Stax SR-X9000
May 27, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #3,061 of 3,068
Anyone had fit issue? I feel a lot of pressure on the left cheek/jaw but was fine with 009. Right side is also fine.
Also earcup seems shallow. My left ear is touching the mesh. So I have to make some mod to thicken the earcup. Its easy to do, just cut o-ring foams and stick in the earcup.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 10:36 PM Post #3,062 of 3,068
Anyone had fit issue?
Fortunately not for me. No unusual pressure for me. I did have to wear the earcups a little bit higher on the head because if I put them one notch lower on the adjustment slider, the edges of the headband where they meet the slider would press into my head above the ears and cause sore spots. Retracting the headband by one notch on each side fixed that issue.

My ears stick out a lot, so it is unusual for my ears to not touch the inside of a headphone. Mine gently touch the mesh but it's not uncomfortable.

May 27, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #3,063 of 3,068
Fortunately not for me. No unusual pressure for me. I did have to wear the earcups a little bit higher on the head because if I put them one notch lower on the adjustment slider, the edges of the headband where they meet the slider would press into my head above the ears and cause sore spots. Retracting the headband by one notch on each side fixed that issue.

My ears stick out a lot, so it is unusual for my ears to not touch the inside of a headphone. Mine gently touch the mesh but it's not uncomfortable.
Yeah, its nothing uncomfortable that ear touches the mesh. I am just wondering if that will cause any impact to the little "environment" inside the earcup if one touches the mesh while the other doesn't?

May 28, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #3,064 of 3,068
Anyone had fit issue? I feel a lot of pressure on the left cheek/jaw but was fine with 009. Right side is also fine.
Also earcup seems shallow. My left ear is touching the mesh. So I have to make some mod to thicken the earcup. Its easy to do, just cut o-ring foams and stick in the earcup.
I'm apparently rare in my complaints with the X9000's pad comfort. Not enough front and back seal for me, incurring more pressure on the upper and lower middle parts of the pads. The pads also feel shallower than my Meze Elite's hybrid pads, maybe lightly touching my auricles. The 009S's pads at the audio show felt plenty fine and were probably softer, but I could hear some mild Stax fart on removing them.

May 28, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #3,065 of 3,068
I'm apparently rare in my complaints with the X9000's pad comfort. Not enough front and back seal for me, incurring more pressure on the upper and lower middle parts of the pads. The pads also feel shallower than my Meze Elite's hybrid pads, maybe lightly touching my auricles. The 009S's pads at the audio show felt plenty fine and were probably softer, but I could hear some mild Stax fart on removing them.
I have the same feeling. X9000 cups are shallow. 009 feels more comfy (can't say softer because they are both soft) but had the fart, too.

May 30, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #3,066 of 3,068
Figured I can share this with yall, too:
I finally got some time to compare 009 and x9000. Turns out its very out of my expectation... I expected much smaller sound stage, that's still true. But what gave me surprise was - 009 sounds very "plastic"... Everything is closer due to smaller stage but man what 009 in my memory gave me was true images that can make all other headphones sound "plastic"... Never expect one day 009 would sound "fake" and "plastic". Also the bass or lower end didn't have whole lot difference. I guess this amp Novem contributes a bit. The x9000 did give more elasticity and tiny bit deeper lower end though.
Guess people can't feel the improvement easily but can feel what's gone worse much easier when switching in another order. I heard similar description when 009s came and made 009 sound a tiny bit vague. I think its the same feeling here.

May 30, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #3,067 of 3,068
Figured I can share this with yall, too:
I finally got some time to compare 009 and x9000. Turns out its very out of my expectation... I expected much smaller sound stage, that's still true. But what gave me surprise was - 009 sounds very "plastic"...

I had the exact same feeling... also with the 007 Mk1, to say it. But I think it's a feeling when changing headphones fast - you need some time to adjust to the different type of presentation, and your brain will make sense out of the music with all of them. Wait until that and then try to formulate the differences again. There are people who still prefer the 007 Mk1 for its presentation, after long term listening. So there is a relativity there - of course you are free to share the experience of the other headphones sounding "plastic", and that may even be consistent (like me hearing that, too), the situation may be a bit more complex.

May 30, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #3,068 of 3,068
I had the exact same feeling... also with the 007 Mk1, to say it. But I think it's a feeling when changing headphones fast - you need some time to adjust to the different type of presentation, and your brain will make sense out of the music with all of them. Wait until that and then try to formulate the differences again. There are people who still prefer the 007 Mk1 for its presentation, after long term listening. So there is a relativity there - of course you are free to share the experience of the other headphones sounding "plastic", and that may even be consistent (like me hearing that, too), the situation may be a bit more complex.
It is indeed complex. Preference is a different story, too. If for pop music, 009 is as good as x9000 or even better since vocals are closer. Regarding other headphone feel "plastic", there are too many compare to estat headphones such as some beyerdynamic ones and so on. They are good headphones I am sure but just more "plastic" compare to estats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back