Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2

AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2

Rated #80 in Over-Ear

Pros: Solidly Built, Removable Cables, Massive but Controlled Bass

Cons: Very Uncomfortable With Stock Pads, Might be Too Bassy for Some,

Introduction

I’m a basshead. I say that loudly and proudly, even though some folks believe basshead and audiophile are mutually exclusive. Obviously, I’m not in that camp. But sometimes, I break away from audiophile listening and just want to crank up the bass and listen to some phat beats (don’t worry, I felt just as bad typing that as you did reading it). So recently, when I was in search of the biggest, most powerful bass I could get for the buck, I ended up getting the Audio-Technica Pro700MK2 after reading several impressions that mentioned “seismic” bass quantity with quality to match.

So, does the Audio-Technica Pro700MK2 live up to the hype? Read on to find out.

Pro700MK2 6

Accessories: The Pro700MK2 ships with two cables, one 4ft long and straight, with a recessed plug (for iPhones) and an 8ft long coiled cable with a threaded for use with the screw on ¼” adapter. Both cables are threaded at the point where they connect to the headphones themselves. Finally, Audio-Technica also includes a drawstring leather pouch for transport.

Design and Build Quality: The Pro700MK2 headphones are made for DJ use and as such, they feel quite durable and able to withstand a good deal of punishment and transport from gig to gig. The removable cables are threaded, which keeps them from being pulled out unexpectedly.

Comfort: Here’s where things sort of fall apart for the Pro700MK2. Now comfort is an entirely subjective thing and not everyone is going to have the same experience I did but I couldn’t stand to wear these for long without modification to the pads. The problem is the pads are too thin and there’s a small bump at the center of the metal driver covers (which you can see in the pictures) which presses into my ears. If the pads were thicker or if the bump wasn’t there, this wouldn’t be an issue, but it is.

But I do understand that these aren’t built for consumer use and are thus not really made for long term comfort. As a consumer, I was forced to perform a completely reversible mod in which I cut a spare Cat-5 Ethernet cable to size, taped the ends together with some electrical tape and stuffed them underneath the rim of the pads. The result is more space between my ears and the drivers which makes them much more comfortable and gives me increased isolation and arguably a slightly more open sound, but that may just be a placebo effect.

Isolation: These isolate fairly well and sound leakage is minimal.

Pro700MK2 4

Sound Quality

Burn in: These were burned in for upwards of 50 hours prior to review.

The Pro700MK2 has gained something of a reputation for being very powerful about the bass regions. One review even compared them to strapping two subwoofers to your head. Well I can safely say that these don’t have the kind of massive bass I was expecting but that’s only because the claim was exaggerated. They do have gobs of bass, with a very nice emphasis on sub bass and lacking a mid-bass hump. The amount of bass is superior to just about every headphone I’ve tried, including the bass heavy Klipsch Image One and has pretty good texture and detail in spite of the relatively soft impact.

The midrange is slightly recessed and slightly warm but remains well detailed and sounds a little less recessed than its elder sibling, the M50. Vocals are smooth and there’s no sign of sibilance. Instrument separation is solid and the midrange rarely sounds congested but there is some grain evident within it that makes them sound a bit dry and, perhaps, “scratchy” at times but the mids are mostly smooth on the whole and what little grain I did notice was minimal.  Treble presentation is less forward than that of the M50 and strays from the typical Audio-Technica house sound that I’ve grown accustomed to, namely forward and energetic. Instead, the treble presentation is a bit dry and less forward than I was expecting but the upside of this is that they’re not very fatiguing over long periods.

The soundstage is wide and deep enough for a closed-back headphone, sounding a bit more spacious than the M50 but still has a relatively “closed in” sound that I don’t think any fully closed headphone can ever get away from. Imaging is decent, neither really poor nor great, but should be adequate for DJ monitoring. The presentation is somewhat dark, almost to the point that it sounds rather opaque but I actually don’t mind it. I’ve said time and time again that I enjoy darker, warmer sound signatures and because of that, I’m more willing to excuse the dark nature of the sound signature. But nonetheless, I can’t imagine these will appeal to people who don’t like this kind of sound, unless they’re in it for the big bass, like I was.

