Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › On-Ear › Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6

Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6

Pros: Clarity, Deep, Tight and Fast Audiofile Bass, Natural, Clear Mid, Crystal Clear Highs, Design, Isolation, audiophile quality sound

Cons: Lack of accessory, Bit of sound leaking, Some might fine it bit harsh on treble, not for bass head or bass emphasized lover.

I will describe it very simply since I am not English speaker...

H6 was demoed with ipod Touch 5thG Galaxy Note2 ifi audio ican + idac.

I owns some of flagship headphone like grado PS1000, Gs1000, Audeze LCD-2 Beyerdynamic T90 AKG K702 etc

so I think I know what I am talking about.

Out of all the B&o earphone and headphone series (except U70 cuz I never tried) H6 shows the best performance.

I personally don't like B&o Due to over priced products.(So I hate New H3 in-ear)

However H6 has changed my impression of B&o.

H6 has what we call audiofile bass. Its Deep Clean Tight and Fast. the Bass is not really Emphasized but it still does what the bass have to do.
by Sub-woofer test, I was able to hear down to 30hz which is pretty amazing result for this small type of headphone.
Separation of each bass instruments are amazing. I can hear every different instruments very well and clean.

Mids are natural, Clean and detail. vocal are very natal and detail. H6 capture all the details of vocal. Guitar is clean vivid and rich.
Snare drum is not as strong as those Grado or other Metal head cups but it is fast tight and sharp. There are very slight emphasize on mid but
it's just very little amount. Just like Bass, All instruments separated well and nothing got muddy or mushed

high are crystal clear and detail. Some might find it too bright because there are some emphases. Those little bit of accent on high gives clearness and details to the mid and all the high frequency instruments like symbols, Harmonics of Violin and etc. However, as I said its can be disadvantages for listing. It might get tired easily. It seems like it reaches up to 14khz to 15khz but I wish it could
reaches up to like 17khz or 18khz (since its $430!!) Oh well Not many people can hear that high especially in crowded area like train, bus or shopping malls

Staging is quite big even though enclosure of H6 is very small and compact. I would say it is biggest than LCD-2 (LCD-2 is not the greatest staging headphone) but it's not
as great and big as Beyerdynamic T90, Grado ps1000, gs1000 or AKG K701 which is well known for good staging. imaging is accurate. I can hear where are all instruments located. however somehow most of instruments are located at back of my head. It happens with GS1000 as well. so I am guess there are some Phase issue with it. Well as long as it is clear enough to tell, I don't mind.

If you looking for Good design with natural and clean like audiophile headphone with big, and accurate sound stage H6 can be the way.
It's too sad I am paying extra $30 just because I live in Canada..

Pros: Comfortable, neutral and natural, folds flat for portable, luxury build quality and design

Cons: Some may find it lacking in bass, lack of warm, and may sound boring to some as well

First Impressions

H6

Bang & Olufsen were established since 1925. I was looking at their stunning products. It was really creative, and a lot of technologies were put in each and every of their products to make sure things are near perfect and simple to use for everyone and at everywhere. All of their products define how great the effort was put into it by Bang & Olufsen's team making a product that everyone can use. I strongly believe that their universal control best describes it. It was designed 20 years ago for controlling everything you can find in Bang & Olufsen. It is not as complicated as you may think, it's simple. It's intelligent. It's convenient. Just like all other Bang & Olufsen's products. The Bang & Olufsen H6, lies another great story to tell.

The Bang & Olufsen H6 is what I would call, an audiophile, portable-reference, fashion-accessories headphone. It is the combination of good sound quality and good design together with luxury touches. They are, of course, as comfortable as all the luxury car brands that Bang & Olufsen are co-operated with; including Aston Martin, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz.

