Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Sound Cards › Asus Xonar DGX

Asus Xonar DGX

Pros: Excellent sound quality; Most awesome positional sound through Dolby Headphone; Low-Price; Stable and Low-latency UNi drivers with accurate 7.1 sound

Cons: Difficult to make it fit into PCI-E slot while keeping it fully attached to case

First of all the other reviewers may have had issues with drivers for this card, but I had 0 problems. It was as easy to install as pressing "Install". It required nothing more and at the moment, UNi drivers are of the highest quality, offering Low-Latency installation and very accurate Dolby Headphone 7.1 profile, far more accurate than official ASUS drivers provide. Do not download or use official ASUS Xonar drivers - install UNi Xonar drivers ONLY.

The UNi Drivers Dolby Headphone Surround Sound 7.1 profile is truly a miracle for gamers. You can spot your enemies just by listening to their foot-steps or gun-fire, knowing instantly from which direction they are coming and how far they are. It truly immerses one into gaming, as if being right then and there. I find UNi Xonar 7.1 Dobly Headphone profile more accurate than CMSS-3D and SBX Surround Sound technologies, but it does produce slight echo and reverberation that some people dislike. The sound quality itself is excellent. There is no crackling, noises, hissing, or latency issues that I experienced with Sound Blaster cards like X-Fi Titanium, no matter how updated drivers were. This card is rated @ 10ohms impedance, so for the best quality sound, please use headphones rated@ 80ohms or higher. However, this card performs extremely well even with 64ohm headphones, such Sennheiser HD-280 Pro.

The worst aspect of this card is that it often comes with inaccurately positioned metal tab, on which resides a hole needed for attaching the card to the case with a screw. It may affect only some cards, but I know several people with this exact issue. There was no way for me to keep the card fully inserted into PCI-E slot, while being tightly attached to my PC case with a screw. I had to pick to either have it fully inserted into PCI-E slot that would prevent me from attaching the card to my case or I could attach to my case, but the card would be inserted about 70% into PCI-E slot. I left the card attached to my case without it being fully inserted into PCI-E slot simply because the card still worked without any issues, which means all the contacts worked in PCI-E slot. Another solution is to manually bend the metal tab that attaches to the case in a manner that would allow both - full insertion into PCI-E slot and complete attached to my PC case, but the metal tab would be bent and it would be visible on the back of the case.

I recommend this card to any gamer on the budget who wants to experience truly high-end sound quality, accurate surround sound quality, problem-free performance, and the best value sound card their money can buy!

Pros: Great sound quality, good microphone input quality, built-in headphone amplifier, compact size, surround sound simulation

Cons: High output impedance, drivers can be annoying

This card is really great if you're looking to power higher impedance cans at a bargain price. Another really great thing about this is that it's microphone input is vastly superior to that of most onboard solutions. The drivers work well most of the time, but sometimes mess around during installation. Also, like most dedicated sound cards, it has a high output impedance so it might not be well suited for low impedance headphones or IEMs.

However, all in all, it's still a great card because it's so ******* cheap and gives you so much.

Pros: better than your on board soundcard , crisp clear sound better than creative codecs, 24 bit dac, TOSLINK optical outpu pass through, budget card

Cons: hard to install, drivers suck (get uni xonar drivers and they are still hard to install),

Ok I bought this card just for my Schiit Gungnir because my optical output on my motherboard broke off. So I went to microcenter and picked up this guy, the associate tried to sale me and crappy recon3d I knew this guy had no idea what he was talking about because creative cards are mostly codec based. So I went and bought the DGX and got home open the box, the pins were bent to ****. I tried to adjust them. I spent like 3 hrs trying to install the PCIe card and I almost gave up, until I saw this guy bend the ends where it screws in at, so I did that couple of times, I did not get the flushed result I want, but it was good enough. Then when I finally got it installed drivers took like 2 or 3 times to install. Then I realized my toslink was passing through the speakers and I honestly thought it wasn't hitting the gungnir wasnt being utilized. So I installed a modded driver and I had to put my windows 8 in test mode permanently to install the drivers for the driver enforcement bs. Well I got it working, foobar was recognizing the SPDIF pass through.

- Drivers suck on the soundcard the overall chip is good just the drivers not so much

- SQ and Dolby Headphone (I don't use but its a cool feature, cause i'm running everything through DAC and amplifier don't want to distort the sound)

- Hi-fi Mode disables all processing (which is awesome)

I'm just using this for my Schiit Gungnir, so far no jittering or noise. So its doing it's job

Asus Xonar DGX
By:

Description:The Xonar DGX audio card combines Dolby Headphone 5.1 high definition surround with the ASUS-exclusive GX 2.5 gaming audio engine and an on-board headphone amplifier. These result in accurate and deep audio that brings every nuance and sound across fully, making the Xonar DGX 5.1 an ideal audio card for gamers who want to remain totally aware of their play environments.The Xonar DGX uses three modes to cater to different usage scenarios: voice, pro-gaming, and exciter modes. Sound positioning helps gamers become better informed of environments and thus more competitive, especially in multiplayer first person shooters.Features: Built-in Headphone AMP to power up every sound detail in gaming 3 headphone AMP gain modes for different usage scenarios - VOIP, pro-gaming, exciter Dolby Headphone technology for an immersive 5.1 surround experience ASUS exclusive GX2.5 gaming audio engine for realistic 3D audio effects

BindingElectronics