Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Bose®AE2 audio headphones

Bose®AE2 audio headphones

Rated #140 in Over-Ear

Pros: Clear & open sounding, unexpected deep bass notes, lightweight, comfortable, removable cable

Cons: No bass punch, might lack body to the vocals for those who like warm headphones, poor isolation.

Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors.

The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight headphone with large and deep earcups that completely surround your ears with little pressure and are very comfortable.

The voicing on these is like the fit, it is a clear and open sounding headphone, I think they gain this clear sound by slightly dropping the mids, the sound doesn't have the warm body of say my DJ orientated headphones like the V-Moda M100 or the AKG K267 or the tight and punchy bass with good texture. In fact first impression might be that these are bass light. But they do have some nice deep bass notes below 100hz, but around there and above there is little to no punch, kind of like the opposite of what you find with a Sennheiser Amperior. But it makes up for it by its enveloping soundstage and happy "live" sound feeling.

I think they are great for home listening. For some outside portable use it might be okay, but you might find the bass lacking.

Pros: Light weight, portable, changeable cable

Cons: not very durable

This was my first over the ear headphone - I always used smaller ones (earphones). I used this headphone for almost 2 years, and I was rather satisfied with it.

I found the sound quality good, but bass is a bit low compared to other brands - esp. Sennheiser's HD models.

Its design and comfort are the best attributes. It looks very good, it is a thin headphone, very easy to carry around. I used this at the office - sometimes all day (unfortunately I work with very noisy people :)) - and it never gave me  discomfort.

I always carried it within its pouch (it comes with a pouch), however, after 1.5 year the right ear started to go silent - if you hit it with your finger the sound would come back - but later it went completely silent. I must say, I was expecting a longer life from a Bose headphone.

Pros: Sound isolation, removable cable, confortable for long listening period, well built

Good phones, steady build, sounds ok out of the box. not bad for $100.

Updates

the headphone sounds really clean, with just the right amount of bass, maybe a bit less.

Pros: Supremely Comfortable, Awesome Soundstage

Cons: They have a bad reputation (not really a con), cable kind of cheap

I have used and adored the Bose AE2 headphones for years. When I say I've used them for years, I mean I've really USED them. I have no doubt that I've used these headphones for thousands of hours. They work for everything. I fall asleep with them on every day, I go running with them and get them soaked in sweat. I've even wore them in pouring rain. These headphones have withstood the test of time. These headphones stack up to just about every other pair of portable headphones I have owned. They trample the Sennheiser Momentum and Sennheiser amperior headphones in terms of comfort. They're portable as opposed to the other headphones I've tried like the Hifiman HE-400, AKG K240, Grado sr80i, and Sony V6. They're also good for bike riding because they isolate from wind noise. These headphones also have excellent separation. When I'm listening to metal music, I feel immersed in the music, and there's not too much bass intruding on the other sound frequencies like the Sennheiser Momentums. I'm no audiophile, but I definitely think these headphones sound better than the headphones that cost more than twice as much.

So you may be thinking, WHOA, this random dude is saying some mind boggling stuff. Well whatever, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind who already thinks bose is crap, and I honestly have no idea why people think that in the first place. I say if someone wants a pair of headphones to use for doing everything in, not to be used out of a desktop amplifier and dac, but instead out of their iPod like I like to use mine, hands down my vote goes to the Bose AE2. These headphones will love you, and you will love these headphones.

Pros: very comfy,could wear these for hours.

Cons: needs more bass and better sound quality

Here is my review of the bose AE2 audio headphones

So,I was at target,looking for some nice headphones.I had to chose between the beats solo hd's or the bose AE2 audio headphones.There not the bad boy on the block headphones like beats and sheinheiser are,but they get the job done.just crank these up and there not half bad.just wish they dropped the price about 20-40$ and i would give it 4 stars overall + It needs better sound quality and WAY more bass.if you have a ipod touch like I do MAKE SURE you turn the EQ to BASS BOOSTER!!! even then it still needs more bass,but these are not really built for rap and hiphop like the solo's are.Im gonna be getting the mixr's very soon,when i previewed them at target,they where the BOMB (sorry for getting of the bose AE2's) comfort is BEAST I have glasses so most headphones dont fit properly or are not comfy at ALL. but these I could sleep in,there that damn comfy.all an all I would reccomend this to a non-audiophile buddy.stick around for my mixrs review in the next few weeks