H6 2

Everywhere you go with the Bang & Olufsen H6, it will not disappoint you nor will it put you to shame because of its design. It isolates extremely well, even in a noisy environment, you can still put on the stylish Bang & Olufsen H6 and enjoy your music. Nothing will ever come between you and the music. Additionally, its stylish design would attract more people than you would think it will. No cheap plastic, cheap pleather. All these are replaced and dominated by high quality and excellent finished genuine leather and aluminum. It is simple. It is convenient as you can plug in the jack into either side of the earcups. The cable features in-line remote control and mic for Smartphone. There's no need of Bluetooth feature here because I believe Bang & Olufsen wish to avoid it as it will compress the music way too much that the headphone will not sound at its best.

After so much designer's effort are put in it, you may ask, how does it sound? The moment I put onto this headphone and play music from my iPhone, I was blown away. Unlike most stylish headphone, the Bang & Olufsen H6 sound very neutral, detailed and airy. Instruments are well separated in the music. The vocals sound very natural. There are no treble spike or upper mids bump. It is very clean sounding with no hint of harshness, muffled and/or piercing. By memory, in comparison to my beloved AKG K550 and PSB M4U1, the Bang & Olufsen H6 basically take all the good sound of those two headphones and make it better. It is like upgrading from BMW 5 series to BMW 7series, a whole new definition of joy. Great imaging, instrument separation, details, soundstage and natural sound can be found in the very well built and comfortable Bang & Olufsen H6. Most importantly, there is no need of amping which is a big add for portable use as it reduces weight.

At this point, you may think I am advertising for Bang & Olufsen.  No, this is my opinionated first impression of this headphone. There are certain point that I though, they can still improve further in, such as, the bass. I would prefer more sub-bass presence and upper bass warmth. It is not at all cold sounding, it is just my preference for more warmth, but if you ask me, it is a perfect spot in between warm and cold. While it is airy sounding, it is still a closed headphone, it is still not as airy as some other open headphone but it would be unfair to compare a closed headphone to open headphones. For price vs performance ratio, I find it on the decent side. For audiophiles, at US$400 it may be asking too much, but if you include it's comfort, features, design and build quality together with sound quality, it's worth it.

Overall, it features what you need and wanted without giving too much that make a headphone complicated. Luxury materials yet lightweight. All the best possible design and materials are put in it to give you the best possible listening experience, but if only the price is not a problem. If I will have to rate it out of 10, it would be somewhere at 8 judging by this first impression. Like what Soren Kokholm, general manager of Bang & Olufsen, Singapore told me during my visit "If something is designed perfectly, there is no need of changing it." I believe the Bang & Olufsen H6 have achieved that standard.

Big thanks to Soren Kokholm for the service!

Pros: Detailed highs, smooth mids, textured lows, wide soundstage, precise imaging, gorgeous design.

Cons: While it can be driven by an iPhone, the BeoPlay H6 requires a dedicated amp to do its best work.

Background

When I first got word that Bang & Olufsen would be releasing a new full-size headphone, I could barely contain my excitement. As a long-time B&O customer, I appreciate the unique blend of no-compromise performance, quality and design for which B&O is legendary. My B&O home system, a pair of bookshelf speakers with a sub, has given me countless hours of enjoyment. Let me tell you: My system has knocked the socks off more than one old-school audiophile who, before hearing it, thought B&O was just about good looks.

Yes, B&O's kit looks spectacular. But the company doesn't make vacuous supermodels with empty space between the ears. B&O has been around for almost 90 years and has serious engineering chops. The Danish equipment maker does make supermodels, to be sure. But these are supermodels who can build you a rocket, splice DNA and smash protons. Beauty and brawn. Eye candy and IQ.

Case in point: My B&O 4000 bookshelf speaker cabinets are entirely aluminum. Because the speakers are powered, each of the four transducers has its own dedicated, perfectly-matched amp. My sub is also aluminum and is powered by a custom 850-watt Class-D amplifier. How good is the amp? Good enough that Bowers & Wilkins uses amps made by B&O in their subwoofers. They are arguably the best Class-D amps in the world. Aluminum speaker cabinets are commonplace today because aluminum is an ideally strong, rigid and malleable cabinet material. It can be easily shaped to reduce unwanted vibrations and eliminate standing waves. And polished aluminum is beautiful. B&O began using aluminum way back in the 1980's, when self-described audiophiles derided the use of aluminum in speaker cabinet design. Wood was the stuff of which real speaker cabinets were made, they argued. Powered speakers are for neophytes, they argued. Now that some of the greatest speaker manufacturers in the world have jumped on the bandwagon (Linn, B&W et al), making powered speakers and aluminum cabinets, those critics are conspicuously silent.

