Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE

Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE

Rated #111 in In-Ear

Pros: EDM friendly, solid aluminum construction, low-tangle low-microphonic cable, plenty of accessories.

Cons: Recessed treble and mids, questionable cord design.

Disclaimer: the DX 160 iE was provided free of charge by Beyerdynamic for review purposes. No monetary exchange or donations were involved throughout the process.

Starting off simply, let’s discuss the accessories that are included in the packaging. For starters, the DX 160 iE comes with a small carrying case that has a gloss-black-on-matte-black screen-printed “Beyerdynamic” logo on one side.  Another inclusion is a small headphone splitter that allows you to share music with friends and a clip to keep the cable attached to a shirt or bag. They also provide 5 pairs of single flange silicon tips in various sizes, a double flange pair, and a pair of triple flange tips. And thankfully they take the extra step and include a pair of Comply T-400 foam tips as well. I personally love when an IEM manufacturer includes a pair of Comply tips as I feel they achieve a great seal and allow for better body and isolation.

Speaking of isolation, they’re not amazing by any means but they do a decent job of isolating. They don’t isolate as well as say my former set of Etymotic HF3 or my 1964-Q, but they’re no slouch either. I’m writing this review from an airport terminal and during the quieter songs I can clearly hear those talking around me. And when the music is paused I can clearly hear the music that’s resonating throughout the terminal. That said, when I’m not listening to piano sonatas they do a decent job of blocking out the ambiance around me. And if you’re looking for a headphone that can block out the sound of an aircraft jet engine then you really should look elsewhere. But if you want to drown out the sound of a bus/train/subway then I can say for certainty that these will be able to help. While riding the T around Boston this week I was able to enjoy my music in silence and escape the world around me for a short time.

And as someone who moves around constantly, I love a headphone that doesn’t have a microphonic cable. I always wrap the cable over my ear to get the most contact with my body so that it’s as non-microphonic as possible. The DX 160 iE’s microphonics are some of the better that I’ve heard in their price range. While I still prefer the exceptionally low-microphonic braided cables some IEM use, the flat cable that Beyerdynamic chose does a good job of keeping friction noise from interfering with my music. And another nice aspect of a flat cable is that it’s more resistant to tangling than some traditional cables. But even then I was able to get it into a knot on more than one occasion inside its carrying case.

But the cable is also one place I have to fault Beyerdynamic’s design choices. For whatever reason, they decided that to make it a split cord design. Now I’ve seen split cords for several years now and the reason was simple: use the shortened version when you have an arm mounted DAP and you’re exercising. That’s a great design when you’re highly active and need the headphone cable to be short enough that it’s not getting in your way. But Beyerdynamic saw it fit to place the 3.5mm headphone jack at the split for each ear.  Why would you do this so near the top? Honestly with how the headphone is currently, it would have been better for them to go with a single headphone cable and completely removed the extra weight from the jack/plug combo. This is where the clip comes into play for me. I use it directly below the connection and clip it onto my button-down shirt so it doesn’t sway when I’m moving. The packaging lists that the headphone comes with an extension cable as one of its accessories but for me it’s a requirement, not an option. They most certainly get negative points for their design in the cable area.

But the most important aspect of these headphones is the sound. I ran the headphones from my MacBook Pro with an AudioQuest Dragonfly as well as from my iPhone 5S using the FiiO E12. The DX 160 iE is a fun little IEM and I’ve enjoyed getting to know it these past few days. It has a fun sound and can make certain genres and songs come alive for me. I started listening to Spanish Delight by The Bo Keys and it’s definitely making my toe tap. The keyboard had a bit of energy that gave the song a bit life. But it’s not a perfect representation of the song. At time the bongos were overshadowed and even lost within the song and the bass line was a bit too forward. Some of the upper details like the sound of fingers sliding along the guitar strings and even a bit of the guitar’s energy weren’t present like they are on my 1964-Q. I would definitely say that the DX 160 iE favors the low end and at times the mid and upper ranges suffer.

Changing genres to a bit of metal (I chose Iijime Dame Zettai by BABYMETAL) I was once again left with a moderate impression of the headphones. On this particular track I felt that the headphones did a decent job of reproducing the sound of the drum machine and the low-end energy they provide. But then I was left wanting as the vocals sounded closed-in and lacked a bit of energy. I know the girls’ voices can really sparkle on a well-balanced headphone. The guitars were also pushed back a bit due to the low end bleeding into their range.

