Who prefers O2 over HE90/HE60 or vice versa and why?
Feb 3, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #76 of 102
I just wanted to state that since I wrote my post it has been established that my set might not be functioning 100% so they will go back to Sennheiser. I have also upgraded the IC and PC's and that has given the SR-007 an even bigger edge over the He90 as they are now and showed me how harsh the upper octaves really are. While this driver issue might change my impression on the sound quality the issue of build quality is reaching a critical point. Why can't Sennheiser produce some 20 headphones without a number of them going back for repair.

Feb 3, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #77 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking forward to hearing the HD650 balanced. Somehow between the 3 meets I've attended I've never heard them that way.

Nothing special, believe me.

Feb 3, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #78 of 102
I have listened the Omegas and the Orpheus at the last NY meet out of 4 different amps (ES-1, Concerto, Aristeus, KGSS). In all occasions I liked the Omegas better. I liked the smoothness and relaxed sound. The Orpheus had too much detail that my ears couldnt keep up with.
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #79 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great! i will follow up with your discovery =).

To use the 5963 you'll need pair of Mikhail's "ECC" adapters that's compatible with the 12A*7 varieties of tubes.

Feb 3, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #80 of 102
Sound like the O2 has grown a lot thanks to all the advancement in electrostatic amps. About 2 years ago, people were saying the O2 were not even as good as the L3000. Infact, I didn't even like the O2+KGSS that much. For those who have hear both, which do you like better b/w the ES-1 + HE90 and HV90 + HE90?

Thanks.

Feb 3, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #81 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by purk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound like the O2 has grown a lot thanks to all the advancement in electrostatic amps. About 2 years ago, people were saying the O2 were not even as good as the L3000. Infact, I didn't even like the O2+KGSS that much. For those who have hear both, which do you like better b/w the ES-1 + HE90 and HV90 + HE90?

Thanks.

I think that's a fairly accurate picture of the situation. An L3000 driven off an SDS (even single-ended) would hold up rather well to an Omega 2 driven off a 007t, and that's simply because the amps can't compare.

Feb 3, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #82 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that's a fairly accurate picture of the situation. An L3000 driven off an SDS (even single-ended) would hold up rather well to an Omega 2 driven off a 007t, and that's simply because the amps can't compare.

I've sold my HE60s and rebought L3000s, the L3000s give me something the HE60s can't. To get the HE60's to a decent level, I would have had to have spent quite a large chuck of cash. The L3000s sound great off a maxed millet hybrid..

Feb 3, 2007 at 8:10 PM Post #83 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have listened the Omegas and the Orpheus at the last NY meet out of 4 different amps (ES-1, Concerto, Aristeus, KGSS). In all occasions I liked the Omegas better. I liked the smoothness and relaxed sound. The Orpheus had too much detail that my ears couldnt keep up with.
biggrin.gif

does the concerto sound the same as es-1? I got this feeling that when you mix things in one chassis you are jack of all tricks master of none.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #84 of 102
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Yup, people oftenn fail to recognize the huge elephant in the room: personal taste. OII is just a bit too smooth and relaxed for MY tastes, but that's why there are different headphones around.

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #85 of 102
Interesting observation regarding too much detail with the HE90. IMO it depends on the engineering of the CD. I just got my HE90 back from Sennheiser in Germany, where it's been repaired/upgraded, with the result that its bass is now amazing. When listening to Junior Wells "Come On In This House", the presentation of the HE90 is fabulous (i.e., truly overwhelming), but it's not as good when listening through the R10. But, when listening to a recent recording of Haydn's London Symphonies (Florilegium/Channel Classics CCS SA 19603) the presentation of the HE90 is too detailed, cold, and sterile, while that of the R10 is wonderful. I'm still in the process of trying to figure out which headphone system is best for which recording.

Quote:

biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #86 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my HE90 back from Sennheiser in Germany, where it's been repaired/upgraded, with the result that its bass is now amazing.

U
Upgraded? Could you, please, elaborate a bit on what was upgraded (as opposed to "repaired", though it would be also interesting to know what part of it failed) in a HE90?

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #87 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenhorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
U
Upgraded? Could you, please, elaborate a bit on what was upgraded (as opposed to "repaired", though it would be also interesting to know what part of it failed) in a HE90?

Take a look at my posting number 213 at the following thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...88#post2674888

I sent my HE90 to Sennheiser with the complaint that it lacked bass. It now has plenty of bass.

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:35 PM Post #88 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to state that since I wrote my post it has been established that my set might not be functioning 100% so they will go back to Sennheiser. I have also upgraded the IC and PC's and that has given the SR-007 an even bigger edge over the He90 as they are now and showed me how harsh the upper octaves really are. While this driver issue might change my impression on the sound quality the issue of build quality is reaching a critical point. Why can't Sennheiser produce some 20 headphones without a number of them going back for repair.

This along with other issues is the reason why owning the HE90s is out of the question for me. How much does it cost to replace the drivers; how long do you have to wait... I may look into an R10, maybe or a PS-1, but I need to research and hear both of those before I make a final decision.

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:44 PM Post #89 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snacks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This along with other issues is the reason why owning the HE90s is out of the question for me. How much does it cost to replace the drivers; how long do you have to wait... I may look into an R10, maybe or a PS-1, but I need to research and hear both of those before I make a final decision.

The job on my HE90 was done by Sennheiser under its five year warranty, and therefore at no cost. I sent the HE90 to Germany this past August, and received it back a few days ago.

Feb 3, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #90 of 102
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The job on my HE90 was done by Sennheiser under its five year warranty, and therefore at no cost. I sent the HE90 to Germany this past August, and received it back a few days ago.

Its nice to see that yours were covered under warranty and returned within a few days. An added bonus to you is that they now have more bass.

1. What else was wrong with them besides the lack of bass?
2. What did Sennheiser replace/upgrade?
3. How old are your HE90s?
4. Can you extend the warranty; for how long & how much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back