ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 15, 2024 at 6:00 AM Post #511 of 907
SET have no strict damping factor rules, but XLR would be the best jack one for DCA cans as they're low in impedance and low in sensitivity

TRS has the lowest output impedance on Aegis so that's the one you'd want to use with DCA headphones. Could try XLR low setting with 11ohms output impedance, might be okay but damping ratio is 2:1.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #512 of 907
They certainly look the part. . .

1000005635.jpg
Happy to report, with just a few hours of burn-in, these Mullard 6L6G are freaking incredible. The realism went up a few levels and this amp continues to scale and just doesn't let up. :astonished: I am in awe once again, and the CC's have never sounded better paired up with this tube combo in the Aegis.

Mullard for the win!

May 15, 2024 at 8:28 AM Post #513 of 907
Female vocals are to die for with the Mullard 6L6G and GZ32 combo, and sound so hauntingly lifelike right now it's nuts.

The staging is something special as well, and is so holographic and expansive it's a little disorienting at first.

Crazy good stuff!!!

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #514 of 907
Female vocals are to die for with the Mullard 6L6G and GZ32 combo, and sound so hauntingly lifelike right now it's nuts.

The staging is something special as well, and is so holographic and expansive it's a little disorienting at first.

Crazy good stuff!!!
You're going to go into melt down when you hear some of the other tubes... so many good options out there that this amp is really the only one you need :L3000:

May 15, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #515 of 907
You're going to go into melt down when you hear some of the other tubes... so many good options out there that this amp is really the only one you need :L3000:
I am already melting with the one's I have. However, I do have quite a few more "heavy hitters" on the way. :wink:

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #516 of 907
I am already melting with the one's I have. However, I do have quite a few more "heavy hitters" on the way. :wink:

Those Mullards look awesome, I'm a little jealous lol.

May 15, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #518 of 907
You're going to go into melt down when you hear some of the other tubes...

I got a pair of NOS Tung-Sol 5881 tubes. This web page recommends them 6l6-tube-reviews

Tung-Sol 5881.jpg

May 15, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #519 of 907
May 15, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #522 of 907
Tung-Sol 5881 are 25 watt tubes. I think we should use only 5R4 rectifiers with them.

IMG_0567-2.jpg

I believe plate dissipation is 23W, so you don't have to limit to 5R4, can use any rectifier. Anything less than 13-14W have to consider what rectifier you're going to use.

May 15, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #523 of 907
I'm still a little unclear on which rectifiers match with which output tubes. If I were to get two NOS rectifiers to go along with the stock one, which two types would cover me to use both higher power output tubes and lower power output tubes? I know it would help to have a little chart showing all the output tubes that match with each type of rectifier.

By the way, what is the stock rectifier in the Aegis? It appears to be the only non-JJ tube in the stock configuration.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #524 of 907
I'm still a little unclear on which rectifiers match with which output tubes. If I were to get two NOS rectifiers to go along with the stock one, which two types would cover me to use both higher power output tubes and lower power output tubes? I know it would help to have a little chart showing all the output tubes that match with each type of rectifier.

By the way, what is the stock rectifier in the Aegis? It appears to be the only non-JJ tube in the stock configuration.

Stock is a Sovtek GZ34 / 5AR4. I'll make a little info guide in my reserved post on the first page and link it tomorrow with rectifier info.

Most rectifiers other than GZ34 / 5AR4 should be okay with low power tubes. GZ32 / 5V4 is also lowish voltage drop so the tubes could still be biased on the hotter side but within spec. Pretty much all other rectifiers are going to have higher voltage drops and will work well with low power tubes, which includes 5U4, 5R4, 5Y3 and their equivalents. If you're considering something and aren't sure feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #525 of 907
Stock is a Sovtek GZ34 / 5AR4. I'll make a little info guide in my reserved post on the first page and link it tomorrow with rectifier info.

Most rectifiers other than GZ34 / 5AR4 should be okay with low power tubes. GZ32 / 5V4 is also lowish voltage drop so the tubes could still be board on the hotter side but within spec. Pretty much all other rectifiers are going to have higher voltage drops and will work well with low power tubes, which includes 5U4, 5R4, 5Y3 and their equivalents. If you're considering something and aren't sure feel free to PM me.
I’m planning on doing a review of the Aegis,
including thoughts on preamping from the Decware. Do you know if there would be any benefit to have matching paired rectifiers in them since they both can use 5U4G?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back