Genre jumping once again, I put on a selection from Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories. And here is where I started enjoying the Beyers. I enjoyed Giorgio by Moroder. The voice over was nicely balanced with the background music and once the song got into full swing it made my head bob along with the beat. It was one of the first songs where I really got into the music using the DX 160 iE. But that enthusiasm was restrained a bit once I moved onto Instant Crush and once again the vocals were recessed.

Another aspect of the DX 160 iE where I'd like to comment quickly is the soundstage. I feel that they do a fairly decent job of reproducing the soundstage as mastered on the track. I had on more than on occasion experienced a soundstage that surrounded me throughout the track and on others the soundstage felt congested and disappointing. As a whole, I have to say that they have a fairly medium sized soundstage. It's not large, but it's not what I'd call small either and it really comes down to the quality of the mastering. Going with a higher resolution recording will generally provide an improvement to the placement and separation of the instruments.

After listening to them exclusively during my time with them, I find that the Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE had the potential to be exceptional but as a result of the tuning they made some sacrifices that make it fall a bit short. I enjoy them for more bass-emphasized fun music, but when it comes to the treble I’d love to see it more pronounced and the mids could use a slight bump as well for a more balanced sound. You could use a little bit of EQ and pull back on the low end to achieve a more balanced presentation and for some people that may be where they go with these. If you enjoy booming bass and recessed mids/highs then these could definitely a contender in their price range. I feel that they provide a solution for those who listen to EDM and really want the low end to pop. But they just won’t hold up when playing jazz, blues, metal or several other genres where a V-shaped or flat presentation is welcomed. They’re not perfect by any means, but they’re definitely decent IEMs.

So would I recommend them to a friend? That’s a tough question. The cable is a bit of a stumbling block for me but if it didn’t bother them I could see this being a great IEM for some of my friends to buy. So yes, I’d recommend it based on the situation. For someone like me who wants a bit more energy throughout the range, it’s not a suitable choice.

I’d like to thank Beyerdynamic for making it possible for me to spend time with these headphones for a couple weeks and get acquainted. It was an excellent experience and I hope that they continue to offer this sort of loaner demo program to Head-Fiers in the future.

Pros: Organic and rich mids, strong bass, little to no listening fatigue, PRAT

Cons: COMFORT. Ouch.

My Review of the Beyerdaynamic dx 160ie In Ear Monitors

I will start with the summary / conclusion. This way you get all the important information right away. If you want to know how I came to my conclusion, you can just continue reading. If you don't want to you simply don't have to scroll through a ton of words ;)

Summary

Pros:

- Very nice mids! Organic and full bodied.

- Potent bass

- Little to no listening fatigue.

- PRAT.

So-so:

- Highs: some detail doesn't reach your ear, and sound lacks sparkle. They just don't shine.

- Soundstage: Rather intimate and close to the head. Good for some tracks and genres, but I have heard better. Good in width, not so much in depth.

- Air/Space: I often miss some airiness.

- Transparency: While the mids are fairly transparent and vocals are particularly clear and easy to follow, the rest can often sound dull and uninspired. I think this comes from the softened treble and the limited soundstage.

- Transparency

- The potent bass. Again. On some tracks it's just too powerful and bloated.

- The cable.

- Isolation: it's ok, but not more than that.

Cons:

- COMFORT! I have to use the smallest pair of all the tips to even get a decent seal. Once they are properly positioned I just don't find them comfortable. Especially on the left ear it's almost like a piercing kind of pain. Listening session don't last longer than 15-20 minutes due to that. My girlfriend found them absolutely unbearable.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My experiences with the dx 160ie that led to what you have just read:

The packaging and everything not related to the sound quality:

Very good for the price. The packaging and the accessoires suggest that this is a premium product. The pouch is well made, albeit a bit small. Quite a selection of ear tips! In my case only the smallest ones give me an acceptable seal, but at least I didn't have to buy additional tips.

The dx 160ie + the small sized stock tips are not comfortable, at all. I have experienced worse, but I am always aware of their presence. After a few minutes they begin to hurt. After some more minutes I already feel the urge to take them out and never put them in again, it is that bad.

