The discovery thread!
May 15, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #101,611 of 103,551
For me the Tri Clarions have often ended up being a "last resort" option if I just can't get a good fit with anything else. I think because they're so wide and stiff they tend to equalize out a lot of differences between IEM shell shapes.

Not that I don't enjoy their sound in general, I often do quite a bit, but they feel like a consistent 7-8/10 on fit whereas other tips can occasionally get a little better than that on a 1 off basis depending on the IEM.
Stiff? They’re probably the softest tips I’ve tried and I’ve had at least 20 different types of aftermarket tips.

May 15, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #101,612 of 103,551
The sound seems more complete in the Polaris. It is possible that it has better bass and more developed treble, but I would have to compare after work.

D-Fi has nice timbre.

I like a lot moded Castor Bass too (by @DynamicEars recipte) it's very cheap nowadays, those are with Polaris and Trio are my favorites budget iems
I'm pulling the trigger on the Polaris, since I have to buy my wife's Skims for our wedding vow renewal, as well as some backing boards for my business, so since I'm using her Amazon card, I'm throwing it in. lol It's cheap, at $20.00, so why not?

May 15, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #101,613 of 103,551
Stiff? They’re probably the softest tips I’ve tried and I’ve had at least 20 different types of aftermarket tips.
Huh. I have a pretty good selection and yea, overall I'd call the Tri Clarions relatively stiff. They kinda need to be given how cavernous that nozzle rim is.

Not disagreeing with your perception at all, but yeah I wouldn't call them soft personally.

May 15, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #101,614 of 103,551
Huh. I have a pretty good selection and yea, overall I'd call the Tri Clarions relatively stiff. They kinda need to be given how cavernous that nozzle rim is.

Not disagreeing with your perception at all, but yeah I wouldn't call them soft personally.
What size do you use? The large are really soft and collapse with barely any pressure.

May 15, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #101,615 of 103,551
I'm a sucker for 1DD's so I wanted to ask if some more people jumped on the INTUAURA Splendor II yet?
They popped up on HiFiGo and I tried to find some more info here. Read @Argha's review on them (though they had a different color which HiFiGo doesn't seem to offer) and became interested. Right now I listen to the Himalaya and really dig them a lot.
$260 for a single DD? The times they are a changin'. I wouldn't be caught dead paying almost $300 with tax for a single DD when the $90 EA500LM takes you on such a fabulous journey. Hell, or the EA1000 or the OD200 or the.....

May 15, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #101,616 of 103,551
$260 for a single DD? The times they are a changin'. I wouldn't be caught dead paying almost $300 with tax for a single DD when the $90 EA500LM takes you on such a fabulous journey. Hell, or the EA1000 or the OD200 or the.....
Driver configuration/count is nowhere near as important as tuning…

May 15, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #101,617 of 103,551
Umm my personal favourite is a $930 single dd set :/ Now you making me feel guilty :L3000:

May 15, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #101,618 of 103,551
May 15, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #101,619 of 103,551
Ciao ragazzo, it'sa has nano inside! :beerchug:

Joke aside, yes, you're right, 300 for a single DD Chifi is tough... I liked how they were described and after a blind buy, I have to say they're still totally worth these 300... sound perception is, we know it all, extremely individual, but they just tick so many of my boxes and these drivers seem well developed and integrated and they truly deserve more praise overall... and then the tuning: steep drop in the female voice sibilance region makes them sound strange on the paper, but it's in reality true joy and female voices have still enough presence, and also the dip between 2.5 and 4.5 kHz is clearly a try to get annoying male sibilance reduced... with success IMHO.

btw, I have a relative to the EA500LM, the EM6L and they're quite good for a little over 100 bucks.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #101,620 of 103,551
I DAC/AMP'd my very portable and very great sounding Sony A17 for the first time. I typically don't need to amp it due to my purchasing it directly from Japan, where it hasn't been down throttled like so many other domestically sold Sony DAPS (though it's in Japanese, and unlike some of the other Sony models, you can't reset it in english, but I have an old dead A15, and the functions are pretty much identical, so I follow them as if it was the English ver sequence, and it works just fine). But I did notice that the Trio is a bit of a juice hog, and I've been using my A17 more nowadays, so I added a DAC/AMP to it to give it just a bit more power, and it sounds very close if not identical to my Mr Walkman modded A45 and A55 or my WM1A (close, but if I amp my WM1A, then it soars way beyond).

As for current preference, I'm leaning towards the ST7 as my current favorite IEM for most genres outside of heavy metal/hard rock, and the Trio for my heaviest of music. It's still such a champ for metal of all sub-genres and hard rock. LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL! ~~awaiting the Hydro to shake it all up again~~

May 15, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #101,621 of 103,551
I guess you refer to the Himalaya, and if so, I just have no other choice as to agree... Even though I have 2 way more expensive IEMs here and tried/sold others.

This 1DD with this dual layer carbon nanotube coating thing and the special tuning makes some kind of magic. It is at the same time very detailed but still far far away from fatiguing, actually rather relaxed and super engaging sounding. Tuning managed that sibilance is so well under control but still you get lots of detail in these freq ranges.
Really impressively well done 1DD and I like, that even if some www reviews were mixed, the community here knows exactly what the Himalaya are able to deliver.
I even dare to say that they play above their price point. So, here you have it. 😜💪👏
NiceHCK have always managed to handle CNT's skillfully. Singularly or in hybrids, they know how to tune a CNT with aplomb.

May 15, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #101,622 of 103,551
Tip-rolling discoveries are so underrated! Let this message reach whoever needs to hear it.

I tip-rolled my AüR Aure again after experiencing a bit of discomfort with the stiff (duh.., obviously, they have a metal insert) Coreirs.

Since I don't feel like spending a whole day on tiprolling through all the tips I've got, I chose the two pairs I know I felt very comfortable with using before.

Spinfit W1s ultimately won (pictured on the IEMs), followed closely by the Tri Clarions. W1s have a much thinner bore compared to Clarions, however they felt as if they cleaned the bass a bit nicer as well as kept more brightness for Aure's main attraction - The Vocals - to shine.

Clarions provide a better sense of openness to the mix and allow more space for individual imagery, though, so essentially I could use both depending on the scenario.

1000013404.jpg
Absolutely stunning looking IEMs! Where can i get a pair? LOL I'm still tip rolling these things to find the best synergy. Currently I have Spiral Dots on them, but I've tried the Coreir, W1, Liquors, S&S, Xelestecs, C360, and Sancai's to name a few.

May 15, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #101,624 of 103,551
I know. I say Lacquer because that's what Penon mean to call them. Licquor makes absolutely no sense unless they made them with a dash of alcohol in them? lol They have a Lacquer finish, but yeah, the official name to search is Liquor tips.
Lost in translation maybe?? Let's hope they don't confuse Liquor tips with a Lacquer finish and end up with ??.....Liquorice !! (aka magic sauce delish !!)

May 15, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #101,625 of 103,551
Speaking of tip rolling, I landed on the Coreir brass tips for the CCA Trio. So far I'm impressed with this combo. I had Spiral Dots on them for the most part, but I like the openness and treble quality with these tips, not to mention they insert deep, so comfy fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back