:) :) :) :) :)

Wyatt

Pros: EXTREMELY comfortable, portable, detachable cable, pretty durable

Cons: too expensive for sound

So i got these at a local best buy a while back. I was looking for a perfect pair of portable headphones. Even though Bose is looked down upon here and many other places but i don't judge until i hear. So i got these on a whim and best buy has a good return policy so i knew I could always return them if I didn't like them.

First off these are EXTREMELY comfortable! It's probably the best part of these headphones considering i consider comfort the second most important thing next to sound quality. The drivers are so angled that no parts of my ears touch anything! These also isolate pretty well and don't leak sound.

The headphones do feel cheap but are actually more durable than you would think. The cable is really thin and does feel cheap but it is replaceable so that makes up for it.

Now onto the sound. These sound OK. Thats it really. I found the bass to have presence but not overpowering surprisingly. Whats weird is that the treble is the most present part in these. There is a lot of treble to my ears and it was pretty sibilant. Theres a weird drop in the midrange too that i can't quite put my finger on. These sound empty because of it. Overall these sound OK for the price. If these were $80 to $100 the sound would be more easier to swallow.

Overall Im giving it 3.5 out of 5 since how comfortable it is (seriously has to be the most comfortable headphones i ever tried), isolation and build seems good. This is a luxury item and i could see how someone would love these as many do but it wasn't for me.

Pros: Comfy, changeable cord, durable, lightweight, easy to break in

Cons: Felt like they were always missing something, that little bit of OOMPH.

I had gotten these for Christmas last year and I have used them EVERYDAY since then.

The logo on each side has worn off but I do like the look of it.

These headphones are overpriced, and should realistically only be $75 TOPS.

The only reason they're $150 is because of the Bose name.

Audio Quality: These will leave you looking for more.

Durability: Don't worry about these breaking and if the cord gets torn, you can buy a new one.

Comfort: Can wear these for hours and feel fine. Very lightweight too.

Design: Alright, these don't look terrible. As stated, these are comfy and the headband is durable.

Overall, I'm giving it a 3.5. Could truly be better.

Pros: Strong headband Yes only thing good about then

Cons: Wires can not be replaced connected to earbuds & no mic

There is no way theses headphones are better that any of the beats. Also I think my iPhone 5 ear buds are just as loud, clear and have more base. There is no mic or volume control and the wires are attached to both sides of the head phones which is annoying. It was the worst purchase I've made in years and I actually bought 2 pairs and one of them left speaker doesn't work and other pair the wire is messed up so I get alot of stacic. They should have never made the list I'm testing out a pair of Beats Solo HD they are way nicer, the cord cab be replaced and it mic which you can use to skip songs control volume. Now I need to figure out the trick to get them to work on Xbox live. BOSE is really over priced. Beats might be to but at lease they are 10x as good with all the bells and whistles. Look around for the solo HD I saw Target/Walmart and best buy selling them for $169 and open box for $149.00 great value

Revised beats is good for kids I should have said I am looking at 2 pair Bose that both don't work one speaker in the headphones don't work and the other one the wires came loose they are overpriced and junk. As far as trolling you must be trolling your you when I'm replied. Do I need a picture to prove that I actually have them I can send it to you if you really want.

I'm Actually getting new headphones That's why was on looking and I notice how high they rated the Bose which I think our garbage I am possibly getting one of the following brands Grado, Sennheiser, Shure, Audio Technica, AKG, Denon, Bowers and Wilkins.

Unless that's not okay for you guys also then you name me a pair to get and I'll look them up But I really do not want to spend $400

They are sorta Comfortable but not that great because of the two wires that connect to each of the headphones single wire headphones are way more comfortable than these they get tangled all the time

UPDATE
Couple of things If you Google anything on the Internet even know I agree completely that beats and those are both junk They have helped lower the prices on other quality headphones because of all the hype especially the hype around beats which in turn is a good thing.

