The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
May 15, 2024 at 7:19 AM Post #3,676 of 3,733
AudioBunny or AudioDuck?
Are you having an identity crisis?
IMG_9353.jpeg

That reminds me of a guitar pedal somebody asked me to build a while back.

vjBgwru.jpg

May 15, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #3,677 of 3,733
The Aegis and CC pairing is just bonkers good folks!

1000005643.jpg

For anyone looking for an Endgame tube amp, that can make all ZMF's sing to their full potential, the Aegis is it without a doubt.

May 15, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #3,678 of 3,733
Loaded question incoming. For those who have the Aegis (DIY or ZMF version) and OTL tube amp and ZMF dynamic drivers. Do you prefer ZMF DD on the Aegis or on an OTL?

I have the Aegis and thoroughly enjoy my ZMFs on the Aegis but have a nagging feeling that I still want an OTL amp 😅

May 15, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #3,679 of 3,733
Loaded question incoming. For those who have the Aegis (DIY or ZMF version) and OTL tube amp and ZMF dynamic drivers. Do you prefer ZMF DD on the Aegis or on an OTL?

I have the Aegis and thoroughly enjoy my ZMFs on the Aegis but have a nagging feeling that I still want an OTL amp 😅

I think, if I could only have a single tube amp, I would go Aegis as it is super versatile, but I'm not a one-amp person, so I would also want to own an OTL amp.

As far as preference, some of that depends on the day, the tubes used, and my mood. Which is part of why I am not a one-amp person. At the moment, it appears I'm not even a six amp person. :wink:

May 15, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #3,680 of 3,733
I think, if I could only have a single tube amp, I would go Aegis as it is super versatile, but I'm not a one-amp person, so I would also want to own an OTL amp.

As far as preference, some of that depends on the day, the tubes used, and my mood. Which is part of why I am not a one-amp person. At the moment, it appears I'm not even a six amp person. :wink:
Curious which amps do you own other than Aegis?

May 15, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #3,681 of 3,733

I think being a 3-amp person ain't bad. I currently have the Aegis. And my V281 covers solid state. So maybe an OTL and I'll be content. (For a little while).

Also it doesn't help that for the past 2 CanJam NYC I've heard the modded bottlehead crack (I think it was done by Kevin?) and that thing sounds amazing.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #3,682 of 3,733
Curious which amps do you own other than Aegis?

Well, I have two Aegii (Aeguses).

But I have:

Aegis (DIY)
Aegis (ZMF Pre-Production)
Cayin HA-6A
Sinfonia 300B power amp (that I use as a headphone amp)
LTA MZ2 w/LPS+
Woo Audio WA6
Woo Audio WA8
Airmid (on loan from Zach)
Benchmark HPA4 (which is also my primary amp for measurements)
Violectric DHA-V226

DACs with headphone outputs:

Chord TT2/MScaler
iFi iDSD Pro Sig

I also have a decent bit of portable stuff. There's probably something I'm forgetting, but that's most of it.

May 15, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #3,683 of 3,733
I think being a 3-amp person ain't bad. I currently have the Aegis. And my V281 covers solid state. So maybe an OTL and I'll be content. (For a little while).

Also it doesn't help that for the past 2 CanJam NYC I've heard the modded bottlehead crack (I think it was done by Kevin?) and that thing sounds amazing.

Realistically, I think an Aegis, a V281 and an OTL amp would cover most of the ground that any person would need. That's a great triple play there.

May 15, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #3,684 of 3,733
I use the Feliks Euforia (OTL)
and a Tc amplifier from an Australian amp builder.
The Australian amp is very versatile, even more versatile than the Aegis but never mind.
I use it mainly for the Atrium but also Auteur classic.
Also because it has more power and handles certain things better.
The Euforia, on the other hand, is really flat with its standard tubes.
But it blossoms when you get involved with the Kt66/88, EL34 and more.
Then you can really hear the advantages of the Otl and the Tc amplifier.
I like both depending on the mood.
But I will also say that there might be some who would prefer just one.
So it's more of a personal choice and a question of taste.
And in the end a little bit of everything,dac,different headphones and how well they respond overall to the amp.
Since we are talking about Zmf alone, they will get the best out of this amplifier topology and would say the listener alone decides and how self-critical he is about it.
Which otl you choose in the end is difficult because there are not many on the market.
The Euforia might sound better here and there, and I'm sure there will be differences between the Otl's as well.
So overall it's difficult to judge, even if you don't have a lot of comparisons.

