ZMF Atrium - new open-back co-flagship
May 2, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #6,211 of 6,294
anyone else really like the auteur pads ?

Absolutely. One of the best pads for me if I want a slightly more relaxed, warmer sound. I rotate between them and the Universe pads. BE2 Suede and Caldera Ultra perforated are up there too as the best pads, it just depends what mood I'm in.

May 2, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #6,213 of 6,294

Sure, the Mojo 2 can handle the Atrium, but if you're not thinking of getting a decent amp in the future, you might want to consider a different headphone like the Bokeh. Not sure about your budget, but if you're not interested in a tube amp, the Nitsch Pietus is a solid choice for the Atrium. You could use the Mojo 2 as a DAC for a really solid setup.

May 2, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #6,214 of 6,294
anyone else really like the auteur pads ?
I do have the auteur pads and they have become my favorite with ao. The universe are also very fun, but overall, the auteur give me a bit more soundstage, relaxed treable and yet very nice bass.
If I could only have one headphone it would be the AO - I love mine with both OTL tubes and SS. However, for electronic music I really do get more out of my EQ'd LCD-X - it just hits harder and goes lower. That's really the only genre I used them for these days. I have been wondering if the Caldera could be a great upgrade to the LDC-X. While I was willing to buy the AO without listening, I would need to hear a Caldera first before pulling the trigger.
I was in the same boat some time ago.
Long story short. Yes, the caldera is much better for electronic music. It's faster, and more resolving than lcdx, it's also punchier and more accurate timber wise. Although it seems with electronic music it's not so necessary, after some time it's appreciated.
One thing the lcdx does that the caldera doesn't is the way the sound it's presented. For certain frequencies, generally the upper highs the separation seems to be more clear. At least to my ears. Lcdx it's a very good value for money. But I wouldn't use lcdx out of electronic music.
Caldera is a one for all.
My opinion..

May 2, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #6,215 of 6,294
Sure, the Mojo 2 can handle the Atrium, but if you're not thinking of getting a decent amp in the future, you might want to consider a different headphone like the Bokeh. Not sure about your budget, but if you're not interested in a tube amp, the Nitsch Pietus is a solid choice for the Atrium. You could use the Mojo 2 as a DAC for a really solid setup.
It's more of a simple and transportable thing than a budget issue. How big is the gap between using only the Mojo2 and using a nice tube amp? Thank you very much for your help

May 2, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #6,216 of 6,294
It's more of a simple and transportable thing than a budget issue. How big is the gap between using only the Mojo2 and using a nice tube amp? Thank you very much for your help

The gap is quite noticeable with the Atrium when comparing with just the Mojo 2 vs with my tube amp (Icon Audio HP8). As I mentioned, I'd lean towards the Bokeh or the upcoming Bokeh open for a portable setup with the Mojo 2. The Atrium deserves a solid amp to truly shine, otherwise, you're just wasting your money. Good luck!

May 2, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #6,217 of 6,294
Do you think that Mojo2 is powerful enough to move them? I'm a bit scared about tubes
I recently came back to audio after +-3 months, and bought myself Mojo+Poly for that occasion. (I still have my setup listed in the footer, I just didn't have time to use it recently due to frequent travels).

I must admit that I never expected that such a small device can handle the Atriums, in terms of output power, refinement, etc. But it can. I mean, after I plug them to my TT2 or V550 or Feliks Euforia Evo, it's better, but it's not a night and day difference. And you don't really miss anything until you hear the bigger/high-end setup right after Mojo2.

To be honest, I caught myself (unintentionally!) using more Mojo2Poly+AO/AC than my stationary rig. It's just easier when you don't have much time. You don't have to power up the server with the Roon (because my old mac mini sometimes needs some restart/update,etc.), power up DAC and AMP, warm-up the tubes... And sit right next to your setup. With Mojo2, I can just sit on my couch, stream Tidal, and start enjoyment in any place after 10 seconds.

If I were starting the hobby right now, I would avoid the mistake of going equally "high" with electronics and headphones, and go all the way up with the HP or even multiple high-end headphones and only then focused on the electronics. So if you are held off from buying atriums because you are afraid of Mojo2 capabilities - don't be. New headphones will make much more difference than any "reasonable" jump up from Mojo2. And there's an EQ as well :D

May 2, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #6,218 of 6,294
That's great news for me. I'm in love with atrium although I've never tried them, neither any other zmf for that matter. I highly value the capabilities of a system that you can enjoy in different parts of my home and Mojo2 suits that purpose greatly.
I currently have focal elegia and can't wait for the upgrade.

May 2, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #6,219 of 6,294
I love it. You’re in love with a headphone you have never tried. Absolutely don’t blame you after viewing some of these Atrium posts among other glowing Atrium reviews.

May 2, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #6,220 of 6,294
There's no real deficit on either headphones to be honest but you might enjoy the AC over the AO in terms of overall sub-bass quantity. The AO has no shortage of slam and presents some of the most natural and visceral percussion presentation I've heard on a headphone. But if you're looking for sub bass focused headphone the AC is definitely the one to go for. The extra oomph on the AC is something else and though there are others like myself who prefer the AO over most other headphones for other reasons, the sub bass is definitely a unique aspect that is hard to ignore and given your preference the AC is likely the safer blind buy.

