Vintage OG and Present Day TOTL Impressions
Mar 3, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #1,441 of 1,572
If you’re streaming over Ethernet (I do) why/how does that change your perspective?
Really, not at all. Both USB and Ethernet transfer data asynchronously to a memory buffer inside the DAC, from whence it is typically (in a delta-sigma DAC) upsampled (converted to different data!) into a separate chunk of memory, from whence the new data is clocked synchronously and with high precision into the DAC's conversion engine. The idea that the exact timing (i.e., reclocking) of the arrival of data into that first DAC buffer has any impact on sonics doesn't comport with logic. The other potential bugaboo is noise introduced to a DAC through Ethernet or USB connections. Ethernet is galvanically isolated by mandate of its standard, and any competent modern DAC will offer galvanic isolation on its USB port(s), as well. In the event that noise still actually is an issue in a given system/environment, blindly buying a kilobuck streamer is not a cost-effective way to solve the problem, if it even would.

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #1,442 of 1,572
Really, not at all. Both USB and Ethernet transfer data asynchronously to a memory buffer inside the DAC, from whence it is typically (in a delta-sigma DAC) upsampled (converted to different data!) into a separate chunk of memory, from whence the new data is clocked synchronously and with high precision into the DAC's conversion engine. The idea that the exact timing (i.e., reclocking) of the arrival of data into that first DAC buffer has any impact on sonics doesn't comport with logic. The other potential bugaboo is noise introduced to a DAC through Ethernet or USB connections. Ethernet is galvanically isolated by mandate of its standard, and any competent modern DAC will offer galvanic isolation on its USB port(s), as well. In the event that noise still actually is an issue in a given system/environment, blindly buying a kilobuck streamer is not a cost-effective way to solve the problem, if it even would.

Makes sense. Was confused a bit but your mention of “especially USB DACs”. Thanks for clarifying.

That said, I do use Ethernet for music (from a remotely placed Nucleus+) and USB for computer audio (YouTubes etc). When I compare music from my computer over USB (to same DAC) it’s very audibly less quality than Ethernet source. I assume that has entirely to do with whatever noise my computer may introduce at the source end (not related to DAC) but the digital domain isn’t something I understand well enough except to know what the outcome sounds like..

Mar 4, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #1,443 of 1,572
Makes sense. Was confused a bit but your mention of “especially USB DACs”. Thanks for clarifying.

That said, I do use Ethernet for music (from a remotely placed Nucleus+) and USB for computer audio (YouTubes etc). When I compare music from my computer over USB (to same DAC) it’s very audibly less quality than Ethernet source. I assume that has entirely to do with whatever noise my computer may introduce at the source end (not related to DAC) but the digital domain isn’t something I understand well enough except to know what the outcome sounds like..
It could be a number of things, and I'd have to look at your specific equipment and its configuration to offer any informed suggestions... which I'd be more than happy to do! :relaxed:

Mar 4, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #1,444 of 1,572
This is actually good question and I was going to edit my prior post. Hard to get advice without it.

Right now:

-Lampi (The Atlantic TRP - the Pacific, all only on used prices)
-Grimm Audio MU2
-PBD MPD-6 or 8
-DCS (would love to audition again, my only hesitation is the pricing of models that may not be full upgrades, but my opinion with more experience could change)
-Holo May
-Rockna Wavedream

I know there are so many more options and great DACs, too many really lol. And some of the above I know *may* not be absolute upgrades, but I was figuring I'd target them as secondary units if I went forward with the Dave mod upgrades.

Lumin P1 or X1 (fiber optic connection really does make a difference).

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #1,446 of 1,572
I
Has anyone actually compared the Grimm Audio MU2 and Playback Designs MOD-8. I can’t find any comparisons. They are high on my list.
I’ve not tried them side by side, but these two DACs sound very different. The MPD-8 is a very rich and organic sounding DAC. By that I mean that it has a very corporeal and weighty sound. System matching is key so if your headphones or amp can be lean sounding the MPD-8 is an excellent option.