So two years ago, in a bid to stay relevant in an age of iPhones and iPods, B&O introduced its BeoPlay product line. The latest products in the line are the BeoPlay H3 and H6 headphones, an in-ear monitor and a full-size can, respectively. I didn't care about the H3 IEM. The H6, with its sexy curves and leather upholstery put the twinkle in my eye. The wait between the announcement and the time the product shipped was painfully long, but finally the day arrived and I sauntered down to my local B&O boutique to have a listen. And boy, was I disappointed.

I plugged the H6 into my iPhone and spun up a playlist of lossless tracks compiled specifically to test the mettle of headphones. Mids? Check. High-end? Check. Soundstage? Imaging? Check. Check. But wait... Where's the bass? This can't be right. This thing sounds thinner than a stale Triscuit trapped under a steamroller. I skipped ahead to track after track after track, but the result was the same: woefully weak bass response. I couldn't believe it. This, from the company who made the Beolab 2 sub that has rattled my windows (as well as my neighbors' nerves) for the last ten years?

I promptly returned home, logged into Head-Fi, and declared that I would not be purchasing the BeoPlay H6. I went further to predict that the H6 headphone, priced at $400 US, would enjoy meager sales at best. My search for a daily driver would begin anew.

Then comments and reviews on the H6 began to trickle in. And they were mixed. Very mixed. Some reviewers experienced the same anemic low-end I heard. But others described an ample amount of detailed, textured bass that faithfully and pleasingly rendered any source material. How could this be? What could explain the discrepancies between the reports provided by these listeners? As I've come to find, the explanation is simple. The x-factor, in the case of the H6, is amplification.

The H6 simply does not show its true colors when amplified by a smartphone or tablet. Unlike say, the Sennheiser Momentum, which delivers a warm (if slightly boomy) sound, even when jacked directly into a smartphone, the H6 is a more finicky lover who refuses to open the kimono without proper motivation.

I would get the H6 after all, I decided, and I would motivate them properly...with a brand-spanking-new Schiit Asgard 2.

I bought the H6 a few days before I ordered the Asgard 2. I listened to it with my iPhone and iPad. I enjoyed the crystal-clear highs, the rich mids and the fantastic soundstage and image. And I longed for deeper, more fully-realized bass. Then the Asgard 2 arrived.

I'll skip the unboxing story and cut to the chase. Wow. Hello, bass! Clean bass. Textured bass. Nimble, sprightly bass. Accurate bass. This is the headphone I expected from B&O, the one I knew they could produce. I was pleased and all was right with the world.

Now for the review. I'll start with sound quality, then move on to niceties like build quality, design and packaging. Grades are relative to other headphones in the $300-$500 range, when amplified with a capable headphone amp.

Sound Quality

Highs: 9/10

I'd describe B&O's "house sound" as natural and neutral, with a brilliant, feathery-light high-end that resolves a lot of detail. This describes the H6's sound perfectly. It delivers a staggering amount of detail in its price-class. In fact, the H6 delivers an impressive amount of detail when compared to headphones well above its price-class! Cymbals, triangles, snares, and hi-hats all sound crisp and light, with nary a hint of sibilance or stridence. I'm guessing this deftly executed high-end lends much to the headphone's spectacular imaging, which I'll describe later.

Mids: 9.5/10

Mids on the BeoPlay H6 are pleasingly neutral. I'm an absolute nut for female vocals, and the H6 articulates vocals exquisitely, as well as any headphone I've heard under $1000 US. Strings, winds, acoustic guitars and brass all render with substantial fidelity and ease. In fact, the mids painted by the H6 are so neutral and musical that there really isn't much to write about them. This is simply the way music should sound.

