Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones

Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones

Rated #91 in In-Ear

Pros: watery mids, airy highs, revealing, detailed, exceptional for trance and similiar music, excellent for background listening or sleeping in.

Cons: unnatural and flat sounding, not suitable for rock.

These are most likely the best IEM's you will ever find for trance, let me explain, firstly it is as if they are fine-tuned and sonically crafted for Trance and similiar genres, all the vices you heard in these IEM's in other genres suddenly become virtues and they simply come alive and you are swept away.

Secondly, there is something about the sound signature in these IEM's that is trance inducing, I believe it lies in the very flat and true to life frequency response and satin smooth mids, it's like listening to water, like a band playing on a misty lake, this quality is very fine and quite relaxing, unlike other IEM's I can listen to these for hours and I even fell asleep in them listening at low volumes.

Likewise I find them quite suitable for classical thanks to the very high detail retreival and true to life frequency response especially somewhere up around 6kHz-10kHz.

Next genre, I listened to the album Homogenic by Björk, I found this album remarkable on these IEM's.

_______

Next genre, rock, vocals..... hm?  what's this?  Not so good here, every texture I'm used to is smoothed over, sand turns into silk, frost turns into water, marble into milk.... you get the idea, they lack livliness and aren't acoustically involving.

Listening to my Rock music as I'm writing this I had "Broder Daniel - Work" playing, and then halfway through the track I switched my ck10's with my stripped MDR-E888's, I can instantly hear everything I was missing, the vocals, percussion and electric guitars all sound more raw, acoustic and real now, much better for this kind of music.  So, I will give the ck10's a 7/10 for rock, and 10/10 for Trance.  I can live with this vice, they have a very high sound quality, so they will sound OK with any genre, for sure, and you can't expect 10/10 sound in portable audio.

_____

The accessories is nothing to write home about, and the cable looks pretty normal to me, I've seen better cables.

Design is top notch, it feels so intuitive and simple to hook them over your ear, I achieved a perfect fit immediately.  They are so small, and the dark-teal coloured metal covers almost make them look like jewelery in your ears.

Comfort and isolation is very good, I fell asleep in them.

Build-quality seems superior, I feel like I could go jogging with these in the rain, take them to the beach, the snow, or a concert, I feel like they'll hold up.

________

Verdict:

For the price, I'd only recommend these to someone that listens to trance everyday, or someone that wants to make a long-term investment in a pair of high sound-quality IEM's that will not fail them.

If you want raw, edgy, lifelike, acoustic sound or open-window transparency, don't look here, my $75 stripped MDR-E888's I used in this review outperform them here.

If you want overall high sound-quality, mids so watery it feels like you could drink them, and highs so airy and detailed they're like... air... you should look here.

_________

curiosa:

- I listen to music at high volumes, these seem to have tamed my high volume listening habits, so I think these IEM's are healthy for me, the flat FR and high detail at low volumes makes the listening experience fine.

- Deep insertion results in better sound.

_____________________

Most Exceptional Tracks

Tiesto - Adagio For Strings

Paul Oakenfold - Gamemaster (original mix)

ap-aqua.line.spirit

Dj Murasame - Scripted Connection -original extended-

Hilary Hahn - Paganini Caprice No. 24*

Björk - bachelorette*

Least Exceptional Tracks

my entire rock collection.

---------------------------------------------------

Pros: Soundstage, clarity, detail

Cons: bit pricey now, bass quantity if that is your thing

Well what do I really need to say that the title doesn't? These IEM's are the best universals I have ever owned or listened to. They are the complete package for me, they fit great, isolate well, have a build quality higher than anything else I have ever owned and have sound to die for. They are the most enjoyable universals I have owned and I know from the minute I listened to the loaner pair I got from ljokerl last June that someday I would own them. I remember putting them in, playing a song and knowing that they were special, something that one day I would own, didn't know when or how but I would get them eventually.

I now own a pair of JH5's and those are more natural sounding and "fun" with a more cohesive sound as well as a custom fit. In these regards they do surpass the CK10's and overall I feel the JH5's are better however the CK10's are by no means slaughtered. They hold up quite respectably and I still pop them in every now and then just to experience that almost holographic soundstage again.

Pros: Extreme technical capabilities

Cons: Timbre and character

I won't write too much about this because there's much that has already been said about it. I've had this for a long time so the new toy syndrome has worn off, and boredom has set in. However recently I've been appreciating its sound more, and decided to share some thoughts.

If you like detail, speed, sparkle and great microphonics, then this is your iem. It is a specialised tool that enables you to comb through any track for deficiencies if you want. This comes with a downside though, and it may bother some people. The timbre is not suitable for every genre, sounding unnatural and sometimes clinical.

This is perhaps the best earphone for trance and other forms of electronic music. The speed and detail both complement the artificial perfection of the genre, and the isolation truly allows the listener to float off into another world. The sound signature is very well suited, with quick bass that never fatigues or congests. The highs are magically sparkly, giving the feeling of space, and the soundstage is quite good as well.

Most other genres are certainly performed to a high degree of technical ability, but whether you will enjoy it as your only earphone is up to you. I find it enough, but there are just some moments where I want something different.

Build quality, comfort and isolation are all near perfect. The plug could be right angled, and the other two are arguably enough for 99% of people 99% of the time.

Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones

Equipped with a dual balanced armature driver and a compact design that fits perfectly and comfortably in the ears, the ATH-CK10 is one of the top-quality in-ear headphones on the market. With its high-impedance design, the ATH-CK10 can also provide truly impactful bass. The cord fits comfortably and securely around the ears. Ideal for use with all audio sources, including MP3 and other portable players, they are supplied with small, medium and large interchangeable earpieces for a comfortable, custom fit.

BrandAudio-Technica
EAN4961310100070
FeatureIncludes hard case and S/M/L earpieces
Height0.5 inches