The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 25, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #29,011 of 29,013
I agree - may I suggest a new dac? 😄

I am still not sure which direction to take, those older MSBs floating around in the used market sure look tempting though.

My early SN (6XXX) just arrived and surprisingly these don't sound as sibilant as my older pair (SN 2XXXX) that I used to have. Very promising first listen, should be even more interesting after I replace the pads and headband with new ones (they're completely deflated). Maybe I'm just getting older so the sibilance doesn't bother me as much anymore? :sweat:

May 25, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #29,012 of 29,013
I am still not sure which direction to take, those older MSBs floating around in the used market sure look tempting though.

My early SN (6XXX) just arrived and surprisingly these don't sound as sibilant as my older pair (SN 2XXXX) that I used to have. Very promising first listen, should be even more interesting after I replace the pads and headband with new ones (they're completely deflated). Maybe I'm just getting older so the sibilance doesn't bother me as much anymore? :sweat:
What are you looking for in terms of sound profile and performance? I presume you have your power sorted out and got good grounding on your gear.

The only shortcomings I see are your dacs. The price for next big step up in quality is pretty steep - $15k+ (APL, Emm Labs, PBD). Grimm MU2 is also worth considering (I heard it once and liked it but too soon to make any judgement).

May 26, 2024 at 3:17 AM Post #29,013 of 29,013
I want to share some of my experience with Melco S100 afterdark mod. After putting the switch into my chain and after a few days of running I stream the music from my roon via Mac Mini M1 to my Melco N100. I can feel the a little more details, and the soundstage expands to a better degree both in width, depth. All experiences are just with stock smps for both Melco products. Very impressive headphone that reflects and evolutes every upgraded part in equipments.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back