Lows: 8/10

The low-end of the BeoPlay H6 has been a subject of much discussion. As I indicated above, the H6's bass doesn't come alive until proper amplification is supplied. Kind of makes me sad to know most owners of the H6 will never know just how good these cans can sound. Paired with the Asgard 2, the H6 delivers plenty of smooth, clean, textured bass. Never punchy or flabby— just accurate and lively. The H6 is definitely not a headphone for bass-heads, but aficionados of jazz, classical and folk will appreciate the H6's tender touch. It's a mature sound for a mature listening audience.

Sound Stage: 8.5/10

The H6 renders an unusually wide soundstage for a closed-back can, but there is a little added surprise. I find that while the soundstage is not particularly deep on the Z-axis (like the HD800), it creates an impressively tall Y-axis. I don't know how, but I get the illusion of substantial vertical height on certain tracks, one that has caused me to re-think my impressions of tracks I've listened to hundreds of times.

Imaging: 9/10

Most reviews of the H6 praise the headphone's pinpoint-accurate imaging, and I concur. The H6 images incredibly well for a closed-back headphone in the $400 price range. In fact, I've read one reviewer who opines that the imaging capabilities of the H6 are comparable to those of the Audeze LCD-2! I'm really enjoying the process of listening to my favorite albums again, this time with a much clear impression of where everything sits.

Listening Impressions

I've selected five tracks for review that I suspect most people reading this already own. I could have selected obscure tracks to suggest the depth of my catalog and my fantastic taste in music, but that wouldn't help anybody. So here we go:

"Bolero" (Pink Martini, Sympathique)

The opening bass bars are cleanly rendered and textural. The percussion that follows is spacious and precisely imaged. I can point to the location of each drum tap. The cello's timbre is true-to-life. The H6 places the track in a very well-defined space, making it feel like a live performance.

"True To Life" (Roxy Music, Avalon)

This track, like the others on the album, is full of minute sonic flourishes. The kick drum has a satisfying thump. The synthesizer floats in space and is pierced occasionally by the lead electric guitar. Toms pitter pat on the outer edges of the soundstage. The H6 captures the gray, Autumnal mood of the piece perfectly.

"Stand Behind Me" (Christy Baron, Retrospective)

A warm, lazy electric guitar chirps on the left while a clarinet whispers on the right. A snare and hi-hat gently shuffle in the background. The timbre of the clarinet is startlingly real. Lots of air around each instrument. Baron's vocals are centered, smooth and full of emotion. You hear breaths inhaled. You hear lips part. It's like a sonic deep-tissue massage.

"Tears In Heaven" (Eric Clapton, Unplugged)

The opening guitar plucks have a substantial attack. The triangle has a tactile, needle-prick resonance. The image is remarkably precise. You can distinctly hear the voices of each backup singer. The percussion has a pleasing pop.

"Kiss" (Prince, Parade / Under The Cherry Moon)

This pulsating whoosh sound has visceral heft. The electronic snare snap is like the cracking of a block of ice. The chimes are surprisingly three dimensional. One gains a new appreciation for the subtleties of Prince's falsetto. It's now clear to me that this track—a track I always believed to be poorly mastered—was actually superbly engineered. Who knew?

Build Quality, Design and Packaging

Build Quality and Comfort: 8.5/10

Aluminum and leather, just like a sports car. The H6 is one beautifully built piece of kit. Like all B&O products, the build quality on the H6 is top-notch. The clamping pressure is just a smidgen north of perfect to me, but your results may vary. Still, because it weighs only 230g I can wear the H6 for hours with no discomfort. The lambskin and foam used for the earpads is incredibly soft and there is no visible stitching on the earpad leather, a testament to B&O's attention to detail. There are no visible screws or unpolished seams to be found anywhere on the product. The level of fit and finish is fantastic, but this is typical for Bang & Olufsen. I find that the back-sides of B&O's products often look better than the front-sides of products from other manufacturers. One gripe: I wish B&O had included an additional cable without the iPod controls.