And when you have 13-year-old boys lightguide do they care more about style then they do about performance so it has to be the beats unless somebody can tell me a product that looks like beets and is a way better product That's why I'm buying me cheapest pair of beats I can get so I don't waste money

Pros: Sound Quality, Comfort, Design, and Name

Cons: Distortion, Thin Cord, and Price

I'm a HUGE Sennheiser customer/audiophile, and have been reading forums on the Bose AE2 headphones. The feedback on them were... bad. However, I find a way to enjoy any pair of headphones as much as possible, and to find the Bose AE2 headphones to be... decent headphones actually. I think they sound great in my opinion, and do have to make one complaint that they do lack mids A LITTLE. Not too much, but it's noticeable. Most people also say that they have exaggerating bass, and I just have to desist such rumors because the Bose AE2 has the perfect amount of bass. It has less bass than the Sennheiser HD 518, and that means something to me. Even more sad, the Bose AE2 sound better than the Sennheiser HD 518, but there are some things that Sennheiser HD 518 have that Bose AE2 doesn't. They Sennheiser HD 518 has less distortion. In fact, the distortion on the Sennheiser headphones are less noticeable than the Bose. When you play loud music with the Bose, you can hear them crackle. That's not good because I enjoy my music loud enough where I can feel it xD

I have to say this: at least the Bose AE2 sound 100x better than the Dre Beats Pro. The Beats are bass lusted headphones, and the Bose are just overpriced clear sound headphones with high distortion.

I also tried the Bose with a good amp and there has been a slight difference in sound quality improvement.

Do I recommend these? Well, if you are going to buy Beats or Bose, I will go with Bose. Other than that, no. These are not worth the price. I would price these, $90 or even $100. They are NOT worth $150. However, it seems Bose is finally trying to reach to a more natural sound, which is good. All that money in research takes forever to respond in action xD

I will be making a video on Bose AE2 vs Sennheiser HD 518 soon because people seem to be asking the question Sennheiser or Bose. I'll answer that simply for you ;)

Pros: Comfy, nice low profile cord, quality build, Bass is good.

Cons: Too much coloration, lacking performance in mids and highs.

I honestly think you could spent your money elsewhere whether you like a flat response or want thumping bass. I can imagine if these need an headphone amp to truly show their colors but then again Bose should make this point clear on the packaging. I could not find the impedance listed nor the frequency response. Typical big brother attitude from Bose but they must have forgotten their are others now to give them a run for their money. Either way bad experience as I could not get satisfactory sound for the price. Most mid and upper frequencies sound muffled. Breaking in for over 15 hours did nothing.

Bose®AE2 audio headphones
By:

Dedication to research and excellence. It's been the Bose approach to better sound since Dr. Amar G. Bose founded the company in 1964. Since those early days, Bose engineers have kept their focus on creating better technology. You'll find that focus exemplified in Bose AE2 audio headphones. Immerse yourself in your music with the improved audio performance of Bose AE2 headphones. You'll hear smoother audio throughout the entire frequency range, from full lows to clear highs. AE2 headphones can enhance your listening at home and on the go from your favorite audio sources, including portable players and laptops. Sound and Comfort AE2 headphones, with enhanced, proprietary TriPort acoustic headphone structure, deliver sound reproduction that conventional headphones can't match. And improved ear cushions, in both design and materials, give you a more comfortable fit. In addition, the adjustable, cushioned headband has been redesigned to distribute weight more evenly across the top of the head. As a result, AE2 headphones can provide hours of comfortable listening. Convenience and Durability The earcups are angled for a comfortable fit. And they rotate to fold flat, allowing for easy storage and transport in the carry bag. The audio cable attaches on a single earcup for greater freedom of movement and less tangling, and detaches for convenient storage.

BindingElectronics
BrandBose
ColorSilver
EAN0017817539975
FeatureFold-flat design and carry bag for easy storage and transport
Height6 inches