Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › AKG K 702 Headphones › AKG K 702 Headphones Reviews

AKG K 702 Headphones Reviews

Positive Reviews

EddieE

A great companion to the HD650

Pros: Spacious sound stage; realistic vocals; high level of detail; lightweight and comfortable for long sessions;

Cons: Can be a little on the cold side

I've owned these for the best part of a month now and have done some extensive listening with them both in extended listening sessions of several albums and of comparative listening sessions with with my HD650. I feel I am ready to comment on the qualities of these phones.   I had always intended to put these and the HD650 against each other and sell one, as I had thought it would be an indulgence to keep two expensive open circumaural home-listening phones. The problem I have found (and it's a good problem to have) is that the are fantastic companions. Any type of music the HD650 does not do so well with, the K702 shines with and where the K702 seems a bit too formal and cold, the HD650s...

Negative Reviews

BaboonGuy

Don't believe the hype

Pros: Weight, Comfort, Soundstage

Cons: Tone, Fatiguing

I used this out of a USB Pico DAC -> Dynalo (Sheer Audio HA-006+) -> K702 using well ripped FLAC files   I really thought this was going to be better, but I really just do not like these headphones much at all. Probably my biggest complaint is the airyness and tone of the vocals. I also have a pair of Grado HF2 and the HF2 just absolutely completely super duper destroys the K702 in tonality, especially the vocals.   It's also very fatiguing for my ears for some reason, even at quiet-medium listening levels. I've read this is because it has a high frequency spike or something. Oh well. I learned a valuable lesson with these K702, the best and only way to know if a headphone sounds...

More Reviews

Dev Avidon

All Work and No Play

Pros: Dead neutral, detailed and revealing (though oddly enough, not on the same level as the much warmer HD-650s), extremely comfortable (for me anyhow)

Cons: Not "fun" to listen to. Cold, analytical and soulless poorly amped, hardly inviting even out of my best gear. Cheap plastic on band breaks easily.

And yet, of every headphone I've ever owned, heard, lived with, worked with...you name it at a sane price range, these are the ones that time and time and again I come back to when I'm testing out new gear.  That should basically say it all.  When I want to know what, on average, a new DAC or amp (especially a new amp) is worth, these are the first cans I run through them.  Because if it can do these justice, it's looking good for pretty much every other hard-to-drive can in my inventory (and there are a few).  I also use these pretty much exclusively for tracking and mobile editing.    And as much as I want to malign their lack of apparent musicality, I nevertheless end up using them for...
YoYo JoKeR

AKG K702: The Best Kept Secret

Pros: Reference Performance, Well Engineered, Very Comfortable, Unbeatable Value

Cons: Bass Slightly Lacking in Quantity

Me: I am a 21 year old student living in a small town in India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time passed, the passion of music grew in me, and that subsequently led me to join Head-Fi. Eventually, I found the pleasure of listening to music mainly by the HD600 and recently, by the seductive LCD2 headphones, and realized the true components of recorded music. I usually like to listen to Indian Classical Music along with Bollywood songs. My main listening genres include classical, vocal, instrumental, jazz and sometimes pop.  With time, my sonic preferences have very much grown. I avidly...
twelvebears

Basically Awesome!

Pros: Comfort, build, sound.

Cons: Nothing that I can think of.

So I have essentially re-p[purchased a pair of K702s, in as much as I previously owned and sold a pair of K701s   I had got rid of the K701s because I just wasn't using them much, due to the fact that I'm basically bald and found the bumps on the underside of the headband quite uncomfortable.   I came back to these after a very disappointing experience with a pair of Beyerdynamic T90s - I know some folks love them, but they did absolutely nothing for me.   With the smooth, non-bumpy headband and removable cable, the K702 is pretty much my perfect set of 'phones.   I really rate the build quality and design and find them supremely comfortable now the headband...
MarkJnK

AKG 701, great phone, amazing value

Airy soundstage, sparkling detail, and a slightly cool presentation, with accurate and detailed bass response, lighter bass than others I've owned but not bass-light.  Paired with my WA6se, Sovtek rectifier (to fill out the bottom end) and Sylavania 6DE7, they sounded wonderful.
bwhsh8r

Clear, detailed, bass light.

Pros: really clear, good soundstage, comfortable

Cons: hard to drive

I like the AKG k702, they are pleasant to listen to, do a good job of positioning, very airy and open.  Sound is very balanced for the most part, but could use a little more bass (might also be my amp, I don't think my littledot has enough power for these or the hd800s)   I like them 99.7% as much as my HD800s (out of this source) if that gives you any hint!
TheWuss

love 'em or hate 'em

Pros: excellent value; wide soundstage; great rendering of acoustic instruments

Cons: lacks bass impact; shouty upper midrange; headband bumps are uncomfortable for some

Just trying to pull the average up. can't believe someone would give reference headphones of this quality a 1.5 star rating overall. but, that, i suppose is the love/hate nature of the k701/k702.   personally, i feel they are wonderful headphones.  and, at $260 street price at time of this posting, you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding pair for the money.   they are a little light in bass impact, and a little strong in the upper mid (female vocal range).  harmony vocals can get a little shouty sometimes.    but, what they do well is render acoustic instruments with startling realism, and produce a spacious sound that is perfect for listening to concert hall recordings.    ideal...
mmayer167

Excellent

Pros: Very detail oriented

Cons: headband not so comfy past 30 min.

I loved them while I had them, recabled them with DHC Nucleotide cable and liked them even more. There is a but, I was not able to pony up the cash to power them properly so I had to let them go. I thought I could make them work with the rig i had (uDAC->Indeed hyrbid) but it ended up just frustrating me. They were awesome with female vocals and any acoustic recordings! Every once and a while I get phantom memories of those mids and cry a bit inside because they are gone...  Someday I'll own them again!
Farnsworth

Fantastic detail and soundstage

Pros: Detailed sound and huge soundstage

Cons: Bumps on headband kinda hurt, needs proper amping.

Beautiful detailed and analytical sound provide a well balanced and easy listening experience. This, coupled with a huge soundstage, put these headphones at the top of my list.
interpolate

Revealing

Pros: Open-back design allows excess frequencies bleed out

Cons: Bass inaccurate when compared to other reference speakers

Background information:   I am a hobbyist, part-time geek, audio enthusiast who likes high fidelity gear (or just whatever I can afford on the day). You'll find me messing around in Sonar Platinum, EWQL Virtual instruments and other wonderful music production programs.    For reference music: I regard Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, Mike Oldfield, Brian Eno and other progressive rock as a benchmark point. Also some classical recordings are a good way to evaluate the sound quality of some headphone products. Neutraility suits me best as I can always add and subtract sounds with an equaliser. CD Audio, DVD Audio and FLAC are my go to formats for music or at least MP3 320K. ...
Johannus

Fantastic sound clarity and definition. Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. The soundstage is the best!

Pros: Fantastic sound clarity and definition. Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. The soundstage is the best.

Cons: Not for everyone. Bass can be a little weak in some tracks. Hard to drive, amp needed.

Fantastic Reference Headphones, fantastic sound clarity and definition. The soundstage is the best! Incredible detailed sound and instruments separation. Not for everyone. This is a very honest headphone: very analytical sound, bad recordings will sound bad, good recordings will sound fantastic pleasant. Bass can be a little weak in some tracks. Hard to drive, amp needed.