was changed to black, I think they'd be a lot easier on the eyes.

Overall this is an excellent budget IEM from Brainwavz that has earned a spot in my lineup over a handful of others that cost twice as much.

Pros: Value to Sound Quality Ratio, Robust Build Quality

Cons: None at this price

""

The Brainwavz Delta is a new benchmark in the budget iem market. For an asking price of $22, you get metal housings, a very pliable but sturdy cable and good strain reliefs all the way around. Size wise the housings are reminiscent of the new Hifiman RE series and they come with a decent selection of tips; I prefer the stock white tips. Wear style is over the ear or down but I prefer them over the ear. While the Deltas do not come with a case or pouch, they really look to be able to take a beating and best of all- they sound fantastic!

""

The first thing I noticed out of the box is pretty nice balance. Most offerings in this price range tend to be bass first and boomy but not so with the Deltas. That’s not to say they are lean on bass, and in my estimation, they are on the plentiful side. They do have a nice deeper rumble but more of the bass seems to be focused around 200hz without becoming over bearing or over doing it.

The next noticeable aspect is that they have very nice shimmer and sparkle to the treble, which is prominent and fairly balanced to the bass. Dips are 8 and 10k, placing much of the shimmer around 7and 9k. The Delta also appears to have nice extension beyond the typical 10k drop-off.

This description would lead one to believe the Deltas are V shaped but somehow I don’t really get that impression. The midrange stays pretty prominent before taking a moderate dip between 2 and 4k, leaving a somewhat laid back upper midrange but it definitely doesn’t get lost in the presentation.

""

Comparison to SoundMagic E10 ($35)

The E10 has more sub bass rumble and in general a similar overall bass presence/quantity as the Delta, however both are very satisfying with a rich and rounded note. Both have excellent treble sparkle but the Delta may have the edge here, while I really love the tonality and smoothness of the E10, the Delta doesn’t give up much in tonality to it and seems to have bit more treble articulation/precision. The trade-off is just a touch more occurrence of sibilance from the Delta. Both present vocals fairly similarly, laid back but very clear, with perhaps the Deltas a little more forward. The result is a wider, airier soundstage in the E10 but a taller, more forward soundstage in the Delta.

Conclusion

While the E10 costs $13 or so more, its cable isn’t as robust or as pliable. Also its strain reliefs are not as robust but it does have metal housings. It really is quite an accomplishment for the Delta to offer these qualities at such a reduced retail cost. I’ve only compared the Delta to the E10, as it is the only iem under $50, maybe under $75 I’ve heard that competes with it. The E10 has been my budget benchmark in sound quality and build since its release. I’m happy to say that the Brainwavz has equaled it at an astonishingly cheaper price. You really can’t go wrong with either and I’m happy to be an owner of both.

Thanks to Brainwavz for the review sample.

Pros: well built and balanced sound with exceptional clarity for an IEM at it's price point.

Cons: treble can be a bit grainy

I received this IEM from the manufacturer to review. I have to admit I was bit excited about this particular IEM because I had a feeling it might be an anomaly in the IEM world in regards to it's signature versus it's price point. Prior to receiving this IEM almost all IEM's at the $20 price point have had a tendency to be really cheaply built or congested bass oriented thumpers that just give me a head-ache. I was very happy to find out my hunch was CORRECT!

Out of the box the sound of these little guys has been pleasantly neutral, offering a nice balanced bass line in conjunction with the midrange and treble and they are surprising clear sounding with an average sound stage. If I have one small concern it would the grain I hear in the treble but this issue is not to severe and the treble is still better than anything else I have heard at this price point.

I also am very impressed with the build quality as well. These have excellent strain relief a solid feeling cable. The cable is a bit springy but again is better than most IEM's at this price point. They also come with a good selection of tips and an excellent semi hard case for their mere $20 price tag.

In regards to isolation these will not win any awards but they average to maybe a bit above average in this regard.

All of this adds up to being one of the best bargains I have seen in a good while. The only thing that should stop anyone from buying these is if they WANT a heavy bass response. In which case these will not satisfy and I would recommend something like the Brainwavz S1 instead.

All of my listening has been done from my Nokia 920 phone using 256KB MP3 files. The genres I used for the testing were Jazz, classical choral, orchestral, classic rock, Celtic music, and a smattering of country. In all cases the Delta sounded good. I only hit a very small selection of music where I wished I had more bass. In most cases the music sounded nice and balanced without coming across as boring or clinical.

Brainwavz Delta

New well built, balanced sounding budget IEM from Brainwavz.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Brainwavz Delta