Design (Aesthetics): 10/10

What can I write? If you've seen it, you know that the H6 is drop-dead gorgeous. A timeless, carefully considered design. There isn't much else to say here, as B&O has always delivered best-in-class design. They are the Apple, the Audi, the Bell & Ross of stereo gear. They were doing bleeding-edge industrial design eons before anyone else in the audio world, and it shows.

Packaging: 7/10 (not included in final score)

A neat little box with a pleasant, gratifying unboxing experience. The headphone is presented front-and-center on a fitted block of foam. Below the foam rests the cable, the cloth transport bag, the airline adapter and the papers. Nothing to write home about, but a very competent packaging job.

Overall Score: 8.9/10

This is a $400 headphone, and as such I consider it a bargain in its class. Fantastically detailed sound, world-class design and easy wearability for a very reasonable price. Now, the BeoPlay H6 is not an Audeze LCD-3 killer. It won't tango with the likes of an HD800 or SR-009, but it delivers a remarkably pleasing listening experience that is very portable. And it can be driven by a iPhone, though it requires a dedicated amp to do its best work.

Bottom line? I love my BeoPlay H6 and can confidently recommend it highly.

Pros: Very "flat" sound, perfekt for classic, and all music. Build quality and comfort in absolute perfection!

Cons: Strong annoying Cable-Sounds, and the original cable with is too short for HiFi-Use.

This Headphone is a masterpiece.

Design and/or Quality could´t been better!

But all cables transmitting annoying sounds to the side they are connected in. Not perfect!

Special not for a mobile headphone, when you move your head all the time.

The good mobile-thing is that the are lightweight.

The sound is very flat to my ears, and nice for hours and hours of listening!

They sound B&O style "soft" but not "washed".

The bass is precise, but not freaky fat. Well balanced sound, medium good "sound-stage".

After hours you still don´t feel them on your ears or head.

(I don´t know how they are in summer!)

The remote in the cable works only perfect with apple devices.

Some functions with android too. (build in mic)

This Low-Impedance Headphones work with most portables.

But they need strong amplifying to give an great sound!

My Denon DCD 700AE CD Player have a good output, and they sound much better.

An extra headphone amp is recommended!

For 400 bucks you will get a very stylish, realistic sounding, comfortable headphone!

But for this price B&O could give us a longer extra cable für Home-HiFi. Why not!?

The include soft-bag is ok, but a small case would be better...

Design: 100% Comfort: 95% Sound 93% Quality: 95% Mobility 75% Price 70%

What matters ist Comfort and Sound! Go B&O and try one!

Kind regards

Ingo

Pros: Build quality, comfort. 'Fun' sound

Cons: Everything else

I will keep this ultra short. I spent 3 weeks with these and by the end I had had enough.

At first they 'wow' the user with a lovely full bodied and detailed sound but after a few hours (these had already been listened to for well in excess of 20 hours by a friend) the cracks start to appear.

That lovely bass extension that was so impressive at first begins to tire, that detail in the highs begins to draw attention to the lack of mids. That price tag begins to look ridiculous given how little you have to spend these days for a good set of cans.

All in all I cannot recommend these at their price point. Sure they look and feel great but if you are even remotely serious about your music look elsewhere.

Pros: Flat, Neutral, Comfort, Great Looks, Lightweight, Build Quality

Cons: Sensitivity

Hi,

I made a video review of Bang & Olufsen H6. Most of the important things are covered in the video so I'll keep it brief here.

YOUTUBE LINK

BUILD & COMFORT

The overall build quality is great. It's sturdy but lightweight. The top part of the headband is made out of leather. The leather is not very smooth but it's very nice. The ear cup is also covered in soft leather. It is very comfortable, because it's light and doesn't squeeze your head too tightly. I can literally wear it for hours until I fall asleep.

