The Headphone Driver Pics Thread
May 15, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #2,252 of 2,256
what I still cant fathom is why the SR-X never had the over ear pads of the SR-5. Probably to keep the neutrality? Eitherway thats my big issue with the SR-Xmk3.

Still not as bad as the gamma/alpha

Not going to say I've figured out all the ins and outs of this crazy game of over-ears vs on ears...

but on-ears almost are like GIANT earbuds which bypass the ear shape of individuals and just shoot the sound straight into ear canals.

Very different experiences like with dt48 with DT48S pads vs on ear pads and dt480s ...

Over ears, and it's a toss up hoping one does not have ears too grotesque to allow for smooth and natural audio reproduction.

Just something i've been thinking about this week as I've been enjoying an on-ear.... which i never thought would be possible

May 15, 2024 at 6:53 AM Post #2,253 of 2,256
Not going to say I've figured out all the ins and outs of this crazy game of over-ears vs on ears...

but on-ears almost are like GIANT earbuds which bypass the ear shape of individuals and just shoot the sound straight into ear canals.

Very different experiences like with dt48 with DT48S pads vs on ear pads and dt480s ...

Over ears, and it's a toss up hoping one does not have ears too grotesque to allow for smooth and natural audio reproduction.

Just something i've been thinking about this week as I've been enjoying an on-ear.... which i never thought would be possible
I think there are on ears that can be good, even vintage ones like the SV-2 I showed, but often times its bad.

I found the best sounding ones are the ones with the most minimal of shapes or padding, or the earpad themselves are a giant foam

May 15, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #2,254 of 2,256
I found the best sounding ones are the ones with the most minimal of shapes or padding, or the earpad themselves are a giant foam

Not going to say 100% that is true as fact .

But I had a very similar though come to mind this week that those Giant foam or flat foam pads give quite an interesting experience vs on ear and over ears

If you think about it , even KOSS porta pro and their brothers are mysteriously loved by such a large and diverse group of people, and it is an on ear with just foam layer.

Less known example... the ergo precide or w/e which has a dynamic driver GLUED to a sheet of metal grill and had a GIANT flat foam on it.... and the biggest Beyerdynamic obsessed person claimed it was the "least engineered" headphone which he thought was "better than a dt880" which he thought was "the only headphone a man every needs"

so yeah .... the mysteries of the foam earpad mang

May 15, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #2,255 of 2,256
Not going to say 100% that is true as fact .

But I had a very similar though come to mind this week that those Giant foam or flat foam pads give quite an interesting experience vs on ear and over ears

If you think about it , even KOSS porta pro and their brothers are mysteriously loved by such a large and diverse group of people, and it is an on ear with just foam layer.

Less known example... the ergo precide or w/e which has a dynamic driver GLUED to a sheet of metal grill and had a GIANT flat foam on it.... and the biggest Beyerdynamic obsessed person claimed it was the "least engineered" headphone which he thought was "better than a dt880" which he thought was "the only headphone a man every needs"

so yeah .... the mysteries of the foam earpad mang
The SV-2 has a cloth layer over the foam.

I think it can kinda make sense if you have an acoustically transparent foam.

On the flipside the sr-x have no foam whatsover.

Guess the important thing is how the driver is engineered or how the headphone is engineered around the driver as in the case of Stax. Its definetely intentional that the SR-5 has a much more different sound signature

May 16, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #2,256 of 2,256
IMG_6920.jpeg
IMG_6912.jpeg

Legendary HD600(black paper screen) driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back