ZMF Caldera - New Planar Magnetic from ZMF!
May 16, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #7,276 of 7,286
Those would be the Cowhide Thin pads, you can see my thoughts about those pads and the ultraperforated pads here: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/zmf-caldera-open-back-planar-magnetic-headphones/5.html (I don't have the Caldera Thick pads though).
i've read your review - good stuff btw. :relaxed: these are the measurements of the cowhide pads from the zmf website:

Caldera ST (RED) vs Cowhide (DOTTED)

Calderas-S_f6b61c3e_1669065488607.jpg

May 16, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #7,278 of 7,286
Ahhh yeah, so perhaps there is Lambskin Thin? I hope the standardized Caldera pad names will help remove such confusion sooner than later.
There are two types of thin pads: cowhide and lambskin.

May 16, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #7,279 of 7,286
Ahhh yeah, so perhaps there is Lambskin Thin? I hope the standardized Caldera pad names will help remove such confusion sooner than later.
yes there is and i suspect that the lambskin thin pad is ultra perforated but i'm not sure

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #7,281 of 7,286
There is very obvious bass roll off with that pad so it doesn’t feel like a finished product (sorry Zach!).
I have the ultra perf suede and never even considered using it for the Caldera because I understood it was primarily for the dynamics. It's become my preferred pad on the Atrium, Verite, and Aeolus and I'd presume the lambskin version would also sound great with those 3. That's a finished product to me if it outperforms all the other pads which have been around for years.

May 16, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #7,282 of 7,286
Roger that, might really be the case that Zach wanted to bring the new Caldera pad tech onto the rest of the line with the Ultra Perforated's.
Then it will be Lamb Stock + Thick and maybe Suede as a 3rd option :)

What makes me a bit curious is, that if i pick Suede as the 3rd option it shows "top perf only" and as 2nd pads the usual "top and side perf" :thinking:

Screenshot_8.png

May 16, 2024 at 7:09 PM Post #7,283 of 7,286
is the thin pad in this measurement from zmf's website the ultra perforated pad?

CALDERA: DIFFUSE FIELD MEASUREMENTS​

Caldera STOCK (RED SOLID) vs THIN (DOTTED)

Calderas-S_624f4485_1669065435960.jpg
Caldera thin pads are terrible, burn them with fire. :fire:🤣

May 16, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #7,285 of 7,286
I don't much like them, either--but they don't really qualify for an exorcism.
lol. I quite like the thin pads. The sense of punch and slam seems most pronounced on those pads. Over time I’ve come to think the stock pads sound most natural, while the suede pads are amazing for female vocals. Can’t speak to the thick pads because I’ve been so satisfied with the stock and suede that I’ve not had reason to try the thick ones.

May 17, 2024 at 12:18 AM Post #7,286 of 7,286
lol. I quite like the thin pads. The sense of punch and slam seems most pronounced on those pads. Over time I’ve come to think the stock pads sound most natural, while the suede pads are amazing for female vocals. Can’t speak to the thick pads because I’ve been so satisfied with the stock and suede that I’ve not had reason to try the thick ones.
I agree I had gotten the ultra perf for my atrium prior to getting a caldera. In the caldera it’s a fun pad for when I’m bored. I feel like it makes caldera more holographic and the dynamics are retained. Bass is a little sucked out but I feel similar about the stock tuning of caldera so it’s not that much an issue for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back