Try them out with your headphones first to establish a baseline and start attending trade shows and meets to compare and hear what's what. Ultimately if it sounds good to you there should be very little reason to be concerned with your current setup unless you heard better. Never judge solely on written reviews unless you are willing to spend blindly unless you have the spare cash and definitely don't sell your current setup until you can compare side by side.

Thanks, I wouldn't say that I'm looking for a sub-bass focused HP as such but I have a nagging feeling that I'll miss sub-bass on AO and that will undermine the enjoyment for me with some genres – I'll be thinking "I wonder what AC sounds like with this track?" Although I don't think of myself as a basshead I've realised that I'm sensitive to what I often perceive as a lack of bass, so perhaps that's kind of the same thing. Hopefully AC can be an all-round upgrade on my current Stellias and then in future I can consider AO or perhaps Caldera as a second, complementary pair if the ZMF sound appeals to me as much as I think it will based on the threads here.

I'd love to be able to hear a range of different gear at a trade show but AFAIK there aren't any in New Zealand. Retailers here also don't provide return periods or home demos so unfortunately the only option is to demo in store for the brands that are distributed here. Everything else is a blind buy unless I can catch a CanJam on an overseas trip at some point in the future. Here's hoping!

May 2, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #6,221 of 6,294
Thanks, I wouldn't say that I'm looking for a sub-bass focused HP as such but I have a nagging feeling that I'll miss sub-bass on AO and that will undermine the enjoyment for me with some genres – I'll be thinking "I wonder what AC sounds like with this track?" Although I don't think of myself as a basshead I've realised that I'm sensitive to what I often perceive as a lack of bass, so perhaps that's kind of the same thing. Hopefully AC can be an all-round upgrade on my current Stellias and then in future I can consider AO or perhaps Caldera as a second, complementary pair if the ZMF sound appeals to me as much as I think it will based on the threads here.

I'd love to be able to hear a range of different gear at a trade show but AFAIK there aren't any in New Zealand. Retailers here also don't provide return periods or home demos so unfortunately the only option is to demo in store for the brands that are distributed here. Everything else is a blind buy unless I can catch a CanJam on an overseas trip at some point in the future. Here's hoping!
I’ve tried almost all the ZMF models, and I don’t think any of them have a “lack of bass”. The AC with stock pads clearly has more bass than my OG Auteur, but I never feel like I’m missing any of the music when I listen the Auteur. I personally think you should base your decision on whether you want an open-back or closed-back. I’m lucky enough to have both, but if I had to choose only one ZMF, I’d go with one of the open-backs.

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #6,222 of 6,294

I can understand your worry. I am not a bass head myself and I was worried about the sub bass rolloff myself. I’m so used to the linearity of planars, like the Susvara. It was one of the biggest reasons why I held off for so long on the Atriums. Once I got them, I can say that I don’t really miss the sub bass. It’s not like it’s not present, it is there, but where it may lack it makes up in mid bass. So all that to say, it’s not really lacking in the bass department. It’s got a wonderful, wonderful presentation and quite unique. It’s a headphone that I can use for so many genres and get lost in the music and I hope you get an opportunity to hear it sooner rather than later!

Last edited:
May 2, 2024 at 10:33 PM Post #6,223 of 6,294
Right after posting that, I had to grab mine and start to listen to them!

May 3, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #6,224 of 6,294
I’ve tried almost all the ZMF models, and I don’t think any of them have a “lack of bass”. The AC with stock pads clearly has more bass than my OG Auteur, but I never feel like I’m missing any of the music when I listen the Auteur. I personally think you should base your decision on whether you want an open-back or closed-back. I’m lucky enough to have both, but if I had to choose only one ZMF, I’d go with one of the open-backs.

I can understand your worry. I am not a bass head myself and I was worried about the sub bass rolloff myself. I’m so used to the linearity of planars, like the Susvara. It was one of the biggest reasons why I held off for so long on the Atriums. Once I got them, I can say that I don’t really miss the sub bass. It’s not like it’s not present, it is there, but where it may lack it makes up in mid bass. So all that to say, it’s not really lacking in the bass department. It’s got a wonderful, wonderful presentation and quite unique. It’s a headphone that I can use for so many genres and get lost in the music and I hope you get an opportunity to hear it sooner rather than later!

Ha, yes this is what makes it so tricky! My preference is for open-backed given I don't really need the isolation from closed-back, assuming the bass is sufficient. And certainly my understanding is that AO does have plenty of bass right down until the sub-bass rolloff. Great to hear, @Aetherhole, that the sub-bass is still present, if not as special as AC's, and if it can be EQ'ed up a bit when necessary then that might well be all I need.

This would be a lot more straightforward if I could audition both but there doesn't appear to a retailer in NZ with AO or AC at the moment.

Does the choice of wood for AO affect the bass response or is it largely/purely and aesthetic decision?

May 3, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #6,225 of 6,294

Users who are viewing this thread

Back