Isolation is ok. When I listen with these IEMs while commuting (bus + train) they are able to block out a fair ammount of ambient noise, but when I mute the music a lot of it still goes through. On a scale where 1 means no isolation and 7 perfect isolation, I give them a 4.

Cable noise is no problem. I wear them over-ear. The cable itself feels slightly heavy compared to the weight of the IEMs themselves. Wearing them cable-down it feels to me as if the cable pulls on the IEMs.

Listening:

I listened to the these combinations:

ibasso dx50 (fw 1.2.8) -> dx 160ie

Galaxy Nexus / Blackberry Q5 -> dx160ie

These are my impressions with the dx 160ies on my favorite music suitable for evaluation. All of these tracks are 16bit/44.1khz .flac files.

Capricorn - George Duke (from Faces In Reflection) / features E-Bass, Drums, Synthesizer, piano and male voices.

- Mighty bass

- Lacks air

- Soundstage ok, rather intimate but believable

- Percussion is tight, I like it

- Mids are really nice, Synths are powerful and organic, voices are pronounced and clear

- I miss some detail and transparency

What's new - Elvira Nikolaissen & Matthias Eick (from I Concentrate On You) / features female jazz voice, piano, guitar, double bass, trumpet and some digital effects

- Bass is strong and a bit too thick

- Voice is very easy to understand and follow

- Piano lacks sparkle, but easy to listen to

- Soundstage is quite intimate

- Trumpet lacks air

- A bit dull as a whole

Thousand Knives - Ryuichi Sakamoto (from Playing The Piano) / features two pianos

- Lower registers are rich and full

- Highs lack sparkle

- Good pace and timing

- Sounds a bit dull

Dream Dancing - Tony Bennett and Bill Evans (from Together Again)/ features male jazz voice and piano

- Good soundstage

- Voice is nice and quite rich

- Lower registers on the piano are really good, "tasty"

- Good timing, the swing feel of the song comes through

Cherry Pie - Sade (from Diamond Life) /features female voice, E-Bass, drums, guitar, percussion, some additional effects

- Good soundstage width, depth is lacking

- Bass too strong, bloated

- Very nice voice

- Drums are tight and have some nice kick

Um Beijo - Kenny Barron & other artists (from Spirit Song)  / features piano, violin (or viola?), double bass, drums, saxophone, trumpet

- Nice violin, good tone

- Piano is ok, lacks sparkle

- I miss air, soundstage is not as big as it could be

- Trumpet is really nice

- Awesome saxophone, the tone!

- Best track so far, the most enjoyable with these IEMs.

Too Young To Die - Jamiroquai (from High Times) /features Strings, E-piano, guitar, E-Bass, male voice, drums and percussion

- Strings are placed in a wide room, nice

- Bass too strong, but the bassline is killer (Stuart Zender!)

- Voice is really good

- Good drive and energy

Strange Fruit - Marcus Miller (from Tales) / features synthesizer, bass clarinet and some ambient sounds

- Beautiful synth

- Very nice clarinet, great tone!

- Together with "Um Beijo" the best experience with these IEMs

+ many other songs that didn't reveal anything new about the dx160ie...

Mobile gaming:

I tried the dx 160ies with an awesome mobile game called "Osmos". The soundtrack is truly remarkable not only for a mobile game - it features a nice selection of tracks from a genre I'd call "ambient electronica", all of them have been recorded in very good quality. The dx160ie goes really well with this kind of music, delivering an immersive and full bodied sound.

Comments from my fiancée (not half as much into audio as I am):

About the comfort: Maaaaaaaan, that hurts.

About the sound: Not my cup of tea. They sound dull and I think there's too much bass.

Note that I didn't tell her my opinion before she gave them a try.

Sooo... these are my findings. It's now up to you to decide whether you want to give the dx 160ie a try or not. I don't like recommending gear, everyones a bit different and our opinions are not the same every day.

Would I buy them? Maybe, if they were considerably more comfortable, had a less bloated or prominent bass and a bit more air. End of story!

I tried my best and sincerely hope that you enjoyed reading this review.

Pros: Bass extension and impact

Cons: Recessed mids

I received the Beyerdynamic DX 160 and immediately began listening to get a good feel for this brand new IEM. Putting through a variety of genres and some sweeps these are the opinions I formed.

