ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Apr 30, 2024 at 8:59 AM Post #7,081 of 7,284
Anyone running the Caldera on the Mjnolnir 3 amp? Thoughts on synergies etc appreciated. Thanks!
I am! It is an awesome combination, and my favorite pairing.

I’ve tried it on the Folkvangr, pendant SE, a90d, magnius, and MJ3 definitely has the best synergy to my ears

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #7,083 of 7,284
New headphone day! Thanks, @tawmizzzz!

_DSC6745-Edit.jpg

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #7,084 of 7,284
May 1, 2024 at 2:17 AM Post #7,085 of 7,284
May 1, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #7,087 of 7,284
Do you prefer Susvara or Caldera more?
I think they complement each other well. I reach for the Susvara when I want a more “natural” sound, especially for - focus on instrumental, orchestral, and vocals. The Caldera on the other hand, like other ZMFs, is very musical and fun, but the sound is colored somewhat compared to Susvara (to my ears). I enjoy Caldera for all music genres. Both are excellent headphones and you can’t go wrong with either. Just depends what your preference is. If possible, get both :wink:

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 1:32 PM Post #7,089 of 7,284
@K3cT

My subjective take is that Caldera are more physical and dynamic; they feel more energetic. They also have a slightly larger soundstage.

The Tungsten have a smoother more refined presentation: their is less physical than the Caldera’s but extends a bit lower, provided great amplification.

They are both very well resolving, offering genuinely (very) different flavors.

Also note, the Tungsten require serious amping to reach their potential. While the Caldera scale wonderfully with better chains, they can be driven and enjoyed with almost any amp, making then a much more flexible driver.

May 2, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #7,090 of 7,284
I heard the tungsten at canjam along with the susvara which I own and love...incredibly the tungsten makes the susvara seem like it is easy to drive so dont even bother with it unless you have an amp up to the task

May 2, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #7,091 of 7,284
I heard the tungsten at canjam along with the susvara which I own and love...incredibly the tungsten makes the susvara seem like it is easy to drive so dont even bother with it unless you have an amp up to the task
That's part of the fun, right?

May 3, 2024 at 2:04 AM Post #7,092 of 7,284
@K3cT

My subjective take is that Caldera are more physical and dynamic; they feel more energetic. They also have a slightly larger soundstage.

The Tungsten have a smoother more refined presentation: their is less physical than the Caldera’s but extends a bit lower, provided great amplification.

They are both very well resolving, offering genuinely (very) different flavors.

Also note, the Tungsten require serious amping to reach their potential. While the Caldera scale wonderfully with better chains, they can be driven and enjoyed with almost any amp, making then a much more flexible driver.

Thanks. It seems that the Tungsten must sounds like a further refined LCD-4 which if so they must sound completely different than Caldera.

May 3, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #7,093 of 7,284
May 4, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #7,094 of 7,284
phew! just finished a marathon read of this thread. what a helpful and friendly place to hang-out. i don't think that i have a question about the caldera that hasn't already been answered here. i can't think of a more responsive and unassuming headphone maker than Zach. his passion for his craft and this hobby is evident. and the many pics of his stunning creations that have been posted here showcase them beautifully. color me impressed.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 9:16 AM Post #7,095 of 7,284
Just decided the take the mantle mesh off my caldera since it was taming the treble too much for my taste while smoothing out the sparkle and air from the top end. After going through the last 7-10 pages of this thread, i slapped on a pair of caldera thicks and now I cant take the hp off my ears LOL. The bass is sublime and the top end sounds like a typical ZMF house sound with top end magic for days. The bass is so smooth and punchy that I would say this combination gives my bass king LCD-4 a run for its money. Really happy with the switch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back