THX AAA 789 Replacement
May 28, 2019 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

mixman

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for a replacement amp for my THX 789. Primarily looking for better SQ, at least equal power output or better and also balanced. Let’s try for the $1,500 - $1,800 range or less is always better too.

May 28, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 56
define better...what is it that you dont like about it?
Looking for the best sound quality I can get at like $1,500 or so. I am starting to buy some TOTL cans and feel now I need a better amp to power them.

May 29, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #5 of 56
Keep your Amp man..

I might still keep the THX but thinking about something more detailed, better soundstage and maybe a little more power.

May 29, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #7 of 56
You are going to have to spend more than $1,500 to do better than the THX 789, the Benchmark HPA4 might be an upgrade due to name brand and price alone.

May 29, 2019 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 56
What is it that you don't like about your current amp?

Actually I think the amp on the RME is actually a bit better. It is more detailed and resolving. It's just under powered compared to the THX.

You are going to have to spend more than $1,500 to do better than the THX 789, the Benchmark HPA4 might be an upgrade due to name brand and price alone.

Wouldn't amps like the Liquid Platinum, ICan Pro and even a Master 9 be better amps?

May 29, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 56
Actually I think the amp on the RME is actually a bit better. It is more detailed and resolving. It's just under powered compared to the THX.

You're possibly the first person I've witnessed stating this. Are you using any kind of balanced cables or high gain settings?

May 29, 2019 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 56
Read in the RME thread. Some mention the amps are really close. I know I am going to say something sacrilegious here, but the THX is not a super amp. It is a good amp that happens to perform above its price point but from hearing from others it does not compete in all aspects with some of the better amps, especially in SQ.

May 29, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 56
Read in the RME thread. Some mention the amps are really close. I know I am going to say something sacrilegious here, but the THX is not a super amp. It is a good amp that happens to perform above its price point but from hearing from others it does not compete in all aspects with some of the better amps, especially in SQ.
RME ADI 2 PRO has double the amp of the dac

May 29, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #12 of 56
Wouldn't amps like the Liquid Platinum, ICan Pro and even a Master 9 be better amps?
Objectively speaking, the THX AAA will almost assuredly run circles around all those (especially the tube ones) but if what you seek in an amp is 'flavors' then yes, they're probably better for you. Though I think these days you might surprisingly find the flavors you want on much lower priced stuff.

Or just play around with ADI-2 eq. Your call.

May 29, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #13 of 56
RME ADI 2 PRO has double the amp of the dac

That I know, but it costs twice as much and the A/D is not needed.

Objectively speaking, the THX AAA will almost assuredly run circles around all those (especially the tube ones) but if what you seek in an amp is 'flavors' then yes, they're probably better for you. Though I think these days you might surprisingly find the flavors you want on much lower priced stuff.

Or just play around with ADI-2 eq. Your call.

Well according to Currawong and others, the Master 9 is very clean and neutral, no flavor. Now you can't tell me that the THX will fully stand up to a GSX- mini?

May 29, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 56
Haha okay then. This hobby would have been super simple were more money thrown equals to 'always (subjectively) better', I would love that actually.

Just go get what you want to get.

May 29, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #15 of 56
Haha okay then. This hobby would have been super simple were more money thrown equals to 'always (subjectively) better', I would love that actually.

Just go get what you want to get.

I am definitely not a believer in the "just because it's more expensive, it's better" philosophy. There is expensive crap out there. Now, you may be someone who believes there is little or no difference in the sound of different headamps. In that case, I would have to disagree. I do believe there are better head amps than the THX and I am just trying to find out which are the best of them within my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back