Pro700MK2 3

Conclusion

The Audio-Technica Pro700MK2 is available from a number of other online retailers for prices as low as $140. At that price, I think they’re a good deal for a fine pair of DJ headphones but consumers might want to look at the usually cheaper and (at least in my opinion) slightly better balanced M50. The M50 doesn’t have the bombastic bass and its mids are slightly more recessed but the better appointed treble balances things out.

Nonetheless, I have to remember that this is a dedicated, purpose-built monitor for DJ use, not a consumer class headphone. In that role, I imagine these perform quite admirably, with their rigid and easily transportable design and well detailed sound that rivals, if not surpasses the M50 in terms of pure detail. For consumers, especially those who like to listen to music for hours at a time like me, a pad replacement (the M50 pads are pretty good on them) or modification like mine is likely in order. The removable cable is a boon for transport and versatility and the bass is just wonderful for hip-hop so I see the consumer appeal but the comfort issues might leave something to be desired. That said, these are a great sounding pair of headphones for the price and performed well with just about everything I tested them with.

This review was re-posted from my site Musical Musings

Pros: Very good isolation, clear mids and highs, powerful punchy bass

Cons: Driver shell is awkwardly placed hitting your ears (you may want to tuck some extra padding)

I've seen alot of PRO700MK2 reviews labelling them as "Bassy" headphones and "uncomfortable", please stop. These aren't meant to be for your "casual" listening, Audio-Technica designed these headphones with "utility" in mind. A exclusively for DJs and I will elaborate why.

Unboxing

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

I have heard complaints about the Pro700Mk2s' clamping issues. Audio-Technica has advertised these headphones as DJ "Monitor" headphones they are supposed to be worn with one ear. If you need a comfy headphone for your two ears, you should look into AT's "Earsuit" series or the WS55/WS70s.

Value: For a DJ headphone retailing at $159-$209 with a build quality of a tank, solid isolation, and detailed mids and highs, and well-extended punchy bass, these headphones are well-recommended in the DJ world.

Audio Quality: DJs in noisy environments will enjoy this, the bass is really punchy and extended you will not miss your bit counts. BPMs are very important to DJs and this headphone offers you them in thundering style. Mids and highs are well detailed good for doing those cuts and drops on the fly. The sound signature is accentuated bass, then flat mids and highs.

If you do not understand the demands of being a DJ, you really need a very good isolating, secure clamping headphone which is why AT designed this headphone to really give your head a bear-hug. For audiophiles, I will recommend XB500s instead of the Pro700mk2s, if size is not an issue.

Design: Audio-Technica designs this as a "utility over aesthetics" headphone. There's really nothing eye-popping with these headphones, but their sheer size. They are technically smaller than the M50s, but they look bigger. They are built solid with high quality military-grade plastics. You are also given two (2) 1.2m cables. 1 straight cable and 1 coiled cable which extends for about 9 or 10 feet.

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

Comfort: Wearing them with 1 ear, they are comfortable than most DJ headphones, I have used. The ear pads feels circumaural with the large opening. With 2 ears, they will clamp hard, but they are not designed to be worn like your usual headphone. If you aren't a DJ, keep out. But, if you are a hard-core audiophile who doesn't care about comfort issues, then go for it.

Update: How to make it comfy, add 5mm of memory foam pads. Resting them on 22cm boxes does lessen those clamping force. Audio-Technica has noted that the base of the headband are indeed aluminum and can be bent.

DSC_0008.JPG

Overall: Very solid DJ headphones, one of the best. I would definitely recommend them for the isolation and the solid bass. It will really help DJs not to miss any beat. Are these audiophile headphones? Definitely not. If you want an audiophile headphone, there's a lot of options Audio-Technica is offering. Would I recommend these for casual listeners? Never, if you want a bassy headphones for casual listeners go for the Sony XB500, you will have comfort and very tight-bass extensions.

Again, these are DJ headphones designed for DJ monitoring on live-performances! If you need a headphone for mixing or recording get the M50s.

If I am to review these as your audiophile/casual listening headphones, these would fail for one big reason. Comfort wearing these on two ears will destroy your listening pleasure. As your are more concentrated on the head-clamp rather than the music.

Update: Audio-Technica confirmed that just like the M50, the Pro700Mk2's frame is made out of aluminum so I wrestled with them and bent them into the shape of my head. They are now very comfy just like the M50s; however, they don't fold-up tightly anymore. It is fine with me as long as it will fold-up and fit its bag.