May 15, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #3,685 of 3,733
For a mid-Fi(ish) triple play in the $1K-$1.5K per amp range, here are a few I'd recommend for ZMFs based on what I've tried/own:

Solid state: V222 or V202 (single-ended) which is about $1K less than V281 minus the gain adjustable line outs, and a bit less power than the 281, but still retains the full, warm and smooth characteristic of the V2 series. Superb engineering and quality from the Lake People/Violectric/Nimbus team. Homage is also a solid recommendation pretty close in sound quality when I did a comparison of the two.

Multi-tap Output Transformer Tube: Icon Audio HP8, base model ~$1.5K. Works very well with the Caldera and dynamics and it has an impressive powerful sonic presence about it. The impedance matching switch works nicely for a range of HP's. I'm loving it with several music genres especially various rock and vintage recordings on the Atrium Open. Solid like a British Mark V tank, well built, nice slim desktop size and the casing does not get uncomfortably hot.

Tube OTL: Decware for dynamics. I tried the versions ZMF set up at the NYC CanJams and thoroughly enjoyed the spacious, holographic experience. I have a CSP3 base model on order with Decware at less than $1.5K. FYI, they have a very long waiting list. Put my order in back in early 2022 and still have a few more months to go but I know it'll be worth the wait. If I'd known earlier about the ZMF/Decware collaboration I may have gone that direction but it was above my price target at the time.

I also ordered an LTA Velo when they had a recent promotional sale and looking forward to it arriving soon. I enjoyed speaking with them at CanJam and they had ZMF HPs at their table for the demos.

Edit: corrected the description of HP8

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #3,686 of 3,733
For a mid-Fi(ish) triple play in the $1K-$1.5K per amp range, here are a few I'd recommend for ZMFs based on what I've tried/own:

Solid state: V222 or V202 (single-ended) which is about $1K less than V281 minus the gain adjustable line outs, and a bit less power than the 281, but still retains the full, warm and smooth characteristic of the V2 series. Superb engineering and quality from the Lake People/Violectric/Nimbus team.

Transformer Coupled Tube Amp: Icon Audio HP8, base model ~$1.5K. Works very well with the Caldera and dynamics and it has an impressive powerful sonic presence about it. I'm loving it with several music genres especially various rock and vintage recordings on the Atrium Open. Solid like a British Mark V tank, well built, and nice desktop size.

Tube OTL: Decware for dynamics. I tried the versions ZMF set up at the NYC CanJams and thoroughly enjoyed the spacious, holographic experience. I have a CSP3 base model on order with Decware at less than $1.5K. FYI, they have a very long waiting list. Put my order in back in early 2022 and still have a few more months to go but I know it'll be worth the wait. If I'd known earlier about the ZMF/Decware collaboration I may have gone that direction but it was above my price target at the time.

I also ordered an LTA Velo when they had a recent promotional sale and looking forward to it arriving soon. I enjoyed speaking with them at CanJam and they had ZMF HPs at their table for the demos.

The Icon HP8 is one that I've never had a chance to experience, but would like to one of these days.

May 15, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #3,687 of 3,733

I have Blue Halo OTL amplifier. It sounds quite different from Aegis. Soundstage is smaller and more intimate on the OTL amp. It also sounds more tubey (boosted mid-low frequencies). I prefer Aegis but it is more a question of personal preference. Someone might prefer OTL for its more "organic" sound (great for vocal music).

May 15, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #3,688 of 3,733
Realistically, I think an Aegis, a V281 and an OTL amp would cover most of the ground that any person would need. That's a great triple play there.

I think this is the dream setup right there. A really good solid-state, SET and OTL, not that anyone would *need* every type. I couldn't live without a solid-state because of how different it sounds from tubes and because it's been a sound reference for so long for me. I do have my eyes on a good versatile SET amp in the future and Aegis is definitely up there.

May 15, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #3,689 of 3,733
I think my main goal for the OTL would be to have a really holographic sound. Heard the Atrium Opens on an OTL and it was really holographic and amazing.

May 15, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #3,690 of 3,733
I think my main goal for the OTL would be to have a really holographic sound. Heard the Atrium Opens on an OTL and it was really holographic and amazing.
Your not getting holographic staging with your Aegis? I can't imagine it getting any more holographic than what I am hearing with Aegis. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back