ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
Sep 11, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #16 of 7,485
Saw more info on r/headphones

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:08 PM Post #17 of 7,485
I am curious if Caldera will be high impedance (200 - 300 ohms ) like Audeze LCD-4 or low impedance (15 - 20 ohms) like Audeze LCD-4z.

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #19 of 7,485
There's more info coming in the head fi canjam video this week. So make sure to watch that! I will continuously release info and content up to the release in November.
I read the Caldera will have a new pad design. Will that pad be able to be used with Atrium/Verite & VC?

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #21 of 7,485
Saw more info on r/headphones
Full reddit info:

From Zach:

Caldera is a type of massive volcano - we are using the Volcano theme because the new CAMS (caldera Asymmetrical Magnet structure) Patent Pending Magnet structure is shaped like a volcano/mountain on one side. This shape allows air to naturally spread out, and maintains a slightly asymmetric magnet force that makes the membrane more nodal, pushing a massive amount of air towards the ear and diffusing it at the same time. In concert with the also Patent Pending Atrium damping system which is also used on the Caldera, you get a linear frequency response, with a massive amount of punch, weight, and natural tones that ZMF is known for for the listener.

Aside from the new tech, we have a new earpad design for the Caldera, with what we will probably call Caldera Pads, which have a "fluting" from a smaller size on the driver size, to a larger size on the ear side. It's similar to the shape of the Audeze pads on the LCD 5, but will be more "flat" on the ear side like a volcano, This pad shape enables sound to retain air pressure on the baffle/headphone side, and for the ear cavity to still feel very open naturally. We will have three depths of these pads, and also will introduce Cowhide into one version of them, as cowhide pads can work brilliantly with planars.

The Caldera has an 80mm driver size, impedance is 65 ohms, Sensitivity is 95 dB/Mw. The baffle is made from true carbon fiber for weight, and has the asymmetrical magnets facing the front of the membrane, although different configurations could be used if warranted. Price for the stock wood will be $3499.99 with a 3199.99 release price. Stock wood is white oak. This is an open headphone utilizing the same cups as Atrium with different grille structure.

Sonically the Caldera takes a lot of the ideas that started when ZMF was a T50 modding business, which a lot of those new to ZMF may not know about. It expands on the explosive, easy going sound that the Blackwood and Ori brought to the t50 arena, except with a more evolved sound and current tech. When you think of the sound of the Caldera, it's BIG, with an adaptable stage like the Atrium, but loads of weight and control that comes with typical planar dreams, but the mid-range and treble stand out because of the ZMF damping systems and airflow of the magnets, it's more lucid and nimble, reminiscent of a great dynamic headphone. I did reference the harmon curve for parts of the tuning, specifically the 1.5 to 4khz area and made "some" decisions based on that, but I would NOT categorize this as a harmon tuned headphone, just one where I was conscious of it in regards to midrange peformance.

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #22 of 7,485
80mm Driver, 65 ohms impedance. Priced at $3.5K; $3.1K at release November.

Oh wow, is this confirmed?!? There goes my 3-headed monster flagship theory 😂

I respect they got the impedance up fairly high for a Planar. No way it was going to be anywhere near 300 ohms, though, considering I think the max we've seen for a Planar tends to be around 80ish

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #24 of 7,485
There will be a lot of ppl with otl amps just for ZMF cans sick now. Glad I got the WA22! I can't wait for impressions of the Caldera! I'm curious if it will shine on tubes like the DD ZMF cans! 🤔

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #25 of 7,485
I wonder if this will unwittingly become the Atrium killer.

If this ends up having Atrium-level punch and slam I’ll be pretty pissed I bought the Atrium.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #27 of 7,485

I respect they got the impedance up fairly high for a Planar. No way it was going to be anywhere near 300 ohms, though, considering I think the max we've seen for a Planar tends to be around 80ish
The Audeze LCD-4 is 200 ohms. I run it with OTL Woo WA2 (among other h/p/a).

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #28 of 7,485
I wonder if this will unwittingly become the Atrium killer.

If this ends up having Atrium-level punch and slam I’ll be pretty pissed I bought the Atrium.
I feel like it's gonna be a different flavor entirely. I enjoy the Atriums slam but that's not my main reason for loving the Atrium. To me it's more about the timbre.

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #29 of 7,485
The Audeze LCD-4 is 200 ohms. I run it with OTL Woo WA2 (among other h/p/a).
Forgot about the original LCD-4. Suppose the Caldera could have clocked in closer to that and would have been very OTL friendly, but I imagine Zach and the team had a reason for the lower rating.

Sep 11, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #30 of 7,485
Super excited about this. I’m hoping this is the sub $1000 headphone that Zach has been trying to make but something tells me this’ll be a flagship.

Nowadays, why would you ask 1K $ or € for a pair of headphones if you can sell them for 3 K and people buy them? :rolling_eyes: (well, less people... But a lot are here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back