Here's some pictures:

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPGDSC_0007.jpg

The original clamp had the two pads touching each other, after I bent them it looked like this, but I'm quite satisfied with the comfort. Something just have to go and comfort is better than foldability.

DSC_0004.JPGDSC_0004.JPG

Update: With TBSEs' pads the PRO700MK2s isolation improved, since the pads were softer it conformed more with your face, blocking out spaces. Also, comfort improved a bit with the softer pads. But at what expense? The mid-bass got muddy and it messed up the mids as well.

DSC_0005.jpg

Pros: Bass, build quality, cables, looks

Cons: Comfort, mids, highs, short straight cable

Sometimes I just need that bass, it's like an addiction but only comes every now and then. I brought these just for when I really need that bass but can't be annoying the living hell out of my neighbors with my speakers.

I brought these headphones with the impression of amazing, overpowering bass and well I was quite disappointed. The bass extends really deep and well with no distortion, somewhat boomy but not enough impact. I was expecting the type of bass I get from my speakers which is controlled and very powerful and vibrates up my legs, while I certainly don't want my headphones rumbling on my head, there just is not enough power behind the bass. As far as headphones go, tons of good bass, can't really be comparing headphones with 2in drivers to speakers with 8in drivers getting WATTS not milliwatts of power.

Comfort, where did you go??? Not comfortable at all, especially compared to my AKG's. The cups are too small and end up being on my ear. I replaced the pads with the M50 pads and while they are a little bigger, still too small for my huge ears.

Included cables are nice but the straight cable is just 1ft too short for my needs. Great cables though, really good quality and they screw into the headphones for portable use.

Note: I DO NOT use EQ's ever.

Amp/DAC: Schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost

Pros: Great bass, build quality, decent highs and fairly decent mids

Cons: Newer model 68ohm (needs a bit more power), short cable, uncomfortable after a while, very uncomfortable pads..

I have had these now for a few months. I heard they had a very bass orientated sound but not so much that it ruins everything else. When i first purchased these i was a bit confused as to why they were 68ohm instead of the original 38ohm, but after exchanging emails with Audio Technica UK i found that the newer models of this particular headphone were now 68ohm. I was a bit disappointed at first as i was hoping to use these with my Samsung Galaxy S4 for casual listening when i wasn't using them for some mixing. I then went out and made a purchase on the Fiio E18 amp and the difference was quite noticeable. The bass was there but it wasn't overpowering everything else, the mids and the highs both sounded great and i was happy with the outcome. Previously, i had plugged these in to the powerful sound card that is the Asus Xonar Essence STX and was blown away by how good these actually were. They are extremely powerful and can handle whatever you throw at them. If you're a basshead who craves some bass these might be for you. But then again, i think the 38ohm version were slightly more bassy because these aren't bass powerful without some EQ. That didn't bother me though, the sound all in all is great and that low end packs a punch without messing with anything else. The build quality on these seems strong, loads better than my Sony MDR-V700 which snapped at the hinges (common problem with them)

The comfort, this is where these headphones fail, and fail miserably. I have noticed after a while they hurt the top of your head and you have to take them off for a few minutes. I have also noticed the ear pads are shallow and this can be annoying and uncomfortable. The cable is short and can be annoying if like me you listen to music from your computer. You can't really move anywhere else with these.

Just remember that some websites haven't updated the specifications on these headphones and when they state they're 38ohm they're probably actually 68ohm.

If you're looking for a powerful headphone that shines a bit better with an amp then get these, the bass is great but is well controlled.

Thanks for reading.

Pros: Excellent sound quality, excellent isolation

Cons: Head-crusher/squeezer (comfort)

I was looking for loud, very good isolating headphones having wide frequences response to use at my work. I currently use DT770/80 + Matrix M-Stage + replaced OPAMs. It gives me a very good quality, but isolation and loudness is not as I expected. At home I have Sens HD380 + Recon 3d for gaming. For music I use Fiioe17 + AKG550.

So I decided to buy ATH-PRO700MK2 to check out if I can use it with Matrix at work. You know.... loud metal music with no complains from my fellows at work...

My 1st impresssion was: is it broken ? After using of HD380s, I though these cans can simply squeeze my head. But with ath-700mk2's... boy, I was able to listen no more then 25 minutes of music, ufff... :

- earpads cover 80% of my ears - I have to use my hands to put my ear to be covered by earpad....

