Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones

Rated #167 in Over-Ear

Pros: Angelic highs

Cons: Demonic bass

I like this headphone a lot.

My initial thoughts are... undertones of cherry walnut, infused with Goji berry from the fifth mountain of Ming valley watercrest, beckoned by the hurricane of Sakura, the tiger can't reach the candle.

Read more here - http://www.head-fi.org/t/545288/audio-technica-ath-es-10-appreciation-thread/120#post_8522317

Pros: Sound, Comfort, Lightweight, Build quality

Cons: Price, Blink Blink looks might not suit everyone

I've own most Audio Technica Portables (es7, esw9, esw10jpn, m50) and some other phone (Denon a100, tried Ultrasone 780 & 580). And This is by far my best choice. This may not be as good as esw10 but it is much more comfortable. Unlike esw10 that has huge amount of clamping force, es10 pads sits lightly on your ears. Other than that the build quality in this non limited edition seems more sturdy than the esw10, I think the Denon A100 also have worse build quality compared to this, so I think this is my perfect portable phone: Sturdy, lightweight, comfortable, and beautiful (this may vary).

The sound is also not that bad; I think it sounds great; well it's sounds more consumer oriented compared to esw10. While ESW10 sounds much more natural and seems to be the "reference" quality for portable phone. This phone offers much more fun; it sounds more like m50 than to ESW10 mainly I think is due the bass quantity; Despite that I think it sounded better than m50, it has more bass extension and stronger mids. the bass might be boomy but it never dominates the rest of the spectrum like on other bassy phones. Despite that It also offer great extension and detail on bass. The midrange is what makes it an Audio Technica phones, warm and lush; though it might recess a bit on  poorly recorded track. Soundstage is still small, a bit bigger than AT es line but smaller than A100. Separation is a bit poor compared to esw10, maybe due to bass. Headphone amplifier isn't a requirement but it does scale well; it gain more benefit compared to the old 42 mm AT driver. Nevertheless it's a great phone !

Some Updates, after few days using receiver as source I feel there are noticeable driven when driven by mp3 player that amp is just so so, I'm thinking of buying some Fiio or changing DAP

Pros: Warm and balanced sound, authoritative bass extension and weight, non-fatiguing

Cons: Could be more airy and articulate

For a portable, the ES-10 has surprisingly substantial sub-bass--very similar to the M50, with both able to almost match the D7000 all the way down to 30Hz (although the D7000 does it effortlessly, while the two AT models struggle a little bit more). In fact. The ES-10 and the M50 sounded so similar to the point where I wondered if they use the same driver. It's a pleasant and warm sound without any sibilance, but not as articulate or airy as I'd like. Being a portable on-the-ear is fine since it's actually pretty comfortable, but I still prefer to not have something pressing on my ears at all. I wouldn't pick the ES-10 over the M50 since the M50 costs less than half but sounds so similar, and is more comfortable, being full-sized, not to mention it folds down and is quite portable.

Audio-Technica ATH-ES10 EarSuit Headphones