Build Quality: The DX 160 is a well made IEM, the aluminum housings and nozzles mean there is very little risk of these getting crushed or the nozzles breaking off, problems endemic to other IEMs, the flat cable terminates into a 3.5mm that is also the Y connector, which then plugs into another extension. Kind of weird but overall not a problem, somewhat convenient if you have a small DAP that can clip to a collar or sleeve. I really wish the LR indications were slightly more obvious, they are difficult to find at first. Overall build quality: A+

Accessories: The amount of tips provided was fairly sufficient, and expected at this price point, I preferred the triple flange and the comply, favoring the comply tips the most. The Y split to share music is a peculiar addition and it didn't particularly work that well, at least when I tried it with another pair of IEMs concurrently, I wouldn't recommend this unless it was the only option for sharing music, but as with most things few complain about additional options. Overall accessories: B+ (Would have liked an airline adapter)

Sound: Here we come to the meat of the review, the sound. I will preface this by giving a little background on my music tastes, I'm a hobby oboist and annual symphony goer, I also enjoy attending the many doctoral and faculty recitals that are readily available in my area, normally piano, violin and cello, with the occasional oboe. I have a preference towards neutral, natural sound. That said I do listen to lots of alternative rock and indie, and I will not be shy in saying the DX 160 is much more at home with the latter music selections than the former. This is a bass tilted headphone, at least to my ears, listening, On Melencholy Hill off the Gorillaz singles collection the bass is very prominent, with lots of slam and impact, I can see where Beyer focused their efforts on this IEM, and it isn't without results. I would say of the IEMs I have heard, which all hover around this price point, the DX 160s have the only bass I would say would satisfy a basshead or someone who predominantly listens to EDM or DnB. Feel Good Inc off the same album through the DX 160s delivers a visceral bass guitar, not something commonly achieved in IEMs. Moving on from the bass to the midrange, it seems slightly recessed, vocals seem veiled, they don't have the same presence they would through more neutral phones. On St. Veronica by Billy Talent, the bass guitar overshadows the vocals, I feel like I have to have the volume louder than I would like. Incidentally, running a sine wave sweep, the mids do not seem that far under the bass, maybe 3dbs, and their seems to be a slight 5db bump ~8khz or thereabouts, and then it starts to roll off a little bit after 12khz, a slight V shape. Treble is fairly sparkly, not fatiguing, and well detailed, I actually really like the treble on these, I just wish they had a little more extension, and they perhaps catch less of my attention when their is also heavy bass present in a track. Classical music listening was limited, and to their credit the Beyer's delivered as well as one can expect from a reasonably priced IEM, certainly you could do worse, however they would not be my go to in this respect. Overall sound: B- (A for bass lovers)

Final verdict: B+, the Beyerdynamic DX 160 IEM is a well built IEM with a fun sound that would please a variety of people's tastes, the clamshell case is probably the best case I have encountered at this pricepoint. They don't do anything glaringly wrong, however this is a very competitive space at the $1-120 range, and while it does punch at it's weight class, it isn't doing anything particularly impressive either, this is a very safe, classic IEM that is not out to achieve notoriety through gimmicks or anything provocative sound wise, it's an overall solid product and I would recommend it for those that want excellent bass in an IEM.

Test tracks used were all flac, played through a Sansa clip zip rockboxed, an ef2a amplifier, and a galaxy nexus phone. Once again thanks to Beyer for choosing me to review their product.

Pros: Great sound, the bass in particular.

Cons: Cable is not durable

DO NOT BUY.

The sound, in particular the bass is great. BUT, I've had the cable break at the jack on two pairs within a month of getting each (they were replaced under warranty). I have not abused them or dropped my phone hanging from the cable: it is just poorly designed. This is unacceptable for a $160 pair of phones, when the standard phone ones last longer. DO NOT BUY - unless you only want them for a month.

The cable does connect to another 3.5mm jack at the point the cable splits. This is good, as one can easily replace their hopeless quality cables, but is a bit heavy if you use them for running: the mass of the extra jack tends to pull them out of their ears, although they do come with a clip, but this results in the cables 'looping' near your ears.

Pros: BUild Quality, Accessories.

Cons: Price.

Almost a year ago, I reviewed the XP series (XP1, XP2 and XP3) from beyerdynamic, which is sold only in Asia. The company has since introduced a few higher end models, including the DX 160 iE that is going to be reviewed here. Priced at about US$120, is it going to sound double as good as the half-priced XP series?