MU2 takes on a more linear and neutral approach. The midrange on MU2 is very special, perhaps some of the best I’ve heard in a DAC, just based on how real they sound. The bass here is also well done, but I suspect MPD-8 will hit harder with more body where as MU2 will be more accurate and detailed. MU2 to me is a very relaxed sound, but somehow it still manages to be super dynamic. If you’ve used the MU1 with other DACs you will see some of those attributes come through.

Mar 7, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #1,447 of 1,572
I

I’ve not tried them side by side, but these two DACs sound very different. The MPD-8 is a very rich and organic sounding DAC. By that I mean that it has a very corporeal and weighty sound. System matching is key so if your headphones or amp can be lean sounding the MPD-8 is an excellent option.

MU2 takes on a more linear and neutral approach. The midrange on MU2 is very special, perhaps some of the best I’ve heard in a DAC, just based on how real they sound. The bass here is also well done, but I suspect MPD-8 will hit harder with more body where as MU2 will be more accurate and detailed. MU2 to me is a very relaxed sound, but somehow it still manages to be super dynamic. If you’ve used the MU1 with other DACs you will see some of those attributes come through.
Thanks, here is my current chain.

Power connected to Isotek EVO3 Aquarius with EVO3 Premier Power cable -> 2013 27” iMac -> Moon Audio Black Dragon USB Cable -> PLiXiR Statement BDC Dual Linear Power Supply 15V/6A/DC 2.5 with DH Labs Corona - Chord M-Scaler -> Wave High Fidelity Storm Reference Oyaide Dual BNC Cables -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Danacable Sapphire Reference Mk.2 RCA Interconnect Cables -> Riviera AIC-10 with Telefunken G73-R Black Coated NOS Tubes & DH Labs Red Wave -> Danacable Lazuli Nirvana Adapter with Spades -> Danacable Lazuli Nirvana -> Hifiman Susvara

I plan to replace the Chord Hugo TT2/MScaler combo and move to the bedroom. I don’t have a way to audition in my system. I have an opportunity to audition the MSB Premire. But I think the MPD-8 or MU2 would suit me better.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:48 AM Post #1,448 of 1,572
Thanks, here is my current chain.

Power connected to Isotek EVO3 Aquarius with EVO3 Premier Power cable -> 2013 27” iMac -> Moon Audio Black Dragon USB Cable -> PLiXiR Statement BDC Dual Linear Power Supply 15V/6A/DC 2.5 with DH Labs Corona - Chord M-Scaler -> Wave High Fidelity Storm Reference Oyaide Dual BNC Cables -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Danacable Sapphire Reference Mk.2 RCA Interconnect Cables -> Riviera AIC-10 with Telefunken G73-R Black Coated NOS Tubes & DH Labs Red Wave -> Danacable Lazuli Nirvana Adapter with Spades -> Danacable Lazuli Nirvana -> Hifiman Susvara

I plan to replace the Chord Hugo TT2/MScaler combo and move to the bedroom. I don’t have a way to audition in my system. I have an opportunity to audition the MSB Premire. But I think the MPD-8 or MU2 would suit me better.

What are you looking for in your move from the TT2/Mscaler? More of the same signature but with general improvements? Or are you looking for more of a shift in signature or improvements in specific areas? Simply curious on my end with my interest in a shift from Dave.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #1,450 of 1,572
I haven't updated this thread much on the Spirit Torino Valkyria... but yet another session of dedicating all listening time to them and nothing else. Quite telling tbh as this is usually just not the case.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #1,452 of 1,572
Adding to the list of checking out!

This was also on my list after seeing pop up a bit repetitively. And this made me think. I may need to shift my perspective. Maybe it doesn't have to be entirely better, and rather different. I see myself staying within the Klipsch line as I upgrade speakers, or maybe going the ribbon speaker route, so a completely different dac (not as clinical as Dave) could be a good complement.
Something new for your list:
FB_IMG_1710770224840.jpg

Thomas Mayers Heritage DAC with 801A Tubes.

Heritage DAC Blog entry

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #1,453 of 1,572
Mar 18, 2024 at 11:01 AM Post #1,454 of 1,572
Mar 19, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #1,455 of 1,572
That leaning tube is defamatory. :laughing:

To be honest, if I am considering one of Mayer's amps, he'd have to change the aesthetic design. It's too flat and without matching pedigree feels empty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back