- the headphones simply squeezes my head... the spring is so tight

- I was not able to use it for longer then 20-30 minutes...

BUT... THE SOUND IS REALLY GOOD. Excellent dynamics, low/middles/highs perfectly suit to rock/metal music. Loudness is excellent.

Now I have schizophrenic recommendation: sound is perfect, comfort is much lower then having 2 weeks trip in 1st World War submarine... I will leave the headphones in the most spread position for 1-2 nigths... I will see.

PS: I am quite a guy (185cm/96kg), having a feeling of squeezed and hurt head somehow contradics the picture of those very attractive girls wearing ath's700mk2 and having a ear-to-ear smile.

Pros: Highs and Lows are crisp, Deep bass, true sound, clarity

Cons: ear cups

These pair of headphones are for serious use. As the name says- these actually are for professional purpose. These are way above the basic or even medium music phones. Sound quality is just awesome. Just that if you could buy some nice pair of ear cups, you are good to go. !!

Pros: sound quality like never before :)

Cons: uncomfortable at first have to do some mods and and adjust pads

So i bought the ath pro 700 mk2 only because my friend had a set and i tried them, they are my first really good quality headphones i have ever owned, and so far loving them :). The headphones have very good bass but need to be amp to get the full experience a good amp will run for about ninety nine dollars us currency, i will soon be buying a class a b i believe for that price and will use them on my pros. As far as comfort goes i did have to adjust the headphones allot the first two weeks to get them just right for my head and comfort i desired. The headphones them self are very sturdy and need extra padding for the ears so i cut out a old torn up mic cover out of memory foam like material and put it in the ear pads to increase comfort and i believe it increased the bass. on another note the band is adjustable it is made of aluminum and can be bent to fit you head that's what i had to do and the headphones are really comfy and fit my head now. I have ordered replacement pads that are like velor material and will do a mod and will do a update when i get them. Other wise these headphones are a steal and you should buy them while the price is down and before i forget they are modular so you can take the cable on and off and they collapse to be carried in a small case.

Pros: Powerful Bass, Form Factor

Cons: Comfort

Hi all, this is my first review on Head-Fi.  I would be talking more on the physical properties of the headphone than the sonic quality.

I have been looking for a portable circumaural headphone to replace my AKG Q460.  I found the AKG Q460 lacking in isolation, and for it to sound OK to my ears I need to use my iPhone's Bass Reduction.  On the go, I drive my headphone solely using my iPhone.

After a long search, I finally decided on this pair.

What I Like:

1. It is compact and doesn't look too bulky on the head
  2. It folds, and I can keep it in my messenger bag
  3. It lays flat so you can wear it around your neck and it won't bump your chin
  4. Earcups rotate in many different ways
  5. It comes with 2 detachable cable: coiled (1.2m extendable up to 3m) and straight (1.2m). The headphone side of the cable is 3.5mm and screws-in securely to the earcup.
  6. Possibility of making the headphone iPhone compatible!
    I figure I can use a V-MODA cable with iPhone 3-button remote and mic either by plugging it straight or getting a 3.5mm-threaded-male to 3.5mm-female connector.
  7. Sensitive enough to be driven direct from iPhone
    When demoing HD25-1 II, I had to turn up the volume to max, but with this headphone, 50% volume is good enough.

What I Don't Really Like:

1. Earpads are a bit on the thin side and could be larger, more to M50 size
  2. Headband hurts the crown of my head (but could be due to my SRH440 which is infamous for the pain inducing headband)
  3. Headband adjustment is made of plastic where on M50 it's made of metal

Sound Quality

This headphone never made my shortlist before as it's been called by many a bass-head phone and my experiences with bass-head phone had been pretty bad. Out of curiousity and desperation I decided to give it a try and was I surprised.

The bass is the most powerful among other cans I tried, and it's tight. Comparing it to XB700, the XB700 sounded very loose.  Some people said this has earth-shattering bass, but I don't find it to be the case.

The mids and highs are a bit recessed, but I can still get enough detail.  I found other bass-heavy phones to be muffled, but not the case with the Pro700 Mk2.