SOUND QUALITY

The sound is surprisingly flat, but a little bit on the warm side. The sound is not as airy as the open back cans, but the soundstage is very good for a portable closed back. The amount of bass is comparable to Beyerdynamic T5p. The H6 has a little bit less bass than the T5p. If you think the T5p is bass light, you will not like the H6. The T5p is also little brighter and more open than the H6. The midrange and high is very sweet and not tiring at all. I listened to the whole album of Comeblack by Scorpions and my ears don't feel tired at all. The separation between instruments is great even for a heavy metal album. I also tested it with Rachmaninoff's Paganini Rhapsody (played by Lisitsa). The detail is good but the soundstage is not that big. In my opinion, jazz is the kind of music where the H6 performs best. Try Nat King Cole's "L-O-V-E" or Zee Avi's "Siboh Kitak Nangis" and you'll know what I'm talking about. What I don't like about the H6 is the sensitivity. For a portable headphones, I expect the sensitivity to be a little higher. I couldn't find the actual figure on B&O, but I guess it's pretty low. This thing is not much louder than MrSpeakers' Mad Dog plugged in directly to my iPhone, and remember that's an orthodynamic headphones designed to be hooked up to an amp. The H6 sounds even better with an amp, but I'm not a big fan of carrying a portable amp around. The thing is, the H6 sounds pretty good without an amp, just not as loud as I expect it to be.

ONE SENTENCE COMPARISONS (Similarly Priced Portable Headphones)

Bowers & Wilkins P5

- The leather is nicer than the H6, but that's it!

Beats Studio (2nd Gen)

- I turned on the Bass Reducer on my iPhone, it still got too much bass!

MrSpeakers' Mad Dog

- Sounds better than the H6, but it couldn't even fit my messenger bag!

Bose QC 15

- Inside an airplane is the only place it has the advantage over the H6!

Sennheiser Momentum

- If you have a large head like me, this thing is just not for you.

CONCLUSION

The H6 is not the best sounding headphones for $400, but it got the looks, portability, comfort, and build quality without compromising the sound quality. You can also crank up your iPhone to the max without going deaf instantly. For me it's definitely one of the best all round portable headphones out there.

Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H6

Lust for life - love of musicBeoPlay H6 is crafted in luxurious materials, and makes a bold statement in terms of design. With a choice of black or natural leather it is a perfect match if you refuse to compromise quality in sound, design or craftsmanship.DESIGNBeoPlay H6 is designed by Jakob Wagner and is an around-ear type of headphone, where comfort and great acoustic performance have been central elements in the design. When placing headphones on the ear, it is important that you feel pressure in places where it does not bother you and where you feel the device rest securely and does not fall off. This took a lot of experimenting to find the right spot, as it seems we have very different perception of what feels right.SOUNDBeoPlay H6 offers a truly natural and authentic sound performance with focus on a clear mid-range with a balanced bass and treble performance. Includes a 40 mm custom designed driver with a neodymium magnet in a closed headphone design. BeoPlay H6 has a bass port which optimizes the bass performance and the drivers are slightly angled to get the best distance and sound direction into the ears. BeoPlay H6 also allows you to share your music with friends by simply by linking up multiple headphones to one digital device (iPad, iPhone, etc).USECarefully selected high quality materials like leather and aluminum make BeoPlay H6 comfortable to wear and will bring you a sense of everyday luxury. Also, every day wear and tear merely adds patina, and makes BeoPlay H6 age beautifully. The softness of the lambskin on the ear pads is the first thing you'll notice, when you put on BeoPlay H6. When you wear the headphone, the memory foam inside the ear pads adapts ensuring great comfort. The head band needs to be durable and age with grace. Therefore, we have chosen cowhide leather, that gains patina and personality when worn.

BindingElectronics
BrandB&O PLAY
ColorBlack
EAN5705260041309
FeatureCrafted in luxurious materials and Designed by Jakob Wagner Offers a truly natural and authentic sound performance with focus on a clear midrange with a balanced bass and treble performance Carefully selected high quality materials like leather and aluminum BeoPlay H6 is extremely comfortable to wear and will bring you a sense of everyday luxury 3 YEAR WARRANTY - Register your product with us at beoplay.com/Register
LabelB&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen