Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Beyerdynamic DT 250 - Headphones ( ear-cup )

Beyerdynamic DT 250 - Headphones ( ear-cup )

Rated #196 in Over-Ear

Pros: Flat, revealing, articulate, yet warm & forgiving. Comfy.

Cons: Chunky cable. Uninspiring looks. Gets toasty in there.

These DT-250 (80 ohm) are just flat-out the best sub-$500 headphones I've yet heard. I found the Shure SRH840s way too bright, and returned my DT770s for being too dark.

The soundstage is as wide as you could hope for with closed-back cans. Separation is really great, and I find them to be analytical enough to reveal all the detail I care to hear, without turning suboptimal recordings (or encodings) into garbage.

I thought they sounded pretty nice before connecting them to my Nuforce Icon UDAC-2. Really, they're not that much better than a $100 pair of Sonys until they're amped.

They don't throw down bass in the quantity of the head-subwoofers known as the DT-770, but they dig plenty deep and produce accurate bass, if not the most bone-rattling.

The major reason I took my DT-770s back was that the mids were just absent; pushed back into a corner. These are much more forward, so vocal-heavy recordings sound vastly better than on the 770s. They're also a lot smaller and make you look less like an astronaut.

Another thing about the 770s is that there was a bit of "echo chamber" inside the headphones that I found distracting, which is completely absent from the 250s.

The 250s are super comfy. Other than the fact that I have to let my ears breathe peariodically, I could and often do wear these all day.

I don't know why other headphones get so much more attention, honestly.

Pros: Potentially excellent sound(250Ohm), comfort, modular construction

Cons: Thick sound(80Ohm)

I own the 80Ohm model, do note that the 250Ohm model should sound very different.

Looks: You'll look like you're working for the sound crew of a broadcast company.

Construction: Solid materials used through out. Some weak points where the headphone and cups meet. Here's the kicker, though: All parts including the head band, driver and cable can be ordered as spare parts. Potentially this will be the only phone in your collection that you'll own for the rest of your life.

Comfort: Not THE most comfortable I ever wore but I can have them on for 4+ hours daily without discomfort. My head is about medium size and I wear glasses.

Sound: The 80Ohm model sounds rather thick, intelligibility is not great. On the plus side the sound is never harsh or grating and instrumental textures are reproduced in a realistic way. Might be favorable for electronica and industrial genres.

For kicks I applied the difference between the DT250-80 and DT250-250 frequency response, based on measurements by doctorhead.ru, to a 1/3 octave resolution. Basically this simulates the response of the DT250-250 on the DT250-80. Assuming the measurements were made under more or less indentical conditions the DT250-250 should be very impressive. The bass is deep enough and non-booming, low-to-mid-mids are neutral and finally upper mids and and up are unusually present yet smoothly extended, which is quite rare. If you wanna try this curve on your DT250-80 here's the EQ preset:http://www.box.com/s/76n1uzaaxh5nsmhs89of
Requires foobar2000 and foo_dsp_xgeq

Conclusion: My personal sentiment is that I should have gotten the DT250-250 instead of the DT250-80. The promise of "easily driven" phones is hit and miss anyway, for example if you happen to plug into a headphone-out with a high impedance frequency response will suffer more on an easily driven phone. Anyway, I think the DT250's have many favorable traits such as modular construction, good comfort and potentially very accurate, neutral sound. Not being very expensive it adds up to a great value.

Beyerdynamic DT 250 - Headphones ( ear-cup )

The DT 250 is a lightweight, closed dynamic headphone, which was specially designed for studio applications. It features an efficient neodymium magnet system and accurate frequency response. The wide transmission range between 10 - 30, 000 Hz is another important feature. The soft circumaural earcups offer a high wearing comfort and excellent ambient noise insulation. The padded headband is fully adjustable. The connecting cables to the earcups run safely in the headband.The connecting cable is single-sided, coiled, with gold plated stereo mini jack (3.5 mm) and 1/4" adapter (6.35 mm). All parts are easy to replace.

BindingElectronics
Product GroupCE
Product Type NameHEADPHONES
PublisherBeyerdynamic
StudioBeyerdynamic
TitleBeyerdynamic DT 250 - Headphones ( ear-cup )
Is Autographed0