Pros: Great sound, amazing bass, good detail

Cons: kind of tight at first

I recently got these headphones from buy.com for $170 after deciding the m30's werent enough. i decided to go with the Pro700mk2's instead of the m50's because i knew i'd always wonder what the bass felt like on the pros.... and these headphones are amazing! i listen to a variety of music, but most of the time i listen to death metal and underground hip hop, and these headphones are great for both! for death metal, these headphones really highlight the drums, and the blast beats/ double bass sound great! especially for technical bands. the guitars sound amazing and arent recessed like some other headphones. For rap, the bass is awesome, everything sounds awesome for rap.. unless you listen to lil wayne, because he's gay and sucks.. on to comfort... im still breaking these in and the fit is a little tight but its still pretty comfortable for me. the cups are kind of shallow and for some people they fit on the ear (they must have huge ears). my ears are fairly small so they fit around my ears and are pretty comfortable for me for a few hours then it starts freaking me out man! im certain they'll loosen up a little... man im doing bad on this review haha. anyways, i highly recommend these. i use these on an HP Dv6 with beats audio (it actually sounds really good!). get these and dont look back!!!.... although i do wonder what those m50's sound like...

Pros: Deep, impactful bass

Cons: Comfort, high end extension out of the box

I have been reading about the ATH-PRO700MK2 for awhile and have been curious to try them.  When I found one refurbished for $104, I decided to go for it.  I have been looking for a headphone with spectacular bass that will also serve as a great all-arounder.  While the PRO700MK2 isn't the all-arounder I hoped for, it is great at what it does which is produce powerful, deep, tight and punchy bass without bleeding into the mids.  It is a keeper that I will use with selective genres.

Most of the shortcomings you have read about these is true, but to me, not as bad as described.  The pads are thin, but adequate.  The cups are too small for my ears which I consider to be average size.  The fit is tight, but I'm okay with that as I plan to wear these while exercising.  The overall build quality seems excellent- rugged and durable for active use.

Bass

There are many adjectives I could use.  I will simply say this is the most powerful good bass I have ever heard in a headphone, ever so slightly besting the M-Audio Q40 which was my previous bass king.  With the samples I have tried, the bass does not bleed into the mids which is very important to me.

Mids

The mids are decent- smooth and pleasing.  However, they are recessed and lacking detail, but have reasonable detail for their price range.

Highs

The high end is probably the biggest shortcoming of the 700 MK2.  They are slightly dark, but not as dark as other bassy "DJ" headphones I have tried such as some Pioneers and the Aiaiai TMA-1.  Highs are not as well extended as I would like and accentuate the lack of detail.  On a positive note, there is no sibilance as I have heard with the Q40, but the Q40 has superior extension and more accurate reproduction on the high end.  Another positive is that the PRO700MK2s are non-fatiguing.  If deciding between the PRO700MK2 and Q40, I will definitely take the PRO700MK2 after EQing.  See edit below.

Conclusion

While these can be adequately powered with a smartphone, they definitely benefit from (and can handle) an amplifier.  Since I primarily listen portably, I sampled with and without my FiiO E11.  Despite the fact that I don't consider the ATH-PRO700MK2 to be my "holy grail" headphone, I am pleased with them and will enjoy them when I listen to dance/club/hip hop.  My musical taste includes almost every genre and I will still be searching for a headphone that is more comfortable with highly detailed mids, well-extended highs that are neither bright nor dark and with the bass these offer which is perfection at a price I can afford (under $500).  I am holding out hope for new and upcoming releases from V-Moda and Denon.

Please note my value rating is based on my purchase price as refurbished.  New at $200 or so, I would rate value as a 3.  There is also an anniversary edition with gold accents available for about the same price new.

EDIT:  They are growing on me as my ears adjust to their signature, but I would still describe them as dark.  It just feels like something is missing from the high end.  After downloading an equalizer program (Denon's free music app), I was able to correct nearly all of my perceived shortcomings of these headphones.  With a tweaked U-curve, I was able to even further enhance the bass without becoming muddy or distorted and correct the darkness on the high end.  These are excellent cans with high quality drivers that are fully capable of responding to any input given.  While their detail is very good, if you are a stickler for detail, you will want to look further.  I consider these to be the best sounding "fun" can that I own.

AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2

The ATH-PRO700MK2 boasts quality sound in the DJ booth with high SPL and a "thick" bass making the beats really easy to listen to even in high ambient sound situations. The housing swivels 50/90 degrees to accommodate your monitoring style and the light weight makes it perfect for long hours of DJ play. The detachable cord makes maintenance a breeze and there's two types of cord to choose from.

Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AUDIO TECHNICA ATH PRO700 mk2