DX160IE-01.jpg

Weight: 32g

DX160IE-02.jpg

DX160IE-03.jpg

Packaging, Accessories and Build Quality

Packaging is pretty good on the DX 160 iE. It isn’t particularly outstanding, but it isn’t bad in anyway either. It is overall quite befitting to what you can expect from a big brand. Accessories are quite abundant. There is 5 pairs of single flanged eartips, 2 pairs of double flanged eartips, one pair of Comply foam tips, a shirt clip, a Y-splitter adapter, a hard case, and the manual. The Y-splitter is especially interesting as it is designed to go well with the 2 pieces cable design. The cable themselves are flat, but still fairly slim. It is fairly tangle-free but not clumsy as a wider flat cable would have been.

DX160IE-04.jpg

DX160IE-05.jpg

The IEM’s design is kind of low-keyed, but not in a bad way. The only two places I wish to be better are (1) the strain relief on the 3.5mm plug could have been longer and (2) a cable guide on the Y-splitter would have made it easier to control the cable while wearing the earpieces over-the-ears. Last thing to note is that there is very mild driver flex on both sides, though it is really very mild and not much of a real concern. Beyond these, the IEM as a whole is quite well constructed

DX160IE-06.jpg

Sound Quality
The sound signature of DX 160 iE is bass dominance, warm, smooth, if not a bit dull. Bass is abundance in quantity with good enough definition not to sound muddy. The upper bass / lower mid region is however overly thick, pushing the vocal back and making it dull sounding, especially in low volume. While the vocal can be somewhat brought back to life on higher volume, EQ’ing down the 250Hz~500Hz region have even better result by making the vocal clearer and the space wider. Treble rolls off only at the very top and it is smooth for the most part. While it doesn’t really sparkle much, it should still be decent enough for non-analytical listener. Soundstage is below average, mainly due to the lack of air caused by the thickness in the upper bass / lower mid.

DX160IE-08.jpg
Comparison: DX 160 iE (left) and XP3 (right)

So how does the DX 160 iE compared to its Asia only siblings, the XP1, XP2 and XP3? Disregarding the difference in sound signature, the difference in SQ is actually very small. Out of the three, XP1 is perhaps the closest in sound signature when compared to DX 160 iE, but even so it offers noticeably less bass quantity and overall better balance. In comparison, DX 160 iE is more likely only going to be appealing to the true basshead.

DX160IE-07.jpg

Sum-up
Despite having better build quality, accessories and packaging over its XP series siblings, the problem with DX 160 iE is the high price tag. It puts the DX 160 iE in a handicap where the market is at its most competitive, both on the sheer number of models as well as some of the best value-for-money IEM you can buy. Unfortunately for now, DX 160 iE just doesn’t offer enough to upset the competition. It would have been in a much better position if it is priced closer to the much more budgeted oriented XP series.

A thanks to beyerdynamic for the sample.

Pros: Warm balanced sound, great bass extension, excellent selection of accessories/eartips

Cons: extension cable

I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with Beyerdynamic brand (designed and engineered in Germany) and their popular over-ear headphones, considered to be at the top of a lot of audiophile lists. But not a lot of you, including myself, are familiar with their in-ear product line. Though I had an opportunity to review not too long ago one of their flagship Custom One Pro headphones, I was very curious to find out how Beyerdynamic scaled down their legendary bass driven sound to a small in-ear footprint. Here is what I found.

Starting with a packaging box, you get a detailed walk through of the design and functionality, technical specification, and a list of included accessories. Even before you flip the magnetic cover to reveal DX 160ie under the plastic screen, you get a very good idea that you are dealing with a premium set of audiophile headphones. Out of the box, you are presented with a lightweight design of all aluminum housing with a detailed anodized finish and textured aluminum ring design and a metal mesh covering the nozzle. The pinhole port opening next to molded strain relief is always a dead giveaway to expect a great bass performance. Though L/R identification on strain relief is not easy to see, a noticeable bump on the R side guides you to id it even in a dark. For their DX 160ie model, Beyerdynamic chose a flat tangle free cable which gives it a more modern design look.

Further examination of the cable, revealed a first surprise. The original cable attached to headphones is very short, approximately 0.3m, and both of the flat cable sides come together in 3.5mm connector. I asked Beyerdynamic to clarify this choice since majority will use it with an attached extension for a standard length. Apparently, this design decision was driven by a number of requests from business travelers, specifically for airplane flights to cut down on cable clutter. To make everybody happy, Beyerdynamic came up with a solution of an original short cable and a regular length extension. You can always look at it as if 3.5mm angled connector of the extension ever gets damaged (I personally wasn't too crazy about strain relief sleeve in there and a small size of the connector which is hard to grab on to), you don't have to replace headphones and instead just need to replace a cable extension. I'm also hoping they will introduce another 3.5mm socketed extension with in-line remote for playback control of smartphone/tablet.

Moving on to the included accessories, Beyerdynamic made sure to please everybody!!! First of all, included is a very generous selection of 7 pairs of eartips, ranging in different sizes and double and triple flange design, as well as a bonus pair of Comply foam eartips. I already mentioned about extension cable which I'm going to use as permanent attachment, and there is also a shirt clip. Furthermore, a premium round hard case is included, as well as a clever adapter which enables attachment of 2 headphones to the same 3.5mm source. This is a definitely impressive collection of accessories including premium tips, but the main question - how do these sound?

I always take with a grain of salt vendor's claim about "premium sound quality" they put in a description of the product. But in this case you can be certain Beyerdynamic put all of their years of German engineering design experience to deliver the goods!!! Till this moment my only experience with audiophile quality in-ear balanced sound was using multi-driver BA IEMs. With those it makes sense how using a cross-over and a separate dedicated balance armature drivers you can tune the sound. With DX 160ie we are talking about a single dynamic Neodymium driver which has been tuned to a perfection of balanced response across entire frequency range AND a bass extension with an enhanced quantity. The sound signature is a little more brighter than MMX 102ie, but still on a warmer side due to control of the upper range. Starting with a bass, lows are extended down to the rumbling sub-bass level with a nice texture and a fast mid-bass punch. The bass is well controlled, not bloated, and doesn't spill into mids. It's hard to tell if mids are a bit recessed due to a bass quantity, but they definitely have a balanced presence in the mix with plenty of details and clarity. As a result of that, you get a natural sounding powerful vocal delivery, something I enjoyed from my other IEMs that cost 4x as much. Treble has a detailed sparkle and extension without a hint of sibilance. Overall sound is very transparent and smooth, a bit on a warmer side since the brightness is not too much in your face. The soundstage/imaging is above the average. Also, I found these headphones to be forgiving even using lower quality mp3s, and they paired up nicely with either laptop or smartphone or DAP. One thing I did notice, while testing it with X5 I had to raise the volume level by about 10 units in comparison to other IEMs. This wasn't an issue driving them directly from my phone or laptop, so I assume X5 is more sensitive to the impedance considering these are 47 ohm versus typical 16-20 ohm with other headphones.

Overall, I can tell you with certainty that I just found my new favorite pair of dynamic in-ear headphones!!! I still value my multi-driver BA IEMs, but every other single dynamic driver headphone I tested in the past had something desired for improvement (either too much of v-shape sound, or veiled sound, or too much bass, or not enough clarity/details, etc.). The sound signature of these headphones is just perfect and really hits the sweet spot for me, and made me forget about any gripe I had with a cable. On top of that, if you consider an introductory price of $119 (and already seen it lower on Amazon) which also includes a very generous selection of accessories - this is one amazing value for a single dynamic driver headphones.

Here are the pictures of un-boxing and up close details for your enjoyment.

Pros: Superb sound (especially base and highs)

Cons: Isolation without Comply is a bit lacking on the other hand, Comply make isolation a bit to hard

Bought these as was specifically looking for a short cable headphones with decent sound quality and since I have read great reviews about previous models I decided to go for it. Delivered directly from Beyerdynamic in less than a week for 100 EUR + 30 EUR shipping (a bit steep).

I like:

- the flat cable (the cable is not as flat is some Monsters, which are to flat for my taste),

- design,

- comfort (these are the most comfortable pair of headphones, despite their heavy weight - I own Shure SE110, M-Audio IE30s (same as UE SuperFi.5) and a few Sony headphones from diffrent price ranges; none are as comfortable as the Beyer's)

- sound (I prefer a bassy sound so the sound is very good to me while some may argue its on the heavy side with base. The highs are very detailed while the mids are good, but as all mid-range headphones, are a bit lacking in some areas, mainly because of the heavy base)

- supplied accessories (despite the 100 EUR price range, you get a lot of accessories (hard case, double flanges, triple flanges, ordinary tips and a pair of medium Comply T400 tips and an extension cable as the primary lenght is 40 cm)

I don't like:

- weight (Its nice to have an all-metal housing and the appearance is great as they are not 'flashy' like some other headphones but they are definitely a heavy pair of in-ears. You do not feel it when your have them on but once you take them off, especially if the are hanging down, you know you have them around your neck - maybe exaggerating a bit)

- cable length (I thought that 40 cm would be just the right length but as the are a symmetrical Y-split instead of the asymmetrical Sony type of split, they just fall a bit to short for my taste). My perfect cable length would be around 60 cm.

- Isolation (a matter of preference. I am used to Comply's on the M-Audio IE30s so its not a fair comparison, but you can definitely achieve isolation with Comply's if you want to)

Summary:

In my subjective opinion, these are the best in-ears for the 100 EUR price range and even up to 200 EUR. I wanted a short cable design so I had virtually no choice but these Beyers are just what I wanted. Also worth noting is that I have been a long time user of Comply's and I simply hate the fuss of putting the in and out if you have to do it often so I was hoping the Beyers would deliever without the use of Comply's and I am happy to say that they do. The double flanges are perfect for my ears and a slight lack of isolation is a good thing as Comply's really do block out everything and make the bass even more pronounce.

---

SOUND SIGNATURE (Comparison):

If I would have to describe the sound signature, I would say it is on the warm side, however some might even put it on the slightly dark side. Compared to Shure's SE110 and M-Audio IE30s, which are both on the bright side (the Sure's more so than M-Audio).

Pros: Well-balanced sound, Clear-sounding, good soundstage, tight bass

Cons: Average Isolation

Stumbled upon this pair of earphones when watching this year's CES videos. Decided to give it a try when I found out that Jaben Singapore had these earphones in stock. It was much better than my MMX 101ies, like, WAY better. The soundstage was noticeably better and the bass is brought slightly forward without losing its tightness as compared to the MMX 101ies. However, I could still hear some ambient noise when putting them on without playing music. The DX 160ie has a well balanced sound. I'll be writing a proper review once I burned in these bad boys :)

Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE

Premium in-ear headphones SOUND Efficient, powerful neodymium drivers deliver fantastic sound, making this headphone one of the best in its class: deep low-end, clear mids and transparent treble set the DX 160 iE apart from its competitors. PERFECT FIT AND ISOLATION Wearing comfort, isolation of ambient noise and a deep bass-response are crucial for any in-ear headphones. The DX 160 iE achieves all three of these with ease, coming supplied with one of the biggest choices of eartips available: 5 pairs of bowl-shaped types, 1 pair of double-flange types and 1 pair of triple-flange silicone types ensure that you can enjoy your music the way you like it. In addition, should you prefer foam types then the original Comply™ eartips (type T-400) provide a great fit, reducing ambient noise and enhancing bass – right down to the very low-end. FLAT CABLES - AS LONG AS YOU NEED THEM TO BE The DX 160 iE is supplied with a flat, tangle-free cable for easy handling and convenience. Should you need this to stretch a little further, an extension cable is also included with the headphones. MATERIALS AND DESIGN Full-metal-housings, attractive anodized surfaces, shiny aluminium rings and careful attention to detail make the DX 160 iE a headphone with quality you can see and touch. Sturdy design, rugged TPE-material and a 45° angled plug ensure your earphones will stand the test of time, no matter how you wear them. SHARE MUSIC WITH YOUR FRIENDS Simply unplug your extension cable and plug in our adapter to share your music with friends or colleagues, quickly and easily. COMPATIBILITY The DX 160 iE is compatible with all current portable devices equipped with a 3.5 mm jack output (including smartphones, tablet computers and laptops). Package includes: extension cable 7 sizes of silicone eartips (5 types bowl shape, 1 type double flange, 1 type triple flange) 1 size of original Comply™ eartips (type T-400) adapter plug to share your music with friends hard carry bag with zipper cable clip

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE